The Trouble City Forums
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=155331)

- fatherdude - 06-17-2016

The Hollywood Reporter:

Quote:
And while no one ever doubts Spielberg's productivity, some might wonder how much attention he will give to his new company. Even as he has established Amblin Partners at Universal, he has committed to make Ready Player One at Warner Bros. Amblin Partners will get his midbudget historical drama The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara, and then he'll direct the fifth Indiana Jones movie for Disney. Spielberg says he's "super excited" about that movie, dated for July 2019: "I think this one is straight down the pike for the fans." He won't reveal plot details, except this: "The one thing I will tell you is I'm not killing off Harrison [Ford] at the end of it." (Amblin Partners is not a financial participant.) And then, there's a potential remake of West Side Story — which would be a Fox/MGM co-production — for which Tony Kushner is working on a script. Spielberg has dreamt of adapting it "for decades," securing rights after trying to get them 15 years ago.

Well of course he's not killing off Indy - he must survive to bookend the Young Indy Chronicles!

Am I the only one who finds "for the fans" to be ominous?  Considering he said the same thing about CRYSTAL SKULL, I'd rather he approach this one more selfishly.  Glad he's super excited, though.

- carnotaur3 - 06-17-2016

AAs long as he's excited, right? None of that, "Crystal skull, okay then. Alien beings? George... I don't know... Interdimensional, FINE... I'm not in the mood to do this, but I got friends to please" attitude he had with KOTCS.

- Evi - 06-17-2016

Wait, Spielberg might be doing West Side Story?! Ok, that is fucking awesome. He's never really done a musical has he?

I saw that!  The Beard gets attached to so many things, though.  Remember when he was going to remake HARVEY?

- agentsands77 - 06-17-2016

A[quote name="Evi" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/660#post_4084523"]Wait, Spielberg might be doing West Side Story?! Ok, that is fucking awesome. He's never really done a musical has he?
[/quote]
He tried to do PHANTOM OF THE OPERA at one point.

I suspect if this happens it'll be a post-Indy project.  At least I hope so, though Spielberg's plate has been fuller than his current one is.  He starts filming READY PLAYER ONE this month, then he'll do THE KIDNAPPING OF EDGARDO MORTARA (another Tony Kushner joint), and then Indiana, the production of which is easily two years away (summer '18?).

- Stale Elvis - 06-17-2016

AFucking nuts to think threat Speilberg at his age is continually and constantly always making movies - he's just a machine.

He obviously loves it, but to think the man is worth millions and never has to lift a finger again in his life, but he keeps making movies.

Does he not have other hobbies or interests that he would prefer to devote even a little bit of his time to? Is Kate Capshaw that dreadful to live with that he just wants to get out of the house every day?

Put your feet up once in a while Steven.

I think his craziest turnaround was when he released WAR OF THE WORLDS and MUNICH in the same year.  WAR in particular got abruptly fast-tracked after the demise of the Darabont version of Indy 4 opened up a gap in his schedule.  Probably not a coincidence that he took some time off after that.

- mr. stockslivevan - 06-17-2016

AWhere did this nickname "The Beard" come from? Is it just an obscure Chud thing?

- Evi - 06-17-2016

Don't know where it came from but it's a popular nickname for Spielberg.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatherDude View Post

I think his craziest turnaround was when he released WAR OF THE WORLDS and MUNICH in the same year.  WAR in particular got abruptly fast-tracked after the demise of the Darabont version of Indy 4 opened up a gap in his schedule.  Probably not a coincidence that he took some time off after that.

It's not just the fact that War of the Worlds got made at all, but that it looks and acts as confident as it does speaks volumes to Spielberg's talents.

Yeah, I've got major problems with WAR OF THE WORLDS (paging Koepp again), but it does not come off as a rushed project.

- bradito - 06-17-2016

AIs anyone excited for "Ready Player One?" I saw the author of the book in a documentary about the "E.T." Atari game (that had been buried in a New Mexico landfill) and decided that I was fine with avoiding anything that came from his imagination.

I've heard nothing but bad things about the book, but JAWS was a fairly trash piece of literature as well.

- bradito - 06-17-2016

ABut Peter Benchley didn't drive around in a DeLorean with an E.T. doll in the passenger seat.

- agentsands77 - 06-17-2016

AI'm guessing that Spielberg's film will be a slightly subversive adaptation.

- bartleby_scriven - 06-17-2016

I enjoyed the book. The first half is a little too precious in its references, but the second is actually about growing up and out of childhood obsessions. There's a bittersweet core and a real warmth to the relationships.

Feels kind of like a less sophisticated Cory Doctorow. Reminded me of Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom.

- user_32 - 06-17-2016

A[quote name="Evi" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/660#post_4084523"]Wait, Spielberg might be doing West Side Story?! Ok, that is fucking awesome. He's never really done a musical has he?
[/quote]

Just the opening of Temple of Doom.

And doesn't one of the kids sing in Hook?

- hammerhead - 06-17-2016

Quote:

Originally Posted by User_32 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evi View Post

Wait, Spielberg might be doing West Side Story?! Ok, that is fucking awesome. He's never really done a musical has he?

Also the diner sequence from 1941.

- Belloq87 - 06-17-2016

Quote:

Originally Posted by User_32 View Post

Indeed, the daughter does sing in HOOK.  And, if the stories are to be believed, just about everybody in the cast was meant to sing in HOOK... because it began principal photography as a full-on musical.

- arjen rudd - 06-17-2016

AReady Player One is a trash book, but he's done fine with those before. He's Steven Fucking Spielberg! Let's see him make a movie about the fan culture he hath wrought! I know a lot of people, myself included, totally read the book because they heard the premise and thought, whoa, that sounds interesting! Spielberg's created foundational classics with less.

Look at it this way: it means Spielebrg is going to be shooting a Tomb of Horrors sequence. If you're unfamiliar with that, google it. It's really good news.

A[quote name="Belloq87" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/650_50#post_4084806"]Indeed, the daughter does sing in HOOK.  And, if the stories are to be believed, just about everybody in the cast was meant to sing in HOOK... because it began principal photography as a full-on musical.
[/quote]

From what I understand Speilberg was supposed to do a straight up musical of Peter Pan with John Williams in 1985 but that got cancelled. A lot of the material Williams wrote for that musical ended up on the score, which is why it's much more melodic compared to his other scores.

- Dent6084 - 06-17-2016

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post

Also the diner sequence from 1941.

Yeah, the Dance Hall in 1941 shows what Spielberg can do with a big dance number even moreso than the opening of ToD.

And for the record, it's pretty awesome.  While I'm leery of remaking WSS, Spielberg shooting some of those dance numbers is a pretty intriguing prospect.

- Belloq87 - 06-17-2016

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Stockslivevan View Post

From what I understand Speilberg was supposed to do a straight up musical of Peter Pan with John Williams in 1985 but that got cancelled. A lot of the material Williams wrote for that musical ended up on the score, which is why it's much more melodic compared to his other scores.

That's correct, some of HOOK's music had origins in the 1985 iteration.

I'd kill to hear or see the stuff from early in HOOK's shoot; the gentlemen who produced the expanded score album for HOOK say they've seen the footage, and supposedly it's quite something (whether in a good or bad way, they've never elaborated).

One of those songs made it into the film, sung by the little girl on the ship as the pirates listen to her. "You're Not Alone" I believe was what it was called.

- Belloq87 - 06-17-2016

"When You're Alone," yes.   "We Don't Wanna Grow Up," the song Peter's daughter's school class sings in the opening sequence, was also supposedly a leftover from the 1985 version, meant for the Lost Boys.

Most of the other major themes in the score have Leslie Bricusse lyrics written for them (since these themes were intended to be songs sung by the cast), though only "Childhood" and "Low Below" can be found (and only in fragments) in various online sources.

- commodorejohn - 06-17-2016

A[quote name="Belloq87" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/650#post_4084860"]"We Don't Wanna Grow Up," the song Peter's daughter's school class sings in the opening sequence,[/quote]
...we're Toys 'R' Us kids?

- Belloq87 - 06-17-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post

...we're Toys 'R' Us kids?

It actually does have that vibe!  It's not Williams' or Bricusse's best work, for sure.

ETA: I'm just talking purely about that one song.  HOOK overall is one of my favorite Williams scores.

ATo counter, KOTCS is one of his worst. As well as AOTC.

- Belloq87 - 06-17-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnotaur3 View Post

To counter, KOTCS is one of his worst. As well as AOTC.

Neither of those are among my favorite scores, certainly, though both do have some solid highlights.  You can't really blame Johnny, however, because those are both the worst entries in their respective franchises.

AAnd you can make the claim that with AOTC he was sort of going through the motions as 2002 was among his busiest years. AOTC, MINORITY REPORT, CHAMBER OF SECRETS, and CATCH ME IF YOU CAN in one year.

- Belloq87 - 06-18-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stockslivevan View Post

And you can make the claim that with AOTC he was sort of going through the motions as 2002 was among his busiest years. AOTC, MINORITY REPORT, CHAMBER OF SECRETS, and CATCH ME IF YOU CAN in one year.

Yeah, that was a slammed year for him.  It's kind of interesting that I find his two summer scores that year far less engaging than his two winter scores.  I appreciate MINORITY REPORT's score, but I don't actually like it - or listen to it - very much, whereas I get a ton of mileage out of CHAMBER and CATCH ME.

And yet, the next time he pulled off four scores in a year (2005), I think they all turned out varying degrees of excellent.

- commodorejohn - 06-18-2016

APlus, I think we can all agree that even the mightiest of composers would struggle to bring out the gripping emotion at the core of AOTC. A good composer can elevate even a crummy movie, but it's hard to fault them if the movie can't do any of the heavy lifting itself.

- Richard Dickson - 06-18-2016

AI can't bag too much on AOTC's, because "Across the Stars" is a fantastic theme. Then again, that's all I remember from it.

As for Hook's score, listening to it before the film's release made me think we were getting the greatest adventure movie of all time. I still wonder what Williams was watching when he wrote it.

- arjen rudd - 06-18-2016

AThe tragedy of Hook is that everyone was so clearly up for it. They were aiming for a grand slam home run in the World Series, and they barely got to first on a Fielder's choice.