The Trouble City Forums
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=155331)

- boone daniels - 09-04-2017

Nah.

Gimme Indiana Jones vs. The Wicker Man.

- bartleby_scriven - 09-04-2017

Man, Druids are way overdone in pop culture. Gimme something little known, like Vietnamese myth!

- commodorejohn - 09-04-2017

ABart's granddaughter idea is the only way I'd even conditionally accept the existence of another Indy flick.

Hot damn!

- Pither - 09-04-2017

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boone Daniels View Post

Nah.

I still hold on to the sliver of hope that Spielberg could be convinced to return to the horror well.

- Stale Elvis - 09-04-2017

ANo. No more family connections in Lucasfilm movies. No more. It's a tired, worn-out plot crutch.

A[quote name="Pither" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/1300#post_4355960"]

I still hold on to the sliver of hope that Spielberg could be convinced to return to the horror well.
[/quote]

Absolutely - providing he goes practical and in-camera, otherwise nah.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stale Elvis View Post

No. No more family connections in Lucasfilm movies. No more. It's a tired, worn-out plot crutch.

You are dumb, fo real.

- Belloq87 - 09-04-2017

Quote:

All we need is an religious artefact rather than a scientific one as the maguffin, Indy to actually shoot people, blood and in-camera stunts.

Lucasfilm, call me.

Those are pretty much the boxes I'd like to see checked, too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boone Daniels View Post

Nah.

I still think this would be a great angle, but I also think it's probably too potentially dark for the Disney regime.

- Codename - 09-04-2017

Gimme the Isle of Avalon. British Secret Societies, King Arthur, the works.

- amos orange - 09-04-2017

Color me skeptical. Indiana Jones falls apart when removed from the pulpy fictional world of early 20th century exploration - it is the absolute essence of the character. When will this new one take place, in the early 70's? A world with FedEx and Elvis concerts via satellite? Think about how much smaller the planet got between 1935 and 1975.

I'm sure Spielberg and Ford have a good movie in them, but will it feel like Indiana Jones? I kind of doubt it.

- jacknifejohnny - 09-04-2017

ANot that the Holy Grail is a real thing, but I find it bothersome that Indiana Jones would go looking for something like Excalibur that is purely a work of fiction without any sort of at least debatable historicity behind it.

Excalibur would be better than a fucking haunted house movie, like Lucas wanted.

ANot every idea can be a winner, but I can sort of see what he wanted to do by placing Jones in different contexts suggested by serial adventures of the 30's. Hell, even the base idea behind KOTC has a sort of logic to it.

The long and short of it is that aging doesn't serve this character well.

I've always seen Indiana Jones as a counterpart to James Bond in that they are both larger-than-life male fantasies. An Indy who doesn't bed dames and shoot people just doesn't feel right.

A[quote name="Amos Orange" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/1300#post_4355986"]I've always seen Indiana Jones as a counterpart to James Bond in that they are both larger-than-life male fantasies. An Indy who doesn't bed dames and shoot people just doesn't feel right. 
[/quote]

Indeed. These are characters whom we do not wish to see grow past a certain age. Aging is a fact of life, not fiction. I'll watch a guy in his late 30's or 40's do the skin shimmy with a sexy Nazi femme fatale, but a man in his 70's? Cancel that.

- Reasor - 09-04-2017

AOne of KOTC's larger problems, which got overlooked at the time because we were all so viscerally repelled by Mutt, was that crystal skulls and ancient aliens aren't from the mythology or pop culture of the 1950's. The Macguffin ruins the period piece atmosphere that the movie tries to cultivate.

I don't know what kind of movies a modern Indiana Jones picture would pay homage to, if you kept the time progression and set it in the late 60's. Sean Connery's Bond pictures? Bedazzled? Quartermass? Hammer horror?

A[quote name="Reasor" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/1300#post_4355990"]One of KOTC's larger problems, which got overlooked at the time because we were all so viscerally repelled by Mutt, was that crystal skulls and ancient aliens aren't from the mythology or pop culture of the 1950's. The Macguffin ruins the period piece atmosphere that the movie tries to cultivate.

I don't know what a modern Indiana Jones picture would pay homage to, if you kept the time progression and set it in the late 60's. Sean Connery's Bond pictures? Bedazzled? Quartermass? Hammer horror?[/quote]

If we're talking late 60's or early 70's, then probably Bigfoot. 100% serious. That was the big thing then that everyone was talking about.

- Reasor - 09-04-2017

A[quote name="JacknifeJohnny" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/1300#post_4355991"]
If we're talking late 60's or early 70's, then probably Bigfoot. 100% serious.[/quote]

Yeah, if it's going to be set in North America. Absolutely.

Maybe throw some violent bikers into the mix as well. There could be a third act heel/face turn, where the bikers come to Bigfoot's and Indy's rescue in their darkest hour.

Dammit, now I'm putting way more thought into this than it merits.

HE BELONGS IN A MUSEUM is what the villain in a Bigfoot movie would say, not the hero.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Codename View Post

Gimme the Isle of Avalon. British Secret Societies, King Arthur, the works.

I had talked about this in an earlier thread, but my idea was basically to combine British folk horror and pagan mysticism with the Arthurian legend, ending with Indiana Jones sailing off to Avalon.

Or, you know, team up with New Line, get Rylance to play Tolkien, and give us INDIANA JONES AND THE ONE RING OF POWER.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny View Post

Indeed. These are characters whom we do not wish to see grow past a certain age. Aging is a fact of life, not fiction. I'll watch a guy in his late 30's or 40's do the skin shimmy with a sexy Nazi femme fatale, but a man in his 70's? Cancel that.

I think I mentioned this in the thread, but one way around this is to pick a case that has some connection to Indy's past adventures - maybe an object that he fought for, only to lose at the last second - and incorporate flashbacks/parallel storytelling with a younger actor who could then play Indy in 30s and 40s set movies.

No way they cast a Young Indy in Ford's last (ever?) movie.

I'd bet that's in the contract.

A[quote name="Amos Orange" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/1300#post_4355994"]HE BELONGS IN A MUSEUM is what the villain in a Bigfoot movie would say, not the hero.
[/quote]

I'm not up on my Native American mythology, but Sasquatch could easily be incidental to Jones looking for something else.

- analog olmos - 09-04-2017

A[quote name="Boone Daniels" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/1350#post_4355997"]
I think I mentioned this in the thread, but one way around this is to pick a case that has some connection to Indy's past adventures - maybe an object that he fought for, only to lose at the last second - and incorporate flashbacks/parallel storytelling with a younger actor who could then play Indy in 30s and 40s set movies. 
[/quote]

I always wanted Jones to get drafted to help hunt escaped Nazis in Argentina. Have the government draft him as a guide for their Nazi hunting agent and a few other tag-alongers, and have them undercover a Boys from Brazil-like plot and foil it. Have a "I thought we killed all these guys?!" moment when they find a Nazi compound.

The big reveal? Hitler escaped and has sleeper agents in British, US, and German government ready to trigger some plot. Becomes a race against time to foil Hitler once and for all.

It combines Argentina/SA locations (with a possible detour to Antarctica) with some real Nazi-hunting from history against the backdrop of the Cold War and the space race. US government doesn't want to hear it because Paperclip gave us the brains to beat the Russians to the moon.

It works.

Maybe he's looking for DB Cooper, who is retconned not to have stolen briefcase full of money, but NATIVE AMERICAN ARTIFACTS.

Bigfoot could show up in that.

- ryoken - 09-04-2017

Quote:

Originally Posted by Analog Olmos View Post

I always wanted Jones to get drafted to help hunt escaped Nazis in Argentina. Have the government draft him as a guide for their Nazi hunting agent and a few other tag-alongers, and have them undercover a Boys from Brazil-like plot and foil it. Have a "I thought we killed all these guys?!" moment when they find a Nazi compound.

The big reveal? Hitler escaped and has sleeper agents in British, US, and German government ready to trigger some plot. Becomes a race against time to foil Hitler once and for all.

It combines Argentina/SA locations (with a possible detour to Antarctica) with some real Nazi-hunting from history against the backdrop of the Cold War and the space race. US government doesn't want to hear it because Paperclip gave us the brains to beat the Russians to the moon.

It works.

I think a comic/novel already deals with this. Iron Phoenix, was it?

And if Spielberg is on board, that means no Nazis.

- barry woodward - 09-04-2017

I actually think the haunted castle idea would be a nice way to change up the formula.

A[quote name="ryoken" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/1350#post_4356011"]I think a comic/novel already deals with this. Iron Phoenix, was it?
And if Spielberg is on board, that means no Nazis.
[/quote]

Huh no kidding. What's Spielberg's reason for not using Nazis anymore? They just strike me as THE Jones villain like Spectre is to Bond. Though considering today's ugliness I can understand not wanting to give them screen time of any kind, even as the villains.

He said, basically, that the experience of SCHINDLER'S LIST was so harrowing to him personally and so crystalized the actual, physical, historical evil of the Third Reich that he no longer felt comfortable using them as, basically, comic book bad guys. It's why the Roger Rabbit sequel WORLD WAR TOON never got going - because Nazis were a big part of it, and Spielberg put the kibosh on using them.

A[quote name="Boone Daniels" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/1350#post_4356020"]He said, basically, that the experience of SCHINDLER'S LIST was so harrowing to him personally and so crystalized the actual, physical, historical evil of the Third Reich that he no longer felt comfortable using them as, basically, comic book bad guys. It's why the Roger Rabbit sequel WORLD WAR TOON never got going - because Nazis were a big part of it, and Spielberg put the kibosh on using them. 
[/quote]

Well that makes sense.

A[quote name="Analog Olmos" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/1350#post_4356018"]
Huh no kidding. What's Spielberg's reason for not using Nazis anymore? They just strike me as THE Jones villain like Spectre is to Bond. Though considering today's ugliness I can understand not wanting to give them screen time of any kind, even as the villains.[/quote]

If anything, using nazis as the bad guys today might be just what the world needs.

"Daddy, why does the baddie have the same flag that you have over your bed?"
"...er..."
"Daddy, are you a bad guy?"

- ryoken - 09-04-2017

Looking back for the Great Anime thread, I remembered Spriggan, which is a series about a secret organization that ensures powerful artifacts of the past are securd and kept outside of human hands, specially goverments.

Their take on Noah's Ark was pretty great; it was essentially a life ship, capable of creating and seeding life ona  world, and control the weather as well.

Something like that would work for a post KOTCS Indy film; a mythical artificat of such power, its actually alien to human comprehension.*

*Not necesarily extraterrestrial Alien, of course.

- ryoken - 09-04-2017

Quote:

If anything, using nazis as the bad guys today might be just what the world needs.

"Daddy, why does the baddie have the same flag that you have over your bed?"
"...er..."
"Daddy, are you a bad guy?"

Considering most of those a-holes cant admit/reconcile the fact that their fathers/grandfathers fought the Nazis, I doubt this scenario pops in real life much.

Nature versus nurture.

- barry woodward - 09-04-2017

Couldn't they just do a 70s set INDIANA JONES AND THE FATE OF ATLANTIS with a new group of villains?