The Trouble City Forums
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=155331)

- call me roy - 04-25-2017

APlease get Andy Seekis to mo-cap in an old Harrison Ford body. I would pay to see that and if they did it well enough no one would notice.

SHUT UP IT COULD WORK!!!!!!

- bradito - 04-25-2017

A[quote name="Arjen Rudd" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/1230#post_4276759"]How do you do some Unforgiven riff with Indiana Jones? They better have something up their damn sleeves.
[/quote]

They'll go the "Logan" route.

Harrison Ford is... "Henry."

- call me roy - 04-25-2017

AMaybe he can disembowel someone...

- raynis - 04-25-2017

A[quote name="Call Me Roy" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/1260#post_4276811"]Maybe he can disembowel someone...[/quote]

[Image: tumblr_n05h68zmhr1r0nut4o1_4002.gif?w=650]

- fatherdude - 04-25-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belloq87 View Post

I'm baffled by the release date change, and it honestly makes me question if the movie's really going to happen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjen Rudd View Post

I think this movie never gets made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agentsands77 View Post

Yeah, I'm thinking it ain't really gonna happen.

Yeah, this isn't a great sign of enthusiasm on Spielberg or Iger's part.  THE POST went overnight from not being on Spielberg's schedule at all to it coming out eight months from now.  He could fast-track INDY 5 if he wanted to, so the fact that he's pushing it back at Ford's present age speaks volumes.

- Belloq87 - 04-25-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherDude View Post

Yeah, this isn't a great sign of enthusiasm on Spielberg or Iger's part.  THE POST went overnight from not being on Spielberg's schedule at all to it coming out eight months from now.  He could fast-track INDY 5 if he wanted to, so the fact that he's pushing it back at Ford's present age speaks volumes.

I hope we're wrong, because despite how much of a misfire CRYSTAL SKULL is, I really want to see another Indiana Jones movie from these guys, and I particularly want to see Spielberg playing in the crowd-pleasing blockbuster sandbox again after a string of more esoteric and/or low key - but quite good - movies.

Maybe I'll have to rely on READY PLAYER ONE to get that fix.

- fatherdude - 04-25-2017

I'm prepared to stay optimistic if it turns out they're still trying to film next year.  Otherwise I'm indulging in the conspiracy theory that this whole project was a ruse to keep Ford placated while Disney quietly waits for his next plane crash.

- Belloq87 - 04-25-2017

The only thing at this point that gives me reason to believe the movie may happen is Disney; they're not going to just sit on Indiana Jones.  In the most cynical terms, the character is a potential revenue stream Disney wants to tap into.  That will eventually entail a recasting/soft reboot, I'm certain, but they likely see value in Ford and Spielberg's final say on the character.

- boone daniels - 04-25-2017

Here's what you do:

It's the 1960s, and Indy (now with an eyepatch from an unnamed adventure) is pulled into the hunt for perhaps the greatest relic known to man (other than those of antiquity, of course): the resting place of King Arthur, and with it, the sword Excalibur. Indiana Jones is intimately familiar with the hunt, as he'd tried and failed (or so he says) to find the relic once before, when he was a much younger man. But like any good Indy movie, he's not the only one on the hunt for it - here, I'm imagining it's some Wicker Man style hippies led by a cult leader super into Celtic mythology (Academy Award nominee Michael Fassbender). Indy must retrace his steps, find what was lost, and face an uncertain future.

Searching for Excalibur/Avalon gives you plenty of discussions about mortality and the end of all things, plus, you get British mythology, which is not something this series has ever explored before. And depending on how close to the "canon" you want to play (as in Young Indiana Jones chronicles, where Indy has survived to at least the mid 1990s), you can have Indy either be recognized as a knight by the Lady of the Lake, and you end the series with him sailing off to Avalon (I'm imagining we learn in flashbacks that Indy has met the Lady once before, and she's told him "it's not his time"), or realizing he has a greater purpose still, and returns to the caves from Last Crusade (now partially rebuilt by Jordan's tourism board, IDK) to act as a protector of the grail, as is his destiny.

Additionally, if you cast it right (I've always liked Jake Johannson for it), the flashbacks allow you to soft reboot the series with a younger actor and still make it feel like you're passing the torch. It's not like Indy hasn't been played by only Harrison Ford, after all.

- Dent6084 - 04-25-2017

A friend pitched this idea today that Spielberg got into Indy because he couldn't make a Bond movie, and Indy films seem to reflect the B-movies of their time. So if this is the early 1960s, what were the B-movies? James Bond. So let Spielberg go nuts and finally create the Connery Bond-esque setpieces he always wanted to do. Bonus: get Dalton, Craig, or Brosnan as the villain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dent6084 View Post

A friend pitched this idea today that Spielberg got into Indy because he couldn't make a Bond movie, and Indy films seem to reflect the B-movies of their time. So if this is the early 1960s, what were the B-movies? James Bond. So let Spielberg go nuts and finally create the Connery Bond-esque setpieces he always wanted to do. Bonus: get Dalton, Craig, or Brosnan as the villain.

Alternatively (which is where the folklore horror I pitched above comes from), Hammer Horror.

I had a whole alternate universe post that I planned out once where Ford left after Crusade but they kept making them regularly through the present, a la Bond*, including INDIANA JONES VS. THE WITCHFINDER GENERAL. That one starred Bradley Cooper and was directed by Ben Wheatley.

I'm 33, by the way.

*Shout out to 1998's INDIANA JONES AND THE MYSTERIES OF ATLANTIS, starring Mark Wahlberg as Jones and directed by Russell Mulcahy.

- Richard Dickson - 04-25-2017

Just like I think Bond belongs in the '60s punching Commies, Indy belongs in the '30s punching Nazis.  I'd much rather see a reboot than see Ford trundling Indy into the '60s.

- Dent6084 - 04-25-2017

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boone Daniels View Post

Alternatively (which is where the folklore horror I pitched above comes from), Hammer Horror.

I had a whole alternate universe post that I planned out once where Ford left after Crusade but they kept making them regularly through the present, a la Bond*, including INDIANA JONES VS. THE WITCHFINDER GENERAL. That one starred Bradley Cooper and was directed by Ben Wheatley.

I'm 33, by the way.

*Shout out to 1998's INDIANA JONES AND THE MYSTERIES OF ATLANTIS, starring Mark Wahlberg as Jones and directed by Russell Mulcahy.

I mean, I mostly just want to see Craig/Dalton/Brosnan as an Indy villain. Any one of them would be a delight. Seriously, if Spielberg got an awake Ford, him against any of those three would be a trip.

- Belloq87 - 04-25-2017

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boone Daniels View Post

But like any good Indy movie, he's not the only one on the hunt for it - here, I'm imagining it's some Wicker Man style hippies led by a cult leader super into Celtic mythology (Academy Award nominee Michael Fassbender). Indy must retrace his steps, find what was lost, and face an uncertain future.

I just read this, but you have no idea how badly I now want to see something like it.  It's WAY too edgy for Disney, I'm sure, but Indy taking on spooky cult hippies of a Celtic flavor sounds like a really intriguing direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dent6084 View Post

I'm also on board for this, although I think X-MEN: FIRST CLASS, THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E., and even KINGSMAN (to a lesser extent) might have beaten it to the punch in terms of the Sixties Bond aesthetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Dickson View Post

Just like I think Bond belongs in the '60s punching Commies, Indy belongs in the '30s punching Nazis.  I'd much rather see a reboot than see Ford trundling Indy into the '60s.

Your point is not without merit.  I'm willing to give it a chance, though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belloq87 View Post

I just read this, but you have no idea how badly I now want to see something like it.  It's WAY too edgy for Disney, I'm sure, but Indy taking on spooky cult hippies of a Celtic flavor sounds like a really intriguing direction.

I feel like with the right touch, you could push the edge of the envelope a little. Maybe not quite Temple of Doom, but Disney's done horror stuff before (albeit to varying degrees of success).

- arjen rudd - 04-25-2017

AThere's endless permutations, certainly more than Bond has managed. This franchise is literally tailor made to be an American Bond.

- fatherdude - 04-26-2017

John Williams will be 88 when this movie is scheduled to come out.

- Belloq87 - 04-26-2017

Quote:

John Williams will be 88 when this movie is scheduled to come out.

Why did you have to bring that up?!

- carnotaur3 - 04-26-2017

INDIANA JONES

AND THE SERIOUS HANGOVER

FROM ONE MARGARITA 

- fatherdude - 07-24-2017

ABetween Spielberg being at Comic-Con for the READY PLAYER ONE panel and Harrison being there for BLADE RUNNER it was hoped that one of them would be questioned about Indy 5's status. It doesn't look like that happened, but Ford apparently talked of how much action work he was able to do on BLADE RUNNER, which is good to hear.

They need to shoot this next summer, as originally planned. Koepp was announced as screenwriter in Spring 2016. The only way two years isn't long enough to write a script for this is if it isn't actually being developed.

- bartleby_scriven - 07-24-2017

ADear gods let it not be in development.

- moltisanti - 07-24-2017

Was Shia bailed out yet? Maybe that's the holdup.

- carnotaur3 - 07-24-2017

AThere's no way The Beard would work with Shia again.

- Belloq87 - 07-24-2017

Quote:

They need to shoot this next summer, as originally planned. Koepp was announced as screenwriter in Spring 2016. The only way two years isn't long enough to write a script for this is if it isn't actually being developed.

Yep.  If this isn't shooting by this time year, I don't think it gets made.  At least with Spielberg and Ford.

- history buff - 07-24-2017

AWhich is why they should just reboot the whole thing with a younger actor playing Indy and have it set in the 1930s. As far as I'm concerned it ain't Indy if he's not going up against Nazis. I don't get why Disney and Spielberg are so against a reboot every other franchise seems to be doing it.

- commodorejohn - 07-24-2017

AThere is no Indiana Jones without Harrison Ford. End of story.

- headless fett - 07-24-2017

Agreed. They need to hit this one out of the park to make up for that 4th movie.

Quote:

Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post

There is no Indiana Jones without Harrison Ford. End of story.

Yeah, seriously. Nazis over Ford? GTFO

- Belloq87 - 07-24-2017

Quote:

Originally Posted by Headless Fett View Post

Agreed. They need to hit this one out of the park to make up for that 4th movie.

I honestly think that's the primary reason Spielberg wants to do it.

Quote:

I honestly think that's the primary reason Spielberg wants to do it.

"C'mon, Harrison, George isn't watching!"

- Belloq87 - 07-24-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnotaur3 View Post

"C'mon, Harrison, George isn't watching!"

I know Spielberg loves Lucas like a brother, but I don't think that's too far from reality.  Spielberg was far too deferential to Lucas on CRYSTAL SKULL, and didn't fight back against concepts he clearly was uninterested in.

Even so, Lucas is not the total reason CRYSTAL SKULL doesn't work; there's ample blame to be placed on Spielberg, too.

Quote:

I know Spielberg loves Lucas like a brother, but I don't think that's too far from reality.  Spielberg was far too deferential to Lucas on CRYSTAL SKULL, and didn't fight back against concepts he clearly was uninterested in.

Even so, Lucas is not the total reason CRYSTAL SKULL doesn't work; there's ample blame to be placed on Spielberg, too.

I blame Spielberg's settling... I think Spielberg made Crystal Skull for George. Just look back at interviews, Spielberg admits that he wanted Last Crusade to be it. They were all riding into the sunset. It was over. But it was Lucas who kept the fourth movie alive. Crystal Skull and The Lost World are the two movies Spielberg's heart has never quite been in.

- Belloq87 - 07-24-2017

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carnotaur3 View Post

Crystal Skull and The Lost World are the two movies Spielberg's heart has never quite been in.

I think that's mostly true, although Spielberg still somehow directed the hell out of LOST WORLD.  Can't say the same for CRYSTAL SKULL.

Quote:

I think that's mostly true, although Spielberg still somehow directed the hell out of LOST WORLD.

Spielberg had more fun in the last 25 minutes of TLW, I'd say.

- Misfit - 07-25-2017

CRYSTAL SKULL gave us a Harrison Ford who looked like he was at least starting to wake up onscreen (see his goofily happy "Marian?!" when Karen Allen makes her appearance) for the first time in at least a decade. If they want to do another where everyone's got their hearts in it, bring it on.

And no recasting. Do a sidequel about a colleague of Indy's in the 30's - 50's if you have to keep the franchise going. Cast Tom Hardy.