The Trouble City Forums
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=155331)

- carnotaur3 - 03-15-2016

I really hope Spielberg does a Temple of Doom-like refresher. Not in that he does a movie like Temple of Doom, but something completely new structure-wise. So far we've had two sequels which followed Raiders' rule book. Let's cut the whole college thing out - plus if I have to see that same damn Marcus light character walking down a corridor shot swing into a OTS to Indy through glass door, I'll puke.

Maybe have Indy already retired and already mixed up in a far away land somewhere in some crazy grave robbing business he started. No America in this film, just many different cultures. Marian is on vacation and Mutt is away at college. And Ox?

He's DEAD.

EDIT: Or better yet, they work together.  Maybe Ox dying could be the start of a mystery leading to the promise of a great artifact? Hmmm.

- fatherdude - 03-15-2016

That's basically the movie I want to see.  There doesn't have to be anything credulity-straining about a 75 year old Indy exploring catacombs and temples.  Just don't have him go mano a mano with a ripped German mechanic...although it's worth noting that even Indy in his 30s got pwned by that dude and had to trick him into a propeller.  Kinda like he had to shoot a swordsman instead of fighting him fair.  Kind of like he had to cut the rope bridge because he was outnumbered.  Old Indy is in an even more appropriate position to have to come up with crazy/creative alternatives to a normal fight.  They could have a lot of fun with it, and not in a dumb way that turns the character into a punchline.

They should go for a Van Helsing vibe.  The Beards ended up backing out of their haunted castle idea for Indy 3, but there's no reason not to revisit it.

- agentsands77 - 03-15-2016

A[quote name="Carnotaur3" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/150#post_4031992"]I really hope Spielberg does a Temple of Doom-like refresher. Not in that he does a movie like Temple of Doom, but something completely new structure-wise.
[/quote]
Me too. But I don't see that happening.

- Dent6084 - 03-15-2016

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatherDude View Post

That's basically the movie I want to see.  There doesn't have to be anything credulity-straining about a 75 year old Indy exploring catacombs and temples.  Just don't have him go mano a mano with a ripped German mechanic...although it's worth noting that even Indy in his 30s got pwned by that dude and had to trick him into a propeller.  Kinda like he had to shoot a swordsman instead of fighting him fair.  Kind of like he had to cut the rope bridge because he was outnumbered.  Old Indy is in an even more appropriate position to have to come up with crazy/creative alternatives to a normal fight.  They could have a lot of fun with it, and not in a dumb way that turns the character into a punchline.

They should go for a Van Helsing vibe.  The Beards ended up backing out of their haunted castle idea for Indy 3, but there's no reason not to revisit it.

Yeah, this.  Seeing Old Indy think/pull crazy shit to get out of a fistfight/gunfight/etc. has a lot of potential, and Ford would be game for it.  It'd be a great way to make it stand out from the typical action crowd too.

Spielberg had been pretty burnt out on action filmmaking around KOTCS, so hopefully he's getting back into it.  I suspect the above approach would probably interest him.

And yeah, Kasdan is totally involved somehow.  It seems like he has a blast writing for Ford, and he'd probably have a lot of fun switching gears from Han to Indy.

Indy pulling off crazy shit - like throwing a saw into a guy's belly - isn't all that different from things he did in the older films. And shooting his gun doesn't have to be an arthritis challenge, but in some ways, I really just think the filmmakers ignoring his age would work for the most part unless it's just post Die Hard 3 shenanigans, in which case it shouldn't even be called Indiana Jones. Lots of scenes in the hangar came pretty dangerously close to that. Just having re-watched the scene today, I would be hard pressed believing even 30 year old Indy could swing from car to high rafters only to run across them the next few frames without falling through.

That's some hairy shit. Old Indy would be wide-eyed with terror even considering it. That's one thing that needs to come back. A fallibly, vulnerable Indy who looks and feels in over his head but somehow makes it through. Not Spido-Mahn.

- fatherdude - 03-15-2016

To me what makes the warehouse set piece objectionable is that the way it kicks off totally misleads you into thinking Indy is up to one of his usual tricks - he's getting the Ruskies to turn over their ammunition! - only for it to turn out that, no, he really had no plan and was just straight up helping the bad guys until dumb luck provided him with a distraction.  Cue fanfare!

Robbing Indy of key moments even while every opportunity is there for him to do something cool is basically the movie in a nutshell.  It still floors me that the obelisk scene set up a situation where obviously Indy is going to use his wits and expertise solve this ancient puzzle...except nope, John Hurt figured it out before the events of the movie.  What a rush!

- Dent6084 - 03-15-2016

Indy's role post-ant sequence is almost literally composed of asking John Hurt what to do.  Even for a series that gleefully and splendidly sidelined its hero at the climax of its best film, that's just too far.

- episode29 - 03-15-2016

Who's to say Chris Pratt couldn't be written in.... Franchise crossovers equal $$$

AI actually thought it would have been clever for the Ruskies to aim their guns, shoot at him and then realize the magnetism shifted the bullets back, hitting about half of the enemy. Indy smiles.

But alas.

- slim - 03-15-2016

A[quote name="Bluelouboyle" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion#post_4031600"]Let's do 10,000 posts by nightfall.[/quote]

Geez, this was asking a bit much, but 4 pages since this afternoon ain't too shabby.

My only suggestion for an artifact, keeping in the Judeo Christian realm, would be the Spear of Destiny-- which I guess is an obvious one, since I see that they did a comic book based around that. I don't envy the guy who has to come up with a suitable prize for this movie.

As for villains, I rather like the suggestion someone made above about a hippie cult. If they're edging into the 60s with this stuff, maybe it would do to have Indy go up against some Satanists, "Race With the Devil" style...

Again, though, coming up with something new and age appropriate for an Indy movie seems like an almost impossible task. Only all the money in the world (which I'm sure they hope to make) could induce someone to want to try.

- barry woodward - 03-16-2016

INDIANA JONES AND THE SEVENTIES CONSPIRACY THRILLER.

If Indiana Jones films are informed by the decade in which they're set, why not give this installment a 70s paranoia vibe in the vein of THE PARALLAX VIEW, THREE DAYS OF THE CONDOR or CAPRICORN ONE. Make the villains members of a secret society trying obtain a supernatural artifact that will help them achieve their plans of geopolitical domination.

- fraid uh noman - 03-16-2016

AThere's no evidence yet that we're in for another Crystal Skull debacle. There's a few factors that are different behind the scenes on this one, to say the least. And do people really think that Spielberg is so ignorant as to make something just as bad as last time? They got burned on that one and they know it. I can't help but remain hopeful. Besides...I'll see new Ford movies (at least in these roles) until the day one of us dies.

But, then again, so many dislike TFA. I don't. Not even close. But I get it I guess. It just makes me sad to see such pessimism. Everything doesn't always suck. Spielberg! Ford! No Lucas! Be happy Smile!

- chaz - 03-16-2016

I don't hate KOTCS, but I do think its a sub-par movie. My main problem with it was that while Ford was good at playing an older, wiser Indy, that isn't the Indy I want to see. I want to see the dude who chased after a platoon of soldiers on horseback with nothing but a gun, a whip and a big set of balls. However it would be silly to see a 60 something man do that. At this point the series is in a Catch 22, what made the first three movies good wouldn't work now and the best way to make them now wouldn't be as good as they where back in the day. Maybe  Indy being  mentor to an upstart archaeologist could work.

Here is my bat shit crazy idea for a crossover. Indiana Jones and The Man from U.N.C.L.E. Indiana Jones meets the swinging 60s.

A[quote name="FatherDude" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/180#post_4032053"]To me what makes the warehouse set piece objectionable is that the way it kicks off totally misleads you into thinking Indy is up to one of his usual tricks - he's getting the Ruskies to turn over their ammunition! - only for it to turn out that, no, he really had no plan and was just straight up helping the bad guys until dumb luck provided him with a distraction.  Cue fanfare!

Robbing Indy of key moments even while every opportunity is there for him to do something cool is basically the movie in a nutshell.
[/quote]
This is literally the exact same thing that I thought was happening when I watched it the first (and last) time. Bleh..

- commodorejohn - 03-16-2016

AUgh, please God no mentor/protege bullshit. I don't want to see a passing of the torch or any shit like that, and I don't want to see some random studio pick for the True Successor You Should All Keep Watching In Movies Once Harrison Ford Dies. (One of those was way the fuck more than enough; one of the actually encouraging things here is that Shia's burned so many bridges that we can pretty much rest assured that irritating twerp won't be coming back.) If they can't pull off a Indiana Jones movie actually starring Indiana Jones, they need to just not do one at all.

The Manson-esque cult angle is a good one, and as much as it feels kinda sacreligious to say about the mother of all globetrotting adventure films, it'd be interesting to see one take place mostly in the US for a change. But they really shouldn't go overboard with the '60s kitsch; we already got a metric assload of movies with that in the '90s and it doesn't fit the milieu at all. If we see any kind of '60s in such a movie, it should be the grungy, dusty, ass-end-of-Route-66 kind of '60s that "Manos" The Hands Of Fate inhabits, the kind where you're one wrong turn away from winding up in a Richard Matheson story. Keep Indy out on the fringe where he belongs.

A[quote name="commodorejohn" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/180#post_4032119"]Ugh, please God no mentor/protege bullshit. I don't want to see a passing of the torch or any shit like that, and I don't want to see some random studio pick for the True Successor You Should All Keep Watching In Movies Once Harrison Ford Dies. (One of those was way the fuck more than enough; one of the actually encouraging things here is that Shia's burned so many bridges that we can pretty much rest assured that irritating twerp won't be coming back.) If they can't pull off a Indiana Jones movie actually starring Indiana Jones, they need to just not do one at all.[/quote]
For the record, I very much don't want that either.

The culty idea would be cool...Temple of Doom-esque. Maybe something Jim Jones/Guyana (if there's a way to tastefully do such a thing...and certainly not LITERALLY a Jim Jones) crossed with L Ron Hubbard wackiness..

AAll of which reminds me that I really should get around to watching The Quatermass Conclusion one of these days...

- Codename - 03-16-2016

Yeah, I like the idea of Indy vs. a cult or secret society.  And the idea of him looking for the Isle of Avalon that Stale Elvis posted is great and not something we've really seen yet.  You could call it Indiana Jones and The Island of Lost Souls or something.  The group could be The Knights Templar/Illuminati/Whatever the fuck you want to call your shadow society.  

Ford and Spielberg returning are the sole factors in my optimism for this.  If anyone deserves a second shot at ending this franchise it's Steven Fucking Spielberg.

- user_32 - 03-16-2016

I couldn't see Spielberg taking this on unless he had something pretty big up his sleeve. It felt he was happy to finish the series off at the third and did the fourth out of loyalty to Lucas and Ford.

At this point, I think the only reason he'd do a fifth is to prove something with it. Maybe seeing his old pal George Miller return to his old franchise at 71 years old to such acclaim inspired him to do the same.

- bluelouboyle - 03-16-2016

AWhen INDY 5 is released Ford will be 20 years older than Connery was when they made LAST CRUSADE.

- mr. stockslivevan - 03-16-2016

AAfter this, they should award Ford a giant wooden dildo. You've only made it once you got one of those bad boys.

- filmnerdjamie - 03-16-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoken View Post

He's 70, he's been the main star in some of the most profitable films ever, has two huge franchises under his belt, has walked of airplane crashes and on set injuries/disentery, and has survived marriage to Calista Flockhart.

He is POWER UNLIMITED!!!!!

- bluelouboyle - 03-16-2016

AIt's possible that President Trump will be starting his re-election campaign about the same time this is released.

- Codename - 03-16-2016

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluelouboyle View Post

It's possible that President Trump will be starting his re-election campaign about the same time this is released.

Just the film to brighten up the camps.

- Stale Elvis - 03-16-2016

AOh yeah, and new John Williams score.

Let's not have a debate about who will replace Williams if he doesn't want to do this as we're already having that in the Episode VIII thread. Let's just for now and until it's confirmed otherwise assume he is.

So, NEW JOHN WILLIAMS INDIANA JONES SCORE!

- fatherdude - 03-16-2016

We're also likely to get a new Drew Struzan poster.  It helps to look at it that way.

AI could live without that.

I think the final floating heads poster for CRYSTAL SKULL was largely a composite job, but all the raw art Struzan did for that project, used and unused, kicked ass:

That last one more or less got used for the teaser poster, but if you look at them side-by-side you can see how they changed Indy's face compared to the original art.

And just as an extra, this was used as cover art for the comic adaptation.  The artist is Hugh Fleming and he honors the style well:

AHugh Flemming is a great artist - been following him since the 90s.

I've posted it numerous times probably in the original KotCS and Episode VII threads so won't go into it too much here but as much as Struzan is a God-like artist his style is just tired now. Go for new blood with a distinctive style - there are thousands on DeviantArt and Pinterest. Hell, send them Smugbugs number.

We're talking about the fifth and final collaboration between a bunch of dudes in their 70s on the franchise they invented before they finally release it into the reboot wild.  I don't think establishing a distinctive new style is going to be the name of the game with any facet of this project.

Yeah I know that. I can wish though.

AYou don't look at a project that's a deliberate and loving throwback to '40s film serials and go "needs a more modern poster," Elvis.

Quote:

Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post

You don't look at a project that's a deliberate and loving throwback to '40s film serials and go "needs a more modern poster," Elvis.

I didn't say a "more modern poster" did it? I said go for new blood with a distinctive style.

A "modern" poster design is your common or garden photoshop floating head montage which isn't a million miles away from what Struzan does with his watercolour and gouache pieces (cue posting pictures of anything that Struzan has done that isn't floating heads).

A typical Struzan composition for a LFL movie is main character(s) central with supporting characters around them and an action scene or two at the bottom. In fact you can almost guarantee that right now Struzan's sitting at home working up anther genius composition that doesn't look a million miles away from this...

I suspect the floating heads layout is more of a studio mandate than anything.  As the above art assets demonstrate, the studio hired Struzan to come up with character and background elements, but the final poster is essentially a photoshop assembly of painted-over production stills of the actors.  They basically didn't need Struzan in the first place if that was their end goal, although since the process still left us with a few new pieces of unmolested Struzan Indy art, I call it a net profit.

- hammerhead - 03-17-2016