The Trouble City Forums
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=155331)

- MichaelM - 10-05-2016

How I'm feeling right now:

- fraid uh noman - 10-05-2016

A[quote name="MichaelM" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/1020#post_4144525"]Damn, Fraid. You're making me feel fat.

Barely 5'9" and a tad over 170 lbs.
[/quote]
Naw 170 is a good weight.

I've always been extraordinarily lean. Which I don't understand because I'm Czech...and those are generally burly people. Maybe it's my Indian half.

The heaviest I ever got was 185. But that was in my shredded, brick shithouse weight lifting days...at least two and a half years ago give or take..

- agentsands77 - 10-05-2016

A[quote name="MichaelM" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/1050#post_4144529"]How I'm feeling right now:

[/quote]
Well, two years ago I was 5'10" and 260 lbs.

But now I'm svelt!

- bartleby_scriven - 10-05-2016

The turn this thread has taken:

AWe can only bitch about Crystal Skull so much..

- freeman - 10-05-2016

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post

Needs the Marvel logo tattooed on his chest for greater accuracy.

Nooj! Your photoshop skillz are required.

A[quote name="Agentsands77" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/1050#post_4144531"]
Well, two years ago I was 5'10" and 260 lbs.

But now I'm svelt![/quote]
Damn!

Way to go!

Good on you man! Your health is too important and I'm glad you took control of it..

- MichaelM - 10-05-2016

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freeman View Post

Quote:

Needs the Marvel logo tattooed on his chest for greater accuracy.

Nooj! Your photoshop skillz are required.

I am offended, sir!

- freeman - 10-05-2016

AI had no idea michael! You just created a new avatar methinks.

- MichaelM - 10-05-2016

Thought about giving him Cap's shield and Loki's helmet but was too lazy.

- fatherdude - 10-05-2016

This thread has betrayed Shiva.

A[quote name="FatherDude" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/1050#post_4144560"]This thread has betrayed Shia.
[/quote]

- agentsands77 - 10-05-2016

A[quote name="Fraid uh noman" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/1050#post_4144542"]
Damn!

Way to go!

Good on you man! Your health is too important and I'm glad you took control of it..[/quote]
Yeah, diabetes and heart issues run in my family, so I had to do something.

I feel a lot better now that I'm eating better and exercising regularly.

- commodorejohn - 10-05-2016

AConsidering my parents, I'm happy to have made it to 5'10".

- freeman - 10-05-2016

A[quote name="MichaelM" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/1050#post_4144558"]Thought about giving him Cap's shield and Loki's helmet but was too lazy.
[/quote]

You do that and I'll be forced to change.

A[quote name="commodorejohn" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/1050#post_4144568"]Considering my parents, I'm happy to have made it to 5'10".[/quote]
That's kinda how I feel too. I'm like the tallest one in my family. My sisters are 4' 10" and 5' 1" and my dad's 5' 5". With a last name like Savage people always expect something other than a bunch of tiny folk I guess..

- MichaelM - 10-05-2016

I can relate. My mother's barely 5' tall, and her family runs short. My dad is 6'1", so I guess I have him to thank for keeping me around average height. Or at least clearing 5'5".

- Belloq87 - 10-05-2016

Eventually there might be Indiana Jones talk in this Indiana Jones thread, right?

- MichaelM - 10-05-2016

Your height and family's height tendencies are required for entry. Sorry.

- Belloq87 - 10-05-2016

Quote:

Your height and family's height tendencies are required for entry. Sorry.

- chaz - 10-05-2016

I'm 5'6. The same height as Tom Cruise without all the Scientology  baggage.

- freeman - 10-05-2016

I could have my way with tiny Tom Cruise and  there's nothing he could do.

- raynis - 10-05-2016

AI'd watch with a cigarette. And deny his claims

- freeman - 10-05-2016

Cruise'll do FOOKIN nuttin!

- fatherdude - 10-20-2016

The more I think about it, the more I think this should just be the Indiana Jones haunted castle movie.  We almost got that for the third film, but in the end the only echo that remained was this establishing shot of Castle Brunwald:

To me it satisfies so many checkmarks.  It's a concept that everybody can get on board with, it gets us on the correct side of the Atlantic Ocean, and it's a story that suits an adventurer in his 70s.  And this series is way behind schedule on being spooky again.

- fraid uh noman - 10-20-2016

AThat shot looks straight out of a Hammer horror film..

- agentsands77 - 10-20-2016

AThe haunted house idea isn't awful as long as they don't Scooby Doo it up like they did in the MONKEY KING script.

I've been advocating for a Hammer horror-style INDY V since KINGDOM came out.

- fatherdude - 10-20-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agentsands77 View Post

The haunted house idea isn't awful as long as they don't Scooby Doo it up like they did in the MONKEY KING script.

Chris Columbus gonna Chris Columbus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agentsands77 View Post

I've been advocating for a Hammer horror-style INDY V since KINGDOM came out.

The beautiful thing about using Hammer as your reference point is it works just as well in a 50s/60s context as the 30s.  And it would be far less polarizing than the sci-fi angle was with the fourth film.

- MichaelM - 10-20-2016

A haunted house Indy would be really hard to pull off. Globe-trotting is a HUGE part of the character's appeal and DNA, and a haunted house is by nature a smaller, fixed location. A haunted fortress or castle might be more workable....maybe.

ABy "house" I'm pretty sure we all mean "castle," which is how Lucas originally developed the concept.

- Belloq87 - 10-20-2016

Disney has shown they're not totally averse to macabre elements - stuff in the PIRATES movies gets into horror-type territory, THE LONE RANGER would have been about werewolves if the budget hadn't exploded out of control, they also put out FRANKENWEENIE, which is a total love letter to the genre, and they've been flirting with Guillermo del Toro doing a Haunted Mansion movie for a decade.  So I don't think the general haunted castle concept would be too outside-the-box for them... but it might be for Spielberg.  He remains, for me, the biggest unknown quantity in this whole project, which sounds insane to say, but I think it's true.

Quote:

A haunted house Indy would be really hard to pull off. Globe-trotting is a HUGE part of the character's appeal and DNA, and a haunted house is by nature a smaller, fixed location. A haunted fortress or castle might be more workable....maybe.

Follow the TEMPLE OF DOOM template.  Exciting opening setpiece teaser, then settle in for some moody exploring in the second act before building back up to an actiony level in the third act.  If Spielberg could work some POLTERGEIST magic again, I think he could come up with a balance that would satisfy.

A[quote name="FatherDude" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/1050#post_4155940"]

The beautiful thing about using Hammer as your reference point is it works just as well in a 50s/60s context as the 30s.  And it would be far less polarizing than the sci-fi angle was with the fourth film.
[/quote]
They actually already referenced Hammer with TEMPLE (which draws on Hammer's STRANGLERS OF BOMBAY).

But, yeah, so much potential for great artifacts and settings, ala INDIANA JONES AND THE GOLDEN VAMPIRES.

- MichaelM - 10-20-2016

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belloq87 View Post

Follow the TEMPLE OF DOOM template.  Exciting opening setpiece teaser, then settle in for some moody exploring in the second act before building back up to a actiony level in the third act.  If Spielberg could work some POLTERGEIST magic again, I think he could come up with a balance that would satisfy.

Yeah, I'd be down with that.

- fraid uh noman - 10-20-2016

AI could've sworn that Temple of Doom WAS what became of that haunted house idea.

I don't care what they make as long as it's good..

A[quote name="Belloq87" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/1080#post_4156002"]So I don't think the general haunted castle concept would be too outside-the-box for them... but it might be for Spielberg.  He remains, for me, the biggest unknown quantity in this whole project, which sounds insane to say, but I think it's true.
[/quote]
It's definitely true.

His notion of what these movies should be has shifted so much since the 80s. I think he can still bring the magic, but no matter what, INDY V will be broad and cartoonish.