The Trouble City Forums
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=155331)

- Pither - 06-09-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agentsands77 View Post

Nah, it was Broadbent that essentially took over the Connery role.

I guess I can see that, though I tend to just think of Broadbent's dean as "guy who's not Marcus."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shreds View Post

He would've been banging her, obviously.

This feels like the obvious answer now.

- fatherdude - 06-09-2016

I think the Broadbent character was already in the script when they were still hoping Connery would participate, but I think the character filled in for Connery in the scene at Indy's house.  Henry Sr. was never written as part of the main entourage.

- Dent6084 - 06-09-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherDude View Post

I think the Broadbent character was already in the script when they were still hoping Connery would participate, but I think the character filled in for Connery in the scene at Indy's house.  Henry Sr. was never written as part of the main entourage.

Yup, exactly. Oxley already existed in Darabont's script as well, though there he was much more of a feral lunatic and Marion has a lot more to do than that first scene w/ Indy and then driving around during fight scenes. I don't think there was ever any discussion of making him Abner - or at least none that made it to the script stage.

- Stale Elvis - 06-10-2016

ALet's be honest, if he had been Abner we'd be bitching and moaning for making the Indy-verse too small.

"Why was he Abner? Abner was dead, it just invalidates Marion's struggle to make it alone in the world that hardens her."
"Yeah, Abner should have been I dunno, one of Indy's former college mates."
"Yeah"
"Yeah"
"Luca$$$$ sucks!"

This movie couldn't win either way.

Because it was shit from the off.

- fraid uh noman - 06-10-2016

AAbner should've been an Alien abductee who they just THOUGHT was dead.

...played by Brian Blessed.*

*added that last part to rally more to my cause..

- bartleby_scriven - 06-10-2016

The problem with Ox is that he comes in late in the movie and isn't really a character, because of the alien trance, until the last minute of the movie.

Imagine if instead of the Winstone character, the movie had started with Ox being with Indy and getting exposed to the aliens at Area 51.

That way you lose the constant "JONESY!!!" and actually care about Ox before he shows up like 90 minutes in.

AI do like the "Jonesy!!" Followed by the thwack!! punch thrown in the jeep chase.

- arjen rudd - 06-10-2016

ARay Winstone is retroactively the MVP of that film, because of the We Hate Movies episode.

- carnotaur3 - 06-10-2016

AJonesy and the punch was fine... At first. Then they kept repeating that beat every ten minutes to remind you how vapid their relationship was.

ANot sure Ray Winstone knew what movie his character was in. He kept changing sides at the drop of a hat.

I'm convinced the part at the end where Mack disappears is just Ray Winstone deciding he's had enough of trying to make sense of his character and saying "fuck this shit" and allowing himself to be sucked into an inter-dimensional portal rather than have to suffer sitting through numerous premiers and screenings and trying to explain his character at press junkets.

AThat still happened. I hope the pay was worth it, Ray.

- mr. stockslivevan - 06-10-2016

AOh boy, another phase of trying to understand what the hell happened with CRYSTAL SKULL.

- fatherdude - 06-10-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stale Elvis View Post

Let's be honest, if he had been Abner we'd be bitching and moaning for making the Indy-verse too small.

I don't think bringing back Abner would have been a great idea either, but the movie didn't need any help in making the Indy-verse too small.

I mean seriously, Indy's unknown love child by Marion was also fostered by his estranged archaeologist friend who happens to be the world's premiere crystal skull expert and a fellow apprentice of Abner Ravenwood?  F minus.

Did I mention Koepp is back?

- scottieferguson - 06-10-2016

And Williams.  So I guess take the good with the bad.

It would be glorious if Williams blew us away with the soundtrack.  I found CRYSTAL SKULL's score disappointing overall, though I dug the Spalko theme.

- agentsands77 - 06-10-2016

AThe guy is fading fast. At this rate, he won't be back.

I loved the counterpoint Raiders theme at the end of the credits, and even though I didn't like Mutt, enjoyed his theme.

And Spielberg said Jdubs will be back for the next one at a gala honoring him last night.  Hopefully he'll make it.  I doubt he'll be doing Episode VIII, though.

Man, you guys are bumming me out.  Not to mention making Michael Kahn (currently 80) feel bad by not worrying over his mortality, too.  These movies had an editor, y'know!

Well, he's no Verna Fields...  I kid.  Love that Kahn still uses a moviola to cut, and hopefully he'll be there too.

AUnless I hear someone is doing an extended hospital stay, I tend to not worry.

Positive vibes guys!

Naturally.  Didn't mean ole Johnny Williams would be dead by VIII, just have read hearsay he might not be interested.

A[quote name="ScottieFerguson" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/600#post_4080961"]Naturally.  Didn't mean ole Johnny Williams would be dead by VIII, just have read hearsay he might not be interested.
[/quote]

Nope, he's deffo interested in VIII - he's told Kathleen Kennedy he wants to do it, if only so no one else gets to write music for Rey - seems completely taken by the character, or Daisy Ridley.

Well in that case, heresy, not hearsay.  Cue Rey's theme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stale Elvis View Post

seems completely taken by the character, or Daisy Ridley.

No man ever gets that old.

- mr. stockslivevan - 06-10-2016

A[quote name="FatherDude" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/600_50#post_4080952"]Man, you guys are bumming me out.  Not to mention making Michael Kahn (currently 80) feel bad by not worrying over his mortality, too.  These movies had an editor, y'know!
[/quote]

I believe he finally adopted digital editing with WAR HORSE and hasn't looked back since.

- Belloq87 - 06-10-2016

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agentsands77 View Post

The guy is fading fast. At this rate, he won't be back.

That's enough of that!  Like STAR WARS, there's nobody fit to take over Indy, either.

A[quote name="Belloq87" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/600#post_4081020"]

That's enough of that!  Like STAR WARS, there's nobody fit to take over Indy, either.
[/quote]
I don't disagree. These are dark times.

- Belloq87 - 06-10-2016

Quote:

It would be glorious if Williams blew us away with the soundtrack.  I found CRYSTAL SKULL's score disappointing overall, though I dug the Spalko theme.

Have you listened to the complete score that's floating around out there, or just the album assembly?  The complete score, while still no masterpiece, feels far more cohesive and balanced, and contains some major, major highlights that Williams left off the album, including the opening warehouse action and the complete jungle chase sequence.

It is by no means a bad score, but the fact is all the previous movies have multiple earworms that don't include the Raiders March, and CRYSTAL SKULL just doesn't pass that test for me.

In the interest of saying something positive, I do love the sped up version of the Spalko theme that we get really briefly right here.

- Dent6084 - 06-10-2016

The balalaika we briefly hear in the Jungle Chase when the Russians are all hopping into their cars and in the end credits is pretty fun, and I also like the Ants! track, but yeah, it's definitely not nearly as memorable as the other three scores - or, hell, even his subsequent work on Tintin and TFA.

- Belloq87 - 06-10-2016

Quote:

It is by no means a bad score, but the fact is all the previous movies have multiple earworms that don't include the Raiders March, and CRYSTAL SKULL just doesn't pass that test for me.

In the interest of saying something positive, I do love the sped up version of the Spalko theme that we get really briefly right here.

All of the Spalko/Russian material is the strongest stuff in the score, I think.  Mutt's music was a wasted opportunity (it's not so much a theme as some orchestral flourishes), and the action setpieces (mostly) lack the kind of one-off melodies and motifs that characterized the action of the earlier Indy scores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dent6084 View Post

The balalaika we briefly hear in the Jungle Chase when the Russians are all hopping into their cars and in the end credits is pretty fun, and I also like the Ants! track, but yeah, it's definitely not nearly as memorable as the other three scores - or, hell, even his subsequent work on Tintin and TFA.

It's lower-tier Williams for me, certainly.  But even lower-tier Williams is pretty damn great compared to your average movie score these days.  Definitely agree about TINTIN and THE FORCE AWAKENS being better.  Ditto for LINCOLN and WAR HORSE (which might be his best score since 2004).

- commodorejohn - 06-10-2016

A[quote name="Belloq87" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/600#post_4081055"]It's lower-tier Williams for me, certainly.  But even lower-tier Williams is pretty damn great compared to your average movie score these days.[/quote]
You can say that another four or five times.

- hammerhead - 06-10-2016

I still feel that Williams cleared out his best leftover Indy ideas when he composed Lost World.

A[quote name="Hammerhead" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/600#post_4081071"]I still feel that Williams cleared out his best leftover Indy ideas when he composed Lost World.
[/quote]
Definitely. LOST WORLD is the Indy score we would have gotten if they'd made INDY IV in the 90s.

- fraid uh noman - 06-10-2016

ALost World and Temple of Doom have a lot in common..