The Trouble City Forums
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=155331)

- hammerhead - 10-19-2017

Bridge of Spies is solid stuff. I found it refreshing to watch a current movie where I could feel that the director was in total control of the material.

- first class 782 - 10-19-2017

ALincoln is a stone cold classic, with a script as good as anything Steven Spielberg ever directed. Bridge of Spies is an old school drama, with some sweet Coen Bros zings by Hanks. Both are exceptionally well put together affairs.

I do think Lincoln is top 5 Spielberg.

And I also believe he was totally phoning in Crystal Skull, a first for him.

- MichaelM - 10-19-2017

Overlord's shitting on LINCOLN?

Good day to you, sir. I SAID GOOD DAY.

- arjen rudd - 10-20-2017

Lincoln is wonderful!

There's no way you can't call Lost World his laziest film though. Even more so than Crystal Skull. It's a very proficient lazy, but it's about as ambitious as your average Mummy sequel.

- noirheaven - 10-20-2017

Lincoln is a masterpiece with one masterly-written scene after another, and Spielberg opts to keep the cinematic flourishes a touch subdued with the writing and acting at the forefront but give the film another look or two and you'll find that it's expertly pieced together and directed.

Bridge of Spies is phenomenal as well.

Even The BFG, which seems intentionally doughy, as though it's a children's film made by Antonioni or something, has a fair number of exquisitely-blocked and -directed scenes.

Also wasn't Ready Player One already fairly deep into postproduction, having wrapped principal photography, a good six months or so before Spielberg hopped aboard The Post? Would seem to be standard operating procedure for him to communicate via teleconferencing on that film's postproduction.

- fatherdude - 10-20-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belloq87 View Post

I do think some of that may have been rubbed off from Lucas.  I could easily envision Lucas saying something like, "You know, Steven, you really don't have to go through all the trouble of a location shoot.  We can make anywhere we want look like anywhere we need."

According to Lucas, shooting internationally would actually have been cheaper, and Spielberg made the call to stay domestic at extra expense.  However, Lucas may have simply been talking about shooting in UK or Australian soundstages versus Los Angeles soundstages, so it probably would have made no difference in terms of what the movie looks like.

- mola ram - 10-21-2017

I swear The Lost World sometimes gets a nostalgia pass. It's 10 times dumber than Crystall Skull, and 20 times as boring.

- mola ram - 10-21-2017

Also Tintin is an amazing film and a love letter to the Herge comics.

- bluelouboyle - 10-22-2017

AYes. Damn shame there won't be a TINTIN sequel. Doubt it would be as bloated and dull as FIVE ARMIES, as Jackson would be using the comics.

- noirheaven - 10-22-2017

Not to hijack the thread, but why isn't there going to be a Tintin sequel? The first film underperformed in the U.S. but did well enough in Europe to seem to make the idea more than feasible.

Also, what is Peter Jackson up to these days? Or did the experience of The Hobbit trilogy make him a nervous wreck who hates his former passion, cinema? Because I'd believe that, sad as it is to say.

- bluelouboyle - 10-22-2017

AHe said he wants to direct a smaller film next. Don't blame him.

TINTIN was released before the China boom. Maybe if it was released now it would get a sequel.

Probably not based on THE BLUE LOTUS though.

- fatherdude - 10-22-2017

A[quote name="Mola Ram" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/1800#post_4387801"]I swear The Lost World sometimes gets a nostalgia pass. It's 10 times dumber than Crystall Skull, and 20 times as boring.
[/quote]

THE LOST WORLD at least has the set pieces and a sense of danger.

- fraid uh noman - 10-22-2017

A[quote name="FatherDude" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/1830#post_4387914"]
THE LOST WORLD at least has the set pieces and a sense of danger.[/quote]
I will never understand any preference for Crystal Skull over The Lost World. And that's not a sense of nostalgia....it genuinely was my favorite movie that summer and blew me away. I was only 15, almost 16 but still....I don't get nostalgic for 1997. It wasn't long enough ago. Hell, I like Jurassic World better than Crystal Skull too so, what do I know?

- rexbanner - 10-22-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherDude View Post

My personal favorite is the establishing shot of Marshall College.  The footage is lifted directly from RAIDERS, but it's been digitally manipulated to a) fit into Kaminski's terrible color grading scheme for the rest of the movie, and b) replace the 1930s-era cars with digital 1950s cars.

Crystal Skull is the film that made me properly notice colour grading - it's shocking how terrible it is in that film: it makes the film look totally different from its predecessors; it desaturates a lot of potentially beautiful locations; it makes everyone look orange; and - as with most instances of heavy colour grading, makes the digital effects conspicuous.

Neither of these frames looks photorealistic, but one looks atmospheric and sharp, whereas the other looks like grey shite.

Crusade's climax: few primary colours, but everything pops, and the image is sharp. You get a sense of the location. Skull's climax: it's impossible to tell if the environment is CGI or not, since all the edges are blurry and there's little detail to be seen in the sky. Everyone has an inhuman skin tone, and - I don't know the technical term for colour palettes - the colours aren't just desaturated, but also off key.

Folk like to slag off CGI - not me: I think its benefits have vastly outweighed the sloppy laziness it can encourage; but I cannot think of any film that has benefited from today's practice of colour grading every image all the damn time (Mad Max being the exception which proves the rule).

- Belloq87 - 10-22-2017

Quote:

Originally Posted by RexBanner View Post

This comparison really says it all.  When Kaminski says he "studied" Douglas Slocombe's lighting style, I have to believe he was just paying lip service.  Slocombe's Indy films look like crisp, engaging epics.  Kaminski's looks like the work of a guy who has no idea how to pull that off.

AIt's the same pee-ish yellow that Spectre is!

- Belloq87 - 10-22-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraid uh noman View Post

It's the same pee-ish yellow that Spectre is!

At least SPECTRE is crisp and defined, though.  CRYSTAL SKULL's daylight looks perpetually blown out beyond all reason.

- bartleby_scriven - 10-22-2017

uuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnggggghhhhhh stop talking about Crystal Skull.

STOP

- call me roy - 10-22-2017

AHappy to know I will never have any desire to watch Crystal Skull... and that was even BEFORE this thread.

- MichaelM - 10-22-2017

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fraid uh noman View Post

I will never understand any preference for Crystal Skull over The Lost World.

Same. TLW is deeply flawed but its pieces remain incredibly enjoyable. (I'd contend that without the ridiculous gymnastics scene the film as a whole would be held more highly by us film nerds).

Plus it has Goldblum in full Goldblum mode. "Mommy's very angry."

AI like the rest of it enough that I can forgive the gymnastics bit. That really is one weirdly out of place "huh??" moment. I guess they felt that Malcolm's daughter had to one-up Lex and "hacking" or something..

AI think TLW is definitely more enjoyable to those who have never read the book or read the book AFTER, which is what I should have done.

The “rescue mission” vibe of the book was more enjoyable, 3 bad guys (one of them Dodgson from JP) attempting to acquire dna samples while Malcolm a few kids and a badass trailer attempt to bring back a millionaire asshole.

- MichaelM - 10-22-2017

I've read the book, but only once, and it was prior to the film's release. I don't remember that much about it, other than the movie diverges pretty widely from it.

My favorite bit of The Lost World novel is how Malcolm is declared dead at the end of Jurassic Park, but is resurrected because Crichton was basically writing a sequel so it could be turned into a movie.

- MichaelM - 10-22-2017

Completely spaced that Malcolm dies in Jurassic Park (the novel).

- malmordo - 10-22-2017

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bartleby_Scriven View Post

because Crichton was basically writing a sequel so it could be turned into a movie.

Some of Crichton's later novels -- Airframe, for example -- look like screenplays with the scene headings removed.

I mean, authors had done similar things before. After the movie came out, David Morrell added, I believe, a foreword or afterword to First Blood that explained how Rambo had lived (he dies in the book) and then wrote the novelization of Rambo: First Blood Part II like a sequel to his own novel.

AI like how Spielberg took like, 3 parts of the book then transmogrified it into something else completely. Crichton didn’t even need the book written, other than to make his own money. Call Spielberg on the phone, collect the check.

- rexbanner - 10-22-2017

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belloq87 View Post

This comparison really says it all.  When Kaminski says he "studied" Douglas Slocombe's lighting style, I have to believe he was just paying lip service.  Slocombe's Indy films look like crisp, engaging epics.  Kaminski's looks like the work of a guy who has no idea how to pull that off.

Yeah, I remember that being a specific thing that allayed some of my doubts after the first trailer. If he studied it, I imagine it was like with Apu in The Simpsons -

"Location shooting... vivid colour... light and shadow... natural lighting... high contrast... mood... sharpness of image... OK. I have none of that."

- Belloq87 - 10-22-2017

Quote:

My favorite bit of The Lost World novel is how Malcolm is declared dead at the end of Jurassic Park, but is resurrected because Crichton was basically writing a sequel so it could be turned into a movie.

And it's handled in such a thrown away fashion, too.  Malcolm recalls that there were newspaper reports that erroneously reported his death.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malmordo View Post

Some of Crichton's later novels -- Airframe, for example -- look like screenplays with the scene headings removed.

I'm a huge Crichton fan, and even I'll acknowledge that this is basically true.  At a certain point, he became very much aware of the possibility of his novels almost instantly becoming movies, and his writing style catered to that.  To me, PREY is the one that feels most like Crichton saying, "This one's ready to go!  I can have a draft of the script next week!"  That's not even a criticism, because I'm still waiting for a movie of that one, to be honest.

He eventually did get beyond that, though, as things like STATE OF FEAR and NEXT do not have clean, neat act breaks or conventional structures.

- cylon baby - 10-22-2017

Quote:

I mean, authors had done similar things before. After the movie came out, David Morrell added, I believe, a foreword or afterword to First Blood that explained how Rambo had lived (he dies in the book) and then wrote the novelization of Rambo: First Blood Part II like a sequel to his own novel.

Not new! Sir Walter Scott had a character in Ivanhoe (which was published as a serial) get a sword to the skull, but the character was so popular, he brought him back and had him explain that "it was just a head wound".

AThen there was that whole thing where John wrote Revelation and brought Jesus back by popular demand.

- user_32 - 10-22-2017

A[quote name="MichaelM" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/1830#post_4387955"]
Same. TLW is deeply flawed but its pieces remain incredibly enjoyable. (I'd contend that without the ridiculous gymnastics scene the film as a whole would be held more highly by us film nerds). 

Plus it has Goldblum in full Goldblum mode. "Mommy's very angry."
[/quote]

Yeah, Goldblum's on fire Goldblum mode in this movie.

"Taking dinosaurs off this island is the worst idea in the long, sad history of bad ideas."

"Ooh ahh that's how all this starts, then later there's running and screaming."

I will say the biggest sin the movie committed was making the raptors dumb. Other than the brilliant long grass sequence, after that they were just banging into shit. Nothing like the creatures from the first film.

Out of the four films, this one is the worst for the raptors.

- MichaelM - 10-22-2017

Quote:

Then there was that whole thing where John wrote Revelation and brought Jesus back by popular demand.

Brought him back again, ITYM. You seem to be skipping over that whole Resurrection bit back in John's Gospel.

AMichaelM, overexplaining the joke since 1968.