The Trouble City Forums
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=155331)

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - bluelouboyle - 05-15-2021

You can't polish a turd.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 05-15-2021

The revised grading, if it's even accurate to how it will appear on the disc, definitely looks superior to the original, but the look of CRYSTAL SKULL was as much about physical filtration as any post-production choices; on the other hand, I'm an uninformed idiot speculating based on what my eyes perceive rather than any expertise. 

I do know there were Schneider Classic Soft filters and the like used throughout shooting and not just for specific scenes (by contrast, Slocombe used filtration along those lines for the Grail chamber scene in LAST CRUSADE, where the dreamier style was to a purpose), and I attribute much of the movie's overall look to that. I think it's possible to make CRYSTAL SKULL look better if they also just made really ugly color choices in the editing suite on top of everything else, but that hazy, blooming look is to a large extent baked into the celluloid, I suspect. 

This stuff seems to be way more of a hangup for me than others, however; whatever they've done for the UHD may well bring the movie back to earth for a lot of folks. I look forward to seeing it in motion. It's interesting how this might be the kind of revisionism that people don't mind, but I question revisionism of any kind. CRYSTAL SKULL looks bad (to me) because of conscious choice that were made. It's fucked, and cannot be unfucked.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - bradito - 05-15-2021

It's going to take more than dumping the green tint to fix the movie's problems. This is like changing the paint job on a car that doesn't run.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 05-15-2021

And even from a photography perspective -- a whole lot goes into what a movie looks like than just what color palette they go with. Love them or hate them, Kaminski made very deliberate, bold choices in terms of where he put his light sources, their intensity, his predilection toward smoke effects, etc. etc. A visual style is the culmination of a lot of decision and techniques. It's not like you can just "dial it out." While it might be interesting to see a CRYSTAL SKULL that looks less chlorinated, it's not like it all comes down to somebody needing to go easy on the green in Da Vinci Resolve. Any decent DP defines the style of the movie on set to a large extent.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - SAIRUS - 05-15-2021

(05-15-2021, 03:04 AM)Nooj Wrote: https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/33609-indiana-jones-4k-uhd-collection/page/3/&tab=comments#comment-1809969

possibly re-grading crystal skull for the 4K release?

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/6013a945-6adf-4413-a35c-ee0df474eb6f

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 05-20-2021

If you hear "Illuminerdi" and think that sounds like a legit source of information, then I guess this might contain spoilers?

https://www.theilluminerdi.com/2021/05/20/indiana-jones-5-space-details/

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - serpico jones - 05-20-2021

Well...I wouldn’t have guessed that.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 05-20-2021

Indy’s MOONRAKER?

Hell.

Yes.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Dent6084 - 05-20-2021

Illuminerdi doesn't have a bad track record (just yesterday they broke that Jeremy Irvine was in talks to play Alan Scott on the HBO Green Lantern show several hours before the trades confirmed it, for instance). So grain of salt, but a smaller grain of salt than, say, if this was a story in WeGotThisCovered (which is pure bullshit).

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - bradito - 05-20-2021

Didn't Mads already kind of play this character in Rogue One?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 05-20-2021

The important thing here is that my Ray Winstone reprisal prediction is more viable than ever.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - bradito - 05-20-2021

If we're doing the Apollo program, who's playing Stanley Kubrick?

Always thought George DiCenzo could have made a passable Kubrick.

[Image: georgedicenzo.jpg]

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - commodorejohn - 05-20-2021

Well, clearly, that means Mikkelsen is playing Jack Parsons.

INDIANA JONES AND THE BABALON WORKING

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fraid uh noman - 05-20-2021

This forum: *endlessly gripes about Crystal Skull's grading*

Powers that be: *fix or attempt to improve problematic grading*

Also this forum: "Who cares? The movie is still awful!"

This forum if, hypothetically, they had left the grading as is: "WHY WOULDN'T THEY TAKE THIS OPPORTUNITY TO TWEAK IT TO LOOK MORE LIKE THE PREVIOUS THREE???"

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 05-20-2021

you're forgetting that fatherdude is right there with good posts about why it can't really look more like the previous three

I don't think the movie looking more like the other movies will fix the problems with the script. But the grading stans believe that you can polish a turd and make it more palatable.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 05-20-2021

Whether true or not, I don't know that I like this idea. Doesn't sound like great fodder for an adventure serial to me.

I'm of the opinion that, at this point, the period setting should be ignored as much as possible, with Indy spending much of his time in "old world" locations that have a more timeless feel.

Fraid, I don't think the discussion on that front is nearly as schizophrenic as you make it out. I think there's just difference of opinion on what exactly contributed to the look of CRYSTAL SKULL. The grading is a coefficient. And I would hardly expect revisionist grading to get a lockstep unified reaction even in the case that it is for the "better." On a movie forum that sort of thing ought to be controversial by definition.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fraid uh noman - 05-20-2021

(05-20-2021, 04:42 PM)bradito Wrote: I don't think the movie looking more like the other movies will fix the problems with the script. But the grading stans believe that you can polish a turd and make it more palatable.

I agree. I'm just talking about the griping no matter what. Gripe that they should fix it. Gripe that it doesn't matter if they DO fix it. 

At least you're consistent lol.

Personally, I don't care if they do or not. Since I enjoy it (not a five star movie by any stretch but I have fun with it now) I'm just happy to have it available on 4K, regardless..

(05-20-2021, 04:44 PM)fatherdude Wrote: Fraid, I don't think the discussion on that front is nearly as schizophrenic as you make it out. I think there's just difference of opinion on what exactly contributed to the look of CRYSTAL SKULL. The grading is a coefficient. And I would hardly expect revisionist grading to get a lockstep unified reaction even in the case that it is for the "better." On a movie forum that sort of thing ought to be controversial by definition.

I'm mostly just poking fun at no one ever being happy about anything, or even indifferent, not trying to start a debate..

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - simbob - 05-20-2021

(05-15-2021, 01:00 PM)bradito Wrote: It's going to take more than dumping the green tint to fix the movie's problems. This is like changing the paint job on a car that doesn't run.

But now the car looks nicer just sitting there.

The movie has a lot of problems, but a big one was how terrible it was to look at the fucking thing, and this seems to be fixing that. It may also be changing other things too, one of the post said it had less CGI foliage in the jungle chase scene. Makes me hope they put that better line reading the trailer had in.

Maybe they went back and shot the better script while they were at it.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 05-20-2021

(05-20-2021, 04:38 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: This forum: *endlessly gripes about Crystal Skull's grading*

Powers that be: *fix or attempt to improve problematic grading*

Also this forum: "Who cares? The movie is still awful!"

Did you not see my posts about regrading efforts benefiting the film quite a bit?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 05-20-2021

He could have you on ignore.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Judas Booth - 05-20-2021

If nothing else, fixing the color grading will hopefully help the film look cohesive with the other three films. That's a win.

And again, I think the film is over-hated. It's the least of the four films but it's not an abomination before God.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - headless fett - 05-20-2021

As an action-adventure film it's simply mediocre.

As an Indiana Jones film it fucking sucks.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 05-20-2021

*get semi-credible intel about the plot of the new movie*

*continue to argue about the look of CRYSTAL SKULL*

Okay, guys.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 05-20-2021

speaking for myself, I don't want to know too much about the movie before seeing it

I'd like to have some idea what level to set my expectations at.

not me!

what will be will be!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - headless fett - 05-20-2021

(05-20-2021, 08:18 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: I'd like to have some idea what level to set my expectations at.

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=14900421]

Somewhere between Ross and Joey would be your best bet.

There's not enough to go on for me to have great trepidation or enthusiasm for Indiana Jones and 

[Image: fefa07205aa7c327ad4aee6fdcb54cee.gif]

I'm just trying to enjoy the ride of following along with the production of one last Indiana Jones movie. Goodness knows the journey was more fun than the destination last time.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Neil Spurn - 05-20-2021

I was gonna shitpost on Crystal Skull, but I still haven't watched it, and we already have a Commo.

(05-20-2021, 07:52 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: *get semi-credible intel about the plot of the new movie*

*continue to argue about the look of CRYSTAL SKULL*

Okay, guys.

I complained about the intel!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - freeman - 05-20-2021

I don't want this. Plz.