The Trouble City Forums
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=155331)

- boone daniels - 03-06-2017

Did not realize that Spielberg was freaking seventy at this point. He's gonna live forever.

- Belloq87 - 03-06-2017

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boone Daniels View Post

Did not realize that Spielberg was freaking seventy at this point. He's gonna live forever.

Here's hoping.  With any luck, he's got another 15 - 20 years of active work to come.  He doesn't strike me as the type who'll retire.

- fatherdude - 03-06-2017

Scorsese certainly hasn't lost any vitality in his 70s.  It's not just the fact that he's making movies, but aggressive movies.  The last thing that crosses your mind when watching WOLF OF WALL STREET is "Yup, this was made by a guy who's out of gas."

Friedkin is another one I'd point to - if that mofo can belt out something as outrageous as KILLER JOE when he's like 75, then Spielberg can make another Indy.  If he really wanted to.

- Belloq87 - 03-06-2017

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatherDude View Post

If he really wanted to.

And he must, right?  He doesn't need the money.  The only reason he's doing it must be because he really wants to.

I mean, Lucas said the same thing about the fourth one.  The exact phrase "it's not like we're doing this for the money" may have even been used.

- Belloq87 - 03-06-2017

Well, I think Lucas did really want to make that movie, and was more the driving force there than Spielberg was.

I trust Spielberg's instincts, especially if unencumbered by a premise he was never sold on from the start.

- boone daniels - 03-06-2017

Yeah, it's clear that if and when Indy V ever happens (as opposed to a reboot), it will be because Spielberg wants to give the character a fitting end.

- Stale Elvis - 03-06-2017

ANah. I don't think Indy V is happening. Certainly not with Ford or Speilberg. Not what I want, but I just can't see it happening now.

Except a fifth movie with Ford and Spielberg is exactly what's being planned, so what are you predicting here?  Somebody dying?  Spielberg coming out and saying "Madeja look"?

- Stale Elvis - 03-06-2017

A[quote name="FatherDude" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/1150#post_4244790"]Except a fifth movie with Ford and Spielberg is exactly what's being planned, so what are you predicting here?  Somebody dying?  Spielberg coming out and saying "Madeja look"?
[/quote]

They've been 'planning' it for a few years now with seemingly little news or traction. I think the whole Yeah we're making an Indy V!! was part of Disney's initial buyout of LFL euphoria, but I think Ford is reaaallly fucking stretching it now and Speilberg doesn't seem too keen outside of generic yeah, we're trying to put a script together soundbites. I think it's more wishful thinking at this point.

Well, the no news part really comes down to how early they announced it.  If the shoot is planned for summer 2018, as Spielberg has alluded, then the project is on track by default as long as they're writing the script, and Koepp has said in the fall that this process was "going well."  So there's not much to talk about yet, but it's not like there's any reason to think the project is floundering either.

If we're still waiting for concrete news this time next year, then I'll get suspicious.

- Belloq87 - 03-06-2017

I believe John Williams is on the record at some concert somewhere last year as having said that Spielberg has told him the movie is happening.  I doubt Spielberg would tell his closest collaborator something like that if he didn't really have an intention of doing it.

- carnotaur3 - 03-06-2017

Spielberg really should swing for the fences on Indy V and make the movie completely gonzo bonkers.

- commodorejohn - 03-06-2017

A[quote name="Carnotaur3" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/1200#post_4244824"]Spielberg really should swing for the fences on Indy V and make the movie completely gonzo bonkers.[/quote]
You said this and now all I can think of is some kind of unholy mad hybrid with Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

- Dent6084 - 03-06-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post

You said this and now all I can think of is some kind of unholy mad hybrid with Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

"Jock, we can't stop here - this is snake country! I hate snakes, Jock!"

- arjen rudd - 03-06-2017

AIndiana Jones and the Doorways of Perception

- mr. stockslivevan - 03-06-2017

AIf Spielberg could deliver a new Indy movie with the manic energy of TEMPLE OF DOOM, I don't know what I would do but look in awe.

- Belloq87 - 03-06-2017

I just want the violence to be that perfect Indy mixture of edgy and over-the-top again.

- agentsands77 - 03-06-2017

A[quote name="Belloq87" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/1200#post_4244873"]I just want the violence to be that perfect Indy mixture of edgy and over-the-top again.
[/quote]
People keep asking for this.

Not gonna happen.

- Belloq87 - 03-06-2017

Sure.  I still want it, though.

- itsnotatumor - 03-06-2017

I think they should just de-age Harrison Ford for this, set it up between Raiders and Last Crusade, bring back Short Round and call it a day.

​That or do a proper aged Indiana Jones movie and have him going after Excalibur.

- call me roy - 03-06-2017

A[quote name="Belloq87" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/1200_100#post_4244873"]I just want the violence to be that perfect Indy mixture of edgy and over-the-top again.
[/quote]

Then he needs to go through another divorce.

Now, from Kate Capshaw..

Who was in Temple of Doom..

So he can achieve a mindset that would revel in on screen bloodshed exhibited in..

TEMPLE OF DOOM.

*world explodes*

- Dent6084 - 03-11-2017

And for all the talk about Spielberg's schedule... turns out he's moving Edgardo Mortara back to next year to work with Isaac and Rylance's schedules and find the right child actor, and doing The Post with Hanks and Streep this year instead (for a release this winter).

http://awardswatch.com/news/stop-the-presses-spielbergs-the-post-with-hanks-and-streep-to-hit-this-oscar-season/

- fatherdude - 03-11-2017

Shouldn't impact Indy, but boy does this guy keep busy.

- Belloq87 - 03-11-2017

I just hope EDGARDO MORTARA doesn't become another ROBOPOCALYPSE and ends up never happening.  I'm much more interested in that story than what THE POST appears to be offering.

- fatherdude - 03-11-2017

AI don't see Spielberg dropping that project.  It sounds like they were very close to filming, whereas ROBOPOCALYPSE had unresolved script and budget issues. Worst case scenario is he doesn't get to it until after INDY 5 (the release date for which I imagine is less movable what with the Disney factor), but I can see him filming it in the coming fall or winter. He's known to shoot fast, so I guess the question is what kind of demands post-production of READY PLAYER ONE places on him this year.

- Belloq87 - 03-12-2017

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatherDude View Post

I don't see Spielberg dropping that project.  It sounds like they were very close to filming, whereas ROBOPOCALYPSE had unresolved script and budget issues. Worst case scenario is he doesn't get to it until after INDY 5 (the release date for which I imagine is less movable what with the Disney factor), but I can see him filming it in the coming fall or winter. He's known to shoot fast, so I guess the question is what kind of demands post-production of READY PLAYER ONE places on him this year.

Sure, I could envision EDGARDO MORTARA shooting while INDY V begins post late next year.  I just hope it actually happens; I think it's a fascinating untold story, whereas I think THE POST is going tread general ground that's been well-covered many times in the cinematic medium by this point.

- user_32 - 03-12-2017

AYeah, but Tom Hanks + Meryl Streep + Steven Spielberg. That's the reason to watch.

- agentsands77 - 03-12-2017

AI don't like "prestige picture" Tom Hanks.

There, I said it.

- fatherdude - 03-12-2017

AI wish we lived in a universe where THE LADYKILLERS was a huge hit and Tom Hanks' weirdest performance ever was validated. I will be pissed if it comes out that the tepid reaction to that movie is the only reason it's his sole Coen Bros. outing.

Hanks is terrific as the modern day Jimmy Stewart and all but he's so clearly capable of sinking his teeth into some batty characters and letting it all hang out that I wish he'd seek out those opportunities more. In related news, THE CIRCLE looks terrible.

- user_32 - 03-12-2017

Terrible but I bet Tom Hanks is still great in the role. His second "villain" role (after Ladykillers).

- raynis - 03-12-2017

AI love THE LADYKILLERS remake!

Saw what you will about the film (I think it's a masterpiece) but these two roles in CLOUD ATLAS are gold:

[Image: 1000]

[Image: 1000]

- Belloq87 - 03-12-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by User_32 View Post

Yeah, but Tom Hanks + Meryl Streep + Steven Spielberg. That's the reason to watch.

I mean, any movie Spielberg makes is going to be worth seeing.  He's my favorite director.  Hanks is one of my favorite working actors.  Streep, though, I haven't been too impressed with in probably over a decade.  And when she signs on to projects with zeitgeist-y or political relevance, we get rubbish like LIONS FOR LAMBS, RENDITION, and THE IRON LADY.  Granted, none of those had a master like Spielberg at the helm.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agentsands77 View Post

I don't like "prestige picture" Tom Hanks.

There, I said it.

I can kind of see where you might be coming from with this, but I still think he's done really good work in that capacity.  He was pretty damn great in SULLY last year, and his turn as Walt Disney in the wannabe prestige pic SAVING MR. BANKS is wonderful; the edges are slightly softened, perhaps, but he plays him as a real and imperfect human being.

But I agree with others that I'd love to see Hanks take on more "weird" performances.  I think he'd be an amazing Bond villain if given the chance.

- boone daniels - 03-12-2017

The scene in SAVING MR BANKS where Walt talks about "ol' Elias Disney" is why you get an actor like Tom Hanks. Also, he's really good in BRIDGE OF SPIES.

- arjen rudd - 03-12-2017

ASaving Mr. Banks kind of caught me by surprise. It's a prestige Oscar movie done in the style of a Disney theme park attraction, which is kind of laughable. Then when I watched it, I remembered that I like Disneyland. It's really well calibrated, truly earnest bit of corporate propaganda. Hanks and Thompson are great actors doing their damndest, and I'm sure the huge number of Disney hardcores out there had a great time. Certainly not an important movie, but kind of a good one, if you're on it's wavelength.