The Trouble City Forums
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=155331)

- Belloq87 - 05-05-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherDude View Post

Won't be much discuss on Indy 5 for awhile yet, but I did learn of another CRYSTAL SKULL missed opportunity today.  Apparently, at some point during pre-production, someone had the idea that Spalko would get part of her face chewed up in the ant attack.  Concept art by Miles Teves:

Spielberg must have nixed this during the same meeting he decided that Spalko's death should be bloodless and without impact.

God, this just irritates the hell out of me.  We've beaten the "Spielberg no longer allows violence to be fun and pulpy" issue to death at this point, but this is another nail in that coffin.  Hopefully he'll have loosened up a bit by the time he starts shooting the next one.

- bradito - 05-05-2016

ACate Blanchett's so hot in KOTCS. How dare you wish ill upon her!

- fraid uh noman - 05-05-2016

AY'all kinda make me wanna watch KOTCS again (or at least part of it) to see how ugly it really looks. The one time I saw it was theatrically and I don't feel that screening was up to snuff. I feel like it'd look better at home (such as it is)..

- carnotaur3 - 05-05-2016

And you'd be wrong.

- fraid uh noman - 05-05-2016

ASaved me some time.

For the record, I meant just better...not GOOD.

But yeah, no point in wasting that time..

- Nooj - 05-05-2016

It's very soft orange & teal bloominess.

KOTCS is The Thing. That's not Indiana Jones, it's imitation.

- freeman - 05-05-2016

AThe entire point of the thing is its perfect imitation. You cannot tell.

Skull is more like that human camo from mimick. Something's slightly off but it "looks human."

- Pither - 05-05-2016

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatherDude View Post

Won't be much discuss on Indy 5 for awhile yet, but I did learn of another CRYSTAL SKULL missed opportunity today.  Apparently, at some point during pre-production, someone had the idea that Spalko would get part of her face chewed up in the ant attack.  Concept art by Miles Teves:

Spielberg must have nixed this during the same meeting he decided that Spalko's death should be bloodless and without impact.

This could've gone some way toward helping the movie's "unscary villains" problem. Nothing like a little scarring to add some extra menace to your bad guy.

- scottieferguson - 05-05-2016

I can sort of see the reasoning behind not going that direction, though.  The way she goes out is pathetic enough, so adding an inconsequential injury on top of of it seems superfluous.  It's like Indy ripping out Mola Ram's heart before he goes into the ravine.  It'd be cool, but ultimately pointless.*

*Which you could say about this whole movie.  Baddumtisth!

- freeman - 05-05-2016

She's not truly a VILLAIN either.  I don't think she even kills anyone.

- bradito - 05-05-2016

AAll those guards her men gunned down at the beginning just suffered flesh wounds.

@_@

- commodorejohn - 05-05-2016

AShe's the Kylo Ren of the movie. Does a bunch of objectively terrible shit, yet still somehow fails to come across as the least bit threatening.

- bradito - 05-05-2016

AHow dare you!!

- itsnotatumor - 05-05-2016

Seriously, the thread title pretty much sums up my feelings about this. It was exciting years ago to think of Indiana Jones coming back to the big screen but they completely spent any good will they had and then some and the idea of another one to me shows how much of a cynical, creatively bankrupt, money grubbing business this all really is.

I mean seriously the best thing to come out of KOTCS was Lucas gracefully hanging his hat and taking a step back from all of it, because we really need someone like him to step in, shake things up and push the industry in a whole new direction.

The thing is, we would totally have that guy if only Guillermo Del Toro had directed The Hobbit and Neill Blomkamp showed signs of being the next awesome genre film director we all thought he had the potential to be.

But instead it's 2016, Biff Tannen incarnate might actually be our next President, they're remaking Ghostbusters as what seems to be mainly a stupid physical comedy with poop jokes but with chicks so even thought the ghosts look to be ripped right out of the Scooby Doo movies you're sexist if you don't like it, and somehow the writer of Armageddon and Gone Fishin' is a bigger deal in Hollywood these days than Peter Jackson who is far from perfect but seemed destined to be the next beard and lead us into geek paradise. Clearly someone is fucking with the timeline, this isn't right at all. 

I mean who in their right mind thinks a 5th Indiana Jones movie is a good idea at all right now? You cannot tell me there's not hundreds of fresh original screenplays out there right now stuck in development hell that we would all rather see than this.

In a world where it seems like we only have endless sequels and remakes to look forward to, I think I'm honestly more exited for Independence Day: Resurgence than anything else down the pipeline because the filmmakers seem to be reveling so much in how utterly dumb it is that it has to be great.

- freeman - 05-05-2016

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

All those guards her men gunned down at the beginning just suffered flesh wounds.

@_@

Her men.  Not her.

A 5th Indiana Jones is no better of an idea than a 2nd one, to be perfectly honest. We got a mediocre, passionless one and all of a sudden Indiana Jones is beyond saving!

We really don't need it, but it really can't get any worse if they tried another go around. At least Spielberg could potentially get his bite back and anything that keeps Ford's excitement up is a good thing. The man doesn't have that many more years ahead of him. The grail crossed the seal, after all.

- bradito - 05-05-2016

A[quote name="Freeman" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/540#post_4060483"]Her men.  Not her.  
[/quote]

I knew you'd go there, you old so-and-so. How many people does Belloq kill with his own two hands in "Raiders?" I count zero. I guess he sucks, too.

And Mola Ram tears that guy's heart out, but he doesn't die. Lame!

@_@

Belloq gets points for an evil killer laugh after a thirty second introduction!

- bradito - 05-05-2016

AI totally pwned Freem, though.

- freeman - 05-05-2016

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

I totally pwned Freem, though.

No you didn't guy.  Spalco sucks.  She's about as threatening as you.

"You will... help us... find it."

I was like, COME ON, Cate Blanchett!

- user_32 - 05-05-2016

For least threatening Indiana Jones villain, I'll go with this guy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by User_32 View Post

For least threatening Indiana Jones villain, I'll go with this guy.

Yes, but at least Donovan isn't trying to be a villain.  He's just wanting to be young again. Vogel is the true villain and he's great!

- user_32 - 05-05-2016

Nah, Vogel is Donavan's henchman/bitch.

The equivalent of this guy.

Henchman/bitches always die before the main villain. And with their mouths wide open.

- arjen rudd - 05-05-2016

AI always thought Vogel looked like Judge Doom in that shot.

- bradito - 05-05-2016

AYeah, Donovan's the primary antagonist in Last Crusade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by User_32 View Post

Nah, Vogel is Donavan's henchman/bitch.

The equivalent of this guy.

Henchman/bitches always die before the main villain. And with their mouths wide open.

Vogel is a much bigger character in Last Crusade than Spalko's bitch in KOTCS. He actually feels 3-Demensional compared to the other guys. What I'm saying is he feels like the real menace in the movie. And Donovan is what starts the journey for Indy, and becomes the obstacle in the way.

- fatherdude - 05-06-2016

I wouldn't say Vogel is that dimensional, but he's a nice, hissable sadist, which is what you want from an Indy baddie.  Villains like him and Mola Ram and Toht are memorable because they enjoy what they do.

Dovchenko is just a brute with no personality.  Spalko is nice and weird but she too lacks any menace whatsoever.  They introduce this intriguing concept of her being able to read minds but they do nothing with it and in fact never make it clear whether she's legit or a charlatan.  It's the movie that dares to depict a character who may or may not be psychic.  Deep!

Also Donovan may have been a bit plain but at least he had his defining moment of villainy when he shot Henry Sr.  Imagine Indy solving the three trials with no actual stakes whatsoever and you have CRYSTAL SKULL's third act.

- fatherdude - 06-08-2016

This quote has been attributed to the July issue of Empire Magazine:

Quote:

(Steven Spielberg) shows us videos of the BFG's recording session on his iPhone, looks forward to INDIANA JONES V: "We have a McGuffin, that's all I can say".

As I recall it took about eight years for them to decide the fourth movie's McGuffin would be a crystal skull.  It's been eight years since the last movie.  They're right on schedule here.

- carnotaur3 - 06-08-2016

AI wonder if Lucas even came up with one or was it Keopp and Spielberg.

- commodorejohn - 06-08-2016

AINDIANA JONES AND THE HAND OF LUKE SKYWALKER.

- history buff - 06-08-2016

It needs to be something of religious significance. Raiders and TLC were the 2 outstanding films in the series and both involve biblical artifacts. Send Indy to look for the Lost Ark or maybe the Garden of Eden.

- carnotaur3 - 06-08-2016

AThere is more out there than Judeo Christian and Jewish relics. They should find something nobody has ever heard of. Make it fresh.

- fatherdude - 06-08-2016

Quote:

Originally Posted by History Buff View Post

Raiders and TLC were the 2 outstanding films in the series and both involve biblical artifacts.

Yeah, I really don't think that's the prevailing reason those were outstanding films.