The Trouble City Forums
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=155331)

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - bradito - 05-28-2021

That's like me in this thread.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fraid uh noman - 05-28-2021

I think it's kinda sad that more people aren't even a little excited or interested in this. Ford playing Indy means nothing? Curiosity about a non-Spielberg directed Indy doesn't move the needle? A new John Williams score? Nothing? Crystal Skull ruins the possibility that a new Indy film could be worth watching? Just one misfire and it's curtains? So strange. Extra strange to openly be looking forward to the Dwayne Johnson Jungle Movie movie MORE than a gen-yoo-wine Ford as Indy flick? Crazy town, man..

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 05-28-2021

NGL: I have no real interest in an almost 80 year old Indiana Jones. Either the film mostly ignores his age and treats him like he's in his mid 40s, or it becomes a depressingly repetitive reminder of the depredations of old age.

Plus I just don't think repeatedly trying to catch lightning in a bottle - or at least the exact same lightning in the exact same bottle - is creatively satisfying for either the filmmakers or the audience. LAST CRUSADE has some big issues but regardless, we're very, very luck it's as good as it is.

CRYSTAL SKULL is lifeless. None of the fire, mystery, or power of the original film. Not even of TEMPLE or CRUSADE.

And given that this is being produced by the same studio that gave us TFA and TROS...well, my lack of interest seems well founded.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fraid uh noman - 05-28-2021

I guess a certain actor in a certain role just does more for me than most people. We get a finite amount of movies from these people and if they feel they can do one more, then I'm happy to watch it.

I would absolutely be pissed off if JJ Abrams were directing this though. We'd never find out what the macguffin was and he wouldn't know either. And is that girl Indy's daughter? Probably..

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 05-28-2021

Do I think it's possible to tell an interesting story with an 80 year old Indiana Jones? I do.

Do I think it's likely we're going to get a film that is able to balance acknowledging the character's age with the kind of action and thrills we want/need from an Indiana Jones movie? I do not.

Think of LAST CRUSADE. Indy is now older than his father was in that film...and Henry Sr. wasn't exactly punching out Nazis left and right nor was he accomplishing heroic and strenuous physical achievements. It seems really, really unlikely that we'll get something that doesn't having us wondering at least five or six times how Indy hasn't broken a hip yet.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - hammerhead - 05-28-2021

I've always been a Raiders>everything else guy. If they want to do more, that's nice.

But yeah, Ford looks great in that pic.

I don't think about hip breaking in these anymore than I do with Gandalf or someone like that. When it's fantasy, I just let it slide. I can't imagine being a movie fan and not at least being certain to give a crazy thing such as this a watch..

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - bradito - 05-28-2021

I know it's an unpopular idea right now, but we really should be coming up with new ideas for movies rather than going back to the well to this ridiculous degree. Indiana Jones wasn't an IP when Lucas conceived it. Rather, he drew inspiration from cliffhangers. And his collaboration with Spielberg and Kasdan and Kaufman made it a fresh and original concept. Its massive success was due to everyone operating at peak performance, at least with the first one.

We've stopped innovating because the studios have all be gobbled up by the soulless corporations that are astonishingly risk-averse. So the most an up-and-coming filmmaker can hope for, after making a splash with an indie film, is getting hired to direct some interchangeable franchise movie where their creativity will be impeded by a hostile fanbase, witless studio notes, and any number of other obstacles (locked out of the editing room, fired and replaced by someone who reshoots half the movie, etc.)

It's just such a grim period for blockbuster movies because the lunkheads in charge have no idea how to build new brands around filmmakers, stars or original ideas. Instead, they just desperately try to breathe new life into moribund IPs. But that shit's unsustainable and not really a recipe for success, since countless remakes, reboots, sequels, prequels, spinoffs and reimaginings shit the bed.

So, no, I can't say that I'm super excited to see this new movie because Disney hasn't exactly revitalized Star Wars the way that we'd all hoped.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - serpico jones - 05-28-2021

Disney wants to add an Indy land to Hollywood Studios so this franchise is going nowhere. Wouldn’t be surprised if Boyd Holbrook is playing young Indy in flashbacks as a kind of test run for a takeover of the role.

I'm interested to see it because Harrison Ford/Indiana Jones. That doesn't supplant the desire to see new and original stuff. You'd think IPs and truly original stuff could coexist and in a better world we would get at LEAST as much originality as sequels/prequels/spinoffs/what have you. And in a perfect world there'd be MORE. That's how it'd be if I were a filmmaker rather than a film watcher. But...alas. If I hated all this stuff I guess I'd be pretty weary of it. Same if I was in the industry. Originality will have its day again. The pendulum always swings back. Billion dollar grosses have ruined them for a good long while because everyone is chasing that or bust. But I'm ok with panning for gold until then..

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Misfit - 05-28-2021

I’m never not going to be excited to see Ford back in this role. For all its faults, CRYSTAL SKULL was the first time he seemed to give a damn onscreen in years. I think this is pretty clearly the role that’s always meant the most to him. If he thinks there’s a reason to come back, I want to see it. Even if the reason is just money, the man’s given me enough entertainment literally since I was born that I don’t mind kicking in $10 toward another plane for him.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 05-28-2021

I'm always interested in seeing how these things play out

THE DISCOURSE WILL BE FUN!!!

Here's my spoiler-free prediction about the discourse:

"I always knew this would be terrible, so when I went to the Thursday night preview screening in costume, my bias was confirmed. This movie is well-made, but incoherent. The script is a complete disaster; they need to hire better writers, although I hope they don't make any more after this. And don't get me started on the grading! Now KOTCS isn't the worst one in the series. I'm going to see it again on Sunday."

Fin.

I predict mine will be different!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 05-28-2021

sounds about right!

if I don't come out of it with the general feeling of nothing I got from Crystal Skull, I guess that'll be something!

I actually think Mangold will do a good job, provided he's generally left to make the movie he wants to make

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 05-28-2021

Actually, the CRYSTAL SKULL post-release thread is a lot of fun to go back and read through. I would like to thank the movie for making it happen.

AW YEA, TIME MACHINE!

can you link it here?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - filmnerdjamie - 05-28-2021

(05-28-2021, 03:36 PM)Overlord Wrote:
(05-28-2021, 12:38 PM)bradito Wrote: I wonder if they'll make a sixth one.

Of course.

*But not with Ford.

[attachment=7759]

Indiana Bones and the Necronomicon Ex Mortis...

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 05-28-2021

(05-28-2021, 09:33 PM)Nooj Wrote: AW YEA, TIME MACHINE!

can you link it here?

[Image: 68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e617773...332e676966]

http://citizens.trouble.city/showthread.php?tid=108066

here's my first post after seeing the movie:

Quote:I can't put into words what I just came back from watching. I really can't say anything other people haven't already said.

Ugh..

heheheh

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - freeman - 05-28-2021

Indy 4 will forever be one of the most frustrating movies of all time. They had a great polished wonderful script that read like a ready to go shooting draft of a classic Indy adventure.

The Beard was ready. Harrison was ready. EVERYONE was happy! And George Lucas decided he was unhappy.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 05-28-2021

In a weird parallel with the Trevorrow EPISODE IX situation, I'm unconvinced that Darabont's script would have resulted in a movie that was that much better than CRYSTAL SKULL.

Marion's certainly better.  I like the Mac surrogate more (he exits the story quoting the TEMPLE OF DOOM poster tagline!).  The aerial dogfight scene, on the page, reads like a great setpiece.

But there's also goofiness that surpasses anything in CRYSTAL SKULL, like Indy being eaten by a giant snake, and the nods to past adventures in the first act are way too cute for their own good.

What I really want to see is Jeff Nathanson's draft, which was the bridge between Darabont and Koepp.

There's outrageous stuff in Darabont's take but my goodness, I can't think of one thing it doesn't do better than the approved script. I think it would have resulted in a considerably superior movie to CRYSTAL SKULL. Not only is it much better material, it's much better material that would have allegedly been made by a fired-up Spielberg. Not even worth dwelling on, really.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - freeman - 05-28-2021

(05-28-2021, 10:13 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: In a weird parallel with the Trevorrow EPISODE IX situation, I'm unconvinced that Darabont's script would have resulted in a movie that was that much better than CRYSTAL SKULL.

Marion's certainly better.  I like the Mac surrogate more (he exits the story quoting the TEMPLE OF DOOM poster tagline!).  The aerial dogfight scene, on the page, reads like a great setpiece.

But there's also goofiness that surpasses anything in CRYSTAL SKULL, like Indy being eaten by a giant snake, and the nods to past adventures in the first act are way too cute for their own good.

What I really want to see is Jeff Nathanson's draft, which was the bridge between Darabont and Koepp.

The pacing is better.  The characterization is better.  Even if the 50's sci fi references get to be a bit much, there's never anything that blatantly doesn't make fucking sense.  Everything fuctions, everything works. Even something as small as the waterfalls is presented better.  In the movie you know there's three before they go down.  Darabont reveals that as an "ah fuck" twist, WHICH IS WHAT A WRITER IS SUPPOSED TO DO.

You can look at literally every shared scene or beat or moment, including Nuke town, and the little details are better done.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Bucho - 05-28-2021

I'm good with Ford doing this as long as it doesn't get in the way of any potential Sabrina sequel.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Iron Maiden - 05-29-2021

I'll be there on day one, and not just because it's being released on my birthday weekend next year!

It's Indy! The Paramount logo will pop up, and I'll get excited. My expectations aren't through the roof, but I will walk in with an open mind. Mangold makes movies I like, which is enough.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 05-29-2021

(05-28-2021, 10:27 PM)freeman Wrote: The pacing is better.  The characterization is better.  Even if the 50's sci fi references get to be a bit much, there's never anything that blatantly doesn't make fucking sense.  Everything fuctions, everything works. Even something as small as the waterfalls is presented better.  In the movie you know there's three before they go down.  Darabont reveals that as an "ah fuck" twist, WHICH IS WHAT A WRITER IS SUPPOSED TO DO.

You can look at literally every shared scene or beat or moment, including Nuke town, and the little details are better done.

I don't disagree with any of that. But it also (for me) jumps the shark a couple times too many.

These movies get one big "ask" of the audience, and that's the request to buy-into the supernatural properties/origin of whatever the MacGuffin is. Darabont's script asks for the audience to accept a couple other things that are too ludicrous (for me!) to overlook.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - bradito - 05-29-2021

Belloq should be 100% against any Indy sequels! I mean, look what happened to him in Raiders.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - freeman - 05-29-2021

(05-29-2021, 12:53 AM)Belloq87 Wrote:
(05-28-2021, 10:27 PM)freeman Wrote: The pacing is better.  The characterization is better.  Even if the 50's sci fi references get to be a bit much, there's never anything that blatantly doesn't make fucking sense.  Everything fuctions, everything works. Even something as small as the waterfalls is presented better.  In the movie you know there's three before they go down.  Darabont reveals that as an "ah fuck" twist, WHICH IS WHAT A WRITER IS SUPPOSED TO DO.

I don't disagree with any of that.  But it also (for me) jumps the shark a couple times too many.

These movies get one big "ask" of the audience, and that's the request to buy-into the supernatural properties/origin of whatever the MacGuffin is.  Darabont's script asks for the audience to accept a couple other things that are too ludicrous (for me!) to overlook.

I get and respect that. I look at it is “if we MUST have references to giant monsters out of 50s sci fi because George wants it” it’s the best you’re going to get.

Yes Indy being swallowed by a giant snake and rescued is dumb. But look how darabont takes stupidity and makes it a wonderful character beat. Indy confronts a small snake without fear in front of Marion. He’s overcome his fear since they last spoke. He’s grown. He’s trying to prove to Marion that he’s grown. But then what happens? The giant snake eats him and hes traumatized all over again. That night Indy goes to his bed in the jungle and in it is the smallest Gardner snake you’ve ever seen. Cut to an exterior shot of the tent as Indy screams in horror, more afraid than ever. That’s SUCH a great character moment presented with humor. The more Indiana tries to change the more he stays the same. Who in the audience couldn’t relate to that?

Every scene in the script has some touch like that where darabont made it work. That grace is utterly lacking from most scenes in the finished film. It feels slapped together. Breaks my heart.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 05-30-2021

Reputedly, filming begins next week. Some photos of an outdoor set being constructed have been posted online.

Since we don't have spoiler tags anymore (I think?), I dunno if we need to have a separate thread for leaks and speculation surrounding them. But we're at that point it seems.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 05-30-2021

Change the text to white

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mola ram - 05-30-2021

Surreal to think this is actually happening.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - bradito - 05-30-2021

Post all the spoilers in this thread untagged. Let's have fun!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fraid uh noman - 05-30-2021

This makes me so genuinely happy..