The Trouble City Forums
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=155331)

- noirheaven - 01-25-2018

If Roger Friedman is to be trusted--and I grant that that is a rather elephantine "[i]f"--looks like West Side Story is about to be fast-tracked for The Beard. Maybe a summer '18 shoot?

http://www.showbiz411.com/2018/01/25/its-official-steven-spielberg-is-remaking-west-side-story-pro-forma-casting-call-goes-out-for-leads

Quote:

It's Official: Steven Spielberg is Remaking "West Side Story," Pro-Forma Casting Call Goes Out For Leads

- Belloq87 - 01-25-2018

Boo!

As much as I want to see a Spielberg musical, I don't know what's to be gained by remaking a classic of WSS's magnitude.

- Overlord - 01-25-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirHeaven View Post

If Roger Friedman is to be trusted--and I grant that that is a rather elephantine "[i]f"--looks like West Side Story is about to be fast-tracked for The Beard. Maybe a summer '18 shoot?

http://www.showbiz411.com/2018/01/25/its-official-steven-spielberg-is-remaking-west-side-story-pro-forma-casting-call-goes-out-for-leads

Talk about a completely dated production.  It was a product of its time and place ... if you're going to remake a classic (almost always a bad idea), why choose that one?

- bradito - 01-25-2018

AFuck, why not remake "Rent?"

@_@

- Overlord - 01-25-2018

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

Fuck, why not remake "Rent?"

@_@

He should take a stab at Intolerance, the finest film ever made.

- bradito - 01-25-2018

A*ragepukes*

- Pither - 01-25-2018

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overlord View Post

Talk about a completely dated production.  It was a product of its time and place ... if you're going to remake a classic (almost always a bad idea), why choose that one?

Dance-related violence is always a relevant issue!

- scottieferguson - 01-26-2018

Seriously, Steve, I know you've always wanted to make a musical... and a Bond film, but you're pulling a Never Say Never Again.

- noirheaven - 01-26-2018

The one thing about this is, it could either be a dazzling triumph or a complete, utter catastrophe. Not even Ready Player One or Indy 5 feel like such huge swings at the plate. Spielberg's either going to strike out here or he's going to break some lights like The Natural. So in that sense it's genuinely exciting.

Genuinely perilously exciting, granted.

- Overlord - 01-26-2018

A[quote name="NoirHeaven" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/2100#post_4458804"]The one thing about this is, it could either be a dazzling triumph or a complete, utter catastrophe. Not even Ready Player One or Indy 5 feel like such huge swings at the plate. Spielberg's either going to strike out here or he's going to break some lights like The Natural. So in that sense it's genuinely exciting. 

Genuinely perilously exciting, granted.
[/quote]

If it happens it'll be complete garbage.

- Belloq87 - 01-26-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlord View Post

If it happens it'll be complete garbage.

I mean, I certainly think there's WAY more downside than upside to a WEST SIDE STORY remake, but I wouldn't go quite this far.  Granted, I'm in the tank for Spielberg, but I don't think he's yet made a film that I would call complete garbage.  CRYSTAL SKULL comes close.  Even if his WSS turns out subpar, I have to believe it would have some redeeming features.

I would just rather see him do either an original musical or an adaptation of a Broadway show that has yet to make it to the silver screen.

Or any number of non-musical projects he's been kicking around, including the subject of this very thread.

- Overlord - 01-26-2018

AMaybe he can punch up the soundtrack and make it hippy hoppy-esque, more modern. That's the ticket.

- user_32 - 01-26-2018

ASpielberg doesn’t make pure garbage. Give the man more credit than that, I think he deserves it.

Even his lesser films 1941, Hook, The Lost World and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull are entertaining.

And when his heart is into something, he shines. There’s no reason he’d do this to fail.

- MichaelM - 01-26-2018

Quote:

Originally Posted by User_32 View Post

Even his lesser films 1941, Hook, The Lost World and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull are entertaining.

You lost me at "Hook is entertaining."

- call me roy - 01-26-2018

AI agree with MichaelM, Hook is shite. I’ve seen better film on teeth...

- MichaelM - 01-26-2018

I mean, 1941, The Lost World - yep, deeply flawed but (mostly) entertaining even when they're not that good. But Hook?

Nah, breh.

- bartleby_scriven - 01-26-2018

dat dustin hoffman, tho

- MichaelM - 01-26-2018

No.

Imma take you off the Christmas card list, MM.

- MichaelM - 01-26-2018

No.

Just kidding. Imma double your Christmas cards.

- MichaelM - 01-26-2018

- RCA - 01-26-2018

Quote:

Spielberg doesn’t make pure garbage.

- fatherdude - 01-26-2018

Aw, come on.  THE TERMINAL is not garbage.  It's good for what it is, which is a schmaltz movie.  Like ALWAYS, it might not be my personal cup of tea, but that doesn't mean it's unsuccessful at what it's setting out to be, which is the only rational way to judge a film.  I distinguish those from HOOK and 1941 which fail at what they're trying to be, although in my opinion entertainingly so, since they're such massive swings.

Anyway, very disappointed that Spielberg would prioritize WEST SIDE STORY over INDY 5 given Ford's age, although if he intends to keep up the pace of making two movies a year, it's still highly possible Indy could shoot in 2018.

Also, while casting generally means a movie is about to shoot, that's not necessarily the case.  Oscar Isaac had been "cast" in THE KIDNAPPING OF EDGARDO MORTARA for years, after all.

- RCA - 01-26-2018

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatherDude View Post

Aw, come on.  THE TERMINAL is not garbage.  It's good for what it is, which is a schmaltz movie.

Maybe it's just me, but The Terminal is one of my least favorite movies of all time by a well respected filmmaker.  I absolutely hated every moment of it, and I was really looking forward to seeing it.  It's not that it was offensively bad, but just utterly bland and boring in almost every possible way.

- Dent6084 - 01-26-2018

Wouldn't be surprised if WSS has a longer pre-production phase than something like The Post, as well. If Spielberg intends to match the choreography from the original film, that's going to be some lengthy prep/rehearsal.

Also, between Anything Goes and the dance hall sequence from 1941, Spielberg doing a musical has long been something I've wanted to see. This particular musical? Well... I guess we'll see how it turns out. Kushner doing the script adaptation is promising, though.

- mola ram - 01-26-2018

I really enjoyed The Terminal, as have many others. It's just a minor footnote in Spielberg's filmography (especially since it came out right in the middle of Minority Report, Catch me if you Can, War of the Worlds, and Munich).

It's nowhere near his worst.

- mola ram - 01-26-2018

Quote:

Spielberg doesn’t make pure garbage. Give the man more credit than that, I think he deserves it.

And when his heart is into something, he shines. There’s no reason he’d do this to fail.

The Lost World is really dull.

- fatherdude - 01-26-2018

I don't find THE LOST WORLD dull, but I do find it thematically obnoxious and its protagonists aggressively unlikeable.  Pete Postlewaite, some killer set pieces, a great score and its streak of unremitting cruelty make it worthwhile, but it's definitely among Spielberg's worst.

- user_32 - 01-26-2018

AWe’re using the word “pure garbage”.

NONE of those are pure garbage.

A Transformers sequel is pure garbage.

Please don’t misuse the word. Uwe Boll has that phrase in the bag.

- RCA - 01-26-2018

Quote:

We’re using the word “pure garbage”.

NONE of those are pure garbage.

A Transformers sequel is pure garbage.

Please don’t misuse the word. Uwe Boll has that phrase in the bag.

I would rather watch an Uwe Boll movie than watch The Terminal again.  Sure, it doesn't fit the definition of "pure garbage", but it fails so spectacularly at creating anything compelling in terms of comedy, drama, etc, that it's shortcomings are that much more apparent. Tom Hank's character isn't even from a real country.  Why did they have to make up a country?  It just makes his "journey" that much less believable.  I never cared what happened to him, because everything about him is simply made up.

Also, the product placement...so much product placement.

- user_32 - 01-26-2018

A[quote name="RCA" url="/community /t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/2130#post_4459135"]

I would rather watch an Uwe Boll movie than watch The Terminal again. 
[/quote]

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=4705254]

It’s Spielberg doing Frank Capra. No more, no less. It worked for me on that level and Hanks is charming AF.

- commodorejohn - 01-26-2018

AFun fact: the letters in THE TERMINAL can be rearranged to spell TERMITE 'N HAL.

- atomtastic - 01-26-2018

I know I rag on Kamiński a lot, but I can't wait to see what grays and browns he brings to the vibrant world of West Side Story.

- Overlord - 01-26-2018

AI wasn't able to sit through The Terminal. Kind of surprised anyone could make it more than about the 2/3rd point.

Aside from a few moments and one sequence (diner and ensuing brawl with motorcycle chase) Crystal Skull was just about pure garbage. BFG? Is that not pure garbage? Hook? I saw it once in the theaters, but walked out realizing Spielberg was, in fact, capable of making a completely atrocious film.