The Trouble City Forums
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=155331)

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - freeman - 06-10-2021

(06-09-2021, 09:32 PM)fatherdude Wrote: Got my boxed set and have been sampling the image quality. Really impressive across the board, and I'm looking forward to proper re-watches. 

While the least visually impressive of the bunch, it is honestly stunning how much better CRYSTAL SKULL looks simply by not giving it an objectively hideous color grade. It really feels less like revisionism and more like somebody made a genuine mistake in 2008. I know that doesn't address the movie's real problems, but it's startling to see in-your-face proof of how gratuitously ugly they made the movie on initial release. It's also decently more detailed, particularly during the non-CGI shots. The effects work is presumably trapped in upscaled 2K.

I would be sincerely curious to hear what the logic behind the decision making was at the time. It certainly couldn't be a Douglas Slocombe homage.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - hammerhead - 06-10-2021

How's the grading on Raiders? Didn't it get the orange 'n' teal treatment last time around?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 06-10-2021

compared to the DVD, the bluray definitely got a boost in terms of saturation that could come off a bit orange&teal.... but not in a way I found terrible

based on the comparisons on capsaholic, it looks like the 4K generally maintains that approach, but with more contrast/definition?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - commodorejohn - 06-10-2021

Yes, but how does it compare to the LaserDisc?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 06-10-2021

Unfortunately the 4K disc transfer does not have aliasing. Apparently it doesn't even require you to flip the disc mid-way through the movie, which is a serious downgrade.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - commodorejohn - 06-10-2021

Bullshit.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - hammerhead - 06-10-2021

I demand reel-change cigarette burns.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 06-10-2021

I'll burn YOU with a cigarette during every reel change!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mondguy - 06-10-2021

(06-10-2021, 03:44 AM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: Unfortunately the 4K disc transfer does not have aliasing. Apparently it doesn't even require you to flip the disc mid-way through the movie, which is a serious downgrade.

You manually flip your laserdiscs?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - first class 782 - 06-10-2021

CAV 4 Life

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mondguy - 06-10-2021

I can also verify that Crystal Skull looks far better now. There's an actual filmic look to it, outside of Kaminski's occasional blown out highlights.

All of the execution issues remain, but nonetheless...

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 06-10-2021

Yeah, I am still against the filtration he used which obliterates any harmony with Slocombe's style (and kills the movie's immersion, in my opinion), but I completely underestimated how exaggerated the effect was by the original, artificially overexposed grade the movie was given. Yes, it's still consciously hazy with halos emanating from every deliberately overheated edge, but the more pleasing colors (particularly the fact that it's darker -- in a natural way) and slight uptick in 35mm detail make for an overall difference that isn't neglible, I'll admit.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - serpico jones - 06-10-2021

Vudu has the collection in 4K for $40.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - chief zabu - 06-10-2021

(06-10-2021, 11:06 AM)first class 782 Wrote: CAV 4 Life

Only in a group of misfits like we have here on TC, could I see a reference tossed out like that. My first: the Criterion Lawrence of Arabia: 4 beautiful CAV discs. On a trip to the southern hemisphere during a 12 hour stop in LA, my traveling companion and I went to Ken Crane's (the holy place for laserdiscs in the 1980s and 1990s). I purchased not only that but also at least US$1,000 worth of discs and had them sent home. My VISA bill was plenty hefty when I finally got back from my trip a month later.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 06-10-2021

Hahaha Kaminski just couldn’t help himself with nets/pantyhose and unmotivated lighting.

I just watched a bit during the college scene with Indy being told Feds were ransacking his office and there’s sunlight coming from opposite directions, or just ALL OVER the set.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - chief zabu - 06-10-2021

I am certain I had read that that Kaminsky was attempting to play homage to Douglas Slocombe's style and approach (maybe American Cinematographer). When I saw Crystal Skull on the screen I knew whatever efforts he made failed miserably. Thank GOD he didn't decide, at the last minute, to give the camera negative a Bleach Bypass, which would have completely fucked things forever (story notwithstanding).

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Champion of Fun - 06-10-2021

I’m on the fence about buying the 4K set. Considering the new film comes out next year, isn’t there a great chance that we’ll see another set in Xmas 22? I know there could be an issue due to Paramount & Disney having to get along, but they were able to work together on the Infinity Saga set. I dunno, really want to enjoy these films in 4K though.

you can be on the fence even longer, since it seems like even people who pre-ordered it aren’t able to get it due to it being under supplied

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - itsnotatumor - 06-10-2021

It's like whoever loses we still win xD

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 06-11-2021

(06-10-2021, 04:28 AM)Nooj Wrote: I'll burn YOU with a cigarette during every reel change!

Joke's on you.

That's his kink.

(06-10-2021, 06:41 PM)Champion of Fun Wrote: Considering the new film comes out next year, isn’t there a great chance that we’ll see another set in Xmas 22? 

There's a 69.420 percent chance.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 06-11-2021

(06-11-2021, 07:18 PM)Overlord Wrote:
(06-10-2021, 04:28 AM)Nooj Wrote: I'll burn YOU with a cigarette during every reel change!

Joke's on you.

That's his kink.

what if it's also a kink of mine, and we're two souls that found each other?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - engineer - 06-11-2021

You kids today and your freedoms.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 06-16-2021

I noticed that Young Indiana Jones was just added on Paramount+. Is it fair to suggest this was when he lost his touch? Up to THE LAST CRUSADE, it seemed like he had a strong batting average, and then this happened. And then the prequels. And then CRYSTAL SKULL.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 06-16-2021

(06-16-2021, 03:38 AM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: I noticed that Young Indiana Jones was just added on Paramount+. Is it fair to suggest this was when he lost his touch? Up to THE LAST CRUSADE, it seemed like he had a strong batting average, and then this happened. And then the prequels. And then CRYSTAL SKULL.

This is a savvy question.

I've mentioned a few times that the core-production problems of Young Indiana Jones (dreadful miscasting, inability to honor existing continuity or existing character attributes in a prequel, and a meandering lack of focus) were replicated almost exactly with the prequels.  Literally every single warning sign is there that Lucas has lost the thread of what makes stories and characters tick.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 06-16-2021

Ha! The “it can only mean one thing: Invasion” guy is in this.

Already smelling the prequel aroma.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - arjen rudd - 06-16-2021

They got Sio Bibble?

Ooh

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - jhp1608 - 06-16-2021

Oliver Ford Davies is a good actor. I’ve seen him a number of times on stage. He is example number 143 of how much Lucas lost the ability to direct people.

So after the Egypt section of this “first movie” concludes (very abruptly, and unsatisfactorily), suddenly the actor playing a nine year old Indy aged up by four years even though it’s chronologically set shortly after… and somehow Lucas thought that was acceptable. I pretty much stopped in the middle of that second segment just to post my thoughts.

I’ll give it this. It’s actually somewhat charming. I like the concept of 9 year Indy joining in adventures with historical figures that will influence him. It’s these experiences that will eventually shape him into the River Phoenix character. I even realized halfway that he says “holy smokes” which is what Phoenix Indy says on the LAST CRUSADE prologue.

But the sudden shift to the obviously aged up child actor really hurt this “movie”. Suddenly it’s just a completely separate story with zero relation to anything in the first half. Just another example that somehow Lucas lost his marbles in the 90s. I much rather just watch the original one hour versions instead if this is how all the “movies” play out.

Is there a reason the John Williams theme isn’t used? Just to save costs? It’s a strange omission. That said, I actually like a lot of the score by Laurence Rosenthal. It feels very grand for what was supposed to be a TV score, but then again so much of the production is pretty ambitious for its time. I can easily imagine a much better version of this show on Disney+.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - arjen rudd - 06-16-2021

It’s a great idea for a show. No idea why it was so boring.

I read at least a half dozen of the Indy Extended Universe novels published in the 90s (while everyone else was reading the Thrawn trilogy and Tales From Jabba’s Palace), and I found those to be relatively fun ancillary junk. There’s one where he goes searching for Percy Fawcett, the explorer from The Lost City of Z, and I think there’s some Hollow Earth stuff in there. He meets Merlin at one point.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 06-16-2021

Yeah, a lot of those Indy novels are kind of fun.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fraid uh noman - 06-16-2021

(06-10-2021, 06:51 PM)Nooj Wrote: you can be on the fence even longer, since it seems like even people who pre-ordered it aren’t able to get it due to it being under supplied

I preordered it in March and mine finally shipped yesterday. I ain't sweating it but it does make one wonder what the point of preordering even is.

I can't be too sore over it selling out lots of places though. That's not a BAD sign for physical media aficionados..

I just got an e-mail of the set being shipped. Supposed to expect it Saturday.

It would nice if they provide a discount to everyone that pre-ordered this set but saw postponements.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fraid uh noman - 06-16-2021

It shipped today but you're not getting it until Saturday? Mine says it'll be here tomorrow at the latest. Who'd you order from?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 06-16-2021

I was never interested enough to read any Indy novels*, though I've checked out the comics. I don't know if they're still in print since this was already a while back, but Dark Horse put out omnibuses of I think everything. Among the strips are adaptations of FATE OF ATLANTIS and IRON PHOENIX (the latter a cancelled, would-be follow-up to ATLANTIS from LucasArts). Very loose adaptations, but still kind of cool.

*I do know one footnote, though: A novelization of the game INDIANA JONES AND THE STAFF OF KINGS was written by go-to Rob MacGregor. But when the game had development troubles and ended up being released way late after its primary SKUs were cancelled, Lucasfilm decided to shelve the tie-in book, even though it was completed. So like the Ark of the Covenant, there is a finished but unpublished Indy novel just trapped in a warehouse due to arbitrary bureaucratic nonsense.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - commodorejohn - 06-16-2021

I picked up a copy of the hollow-earth one at the thrift store. I should really get around to reading it.