The Trouble City Forums
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=155331)

- user_32 - 06-23-2016

Writing onset isn't exactly a unique thing though. I think all the Indy films were being re-written at certain moments during shooting.

- MichaelM - 06-23-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnotaur3 View Post

As I recall though, Keopp was even writing onset. So that at least tells me everyone was aware it wasn't exactly all in place the moment they started principal photography.

I don't think this is all that unusual. I've read/seen many behind-the-scenes pieces in which the principle cast and crew remarked on pages coming in during filming.

Edit: Jinx, User_32!

- carnotaur3 - 06-23-2016

AI know it's not completely unusual. But Keopp was on set everyday. But tell me, what's the difference between a locked script and a still fluctuating one?

With a locked script, everyone's happy with what they have as a whole.

- fatherdude - 06-23-2016

Steven Spielberg says Harrison Ford is not too old for ‘Indiana Jones 5’

Quote:

With two years until the beginning of filming of “Indiana Jones 5," Spielberg rejected the prophets of doom who say septuagenarian Harrison Ford will be too old to play the titular hero.

“As Harrison matures so does his character and yet he did so many of his own stunts in ‘The Force Awakens,’” Spielberg told the Daily News while promoting his new movie, “The BFG.”

“He keeps himself in such brilliant physical shape that I don’t believe when 2018 comes around, which is when I’m slated to direct the fifth installment coming out in 2019, I think Harrison is going to be able do a lot of what the script is asking him to do.

“We’re not concerned about that at all.”

- bradito - 06-23-2016

AJust hire a young guy and CGI Harrison Ford's face on him.

- Paul C - 06-23-2016

Well, realistically he's not going to say "Yep, by 2018 Harrison'll be a withered old coot who doesn't know what day it is, but he's going to star in it anyway".

- fatherdude - 06-23-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

Just hire a young guy and CGI Harrison Ford's face on him.

Replace him with Sean Connery!

AThis is the set they end up taking Ford's life on, isn't it?

Well, if he's gonna go, he'll go happy.

- raynis - 06-23-2016

AHow do you think they're going to avoid Shia Laboof? There's no way they'll bring him back, right? But they can't just ignore him.

- cylon baby - 06-23-2016

Shia was not the problem with KOTC. Whether he's now capable of acting at all, never mind his relationship with The Beard, are more pertinent questions.

A[quote name="Raynis" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/750#post_4088566"]How do you think they're going to avoid Shia Laboof? There's no way they'll bring him back, right? But they can't just ignore him.[/quote]

Easy. He ends up "going back to finish school".

- commodorejohn - 06-23-2016

A[quote name="Carnotaur3" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/750#post_4088558"]This is the set they end up taking Ford's life on, isn't it?

Well, if he's gonna go, he'll go happy.[/quote]
Any man should be proud to die as Indiana Jones.

- chaz - 06-23-2016

No questioned why Short Round wasn't in The Last Crusade, I don't see why Mutt has to be acknowledge either. I don't have a problem with Shia performance in KOTCS, I do have a BIG problem with the CGI swinging monkeys scene.

If The Beard ends up getting in the groove of traveling to all sorts of exotic locations this time, that will have gone a long way for me to forgiving him from the smallness that KOTCS had.

- raynis - 06-23-2016

A[quote name="Chaz" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/780#post_4088589"] No questioned why Short Round wasn't in The Last Crusade, I don't see why Mutt has to be acknowledge either.
[/quote]

Short Round wasn't Indy's son. And DOOM didn't end with Indy carrying off Short's mother to go do some fuckin'.

- user_32 - 06-23-2016

Take the Creed approach. Mutt is adventuring in Vancouver.

- freeman - 06-24-2016

Don't you dare dump Mutt Williams on MY town!

- hammerhead - 06-24-2016

According to the timeline, Raiders should have accounted for the absence of both Short Round and Willie Scott.

- mr. stockslivevan - 06-24-2016

AIt's easy to dismiss Willie like a Bond girl that Indy dumped.

I do feel Short Round deserved a shout out. He really should have appeared in the wedding and that's it.

- user_32 - 06-24-2016

AHe should've been the limo driver.

"Take us to the hotel."

"Okie dokie Doctor Jones, hold on to your potatoes!"

- fatherdude - 06-24-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stockslivevan View Post

He really should have appeared in the wedding and that's it.

According to Rhys-Davies, they actually wanted to green-screen Sallah into the wedding, but he turned it down.  Considering he expressed interest in appearing in Indiana Jones 4 in basically every interview he ever gave since LAST CRUSADE, he must have been really unimpressed with that cameo idea.

- user_32 - 06-24-2016

ASallah should've been the Mac character. But I guess the betrayal would've pissed people off.

- Stale Elvis - 06-24-2016

A[quote name="FatherDude" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/750#post_4088870"]
According to Rhys-Davies, they actually wanted to green-screen Sallah into the wedding, but he turned it down.  Considering he expressed interest in appearing in Indiana Jones 4 in basically every interview he ever gave since LAST CRUSADE, he must have been really unimpressed with that cameo idea.
[/quote]

Can't imagine why. I mean he was on location with the first and third movies, whereas this one they probably asked him if he'd put up a green shower curtain in his bathroom and film himself and they'd comp him in later.

A[quote name="User_32" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/750#post_4088873"]Sallah should've been the Mac character. But I guess the betrayal would've pissed people off.[/quote]

Yeah, nothing like character development to piss off an audience.

- raynis - 06-24-2016

AI would have commended them if they killed Sallah liked they did Mac. It would have been exciting as fresh.

- Codename - 06-24-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post

According to the timeline, Raiders should have accounted for the absence of both Short Round and Willie Scott.

The timeline inaccuracies really bug me.  Like, why is Indy such a sceptic of the supernatural in Raiders when he literally saw mind control and magic in action in Doom?

I'm okay with Indy's regressed skepticism because they're at least consistent with it.  At the beginning of every movie, he discredits the supernatural.  It's not just TEMPLE and RAIDERS.  He dismisses the legend of the grail as a "bedtime story" and tells Mutt "I dunno, kid, it's just a story" when recalling the myth of Akator in the diner.

- MichaelM - 06-24-2016

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stale Elvis View Post

Yeah, nothing like character development to piss off an audience.

I can't agree that Sallah replacing Mac, including Mac's betrayal, would've been "character development." Given that Sallah's been shown to be loyal to the point of possibly losing his life, having him turn coat Because Plot would've have been development, it would've been arbitrary plot twist.

So when Mark Rylance inevitably gets cast in this, would you want him to be an ally or foe?  He'd be terrific either way.

- user_32 - 06-24-2016

Main foe since he hasn't played a villain on screen yet. He could pull off menacing very well.

A[quote name="User_32" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/750#post_4088907"]Main foe since he hasn't played a villain on screen yet. He could pull off menacing very well.
[/quote]

You don't think a Cold War spy is a villain?

Commie.

I'm just glad Spielberg's new pet actor that he wants to plug into every production possible is this awesome thespian, whereas ten years ago it was Shia Labeouf.  (True, Shia was only in one Spielberg film, but as a producer Spielberg was certainly grooming him.)

AShia was a promising actor a decade ago, before his own personal issues tainted his rep and it became trendy to hate on him (and he certainly made it easy). I think it's too bad because he did have potential as a movie star. He's no slouch in CRYSTAL SKULL, he had good chemistry with Ford.

His performance was not a problem, but I'm still annoyed they actually went with the idea of giving Indy a son.  It seemed for awhile they would dodge that cliché - in fact I swear there was an interview (probably from the Darabont era) where Harrison insisted Indy wouldn't be a dad - but of course they capitulated in the end.  Mutt would have been way better served if he had just remained some greaser kid the whole movie.  The air completely went out of the Mutt/Indy dynamic once his parentage was revealed.  In fact, every side character becomes dead weight at that halfway mark.

AI don't mind the idea of Indy finding out he had a son, but it could have been handled better. The clunkiest moment though was when they tried calling back to LAST CRUSADE with Indy calling him "Junior" and him calling back "dad". There's enough chemistry between the two that they didn't really need to be so on the nose (though I do like the call back with Mutt laughing while Indy looks stern).