The Trouble City Forums
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=155331)

- carnotaur3 - 10-02-2016

Nathan Drake is too much of a C-class Actor's name for me to take seriously.

- freeman - 10-02-2016

The uncharted games, as well as the newer Tomb Raider games, are so much better than Crystal Skull it's insane.

- arjen rudd - 10-02-2016

Is there still a need to qualify that Mutt Williams wasn't Shia's fault? Of course it wasn't. Shia LaBouef didn't cast himself in the role. Or create such a role that Shia LaBouef could be cast as.

It's still about as wrong as the concept 'Indiana Jones's son' could be.

- freeman - 10-02-2016

AHe didn't have to say yes to the movie!! He saw the script!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freeman View Post

He didn't have to say yes to the movie!! He saw the script!

Which one?

- raynis - 10-02-2016

AI don't think he got to read the script before signing on. He's said in the past that all he knew was his character type and motivation. He didn't know he was going to be revealed as Indy's son until he signed on.

- freeman - 10-02-2016

AThere's no way he signed on without seeing a script.

I mean, there totally is. But that's dumb! As over the moon and shitting myself with glee as I would be to be cast in an indiana Jones movie, a small part of me would want to confirm I wasn't going to be remembered as the Indiana Jones jake Lloyd.

Nah, I would NEVER sign on knowing that I'll be playing a key part in one of the biggest movie franchises that I loved as a kid starring Harrison Ford and directed by Steven Spielberg and be getting paid millions of dollars.

NEVER!

- freeman - 10-02-2016

AIf you were in a position where you know the role will be recieved with jake Lloyd levels of hatred forever and ever, would you still do it?

- raynis - 10-02-2016

ASpielberg didn't even let Trevorrow see the JURASSIC WORLD script until he was under contract to direct the film. And once he got to read it, he was not happy at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freeman View Post

If you were in a position where you know the role will be recieved with jake Lloyd levels of hatred forever and ever, would you still do it?

You wouldn't know.

- bradito - 10-02-2016

A"Ooh, Steven, you tricked me!!"

-Colin Trevorrow

- freeman - 10-02-2016

AI wonder what it looked like before Trevorrow fixed it completely.

I wonder if Trevorrow ever sits in a dark room and thinks about what he's done with shame.

- freeman - 10-02-2016

A[quote name="Carnotaur3" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/900#post_4143029"]
You wouldn't know.
[/quote]

You'd know!

- bradito - 10-02-2016

A"I directed a movie that earned $1 billion+ dollars. Nobody likes Freeman."

-Colin Trevorrow

Hard to be ashamed when you're swimming in a pool of gold from a big box office success.

- freeman - 10-02-2016

A[quote name="Bradito" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/900#post_4143034"]"I directed a movie that earned $1 billion+ dollars. Nobody likes Freeman."

-Colin Trevorrow[/quote]

People like me...

crickets chirp

- bradito - 10-02-2016

A"He thinks people like him. That's the funny part."

-Colin Trevorrow

- freeman - 10-02-2016

A:'(

- bradito - 10-02-2016

AI'm interviewing Colin Trevorrow, but he's mostly talking shit.

"When you make a billion dollars, people will like you, freeman. People will say yes all the time. People will give you blowjobs for free!"

- Colin Trevorrow

- freeman - 10-02-2016

A*kicks out chair. Chokes, struggles. Dies*

- bradito - 10-02-2016

A"The world is better off now."

-Colin Trevorrow

- freeman - 10-02-2016

A*rots*

A"From time to time I sense Freeman's ghost in the room. Surely he had unfinished business."

- Colin Trevorrow

- mr. stockslivevan - 10-03-2016

A[quote name="Arjen Rudd" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/900#post_4143016"]Is there still a need to qualify that Mutt Williams wasn't Shia's fault? Of course it wasn't. Shia LaBouef didn't cast himself in the role. Or create such a role that Shia LaBouef could be cast as.

It's still about as wrong as the concept 'Indiana Jones's son' could be.
[/quote]

I'm not even sure about that. I know I wouldn't want the child of Indy to simply be a clone of Indy like Lara Croft and Nathan Drake seems to be. I think the concept of Mutt is sound, but could have been better executed not involving CGI monkeys, plant to the crotch, sword fighting silliness.

- commodorejohn - 10-03-2016

A[quote name="Carnotaur3" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/900#post_4143035"]Hard to be ashamed when you're swimming in a pool of gold from a big box office success.[/quote]
Do they actually do that for these people? I thought that was the whole point of studios hiring directors who weren't big household names, so they could work them hard and then stiff them when it was convenient.

- carnotaur3 - 10-03-2016

Yeah, but surely Trevorrow had some percentage in that. Surely.

- fatherdude - 10-03-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stockslivevan View Post

I'm not even sure about that. I know I wouldn't want the child of Indy to simply be a clone of Indy like Lara Croft and Nathan Drake seems to be. I think the concept of Mutt is sound, but could have been better executed not involving CGI monkeys, plant to the crotch, sword fighting silliness.

The "wrong" part was giving Indy a son at all.  It's a dumb cliché and they indulged in it, and it wasn't put to any more purpose than to be able to present a hollow reversal of the Ford/Connery dynamic from LAST CRUSADE.

Shia's performance itself is not a problem, and I sometimes wonder how the movie would have played if he could have just remained some greaser kid throughout the entirety of the film.  You'd have to lose Marion, but then that movie could stand to lose a few supporting characters.

ATrue about Marion. If I wanted to get rid of her, I would have it be revealed that Marion was his mother in the middle, and she actually passed away. I'd imply that there's a father/son thing going on, but leave it open for interpretation. They may never know their true relation, perhaps only suspect.

Another option was to keep Marion, but not have Mutt, which was the route Darabont took.  Bottom line is someone had to get cut.  There was one too many supporting characters in the movie, preventing any one of them from really getting any dimension.

ACut Marion, just so we wouldn't need to endure Karen Allen constantly grinning.

- fraid uh noman - 10-03-2016

ASmiling people suck?

This would seem to explain a lot of the general attitude round these parts most of the time lol..

The problem with Marion is that the script had exactly two uses for her: the initial reveal and the wedding.  So for the hour's duration between those two scenes, the movie's got nothing for her to do but make the occasional barb and drive off a cliff.

Mutt is similarly turned into dead weight the moment he's revealed to be Indy's son.  The movie just doesn't know what to do with characters after their initial scenes.  This pattern starts right from the prologue that Mac should not have survived.