The Trouble City Forums
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=155331)

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 06-16-2021

(06-16-2021, 09:15 AM)fraid uh noman Wrote: It shipped today but you're not getting it until Saturday? Mine says it'll be here tomorrow at the latest. Who'd you order from?

Amazon.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 06-16-2021

(06-16-2021, 09:05 AM)Belloq87 Wrote: Yeah, a lot of those Indy novels are kind of fun.

Which ones?

I think I read three of them, and they were all terrible (the unicorn one was truly excruciating). 

**Some of the graphic novels by Dark Horse were pretty good.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 06-16-2021

I don't have any titles off the top of my head, I just remember enjoying the ones that came across my desk when I was younger.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - engineer - 06-16-2021

I loved the 80s Marvel Comic. I should see if they hold up.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 06-16-2021

Watching “Spring Break Adventure”, and had look up some of the actors. Okay, so Sean Patrick Flannery was in his late 20s when playing at 17 year old Indy. Okay, not uncommon to cast adult actors as teenagers. Even River Phoenix was 18 when he was supposed to be playing a 13 year old Indy. As for the actor playing Henry Jones Sr., I look up his age and… he’s a year younger than Flannery. I get it, he was cast as Henry Sr. mainly for the 9 year old Indy sections so that’s okay, but jeez.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - arjen rudd - 06-17-2021

I think I've tried to muscle through Young Indy like three separate times, and gotten sick of it extremely fast.

Last time, my stopping point was an episode on Big Game hunting with Teddy Roosevelt, played by James Gammon. That sounds fun, but it was the most boring thing anyone's ever made.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 06-17-2021

I pretty much just had the nine year old Indy “movies” playing in the background because I quickly realized they all had the same formula.

1. Indy meets a new native friend, and they get lost in the wilderness.
2. Indy’s parents and a historical figure panic and search for him
3. Indy proves the grown ups something and all is well

The only time this formula worked was when Indy got kidnapped and sold into a child slave market! It was kinda shocking to see that for what was aimed at school children. Indy even contemplating that he may never see his parents again. It’s crazy to think Lucas wouldn’t show Anakin’s life being that dire when he covered child slavery twice prior in TEMPLE OF DOOM and this show. The scene is at 33 minutes.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 06-17-2021

Delightful!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 06-17-2021

Young Indy even wears brown face.

CANCEL INDY!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - jdc8 - 06-17-2021

I enjoyed most of the Young Indy episodes that I watched when they aired. My favorite story arc is Indy and Remi fighting as Belgian soldiers in World War One. There are some great pulp-novel touches, like the group of specialized soldiers trying to take down "The Phantom Train of Doom." 

A quick bit of research uncovered why I like that arc; a lot of the episodes were written by Frank Darabont.

The Flannery Indy's interactions with historical figures like Albert Schweitzer and Siegfried Sassoon are much more satisfying to me than most of the historical encounters shown on Quantum Leap around the same time.

(06-16-2021, 06:25 PM)engineer Wrote: I loved the 80s Marvel Comic. I should see if they hold up.

I think that the most satisfying issues are #1-2, 6-8 and 11-12. This is mainly due to the artwork (John Byrne/Terry Austin, Howard Chaykin/Austin and Kerry Gammill); I managed to rescue a lot of these out of the quarter bins to give away on Halloween.

I’ll give it to the Henry Sr. actor, he does a passable Connery voice.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Misfit - 06-17-2021

If I’m remembering right, doesn’t Remi disappear when he and Indy are captured and end up in a POW camp? Indy thinks he sees him in another group of prisoners then it turns out not to be him and we never see the character again. Grim!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fraid uh noman - 06-17-2021

I watched a bit of that. He really DOES do a pretty great Connery impression..

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 06-17-2021

Odd that they'd let the Henry Sr. actor "go for" the Connery influence, yet the Old Indy they cast is NOTHING like Harrison Ford's version of Indy.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Misfit - 06-17-2021

The weird thing about the guy playing Old Indy is that he looked like a younger actor wearing prosthetics, but no, that was just his face.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 06-17-2021

I'm surprised IndianaJones.com hasn't been relaunched yet. It redirects to a damn Facebook page.

(06-17-2021, 10:44 AM)Belloq87 Wrote: Odd that they'd let the Henry Sr. actor "go for" the Connery influence, yet the Old Indy they cast is NOTHING like Harrison Ford's version of Indy.

I get the impression that actors mainly of the 20th century had one way of playing up “old” and that was the stereotypical “doddering old man” act. The TOS cast played that up in such an exaggerated way it didn’t seem natural, and I think that’s partly what George Hall was going for, and Lucas being such an old movie fanatic didn’t think it was off putting.

That all said, what REALLY puts me off isn’t all said above but rather the fact that the actor is playing up a mid-Atlantic accent, which is NOTHING like what Indy sounds like, doddering or not.

Also, that bookend for the African story is just bizarre. Indy tells a whole story to a group of strangers at a restaurant dinner, leaves, and everyone is like “what was he going about?” before moving on with finishing their dinner and then cut to black. I’m assuming this was Lucas trying to make a humorous point of how these yuppies have no idea how full of adventures Indy had and underestimated him, but it just paints a much sadder picture in my head: Indy lives his remaining years seemingly alone, telling stories to strangers who don’t care and they won’t bother to think of what he felt he had to tell. That’s just depressing.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 06-17-2021

De-canoned or not, Mangold would get major points from me if he pokes Indy's eye out.

Funnily, Harrison Ford is now older than the Old Indy actor was in that show.

(06-17-2021, 01:51 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: Indy lives his remaining years seemingly alone, telling stories to strangers who don’t care and they won’t bother to think of what he felt he had to tell. That’s just depressing.

Yeah, it's not at all how I want to think about the character.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 06-17-2021

They're going to give Harrison Ford at least a light CGI de-aging, right?

Hopefully not for the balance of the movie.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 06-17-2021

(06-17-2021, 01:53 PM)fatherdude Wrote: De-canoned or not, Mangold would get major points from me if he pokes Indy's eye out.

by a ginger cat, I hope!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - arjen rudd - 06-17-2021

(06-17-2021, 06:15 PM)Nooj Wrote:
(06-17-2021, 01:53 PM)fatherdude Wrote: De-canoned or not, Mangold would get major points from me if he pokes Indy's eye out.

by a ginger cat, I hope!

The balls of this. Just do the exact same scene.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - jdc8 - 06-17-2021

(06-17-2021, 08:00 AM)Misfit Wrote: If I’m remembering right, doesn’t Remi disappear when he and Indy are captured and end up in a POW camp? Indy thinks he sees him in another group of prisoners then it turns out not to be him and we never see the character again. Grim!

That scene does occur and it is chilling, but Remi only disappears after that due to the show's cancellation/reformatting. There was at least one more adventure with him and Indy searching for a treasure ("The Peacock's Eye"), which I believe occurs after they leave the Belgian military. This was aired as a two-hour TV movie, I think.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 06-20-2021

So far my thoughts on Young Indy:

Once I got to “Trenches of Hell” the series shot up from barely watchable to very good. Now onto “Phantom Train of Doom” and this show has become a pulpy blast! Genuinely surprised how much I’m enjoying this. I imagine if the show was more of this and didn’t bother with 10 year old Indy fluff that this series would have lasted longer.

(06-17-2021, 08:31 PM)jdc8 Wrote:
(06-17-2021, 08:00 AM)Misfit Wrote: If I’m remembering right, doesn’t Remi disappear when he and Indy are captured and end up in a POW camp? Indy thinks he sees him in another group of prisoners then it turns out not to be him and we never see the character again. Grim!

That scene does occur and it is chilling, but Remi only disappears after that due to the show's cancellation/reformatting. There was at least one more adventure with him and Indy searching for a treasure ("The Peacock's Eye"), which I believe occurs after they leave the Belgian military. This was aired as a two-hour TV movie, I think.

He actually appears in the next movie where he’s found by Indy in a building full of recovering soldiers. He’s feigning illness because he doesn’t want to be sent back to the front lines. After that he’s pretty much with Indy again.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Misfit - 06-20-2021

Ah, good for Remy. Although I just found out the actor who played him hung himself after another TV show he had got canceled. So…uh…ooh.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - jdc8 - 06-21-2021

(06-20-2021, 02:05 PM)Misfit Wrote: Ah, good for Remy. Although I just found out the actor who played him hung himself after another TV show he had got canceled. So…uh…ooh.

That is sad to hear--I really enjoyed his performance alongside Flannery. Their dynamic reminded me of the Indy/Sallah relationship a little bit, and it was a nice foreshadowing of Indy's network of global contacts.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Paul C - 06-21-2021

The old-Indy stuff in the tv show was crap, but for bringing back old Ford I always thought this was the way to do it. Like fully lean into the grizzled veteran adventurer thing, like Alain Quartermain in League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen (the comic).

I don't know how good the series was overall but I do think they did a good job with Henry Sr. Connery makes him so charming it's hard to picture him as the cold and distant father he supposedly used to be, but the guy in the series did that quite well I thought.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 06-21-2021

I’m amazed there are fans that actually want the Old Indy segments restored. I don’t get it. Aside from maybe one moment where Old Indy reunited with a lost love played by Jane Wyatt, so much of the bookends feel tonally disconnected from the stories presented and have zero integral value beyond the fact that they’re of the “original versions”.

Funnily, the only reason Lucas decided to cut them out was not because they were bad but because they wouldn’t structurally work with the stories when re-edited as movies.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 07-27-2021

Folks have identified the camera in the set photos as an ARRI Alexa LF, meaning this will be the first Indy film shot digitally. Sort of a bummer from the standpoint of "tradition," but I will not be surprised if Mangold/Papamichael deliver something more filmic-looking than Spielberg/Kaminski did for the fourth installment.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 07-27-2021

if the film looks anything like what FORD VS FERRARI looked like, it will feel much better than what crystal skull looked like originally