The Trouble City Forums
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=155331)

- fatherdude - 09-09-2017

AWhen it comes to the natives, I'm less bothered by logic and more about how the hell they didn't come up with a fun scene where the heroes have to plot an escape after being captured by them. Just having the natives being cowed by the sight of the skull was an epic waste, the film's M.O.

- carnotaur3 - 09-09-2017

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatherDude View Post

When it comes to the natives, I'm less bothered by logic and more about how the hell they didn't come up with a fun scene where the heroes have to plot an escape after being captured by them. Just having the natives being cowed by the sight of the skull was an epic waste.

Especially after it was built up in the trailer. I remember thinking that would be one hell of a scene.

Then the movie happened.

- engineer - 09-09-2017

Other ways KINGDOM dropped the ball...

1. Giving us a Marion is captured in a tent scene (like in Raiders) without having a callback to her being able to drink herself out of it.  She was a tough chick.  Show us she still is.

2. Giving us a villain (Spalko) who's supposedly a psychic and not following through on it.  I get they're probably making fun of the concept, but this is a series with Lost Arks, Sankara Stones and Healing Chalices...  Why not embrace the mystical and make her a real psychic and have her fight Indy?  Indy can't make a move because she knows every move he's going to make before he makes it.  Perfect countering.  Then while she's concentrating on his thoughts, Marion clocks her one.

3. Giving Indy a son, introducing him as Brando in The Wild One and then not sticking with that.  Make him a brawler.  A mechanic.  Give him a reason to bring his damn motorcycle with him.

4. Filming an Indy film on sets, with CGI and composting instead of going on location around the world.

5. Waterfalls.  Why did it have to be waterfalls?

- avian - 09-09-2017

https://georgettekaplan.tumblr.com/post/164313105210/why-did-indiana-jones-and-the-kingdom-of-the

- fatherdude - 09-12-2017

Episode IX being pushed back could be good news for Indy 5.  It makes a lot more sense to slot this back to Summer 2019, which was the original idea.

- Belloq87 - 09-12-2017

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatherDude View Post

Episode IX being pushed back could be good news for Indy 5.  It makes a lot more sense to slot this back to Summer 2019, which was the original idea.

That depends on if Spielberg wants to have one less year to work on it.  He works fast, and could certainly pull it off, but slicing a year off the schedule will require them to kick things into high gear pretty quickly.

- noirheaven - 09-12-2017

I personally would rather get The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara, Montezuma, even It's What I Do or something else altogether first in 2018. If Koepp says that the principals are "mostly" happy with the screenplay that sounds like it needs at least another draft. Indy 5 can wait to shoot in late spring 2019. But then I'm hardly the typical person out there, I'm sure.

- fatherdude - 09-13-2017

AEdgardo Mortara strikes me as a less time sensitive project, especially if Spielberg hasn't filled the gap in the casting that stalled the project in the first place.

The fact that Koepp wishes this to be the Beard's next project implies that he believes whatever work remains on the script is doable by shooting. Summer 2018 is nine months away from now, after all, and over two years after he was hired to write the movie.

- noirheaven - 09-13-2017

I guess it just shows that I don't really care that much about this project. Haha. If Spielberg commits to making this next I hope we get an announcement that he'll be turning around and making whatever next almost immediately afterward, kind of like how The BFG started shooting only three or so months after Bridge of Spies wrapped principal photography. But yeah, whatever. If Disney can nail down Memorial Day weekend 2019 for this, why not, I guess?

That said, I wish Spielberg would get behind the wheel of Montezuma before too much longer. Harrison Ford's going to be ancient in the next "Indy" adventure whether it shoots in '18 or '19 but Javier Bardem is becoming increasingly old to play an historically-correct Cortes.

AIt would not surprise me at all if Spielberg shoots Indy 5 and Mortara back to back and releases them both in the same year. On the other hand, he may be due for a break.

He can take a daylong nap in February. Wink Haha.

But yes, I'm sure you're right that he'll be looking to score another twofer in all likelihood. Also I'm sure Warner Bros. will be trying to get It's What I Do off the ground before too much longer.

- carnotaur3 - 09-13-2017

AThe interesting thing about Ford is no matter how old he's looking in a BTS photo, the moment he slips on a fedora, the jacket and bullwhip, he's still that vulnerable Indy.

Watching him in Bladerunner 2049 trailer saying "We were being hunted!" The guy has still got the energy for this.

I pretty much agree, but I'm still more confident he'll have that energy nine months from now than 18 months from now.

I'd rather have the best possible screenplay, delaying things a year or no--of course, one could argue that that would perhaps preclude David Koepp from writing it.

Harrison Ford just needs to avoid flying planes and getting stuck in New York City traffic while trying to cross a busy street, haha.

I'm sure that between postproduction work on The Post and Ready Player One Spielberg's surveying the various projects in development and others being pitched to him. If he, Ford and Lucasfilm agree that Indy 5 is ready to go, maybe it's shooting in eight or nine months ahead of everything else on his plate.

I don't think moving the date to 2020 had anything to do with giving the project more scriptwriting time.  I think it was just a scheduling shuffle on Disney's part.  Spielberg had previously said he intended to shoot in summer '18, and now we have Koepp saying that it could be Spielberg's next film.  Since these are the two guys writing the script, their ideas of when production could commence is a reasonable way to extrapolate the screenplay's progress.

Don't get me wrong, I want a script that's as polished as possible as well, but Koepp got hired March 2016.  That's two plus years before the soonest possible start date.  The only way any script should take longer than that is if there are issues more fundamental than a level of polish, and instead we have Koepp talking positively about it.  The reason CRYSTAL SKULL took as long as it did was because they kept throwing scripts out and starting over.

I think you're on to something. I guess at this point all we can do is wait out the early fall and hope to hear more from Spielberg/Koepp/Ford/Lucasfilm/Disney by wintertime. One thing's for sure, Spielberg, at the very least, will be asked about it whenever he does any press for either The Post or Ready Player One, so worst case scenario, we should at least know where things are headed and the speed by which they are heading there at some point in the next several months.

Oh, and of course it'll probably come up at some point for Harrison Ford in the next few weeks as Blade Runner 2049 comes out.

- Overlord - 09-13-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraid uh noman View Post

Why am I feeling this insane urge to give Crystal Skull a very serious rewatch? I'm just courting pain and sadness. I doubt that the decade since I've seen it has helped it to not look just like a bunch of cut scenes from an Indy PS2 game edited into something resembling a film..

My son was bugging me to watch it.  I finally gave in.  He didn't like it.  I had to leave the room for many parts.  The entire script feels like it was written by someone who either never actually saw any of the Indy films or had no idea of the actual structure followed by Indy films.

The one part of the film I liked was the diner sequence and ensuing chase.  A little bit of the old magic, with the best characterization Shia received in the movie.  And then it was fucking ruined by an absolutely idiotic "crash into the dead actor's statue" sight gag.

- huntertarantino - 09-13-2017

ADisney has Aladdin already lined up as their Memorial Day 2019 release and The Lion King for July. I can't see them shuffling those for Indy, but Tim Burton's Dumbo is set for March.

In other words, if this is heating up, they might want to swap Indy 5 into summer so audiences don't overdose on live action remixes of their own movies. One every two months is insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlord View Post

And then it was fucking ruined by an absolutely idiotic "crash into the dead actor's statue" sight gag.

What's weird about that is it's the third reminder of Marcus within like a 15 minute period.  They show a big portrait of him the college hallway, which struck me as tasteful, then they mention him again during the Show Portraits Of Dead Characters On Indy's Desk scene, then there's the statue gag.

Superb new interview with Ford.  The relevant portion:

Quote:

Late careers in Hollywood can be difficult, but Ford's has been elevated by a procession of his most iconic roles sweeping back into his life. “You know,” he begins, trying to find the appropriate level of ebullience, “it's…better than bowling.”

Blade Runner is just one example. The Indiana Jones franchise spluttered awake in 2008, with an older Jones finding new trouble in the postwar years, and a new Indiana Jones film is percolating. In fact, right at this very moment, as we sit here in his Santa Monica aircraft hangar, Ford's phone beeps with a text message telling him the new script is ready for him to read. He hopes it might happen in the second half of next year.

I ask him what this new Indiana Jones movie will need to be in order to have him fully engaged.

“Funded,” he replies.

So Ford is hoping for a second-half-of-2018 shoot?

Interesting.

The screenplay is ready for him to read! Yay...

Thanks for sharing that, FatherDude. Looks like I was perhaps overestimating how long we'd have to wait to find out a lot more.

I suspect we won't be getting anything juicy until at least the READY PLAYER ONE press junket, but it's nice to know it's something being focused on.

- Overlord - 09-13-2017

Whatever they do, I hope they use the modern de-aging technique to give us an opening scene with a younger looking Ford.  Just something to clear the air after the abominable opening of KotCS.

It would be so Spielberg for him to speedily get through Edgardo Mortara--which, by its nature, should not require much in the way of postproduction work--this upcoming late winter/spring before moving on to Indy 5 in the late summer for a second-half-of-'18 shoot. Or maybe with postproduction work on The Post and Ready Player One he'll be too busy to jump into anything until next summer anyway.

- mola ram - 09-14-2017

I'm really looking foward to Mortara, Spielberg and Kusner make a great combo. Plus he's tackling jewish themes again.

Munich was the last time Spielberg felt dangerous and bold in his directing.

- noirheaven - 09-14-2017

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mola Ram View Post

I'm really looking foward to Mortara, Spielberg and Kusner make a great combo. Plus he's tackling jewish themes again.

Munich was the last time Spielberg felt dangerous and bold in his directing.

Spielberg wading back into Jewish themes has serious potential because it's so personal for him. His "Jewish" outings are special and his "Kushner" outings are special so it would seem to have all of the potential in the world. Have heard that the screenplay is superlative.

- noirheaven - 09-25-2017

Every Indiana Jones adventure has to have him trusting someone he should never trust, even if only momentarily. My vote for the actor to play that part in this one is Tim Blake Nelson! Love his work and Spielberg must dig him having employed him twice over in Minority Report and Lincoln. Watched Tommy Lee Jones's The Homesman and Nelson has a plum little role as a no-good drifter. Would love to see Nelson get the drop on Indy just when our hero thought he was safe.

- brucel - 09-25-2017

Quote:

Late careers in Hollywood can be difficult, but Ford's has been elevated by a procession of his most iconic roles sweeping back into his life. “You know,” he begins, trying to find the appropriate level of ebullience, “it's…better than bowling.”

You pretty much know that if you're tired of being Harrison Ford reprising Han Solo, Rick Deckard, and Indiana Jones, then you're tired of life.

- Stale Elvis - 09-25-2017

AWas Rick Dekard that much of a character though? I’ll be honest and say that Blade Runner bores me to tears so maybe I’m not in a position to judge too hyper-critically, but Ford just seems to be playing Ford in that role - grumbling and mumbling his way through the script.

- Overlord - 09-25-2017

wrong thread.

- cd underbelly - 09-25-2017

ABlade Runner is so bad you guys. Replolicants.

Replicunts?

- bartleby_scriven - 09-25-2017

ABlade Runner?

The best.

- MichaelM - 09-25-2017

CD, are you a Repli-CAN or a Repli-CAN'T?

- user_32 - 09-25-2017

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overlord View Post

Whatever they do, I hope they use the modern de-aging technique to give us an opening scene with a younger looking Ford.

I've got your perfect Indiana Jones 5 opening right here!

- filmnerdjamie - 09-25-2017

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post

CD, are you a Repli-CAN or a Repli-CAN'T?