The Trouble City Forums
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=155331)



- Dent6084 - 01-26-2018

THR is saying that while Spielberg is starting casting on WSS, Indy 5 is still his first priority. He's just starting casting on WSS now because he expects it to be a fairly lengthy process.



https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/west-side-story-steven-spielberg-looks-spanish-speaking-actors-his-remake-1078559




- filmnerdjamie - 01-26-2018

Quote:

Originally Posted by User_32 View Post

Spielberg doesn’t make pure garbage. Give the man more credit than that, I think he deserves it.

Even his lesser films 1941, Hook, The Lost World and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull are entertaining.

And when his heart is into something, he shines. There’s no reason he’d do this to fail.


Gotta back my boy User_32 here. Spielberg is such a master unto his own that we take him for granted.



And Hook will forever be the best film Terry Gillam should have made.




- carnotaur3 - 01-26-2018

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dent6084 View Post
 

THR is saying that while Spielberg is starting casting on WSS, Indy 5 is still his first priority. He's just starting casting on WSS now because he expects it to be a fairly lengthy process.



https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/west-side-story-steven-spielberg-looks-spanish-speaking-actors-his-remake-1078559



Good news.



The musical can WAIT!




- malmordo - 01-26-2018

He's made garbage films (several of them, actually) just like anyone else. I wish the fan worship would cool down a bit.




- amos orange - 01-26-2018

West Side Story is happening because Spielberg is choosing topical period stories that reflect current events, yeah?



The Post was about the importance of the free press and West Side Story concerns the melting pot of immigrants in 20th century NYC and the tribalist conflicts that came with it?




- Overlord - 01-26-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos Orange View Post
 

West Side Story is happening because Spielberg is choosing topical period stories that reflect current events, yeah?



The Post was about the importance of the free press and West Side Story concerns the melting pot of immigrants in 20th century NYC and the tribalist conflicts that came with it?



If you wanted to do a topical story about The Press™ it wouldn't be something like The Post, it would probably be something examining the horrific merger of commerce/commercialism with the mainstream media.  While I haven't seen The Post (and don't intend to), it would seem that something like Nightcrawler would be significantly more "topical."



A tale of immigration mixed with a "stars crossed" love story is always going to be relevant to the U.S., but West Side Story, specifically, is an incredibly dated production.  Unless he's going to modify it so radically that it's really just an "Inspired By" situation, I can't see how this ends up being anything other than an anachronistic misfire.




- fatherdude - 01-26-2018

The article says INDY 5 is his next movie, yet also says it will film in 2019.



I mean, that's perfectly logical, since the movie has a 2020 release date and if anyone deserves a breather right now, it's Spielberg.  But I have a hard time believing that he's really not going to shoot anything in the next twelve months.  It's almost like he's deliberately leaving himself open for another THE POST.  I just wish he'd plunge right into INDY 5 while Ford still has his health.  The movie can sit in the can for two years if need be, but if the script is ready they need to get it shot now.




- Overlord - 01-26-2018

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatherDude View Post
 

The article says INDY 5 is his next movie, yet also says it will film in 2019.



I mean, that's perfectly logical, since the movie has a 2020 release date and if anyone deserves a breather right now, it's Spielberg.  But I have a hard time believing that he's really not going to shoot anything in the next twelve months.  It's almost like he's deliberately leaving himself open for another THE POST.  I just wish he'd plunge right into INDY 5 while Ford still has his health.  The movie can sit in the can for two years if need be, but if the script is ready they need to get it shot now.



If Indy 5 was something his heart was completely behind, he'd do it ASAP, IMHO.




- engineer - 01-26-2018

I'll admit it.  Steven Spielberg, more so than other other filmmaker, got me into film in the first place.  JAWS, CLOSE ENCOUNTERS, RAIDERS, E.T., POLTERGEIST and yeah, even 1941 (still love it) were life-changing cinema for a kid in the late seventies and eighties and the man's work remains top-level for me to this day.



And yeah, I even still enjoy HOOK.  For those who doubt it's level of adoration in the world, I have a friend in his early forties who's name is actually Rufio.  And every time, every time, someone meets him and hears his name, their eyes light up and they say something about HOOK.  Some even go so far as to say "Bangarang."  I've seen it.  It's still a beloved movie.  Flawed, but beloved.  Anyone who disagrees can get in the goddamn boo-box.





That said, his worst film for me is surely INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL.  I enjoy most of the first half but, wow, when that thing goes off the rails it goes off the rails hard.



While I'll agree that a WEST SIDE STORY seems ill-advised, I agree that it could be a fascinating puzzle trying to make that work for modern audiences.  Even though I only just saw the classic original within the last year and did really enjoy it (the blu-ray is gorgeous), I'm intellectually interested in a Spielberg re-telling, anyway.




- virtanen - 01-26-2018

Confession: while I'm familiar with the name, I've never seen West Side Story and didn't even have any idea what it was about. The plot synopsis looks like something David Ayer would butcher to prove he's a real artist or something.




- amos orange - 01-26-2018

I'm more familiar with the Norm Macdonald SNL sketch than the actual source material.



http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xqm2fh




- RCA - 01-26-2018

Quote:

Originally Posted by Engineer View Post
 

 Some even go so fr as to say "Bangarang."







- filmnerdjamie - 01-26-2018

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatherDude View Post
 

The article says INDY 5 is his next movie, yet also says it will film in 2019.



I mean, that's perfectly logical, since the movie has a 2020 release date and if anyone deserves a breather right now, it's Spielberg.  But I have a hard time believing that he's really not going to shoot anything in the next twelve months.  It's almost like he's deliberately leaving himself open for another THE POST.  I just wish he'd plunge right into INDY 5 while Ford still has his health.  The movie can sit in the can for two years if need be, but if the script is ready they need to get it shot now.



Quote:

Originally Posted by Overlord View Post
 

If Indy 5 was something his heart was completely behind, he'd do it ASAP, IMHO.



It read (to me, at least) as Indy 5 is the back-up plan. In the event nothing rears its head within the next 6 months.



Spielberg can get a film up and running fast. We just saw that with The Post, and I remember Munich began filming on War of the World's opening day of release (June 29)... and was fully finished by late November.




- carnotaur3 - 01-26-2018

Quote:

Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
 



It read (to me, at least) as Indy 5 is the back-up plan. In the event nothing rears its head within the next 6 months.



Spielberg can get a film up and running fast. We just saw that with The Post, and I remember Munich began filming on War of the World's opening day of release (June 29)... and was fully finished by late November.



That sounds right. But if he can't get West Side Story going quickly, he's waiting a very long time to work. Unless Indy V is actually locations/effects/pre-vis heavy.




- malmordo - 01-26-2018

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virtanen View Post
 

Confession: while I'm familiar with the name, I've never seen West Side Story and didn't even have any idea what it was about. The plot synopsis looks like something David Ayer would butcher to prove he's a real artist or something.



It's basically an updated Romeo & Juliet.



The best thing about the movie is the dance choreography by Jerome Robbins.




- Overlord - 01-26-2018

I can't imagine he doesn't intend to set it in the modern era.  What would be the creative rationale to of remaking a film only to set it in the same era as the original?  Those types of remakes (*cough* Jan de Bont *cough*) are generally seen as completely pointless.



That being the case, in the age of Tinder, "Hook-Up" culture, hip hop, and searing inner city portrayals like The Wire, The Shield, or [INSERT ONE OF 20 MOVIES HERE], how the fuck are you going to adapt West Side Story's dance-fighting to make it palatable to the modern audience?  Hell, the sheer existence of cell phones renders one of the major plot points of West Side Story completely moot.




- Belloq87 - 01-26-2018

I can't see how you make WEST SIDE STORY work if you set it in present day.  You'd have to make so many wholesale changes to dialogue, character, and plotting, and yet still presumably fit in all the songs and dancing.  I just don't see that as a recipe for anything remotely cohesive.




- amos orange - 01-26-2018

AYeah, West Side Story set in 21st century Manhattan makes zero sense.


- Overlord - 01-26-2018

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belloq87 View Post
 

I can't see how you make WEST SIDE STORY work if you set it in present day.  You'd have to make so many wholesale changes to dialogue, character, and plotting, and yet still presumably fit in all the songs and dancing.  I just don't see that as a recipe for anything remotely cohesive.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Amos Orange View Post

Yeah, West Side Story set in 21st century Manhattan makes zero sense.


So he's going to remake it in the same era?   That makes no sense to me, either.




- engineer - 01-26-2018

A modern-day remake could basically be finance-based.  Family-money girl meets poor illegal immigrant boy?



Politically-charged!!



Ooooh, they meet outside Trump Tower!



Buy the new hit single, "Another Brick In The Wall" by Pharrell Williams, Blake Shelton and Gwen Stefani!



I'm so in.




- Belloq87 - 01-26-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlord View Post
 


So he's going to remake it in the same era?   That makes no sense to me, either.


None of it makes sense!  That's why I don't think it's a good idea to remake it!




- Neil Spurn - 01-26-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos Orange View Post

Yeah, West Side Story set in 21st century Manhattan makes zero sense.


I'd love to know what neighborhood it would be set in, given the homogenized blob that Manhattan has become.




- Overlord - 01-26-2018

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belloq87 View Post
 

None of it makes sense!  That's why I don't think it's a good idea to remake it!



EXACTLY!




- filmnerdjamie - 01-26-2018

If I remember correctly, Spielberg's had an interest in remaking North by Northwest and, interestingly, The Sugarland Express.




- engineer - 01-26-2018

Would watch both.




- engineer - 01-26-2018




- RCA - 01-26-2018

I'm still surprised we never got an E.T. 2.  I'd be kind of curious to see what they would do with that.



Unrelated, but when I was watching Gerald's Game a few months ago, all I could think was "Man, I hope E.T. doesn't come back right now, he would be so disappointed in Elliot."




- Overlord - 01-26-2018

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCA View Post
 

I'm still surprised we never got an E.T. 2.  I'd be kind of curious to see what they would do with that.



Huh.  That is really surprising.



I can only assume that there is a hidden rights issue.




- user_32 - 01-26-2018

ANot really. It’s too close to Spielberg’s heart. He’s said he has no interest in a follow up.


- Overlord - 01-26-2018

Quote:

Originally Posted by User_32 View Post

Not really. It’s too close to Spielberg’s heart. He’s said he has no interest in a follow up.


Of course.  What would be the point of revisiting a beloved classic, particularly one that's so integral and interwoven with the time period in which it was released.  It would be a creatively bankrupt decision.




- user_32 - 01-26-2018

AFirst, it’s not his own. So for him, it’s not creatively bankrupt. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Second, it is in itself a modern remake of Romeo and Juliet.


- filmnerdjamie - 01-26-2018

Spielberg infamously killed Jaws 3, People 0. But he liked it enough to put Joe Dante under his wing during the 80's (and eternally backed him on his fights during both Gremlins). He's also backed Zemeckis and Gale on their stance of stopping further Back to the Future sequels.



Now once Spielberg passes, you can bet your ass something like another Jaws will get made.




- malmordo - 01-26-2018

Quote:

Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
 

If I remember correctly, Spielberg's had an interest in remaking North by Northwest 



This is generally a bad idea but might have a shot at working if George Clooney took the lead. Unfortunately, Clooney doesn't seem to have any interest in making movies that people would want to see.




- Dent6084 - 01-26-2018

He's batted around Grapes of Wrath and Harvey remakes as well.




- Overlord - 01-26-2018

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dent6084 View Post
 

He's batted around Grapes of Wrath and Harvey remakes as well.



I had no idea Spielberg was so infected by remake fever.