The Trouble City Forums
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=155331)

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Judas Booth - 04-16-2021

Honestly, I'd watch the hell out of a Roland Emmerich riff on an Indy movie. Indeed, it should have been Roland doing the TOMB RAIDER films.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - commodorejohn - 04-16-2021

Nah. Emmerich is basically J.J. Abrams if he could be bothered to do his homework: a meaningfully more competent executor of generic formula with delusions of grandeur, but still just some guy painting by someone else's numbers.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - engineer - 04-16-2021

Emmerich has only made two movies I had fun with, and even one of them, I must admit, is almost complete garbage.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Dent6084 - 04-16-2021

(04-16-2021, 09:15 PM)commodorejohn Wrote: Nah. Emmerich is basically J.J. Abrams if he could be bothered to do his homework: a meaningfully more competent executor of generic formula with delusions of grandeur, but still just some guy painting by someone else's numbers.

I mean, I get your point, but at least J.J. Abrams never made fucking Stonewall.

(And also, so far as I knew, never threw parties with Bryan Singer, but that's another thing entirely).

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - farsight - 04-17-2021

Abrams gave us ALIAS, LOST and FRINGE.

Emmerich gave us STARGATE.

This isn't close.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - commodorejohn - 04-17-2021

Yeah, Stargate had a complete plot and everything.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - freeman - 04-17-2021

(04-17-2021, 01:03 AM)farsight Wrote: Abrams gave us ALIAS, LOST and FRINGE.

Emmerich gave us STARGATE.

This isn't close.

Abrams did not showrun LOST or Fringe, and was not the main creative force behind their success.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 04-17-2021

(04-17-2021, 01:49 AM)commodorejohn Wrote: Yeah, Stargate had a complete plot and everything.

And Emmerich gave us INDEPENDENCE DAY, so fuck Abrams.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 04-17-2021

I enjoy SUPER 8 and STAR TREK more than any of the Emmerich movies I've seen.

Emmerich movies I enjoy: STARGATE, INDEPENDENCE DAY, THE PATRIOT (his best film!), and MIDWAY.

The rest of his filmography I either dislike or haven't seen.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - rexbanner - 04-17-2021

Independence Day is a wonderful film. Like The Mummy in that it's a terrific example of a film doing what it's trying to do really well, and that it's a 90s spin on an idea that was popular 50+ years prior.

That said, 'Would I rather see Abrams or Emmerich do Indy V?' is a real Sophie's choice.

Emmerich's would inevitably be mighty fucking dumb and cartoonish, but Abrams's one would just rehash Raiders and Last Crusade in a way that made you think 'This guy knows that everyone's fucking seen those films, yeah?'

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - filmnerdjamie - 04-17-2021

I'd rather neither doing Indy?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 04-17-2021

THAT’S NOT ONE OF THE CHOICES!!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 04-17-2021

I’m glad we won’t see either do Indy.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Dent6084 - 04-22-2021

And now we've got Thomas Kretschmann joining the cast, so I'm gonna take a stab that this is about South American Nazis.

https://twitter.com/thewrap/status/1385322552520757261?s=21

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - atomtastic - 04-22-2021

I wonder if Kretschmann ever gets tired of playing nazis.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Judas Booth - 04-22-2021

(04-22-2021, 04:18 PM)atomtastic Wrote: I wonder if Kretschmann ever gets tired of playing nazis.

I'm sure he's not tired of receiving paychecks.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - farsight - 04-22-2021

Haha, you guys using Independence Day as a defense of Emmerich.

It's like youth soccer when the other team would boot the ball into their own goal. I don't even have to play!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - bradito - 04-22-2021

How about you provide us with an approved list of films and filmmakers that we can discuss, so we'll no longer offend your erudite sensibilities?

Or piss off. Either or.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - freeman - 04-22-2021

So anyways, I just want a Nazi with a robot arm that turns into a flamethrower.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - hp pufncraft - 04-22-2021

[Image: Tlr-torch-gif.gif]

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - hammerhead - 04-23-2021

no puppet! no puppet!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 04-23-2021

If they're really crawling back to the Nazis then it would be prudent for me to psychologically prepare for THE FORCE AWAKENS: INDY EDITION, which I was already kind of doing, anyway. A bit early for me to be jumping to too many conclusions, though.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Richard Dickson - 04-23-2021

I still want them to make Indy the new grail knight as his farewell. He technically won the role in Last Crusade. Give him his adventure, then the old knight shows up and says, "Time to go" and it's Indy's final ride off into the sunset forever guarding the greatest treasure and the one that meant the most to his dad.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 04-23-2021

I don't think the old knight can just "show up." Wasn't the idea that he would almost immediately crumple to death of extreme old age once he set foot outside the Grail Temple?

Of course, the fifth PIRATES movie completely handwaved the established Davy Jones mythos to get that coda reuniting Bloom and Knightley, so I guess nothing can be ruled out when the objective is fan service. I honestly have no idea how I'd want to see Indy go out, though. I just know that riding off into the sunset was a way better finish than shuffling out of a chapel in New Haven. Not that it's a high bar, but I'm confident they'll beat that.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 04-23-2021

Yes, the Grail Knight cannot leave the chamber without immediately aging and, presumably, dying.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 04-23-2021

the price... of immortality...

and approving your choice in soft drink

https://youtu.be/_kfyp-qC5t8

“ahahhah! that Indiana!”

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 04-23-2021

Almost as good as Diet Coke's iconic BATMAN spot!

My gut says that killing off Indy or turning him into a literal immortal is wrong. I know the YOUNG INDY wraparounds aren't considered canon by Lucas since he cut them, but the premise of Indy hanging around a New York museum in his retirement years, regaling people with his adventures, seems about right. It would be an impressive power move on Mangold's part if he gouges Indy's eye out to link up even further with that. And if it pisses George Lucas off in the process, well, that's a feature rather than a bug!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 04-23-2021

Those "Old Indy" scenes are terrible, though!

But I agree that he shouldn't be killed off. I don't know how you send an audience out of the theater feeling pumped if you've just done that.

Well, a lot of YOUNG INDY is terrible!

To me, restraining from killing off Indy is not an issue of making the ending a bummer. It's just, coming from the guy who made LOGAN particularly, it would feel programmatic. Like, "This is how last hurrah movies are supposed to end!" Killing the old hero is stock at this point.

People should leave a good Indiana Jones movie feeling awesome. That would be IMPOSSIBLE for me if they killed him.

But yes, it would also feel like Mangold repeating himself.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Judas Booth - 04-23-2021

Just leave Indy in Shangri-la. Boom.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Misfit - 04-23-2021

I know it would be an arc, but leaving a character we associate with globe-trotting adventure tied to any one place for eternity doesn’t seem like the right end.

Indy becoming the new Marcus wouldn't be terrible. Heck, it wouldn't surprise me if the story opened with him in that exact role, until Waller-Bridge or whatever the inciting incident is pulls him into one last adventure. I kind of like the idea of getting to see The Museum which was heretofore only referenced.

We were joking about Winstone coming back, but of all the characters introduced in CRYSTAL SKULL the most likely reprisal is Broadbent's. Not that he made a giant impression, but as Brody's stand-in he would potentially make story sense.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 04-23-2021

Indy would find himself being a museum caretaker... and before the end credits we hear a familiar exchange...

“It belongs in a museum!!”

“SO DO YOOOOU!!!”