The Trouble City Forums
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=155331)

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - hammerhead - 04-13-2021

Actually, I'd recommend ONLY watching the second tape.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 04-13-2021

What was bewildering was that by the end of the first tape the attack on Pearl Harbor was finished. Like, what the fuck else would a movie about Pearl Harbor be?

The answer: just more bullshit.

Also: LOL

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 04-13-2021

(04-13-2021, 12:15 AM)hammerhead Wrote: Actually, I'd recommend ONLY watching the second tape.

Cuba Gooding needed a bigger part.  He's much better than Ben Affleck.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 04-13-2021

(04-13-2021, 12:21 AM)Overlord Wrote:
(04-13-2021, 12:15 AM)hammerhead Wrote: Actually, I'd recommend ONLY watching the second tape.

Cuba Gooding needed a bigger part.  He's much better than Ben Affleck.

[Image: nGMrD.gif]

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Judas Booth - 04-13-2021

As shitty as that movie is, the attack on Pearl Harbor itself is an action masterpiece.

(04-13-2021, 12:29 AM)Judas Booth Wrote: As shitty as that movie is, the attack on Pearl Harbor itself is an action masterpiece.

Really the only compliment we could think at the time. Later my dad saw a clip of the film on TV and he thought it looked so impressive, we told him that’s all he had to see.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - bradito - 04-13-2021

It would've been funny if the movie had gone the "Inglorious Basterds" route, so America won the battle and the whole ass war that day.

Ben Affleck initially turned down the movie, saying “Michael Bay is directing this shit, so it’ll probably have the US win the war at Pearl Harbor”. A few weeks later REINDEER GAMES came out bombed, and he took the gig that weekend.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - engineer - 04-13-2021

The PEARL HARBOR teaser trailer was so good, it fooled me into thinking that Bay had matured and made a properly excellent film.
I was so naive.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - freeman - 04-13-2021

Did you know his characters name in that movie is Rudy?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - bradito - 04-13-2021

I forgot how heroically somber the Pearl Harbor score is.

Music to listen to while drinkin' in the shower.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - engineer - 04-13-2021

(04-13-2021, 01:17 AM)bradito Wrote: I forgot how heroically somber the Pearl Harbor score is.

Music to listen to while drinkin' in the shower.

If you mean that piece from the teaser, that was actually borrowed from THE THIN RED LINE.

I can't recall the actual PEARL HARBOR score, come to think of it.

Well, I was at least in the correct theatre.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - simbob - 04-13-2021

Oh, I see what you did.

That's a very specific reference.

(04-12-2021, 06:06 PM)Judas Booth Wrote:
(04-12-2021, 06:04 PM)bradito Wrote: I wish Stephen Summers would get sprung from the director gulag. His G.I. Joe movie was... pretty good!

I'd be up for him getting another shot at the big time.  I just want someone to go through his scripts first and trim out his worst impulses to go 'too big.'

hey Bradito: did you ever see ODD THOMAS?  I've never seen it nor heard much about it.

Odd Thomas kind of feels like a tv version of John Dies at the End. It feels kind of like a pilot for the CW version of John Dies at the End; like it's weird, and it's similar to John Dies at the End, but it's not as weird as John Dies at the End. The two movies come out about a year apart too.

I did like it despite it having a lot of little thing that in theory I'd find annoying in it.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - hammerhead - 04-13-2021

(04-13-2021, 01:28 AM)engineer Wrote: I can't recall the actual PEARL HARBOR score, come to think of it.

The love theme is basically the first couple bars of "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus".

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 04-13-2021

PEARL HARBOR is one the few films I left the theater actively angry at having paid to watch such a piece of shit.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Judas Booth - 04-13-2021

There are a couple of ways to approach the subject matter of something like Pearl Harbor:
- you can craft a fictional story set against the backdrop of a major historical event and make the focus of the movie that fictional story. This is what we got with PEARL HARBOR
- you can craft a film solely using the actual characters and events that were present, focusing on real people and their heroic actions. This is what we got with the remake of MIDWAY

Personally, I'll take MIDWAY any day.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 04-13-2021

I have no problems with using fictional characters to dramatize/personal a historic disaster/tragedy.

I have many problems when it's done as stupidly and hamfistedly as done in PEARL HARBOR.

They were clearly - ahem - gunning for some of that sweet, sweet TITANIC box office. They just forgot to craft characters that 1) seemed human and 2) we gave a shit about.

It was definitely riffing on TITANIC, no doubt about it. I even used to joke that we were not too long from seeing a 9/11 film that used the same formula.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - first class 782 - 04-13-2021

Who would have thought that Michael Bay wasn't the storyteller/director that Jim Cameron was???

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 04-13-2021

(04-13-2021, 10:19 AM)Judas Booth Wrote: Personally, I'll take MIDWAY any day.

I definitely prefer the ending of Midway to Pearl Harbor's.

Never watched MIDWAY. I saw who directed it and thought “nah”.

(04-13-2021, 06:15 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: Never watched MIDWAY. I saw who directed it and thought “nah”.

Give it a go.  I think it's Emmerich's best film.

(04-13-2021, 06:16 PM)Judas Booth Wrote:
(04-13-2021, 06:15 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: Never watched MIDWAY. I saw who directed it and thought “nah”.

Really?  Over Stargate, Universal Soldier, or Independence Day?

I'll have to check it out.

I’m good never seeing an Emmerich movie ever again.

"2012" is one I've been meaning to revisit. What a blast.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - simbob - 04-13-2021

While I'm sure Pearl Harbor doesn't happen without Titanic given all the money it made, and how much money they wanted from Disney to make it, (although they had made Disney a lot of money with The Rock and Armageddon) I'd imagine Bruckheimer and Bay were probably thinking more about doing some modern mega blockbuster of classic Peral Harbor romance movie From Here to Eternity.

2012 is the best Emmerich movie I've seen. It's like everything you want from a Emmerich disaster movie, and he's at the top of his game while doing it.

I'd been avoided it for years because of The Day After Tomorrow and the painfully boring 10,000 BC. But I watched it like last year I think it was, maybe the year before, and it was great. I haven't gone back to work my way through the other stuff, but I'd be surprised if anything else was as bad as 10,000 BC; which sucks, because Roland Emmerich doing his caveman / Conan the Barbarian movie shouldn't be as boring as what the reality of it is.

(04-13-2021, 06:18 PM)Overlord Wrote:

Really?  Over Stargate, Universal Soldier, or Independence Day?

I'll have to check it out.

Yes, yes, and yes.  I thought it was really quite excellent.
What's great is that it's actually fairly historically accurate and has been lauded as such.  The people depicted in the film were actual people there, although a few have been combined to simplify things.  Some minor things were changed but nothing that really caused an uproar to historians.

(04-13-2021, 06:52 PM)simbob Wrote: While I'm sure Pearl Harbor doesn't happen without Titanic given all the money it made, and how much money they wanted from Disney to make it, (although they had made Disney a lot of money with The Rock and Armageddon) I'd imagine Bruckheimer and Bay were probably thinking more about doing some modern mega blockbuster of classic Peral Harbor romance movie From Here to Eternity.

2012 is the best Emmerich movie I've seen. It's like everything you want from a Emmerich disaster movie, and he's at the top of his game while doing it.

I'd been avoided it for years because of The Day After Tomorrow and the painfully boring 10,000 BC. But I watched it like last year I think it was, maybe the year before, and it was great. I haven't gone back to work my way through the other stuff, but I'd be surprised if anything else was as bad as 10,000 BC; which sucks, because Roland Emmerich doing his caveman / Conan the Barbarian movie shouldn't be as boring as what the reality of it is.

I've consistently heard that his worst is STONEWALL.  I have a hard time believing that anything is worse than THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW but there you go.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fraid uh noman - 04-13-2021

The most memorable part of Pearl Harbor is John McClane's cameo..

I don't remember that.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fraid uh noman - 04-13-2021

[attachment=7660]

My friend and I both looked at each other in the theater and asked simultaneously "did you just see John McClane walk by?"

Yeah, I remember the battle scenes, tbh.

(04-13-2021, 07:24 PM)bradito Wrote: Yeah, I remember the battle scenes, tbh.

They're really well done. There's just so much MORE Michael Bay Pearl Harbor to wade through to get to them..

Nobody ever mentions that the guy who wrote Pearl Harbor also wrote... Braveheart.

I found Pearl Harbor's handling of the Doolittle Raid far more engaging than the titular attack.