The Trouble City Forums
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=155331)

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - hp pufncraft - 04-23-2021

(04-23-2021, 05:43 AM)hammerhead Wrote: no puppet! no puppet!

Believe it or not, in the unproduced script for Puppet Wars (which was going to be funded by Paramount), there's a scene involving Hitler that heavily implies that Puppet Master and Indiana Jones take place in the same universe. The plot for Puppet Wars was very Indiana Jones-esque (The Nazis are seeking the scepter of Anubis) and I'm still bummed it never got made.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 04-23-2021

(04-23-2021, 01:17 PM)Nooj Wrote: Indy would find himself being a museum caretaker... and before the end credits we hear a familiar exchange...

“It belongs in a museum!!”

“SO DO YOOOOU!!!”

But not before Sheriff "I Was That Motel Proprietor Who Got Killed In NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN" arrives to break up the fight.

[Image: Sheriff.jpg] [Image: No-Country-for-Old-Men-Hotel-Eagle-Desk-...hirt-2.jpg] 

Now that's how you pay off an arc!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 04-23-2021

THROW HIM OVER THE SIDE!!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 04-23-2021

Between this and the WILLOW show, it's amazing to think that Lucasfilm will be in production on more than one not Star Wars related thing over the summer.

Enjoy it for the novelty value.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 04-23-2021

(04-23-2021, 11:36 AM)Belloq87 Wrote: Almost as good as Diet Coke's iconic BATMAN spot!

It’s that coke can having a bat-cape that makes it amazing.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - atomtastic - 04-23-2021

I would like to propose a trade.

A then largely unknown Adam Driver is cast as Henry "Mutt" Williams in Indiana Jones and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

And Shia LaBeouf is highly controversial in fan circles for his portrayal of the villainous Kylo Ren in Star Wars Episode VII: Rise of the Force.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 04-23-2021

(04-23-2021, 11:48 AM)fatherdude Wrote: Well, a lot of YOUNG INDY is terrible!

For those of you with any interest in Young Indiana Jones, here's a summary of the worthwhile episodes I posted a while back:

_____

Young Indiana Jones was a near-complete misfire.  Dreadful casting of the leads (Remy was terrible and Flannery was 100% wrong for the role) and the characterization of Indy doesn't match his portrayal from the movies in any respect.  The kid from Young Indiana Jones becomes the Dr. Jones in the prequel Temple of Doom?  Nonsense. 

If anyone wants to check it out, I'd recommend the following (this list is "all-inclusive" ... meaning if it isn't on it, it's fucking godawful ...).

1.)The first "half" of the Phantom Train of Doom (they combined two different episodes into one for a home "movie" version ... in any event, it's the first hour or so, until the "Train" storyline is concluded.) Directed by an actual action film director (guy who did Rambo III).

2.)Daredevils of the Desert:  The best cast, best acted, most complete story arc of the entire Indy television run.  Don't look up the actors/actresses that appear. It's better to be surprised. This is far and away the best the show got and worth checking out.

3.)Treasure of the Peacock's Eye.  Literally the ONLY treasure-hunting episode.  It suffers from the same problem as Phantom Train of Doom in that they combined two different episodes into one for the home-release and only the first "half" or so is worth watching  This story ties back into one of the feature films in a pretty damned interesting way.  

**Honorable mention to the Dracula episode, which is not a good episode of television, but is worth watching for the simple outlandishness of it all.  It's also the only Indy T.V. episode to deal with the occult. That's right, there was only one "treasure hunting" Indy episode and only one "occult" episode.  

****Second honorable mention to Attack of the Hawkmen. I actually like the second half (the espionage and secret weapon part), but most of the flying sequences at the beginning are pretty dreadful.

There are no other episodes that have more than a few good moments. They actually had Harrison Ford return to do a cameo and not only is it for arguably the very worst episode of the entire series (Mystery of the Blues), Ford's cameo is poorly conceived and is capped off by an absolutely idiotic and unfunny denouement.

I watched this entire dreadful show so you don't have to.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 04-23-2021

thank you for your service

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 04-23-2021

(04-23-2021, 02:28 PM)Nooj Wrote: thank you for your service

[Image: tenor.gif]

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Judas Booth - 04-23-2021

I remember watching YOUNG INDIANA JONES when it first hit and checking out after (I think) 3 episodes because it sucked.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 04-23-2021

I’m so glad Lucas was talked out of featuring a 10 year old Han Solo. I dunno why he had this thing for revisiting iconic characters as little mop topped kids.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 04-23-2021

Is is streaming anywhere?

(04-23-2021, 03:16 PM)MichaelM Wrote: Is is streaming anywhere?

In a manner of speaking, matey.

Doesn’t seem to be available anymore. It was up on Netflix like the movies were awhile back. Now they’re on Paramount+, but the show isn’t.

I’d rather try watching the show in its original version with the one hour episodes being standalone, rather than the cobbled up “movies”.

My understanding of the two hour pilot is that it featured both 8 and 16 year old Indy, with the adventure actually spanning between those time periods. But because Lucas decided to do a recut by featuring the stories in chronological order the two halves of the episodes are thus cobbled with other hour length episodes that have no relation to the pilot.

What a clusterfuck.

Found this, an attempted restoration of the original pilot.

So many names I recognize in the production credits, practically the entire team behind the Star Wars prequels! Even that Naboo council member pops up (“it can only mean one thing: invasion”).

(04-23-2021, 03:30 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: Doesn’t seem to be available anymore. It was up on Netflix like the movies were awhile back. Now they’re on Paramount+, but the show isn’t.

I’d rather try watching the show in its original version with the one hour episodes being standalone, rather than the cobbled up “movies”.

The cobbling together of episodes into these bizarre movies is such a strange, unnecessary choice as it results in these disjointed "films" where the second half typically has NOTHING to do narratively with the first half.  

The only such effort in the entire Young Indy series (again, I watched them so you don't have to) that works as intended is Daredevils of the Desert, which I actually do revisit from time to time.

**In regards to the casting of Flannery, the mind just boggles.  "River Phoenix's turn as Young Indy in demeanor, appearance, and dialogue was very well received, so in casting the role for further adventures of a young Indiana Jones let's select an actor who will represent a complete departure from Phoenix's portrayal and then give him dialogue that makes no sense in light of Indy's characterization in the films."

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Misfit - 04-23-2021

I have a vague memory of the episode Terry Jones directed/guest-starred in being pretty funny, but I haven’t revisited the series since it originally aired.

(04-23-2021, 03:59 PM)Misfit Wrote: [. . .] I haven’t revisited the series since it originally aired.

[Image: tenor.gif]

(04-23-2021, 03:52 PM)Overlord Wrote:
(04-23-2021, 03:30 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: Doesn’t seem to be available anymore. It was up on Netflix like the movies were awhile back. Now they’re on Paramount+, but the show isn’t.

The cobbling together of episodes into these bizarre movies is such a strange, unnecessary choice as it results in this disjointed "films" where the second half typically has NOTHING to do narratively with the first half.  

It’s like Lucas simply lost his marbles by the 90s. I don’t understand how what he did by turning the episodes into “chapter” films is in anyway an improvement. 

Quote:**In regards to the casting of Flannery, the mind just boggles.  "Joaquin Phoenix's turn as Young Indy in demeanor, appearance, and dialogue was very well received, so in casting the role for further adventures of a young Indiana Jones let's select an actor who is completely dissimilar to Phoenix's portrayal and then give him dialogue that makes no sense in light of Indy's characterization in the films."

He must have made the same decision regarding Old Indy.

“Yes, play him as a doddering old man with a mid-Atlantic accent, because I grew up watching old movies that portrayed elderly men as such”

(04-23-2021, 04:13 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: He must have made the same decision regarding Old Indy.

“Yes, play him as a doddering old man with a mid-Atlantic accent, because I grew up watching old movies that portrayed elderly men as such”

Good point.  I try to forget those hideous bookend snippets exist, at all.

**Whoever is responsible for casting Remy should never work in Hollywood ever again.

****I had no idea that the actor who portrayed Remy committed suicide in his late 40s ... yipes.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - hammerhead - 04-23-2021

(04-23-2021, 03:52 PM)Overlord Wrote: **In regards to the casting of Flannery, the mind just boggles.  "Joaquin Phoenix's turn as Young Indy in demeanor, appearance, and dialogue was very well received, so in casting the role for further adventures of a young Indiana Jones let's select an actor who will represent a complete departure from Phoenix's portrayal and then give him dialogue that makes no sense in light of Indy's characterization in the films."

River, not Joaquin (aka Leaf at the time)

(04-23-2021, 04:28 PM)hammerhead Wrote:
(04-23-2021, 03:52 PM)Overlord Wrote: **In regards to the casting of Flannery, the mind just boggles.  "River Phoenix's turn as Young Indy in demeanor, appearance, and dialogue was very well received, so in casting the role for further adventures of a young Indiana Jones let's select an actor who will represent a complete departure from Phoenix's portrayal and then give him dialogue that makes no sense in light of Indy's characterization in the films."

River, not Joaquin (aka Leaf at the time)

Dammit!

Fixed.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Judas Booth - 04-23-2021

50% of the issues with the show was with Flannery. I remember that. He was completely wrong for the part.

(04-23-2021, 05:55 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: 50% of the issues with the show was with Flannery.  I remember that.  He was completely wrong for the part.

It is glaringly, transparently obvious from the very first scene.  

Lucas's casting instincts completely abandoned him early in his career.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - farsight - 04-23-2021

(04-22-2021, 10:39 PM)bradito Wrote: How about you provide us with an approved list of films and filmmakers that we can discuss, so we'll no longer offend your erudite sensibilities?

Or piss off. Either or.

Well, one of us sounds offended...

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - atomtastic - 04-23-2021

(04-23-2021, 06:05 PM)Overlord Wrote:
(04-23-2021, 05:55 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: 50% of the issues with the show was with Flannery.  I remember that.  He was completely wrong for the part.

It's true, that's how we got Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan.

The Lucasfilm empire established an educational division in 1988, and despite being around for many years, "Lucas Learning" didn't end up doing much public-facing work beyond some computer games published in the late nineties. 

But if you go back to some articles from the time YOUNG INDY debuted (like this one from the New York Times and this one from the Los Angeles Times), Lucas alludes to ambitious plans for developing interactive multimedia for schools. It seems there was a lot of R&D going on in educational software that YOUNG INDY was meant to plug into somehow, but the money must have run out before any of it could be realized.

Between that and the fact that the show was used as a proving ground for digital advancements (the editing workflow used, the early employment of now routine CGI effects like set extensions), YOUNG INDY seems to have been a kind of laboratory and the truncated artifact of some master plan Lucas cut bait on. Which may explain some of its oddities.

(04-23-2021, 07:05 PM)atomtastic Wrote:
(04-23-2021, 06:05 PM)Overlord Wrote:

It's true, that's how we got Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan.

I think the behind-the-scenes documentaries and released production material favors pretty heavily the notion that casting director Nancy Gurland, not Lucas, is responsible for McGregor's casting (though of course he had to sign off).  This is in contrast to Jake Lloyd and Hayden Christiansen who, judging from that same material, appear to have largely been Lucas selections.

Of course, I wasn't there behind the scenes.  That's just my reading of it.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fraid uh noman - 04-27-2021

Why would anyone watch any of the Young Indiana Jones show when you could just watch any of the Indy movies again? Hell with that lol..

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - engineer - 04-27-2021

There was one two-hour episode I recalled enjoying in which Indy and his college friends -- Eliot Ness and Ernest Hemingway -- discover jazz music and solve a murder of some kind. And don't forget that one episode with Harrison Ford in it.

Edit: Oh, both of the above are the same episode. https://indianajones.fandom.com/wiki/Young_Indiana_Jones_and_the_Mystery_of_the_Blues

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fraid uh noman - 04-27-2021

Indy went to college with Elliott Ness and Ernest Hemingway? So....Young Indy nuked the fridge before fridge nuking was a thing?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 04-28-2021

You could argue Indy bumping into historical figures was kicked off by TLC with Indy getting the diary autographed by Hitler.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 04-28-2021

(04-28-2021, 01:30 AM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: You could argue Indy bumping into historical figures was kicked off by TLC 

don't go chasing holy grails

please stick to the idols and the arks that you're used to

[Image: 85886_tlc-waterfalls-youtube.jpeg_5c2db8...b83d3.jpeg]

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - hammerhead - 04-28-2021

But yes, the main mission statement of "Young Indy" was to deliver lightweight history lessons.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - engineer - 04-28-2021

At this point I'd almost rather he bump into fictional character figures.

Indy comes out of his college class and meets traveling Applied Science class auditor Dr. Emmett Brown.
Indy loses a wager when Forrest Gump scores another touchdown.
Indy in a fit of rage angrily knocks out Modesto's obnoxious local street racing legend, Bob Falfa.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fraid uh noman - 04-28-2021

That's nukin the shark..