The Trouble City Forums
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=155331)

- ryoken - 09-04-2017

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Woodward View Post

Couldn't they do a 70s set INDIANA JONES AND THE FATE OF ATLANTIS with a new group of villains?

I'm game, but i demand Sophia Hapgood to have a similar/close age to Indy, and be played by an older actress.

Thinking Susan Sarandon, Juliane Moore or Reene Russo.

- boone daniels - 09-04-2017

Quote:

Couldn't they just do a 70s set INDIANA JONES AND THE FATE OF ATLANTIS with a new group of villains?

No.

- Reasor - 09-04-2017

AMaybe Indy has to trap, kill, and eat Mutt in order to gain enough Wendigo power to thwart the Illinois Nazis.

- barry woodward - 09-04-2017

I just came across the first draft of Chris Columbus's INDIANA JONES AND THE MONKEY KING (dated 2/10/85). The first 15 pages are about Indy and Mac's haunted castle adventure.

- amos orange - 09-04-2017

Do they deal with Dr. Jones confronting knowledge of ghosts/afterlife?

Are there jump scares?

There are jump scares. Indy has to take on an undead Baron hold up in a castle whose been on a murdering spree. There's all kinds of ghostly hijinks and deaths. Indy gets attacked by two man-eating demon dogs and does battle with possessed suits of armor.

- bartleby_scriven - 09-04-2017

Quote:

I just came across the first draft of Chris Columbus's INDIANA JONES AND THE MONKEY KING (dated 2/10/85). The first 15 pages are about Indy and Mac's haunted castle adventure.

Mac from Crystal Skull originated in the Monkey King script?

- Stale Elvis - 09-04-2017

A[quote name="Barry Woodward" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/1350#post_4356088"]There are jump scares. Indy has to take on an undead Baron hold up in a castle whose been on a murdering spree. There's all kinds of ghostly hijinks and deaths. Indy gets attacked by two man-eating demon dogs and does battle with possessed suits of armor.
[/quote]

This sounds dreadful.

Search engine the thing and read it for yourself.

Quote:

Search engine the thing and read it for yourself.

Yeah I did, he's some random inspector named Macgowan. Nice wording there, bub.

- analog olmos - 09-04-2017

A[quote name="Amos Orange" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/1350#post_4356074"]Do they deal with Dr. Jones confronting knowledge of ghosts/afterlife?
[/quote]

Wasn't the Afterlife pretty much established as a thing in Raiders? See also: Ghosts?

Old Testament YHWH scares the shit out of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartleby_Scriven View Post

Yeah I did, he's some random inspector named Macgowan. Nice wording there, bub.

But Indy calls him Mac multiple times.

Shhh, go back to sleep, Barry.

- amos orange - 09-04-2017

Did Indy ever see the ghosts in Raiders? I know he realizes some supernatural power killed all those people, but I'm not sure if he'd know about the g-g-ghosts.

splitting hairs I know. I'd like to see Indy in college professor mode dealing with the existence of ghosts. It'd be fun.

- Jones - 09-04-2017

Were they ghosts?  I thought they were more like angels.  Anyway, not having Mutt after all they went through in the last film is problematic.  Indy needs someone to tag along after all for the audience proxy.  I'm a bit concerned over Koepp's slight lack of enthusiasm for his script.  Do they think they can bluster us with charisma and CGI through another two hour mess?

Actually, come to think of it, if you wanted to do it in the 60s or 70s, you could dovetail it with the early days of that Conjuring/Amityville Horror/Everything is Haunted time-life stuff that was all the rage.

Weren't there ghosts in FATE OF ATLANTIS? Cast Susan Sarandon as Sophia Hapgood and have Bernie Sanders cameo as one of the apparitions.

Barry. I told you in the Star Wars thread that I will pay you to stop.

That offer is still good.

I decline, in perpetuity.

- fatherdude - 09-04-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones View Post

Were they ghosts?  I thought they were more like angels.  Anyway, not having Mutt after all they went through in the last film is problematic.  Indy needs someone to tag along after all for the audience proxy.  I'm a bit concerned over Koepp's slight lack of enthusiasm for his script.  Do they think they can bluster us with charisma and CGI through another two hour mess?

The "we're mostly happy with it" line is a reference to the fact that the script is still being worked on, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos Orange View Post

I've always seen Indiana Jones as a counterpart to James Bond in that they are both larger-than-life male fantasies. An Indy who doesn't bed dames and shoot people just doesn't feel right.

Indeed. These are characters whom we do not wish to see grow past a certain age. Aging is a fact of life, not fiction. I'll watch a guy in his late 30's or 40's do the skin shimmy with a sexy Nazi femme fatale, but a man in his 70's? Cancel that.

Indy has always had a fundamental fallibility that distinguishes him from Bond and - to me - lets allowing him to age work.  If the fifth movie doesn't lean heavily into the character's mortality then they'll be missing a huge opportunity.

- MichaelM - 09-04-2017

Goddamn, I leave the house for two hours and come back and see SEVENTY new posts in this thread and think, "Did they release some kind of stealth trailer?" but nope just got splashed by more fanwank.

YOU GUYS.

- bradito - 09-04-2017

AEveryone's racing to come up with worse ideas than the filmmakers.

- chaz - 09-04-2017

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

Everyone's racing to come up with worse ideas than the filmmakers.

Indiana Jones and The Monkees vs Cthulhu

- commodorejohn - 09-04-2017

A[quote name="Chaz" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/1350#post_4356213"]Indiana Jones and The Monkees vs Cthulhu[/quote]
Fuck me if I wouldn't kinda go see that.

- MichaelM - 09-04-2017

I first read that as Indiana Jones and the Monkees of Cthulhu.

I'd watch the shit out of that.

- Reasor - 09-04-2017

AThe Monkees of Cthulhu's cover of "Auntie Grizelda" has to be heard to be believed.

- fraid uh noman - 09-04-2017

AIndiana Jones and the Garden of Paradise

Fucking EDEN man!

Indy confronting (or rather witnessing) the Angel with the Flaming Sword! That'd be a good set up for some Ark like face melting horrors for the heathen non-believers.

It's biblical. Surely SOME nefarious group would have a vested interest in it. Any takers?

- analog olmos - 09-04-2017

A[quote name="Fraid uh noman" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/1380#post_4356226"]Indiana Jones and the Garden of Paradise

Fucking EDEN man![/quote]

I'd be down for this.

So would Disney - Indy eats from the Tree of Life and.... turns into Chris Pratt. Or Bradley Cooper. Not Aiden Eirechwnchen. Maybe Barry's guy.

- commodorejohn - 09-04-2017

A[quote name="Fraid uh noman" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/1350#post_4356226"]Indy confronting (or rather witnessing) the Angel with the Flaming Sword![/quote]
...rolls his eyes, reaches for his pistol...

- noirheaven - 09-04-2017

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pither View Post

I still hold on to the sliver of hope that Spielberg could be convinced to return to the horror well.

I really want to see this happen one day, too.

If Koepp says that the people behind the film are "mostly" happy with the screenplay then I can't imagine Spielberg not having him do at least one more draft, maybe two more. I have to think Spielberg wants to nail this as a kind of mea culpa for Crystal Skull to so many fans.

Have to imagine Spielberg will work on something else in 2018 before turning his attention to this in '19, too. Maybe The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara or perhaps that Dalton Trumbo-penned screenplay about Montezuma and Cortes (Javier Bardem is not getting any younger).

I'd love to see the Boone Daniels idea of Hammer Horror/Wicker Man style villains. Would love to see a bearded Pierce Brosnan or Timothy Dalton playing the villain here. I had that idea independently and then I saw it batted about in this thread a few weeks or months ago and I thought, "Wow, some others are on the same exact page with that."  Indiana Jones dovetailing with the Bond franchise in such a way yet again just feels right.

Also, yeah, there will be no Nazis.

Let's go with pompous British wizards up to no good! Haha.

- Judas Booth - 09-04-2017

INDIANA JONES AND THE LOST CITY OF EL DORADO

INDIANA JONES AND THE FOUNTAIN OF YOUTH

INDIANA JONES AND THE SHOGUN OF THE DARK

INDIANA JONES AND THE CURSE OF THE GREAT WALL

INDIANA JONES AND THE RIDDLE OF THE SPHINX

tons of shit to do.

- fraid uh noman - 09-05-2017

AStaff of Moses

Tower of Babel

- MrSaxon - 09-05-2017

INDIANA JONES AND THE BRAIN OF HITLER

- fraid uh noman - 09-05-2017

AIndiana Jones and the Hand of Luke

- virtanen - 09-05-2017

Quote:

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny View Post

If we're talking late 60's or early 70's, then probably Bigfoot. 100% serious. That was the big thing then that everyone was talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reasor View Post

Yeah, if it's going to be set in North America. Absolutely.

Maybe throw some violent bikers into the mix as well. There could be a third act heel/face turn, where the bikers come to Bigfoot's and Indy's rescue in their darkest hour.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reasor View Post

Maybe Indy has to trap, kill, and eat Mutt in order to gain enough Wendigo power to thwart the Illinois Nazis.

This is certainly better than a "script we're mostly happy with": INDIANA JONES AND THE CHOPPER OF BIGFOOT. If I was David Koepp, right now I'd be banging my head to my keyboard.