The Trouble City Forums
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=155331)

- ravi - 09-07-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stale Elvis View Post

And I've never understood the hate for The Lost World - apart from the embarrassing gymnastic stunt which was telegraphed 20 minutes in, it's a great fun rollercoaster.

My issues with it:

1.) The lame retconning that there was a Site B the whole time.

2.) Making Ian Malcolm the main character. Goldblum was great in the original, but he worked better as a side character. It doesn't help that most of his dialogues in this film consist of quipping some variation of "we're in danger" or "someone's every angry".

3.) The supporting characters aren't as memorable as John Hammond, Denis Nedry, Ellie Sattler, Muldoon, etc. from the original.

4.) Vince Vaughn's character is one of the supposed "good" guys, yet ends up causing a bunch of destruction in the process.

There's certainly things to enjoy like Pete Postlethwaite, the dino action bits and the variety of new dinos, but for me, LW doesn't equal the original due to those flaws.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatherDude View Post

Tim Curry remains the definitive Long John Silver.

Curry's great. But also check out Starz's Black Sails as Luke Arnold does a great job as a younger version of the character.

- mola ram - 09-07-2017

Ian Malcom in TLW feels like a completely different character from the first. Just totally sucked out his personality and the fun

- Jones - 09-07-2017

TLW works when it's a rescue movie, but once it turns into the team just running around the island all the momentum drops away.

- fatherdude - 09-07-2017

I don't recall THE LOST WORLD having pacing problems, but thematically it's completely bonkers.

We should not overlook the David-Koepp-getting-eaten factor in the final calculus:

- bartleby_scriven - 09-07-2017

Fuck it, RANKING!!!

Jaws

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Jurassic Park

Poltergeist (yep)

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

ET

Saving Private Ryan

Temple of Doom

The Last Crusade

Schlinder's List

Lincoln

Minority Report

Catch Me If You Can

The Lost World

The Color Purple

Always

Hook

A.I.

Bridge of Spies

Munich

Empire of the Sun

The Terminal

War of the Worlds

Sugarland Express

The Adventures of Tintin

Twilight Zone: The Movie, "Kick the Can"

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Haven't seen: 1941, Amistad, War Horse, The BFG

DID I MISS ANYTHING?!?!?!

- mola ram - 09-07-2017

Yall need to watch TLW again. It's easily the most boring and dull piece of film Spielberg has ever made (and I'm a huge fan of the Berg).

Certain scenes just go and on and by the time the T-rex gets to the island I'm already asleep. You don't root for any of the characters either.

- amos orange - 09-07-2017

I've never gotten around to watching Schindler's List.

I was young when it came out and dare I say I've never quite been in the mood for the experience it offers.

- mola ram - 09-07-2017

I'll do a ranking as well (I just finished a Spielberg marathon recently).

Masterpiece:

1. Jaws

2. Raiders of the Lost Ark

3. E.T. The Extra Terrestrial

4. Schindler's List

5. Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Great/Good:

6. Saving Private Ryan

7. Jurassic Park

8. A.I. Artifical Intelligence

9. Munich

10. Minority Report

11. Temple of Doom

12. Catch me if you Can

13. Last Crusade

14. War of the Worlds

15. Lincoln

16. Duel

17. Empire of the Sun

18. Poltergiest (It's a Spielberg film, don't try to tell me otherwise)

19. The Adventures of Tintin

20. Bridge of Spies

21. The Color Purple

22. War Horse

23. The Sugerland Express

Decent/Okay:

23. Amistad

24. The Terminal

25. The BFG

26. Always

27. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Bad:

28. Hook

29. 1941

30. The Lost World: Jurassic Park

- hammerhead - 09-07-2017

I like The BFG. It balances sentiment and silliness just right. It's really easy to take Dahl too far in either direction.

And I doubt any other director could keep all the balls in the air as deftly as Spielberg does on Bridge of Spies. There's a lot to set up but it never feels like setup.

- boone daniels - 09-07-2017

There are huge gaps in my Spielberg output - I still haven't seen Color Purple, Sugarland, Terminal, War of the Worlds, for example. So here's a top ten:

1. Raiders
  2. Jaws
  3. Schindler
  4. Lincoln
  5. Ryan
  6. Munich
  7. A.I.
  8. Catch Me If You Can
  9.  Empire of the Sun
  10. Close Encounters

Honorable mentions: ET, Bridge of Spies, Last Crusade.

But I think Raiders is what I would put as my number 1. The one that had the most impact on me when I saw it for the first time was AI, though. My mom died when I was about David's "age," and I had no idea what to expect. That whole "one more day" sequence left me sobbing in my chair. I was a fucking mess.

- mondguy - 09-07-2017

AHook better than Empire of the Sun?

[Image: 800]

B52, Cadillac of the Skies! is an all-time Spielberg sequence.

AEmpire of the Sun?
Kind of boring.

Bort's take on Empire of the Sun?

Ehhhhhhhhh.

ABaby Christian Bale?
Got a weird face.

- fraid uh noman - 09-07-2017

AI think TLW is a blast (but that's a different argument....everyone has their opinions). I think it's so much better than Hook and Crystal Skull that it's almost comical.

The Lost World DOES however have some of the strangest....circumstances...gaffes. Outright fuck ups (?) that are unlike any thing I've seen in any other film.

The first is the flaming vehicle flying what looks to be a about a hundred feet in the air to almost crush Roland and RJ in the tree. I've never understood that wrecked vehicle covering that kind of distance. Was that just from an explosion caused by Vaughn releasing the animals? It's just weird.

Secondly is Peter Stormare's death. He wanders away from a group of like 50 people to take a piss. But then gets so turned around that he can't find the group again? He's yelling for them and no one hears him? How in the hell could he have gotten that far away and that lost? Also very strange.

And the last is how Vince Vaughn exits the film. He's just gone. As soon as they leave the island that's it...,no more Nick. There's also a weird time jump there. I've never understood how much time is supposed to have passed between when they all escape the island and when the ghost ship crashes. The editing makes it feel immediate but it's obviously not. 12 hours later? A day? Longer?

- mola ram - 09-07-2017

Empire of the Sun is also Bale's first role. So Spielberg can take pride that he found such a great actor.

AYeah but dat weird face.

- Richard Dickson - 09-07-2017

Since all the cool kids are doing it...

Saving Private Ryan

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Jaws

E.T.

Schindler's List

Jurassic Park

A.I.

Munich

Empire of the Sun

Lincoln

The Color Purple

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Catch Me If You Can

War of the Worlds

War Horse

Amistad

Minority Report

The Adventures of Tintin

The Lost World: Jurassic Park

The Terminal

The Sugarland Express

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Always

The BFG

"Kick the Can"

Hook

From War Horse on up, there's not a lot of light between those entries.

- Richard Dickson - 09-07-2017

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boone Daniels View Post

B52, Cadillac of the Skies! is an all-time Spielberg sequence.

[pushes glasses up nose] P-51, actually.  Although watching that sequence with B-52s would certainly be something...

- turingmachine75 - 09-07-2017

AJaws/CE3K
AI/Empire
Indy Trilogy/Jurassic Park/Ryan/List

The rest

- mola ram - 09-07-2017

War of the Worlds is also my favorite alien invasion movie and criminally underrated. One of the best post 9/11 films "about" 9/11 and especially interesting as a meta-film regarding terror and escapism. The first hour has some of Spielberg's best directing he's ever done (probably behind SPR).

There's no other PG13 film that's made my heart pump in fear quite like War of the Worlds did in the cinema on opening night.

Just this fantastic sense of dread.

AAI is like the most maudlin point-and-click adventure game of all time.

AA.I. is a fucking great movie. Obscenely gorgeous and if it hadn't been for Fellowship it woulda been the best movie of it's year..

- Dent6084 - 09-07-2017

Jaws

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Schindler's List

Lincoln

Munich

A.I.

ET The Extraterrestrial

Minority Report

Saving Private Ryan

Catch Me If You Can

Jurassic Park

Empire of the Sun

Bridge of Spies

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

The Adventures of Tintin

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

War of the Worlds

The BFG

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

The Lost World: Jurassic Park

The Lost World is the only one I genuinely dislike, even with the trailer sequence and Postlewaite giving it his all. Seen but unranked: The "Columbo" Pilot. It's good, though!

A[quote name="Fraid uh noman" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/1600#post_4358548"]A.I. is a fucking great movie. Obscenely gorgeous and if it hadn't been for Fellowship it woulda been the best movie of it's year..[/quote]

I love ya, Fraid.

But no.

- carnotaur3 - 09-07-2017

Nothing stops a thread cold like Ranking.

ASo....by implication you consider STID better than A.I.

- turingmachine75 - 09-07-2017

AFellowship is the first 1/3 of a great movie. AI was the best to come out that year.

A[quote name="Fraid uh noman" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/1600#post_4358553"]So....by implication you consider STID better than A.I.[/quote]

You know what's going to happen here.

You wanted this.

AOi..

- mondguy - 09-07-2017

AI'm not seeing 'Duel' show up on many of these lists.

AI think a lot of folks don't count it cause it's TV. Duel is a top ten Spielberg for sure though..

AI wasn't going to count it because it's a TV movie (released in theaters overseas or whatever), but I'd slot it in between Schlindler's List and Star Trek into Darkness.

AThat post had to have evoked some form of demon..