The Trouble City Forums
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=155331)

- Stale Elvis - 09-07-2017

A[quote name="Hammerhead" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/1550#post_4358323"]Hey, hey, hey, let's save some hate for Always.
[/quote]

There isn't enough to hate. It's so beige. It's a TV movie.

- mola ram - 09-07-2017

Quote:

olid; border-width:1px; overflow:visible">Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post

Hey, hey, hey, let's save some hate for Always.

Always is similiar to the Terminal. Harmless romance movie. Not his worst, but his most forgotten.

- MichaelM - 09-07-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stale Elvis View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post

GOONIES is full of excitement, comic book adventure, memorable heroes and villains, genuine heart, the innocence of young romance and a fun soundtrack.

FTFY.

No, that's YOUNG SHERLOCK HOLMES you're thinking of.

- Belloq87 - 09-07-2017

ALWAYS is just fine.  I'll always have affection for it because it gave us one last lovely performance from Audrey Hepburn.

- Richard Dickson - 09-07-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Daniels View Post

I need to see WAR HORSE.

Oh god yes you do.  If that movie had been made in 1952 by John Ford, we'd be calling it an all-timer.  It's that kind of old-fashioned Hollywood sensibility married to a modern attitude towards war.  It's up there with A.I. and Munich as the later career Spielbergs I really think people will one day look at and say, "How the hell did we miss the boat on these?"  And yes, I know Munich and War Horse got Best Picture nominations, and they're STILL underrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belloq87 View Post

1941 is a total failure as a comedy, but the scale of the mayhem, the incredible energy behind the camera, and the first-rate cast (who ever thought we'd have Christopher Lee, Toshiro Mifune, and Slim Pickens sharing scenes?!) make it a consistently enjoyable watch.  No question it's a misfire, but an entertaining one.

The story about Spielberg sitting in on clarinet on John Williams' recording sessions because he didn't want the music to sound too good tells you all you need to know about 1941.  It's reckless enthusiam in the face of not quite being up to the task.

- MichaelM - 09-07-2017

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Dickson View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Daniels View Post

I need to see WAR HORSE.

Oh god yes you do.  If that movie had been made in 1952 by John Ford, we'd be calling it an all-timer.  It's that kind of old-fashioned Hollywood sensibility married to a modern attitude towards war.  It's up there with A.I. and Munich as the later career Spielbergs I really think people will one day look at and say, "How the hell did we miss the boat on these?"

Seconded. WAR HORSE is wrongly dismissed because of its sentimentality.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post

Seconded. WAR HORSE is wrongly dismissed because of its sentimentality.

Which is odd, because there's a pretty cruel streak running through it.  Which earns the film's sentimentality.

- Belloq87 - 09-07-2017

Quote:

And yes, I know Munich and War Horse got Best Picture nominations, and they're STILL underrated.

When everyone else was upset that CRASH beat BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN for Best Picture at the Oscars, I was upset that it beat MUNICH.  Hands down one of Spielberg's very best.  It works as a truly terrific espionage thriller, but then there's the whole added layer of complexity underneath that a person can dive into (if that person wants to!).  I absolutely love the film.

Quote:

Which is odd, because there's a pretty cruel streak running through it.  Which earns the film's sentimentality.

The way Spielberg stages some of the deaths is so incredible.  None are graphic in any way, but he finds ways to communicate the horror in a fashion that REALLY hits home.  The one with the windmill floored me when I saw it in the theater.

- draco senior - 09-07-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belloq87 View Post

When everyone else was upset that CRASH beat BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN for Best Picture at the Oscars, I was upset that it beat MUNICH.  Hands down one of Spielberg's very best.  It works as a truly terrific espionage thriller, but then there's the whole added layer of complexity underneath that a person can dive into (if that person wants to!).  I absolutely love the film.

The way Spielberg stages some of the deaths is so incredible.  None are graphic in any way, but he finds ways to communicate the horror in a fashion that REALLY hits home.  The one with the windmill floored me when I saw it in the theater.

One of the standout moments for me is when the British cavalry charges the Germans and the riderless horses jump over the barricades. Masterfully done. That final look of fear and determination in the face of certain death shown by Tom Hiddleston's character, one of the film's thoroughly decent men who care for the horse, just destroys me.

The British and German soldiers leaving their posts to free Joey from the barbed wire is also a classic. God, I love that film.

- Belloq87 - 09-07-2017

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draco Senior View Post

One of the standout moments for me is when the British cavalry charges the Germans and the riderless horses jump over the barricades. Masterfully done.

That's a brilliant sequence.

- amos orange - 09-07-2017

Count me among the 90's kids absolutely blinded by nostalgia for HOOK. I had no idea people thought it was a bad movie until I started hanging out with you assholes.

I think back on the movie and I remember the huge colorful sets, Dustin Hoffman disappearing into his role, and Julia Roberts making my 8-year-old self feel a certain kind of way.

- bartleby_scriven - 09-07-2017

AHook?
It's fine.

- malmordo - 09-07-2017

Quote:

It's up there with A.I. and Munich as the later career Spielbergs I really think people will one day look at and say, "How the hell did we miss the boat on these?"  And yes, I know Munich and War Horse got Best Picture nominations, and they're STILL underrated.

I wanted to love MUNICH but felt let down by Spielberg's take on that material, which is unsubtle and heavy-handed.

People think it's great, though.

The main problem I have with Hook is similar to the complaints about Crystal Skull -- it just screams sound stage and matte paintings.  It's manufactured wonder that never once feels organic or, well, wondrous.  And there's the germ of a good story there, one that parallels Spielbergs career up to that point -- the child hero struggling with the idea of becoming an adult -- but I thought giving Peter kids makes his eventual decision all but made from the get-go, so there's no real drama there.

I mean, if anything is going to have a stagey feel, shouldn't it be Neverland? I always took that as a deliberate aesthetic choice, to be honest.

There are ways to pull that off without making it look so ugly though.

- arjen rudd - 09-07-2017

Of course it's deliberate. It's just bad and ugly.

As to worst Spielberg, I think 1941 is probably it, just as a failure of filmmaking. But Hook is the most obnoxious, and KOTCS the most disappointing.

- Dent6084 - 09-07-2017

Quote:

Oh god yes you do.  If that movie had been made in 1952 by John Ford, we'd be calling it an all-timer.  It's that kind of old-fashioned Hollywood sensibility married to a modern attitude towards war.  It's up there with A.I. and Munich as the later career Spielbergs I really think people will one day look at and say, "How the hell did we miss the boat on these?"  And yes, I know Munich and War Horse got Best Picture nominations, and they're STILL underrated.

The story about Spielberg sitting in on clarinet on John Williams' recording sessions because he didn't want the music to sound too good tells you all you need to know about 1941.  It's reckless enthusiam in the face of not quite being up to the task.

Certainly true of "not quite being up to the task" of making the music not too good. I mean...

It's genuinely one of the best comedy scores, IMO. Spielberg may not have gotten the right tone for the film, but Williams sure did.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjen Rudd View Post

As to worst Spielberg, I think 1941 is probably it, just as a failure of filmmaking.

But even here, there are bravura moments.  That jitterbug scene is fantastic, and what I always point to when I say Spielberg should do a musical.  And the miniature work is amazing.

Dustin Hoffman is great too. It's played for laughs, but I love the scene where Hook starts to contemplate suicide (and manipulates Smee into talking him out of it).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draco Senior View Post

Dustin Hoffman is great too. It's played for laughs, but I love the scene where Hook starts to contemplate suicide (and manipulates Smee into talking him out of it).

His "Let me have my dignity" is the best moment in the entire film.

All his movies have something in them.

- mola ram - 09-07-2017

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjen Rudd View Post

As to worst Spielberg, I think 1941 is probably it, just as a failure of filmmaking. But Hook is the most obnoxious, and KOTCS the most disappointing.

See that's it. KOTCS is a disappointment (especially after the 19 year wait) but I don't think that makes it bad. It's still fairly watchable and enjoyable.

I'm just curious, when was the last time yall watched Crystal Skull?

Never seen 1941, Amistad, War Horse or the BFG. Don't really feel a burning desire to change that.

- commodorejohn - 09-07-2017

A[quote name="Mola Ram" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/1550#post_4358437"]I'm just curious, when was the last time yall watched Crystal Skull?[/quote]
When the Rifftrax came out.

- fatherdude - 09-07-2017

AIsn't there some story that Stanley Kubrick liked 1941, but said it wasn't a comedy?

- Reasor - 09-07-2017

A[quote name="Mola Ram" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/1550#post_4358437"]I'm just curious, when was the last time yall watched Crystal Skull?[/quote]

During its opening weekend in theaters.

1941 was on heavy rotation on HBO at some point in the early 80's, and I remember liking the antics of Akroyd and Belushi in it then, but I wouldn't bet on it holding up if I were to see it now.

- mola ram - 09-07-2017

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bartleby_Scriven View Post

Never seen 1941, Amistad, War Horse or the BFG. Don't really feel a burning desire to change that.

BFG is okay. It's on netflix. It's really slow paced (especially for a kids movie) and the script feels underwritten, but the visuals are quite nice and Mark Rylance is wonderful in it.

Okay ain't gonna cut it.

A[quote name="FatherDude" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/1600#post_4358442"]Isn't there some story that Stanley Kubrick liked 1941, but said it wasn't a comedy?[/quote]

He said Spielberg fucked up the movie by making it a comedy. Fair read, probably.

- Stale Elvis - 09-07-2017

ABFG feels like it could have been directed by anyone. Same with Bridge of Spies.

- MichaelM - 09-07-2017

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bartleby_Scriven View Post

See WAR HORSE or GTF.

Also, HOOK? So bad.

- commodorejohn - 09-07-2017

AI never saw Hook because really, when you have Muppet Treasure Island, what more '90s kids' pirate movie do you need?

I've never seen War Horse, but I like to imagine that it's the darker and edgier sequel to Seabiscuit.

AWar Horse seems to be the only one consistently praised. I'll get around to it.

- fatherdude - 09-07-2017

Quote:

Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post

I never saw Hook because really, when you have Muppet Treasure Island, what more '90s kids' pirate movie do you need?

Tim Curry remains the definitive Long John Silver.