The Trouble City Forums
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=155331)

- Richard Dickson - 01-29-2018

There's a part of me that wouldn't mind the plot being trying to find Indy himself, but that would necessitate Ford being off-screen for a good chunk of the film, and probably feel too much like Blade Runner 2049 in the bargain.

They burned off the "find the one artifact that's eluded me all these years" idea for the Last Crusade prologue, so that angle is gone.

I'd still be interested to see them follow up on Indy's status as a Grail Knight.  Even if he didn't stay behind the seal to keep his immortality, he did drink from the Grail.  Have that obligate him to something, either Christian or Arthurian.  That would be a good way to drag a tired, reluctant Indy out of retirement, or justify an aged but still game Indy going off on one last adventure.

- fatherdude - 01-29-2018

After bringing up Lao Che I went to confirm that Ric Young (the son of Lao Che that didn't get kebab'd) is still alive.  The last thing I saw him in was AMERICAN GANGSTER:

Why did Lao Che want the remains of Nurhaci so bad, anyway?  I realize there must have been great historical significance, but these guys were hoods, not museum curators.  Perhaps they were just looking to sell it, or perhaps it is the key to some ancient evil/power?  From there you're only a few short contrivances away from haunted Manchurian mountain temples and the return of Short Round.  Throw in Mark Rylance as a sidekick and baby, you got a stew goin'.

- ryoken - 01-29-2018

Lets be real here: We wont see an Indy V set in China or dealing with China related myths/history because a Cold War Indy film would display the Red Army and PRC as the villains.

And that means saying goodbye to the chinese market.

So that's a no go.

- RCA - 01-29-2018

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatherDude View Post

I guess if you don't want to be too downbeat you can simply depict Indy on some final, seemingly low-key expedition

Indiana Jones and the Hunt for the Archaeologist's Glasses

They were on his head the whole time!

- Overlord - 01-29-2018

It shouldn't be an object again.  It should be a region/concept.  Something like Shangri-La/Shambhala, Atlantis, or an analogue for the Fountain of  Youth (still like the Garden of Eternal Peaches idea ... though give it a different name, and it would let you have Korea/China as the villain).

- carnotaur3 - 01-29-2018

A[quote name="ryoken" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/2250#post_4460781"]Lets be real here: We wont see an Indy V set in China or dealing with China related myths/history because a Cold War Indy film would display the Red Army and PRC as the villains.
So that's a no go.
[/quote]

What does it matter? China won’t budge for Lucasfilm anyway.

- Overlord - 01-29-2018

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carnotaur3 View Post

What does it matter? China won’t budge for Lucasfilm anyway.

Maybe they can re-brand it "JONES: An Adventure Story."

Just ... don't revisit the Russians.

- virtanen - 01-29-2018

I don't think the previous Indy-films have been released in China, at least not theatrically. All of them break their weird "no religious stuff or ghosts in films" rule. Well, Crystal Skull doesn't but who cares.

- ryoken - 01-29-2018

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCA View Post

Indiana Jones and the Hunt for the Archaeologist's Glasses

They were on his head the whole time!

Indiana Jones and the search for that thing Marcus lost in his own museum

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overlord View Post

It shouldn't be an object again.  It should be a region/concept.  Something like Shangri-La/Shambhala, Atlantis, or an analogue for the Fountain of  Youth (still like the Garden of Eternal Peaches idea ... though give it a different name, and it would let you have Korea/China as the villain).

Its gonna be Avalon, isnt it? King Arthur, Merlin and all that crap....wait, King Arthur: Legend of the Sword tanked. Nevermind.

- noirheaven - 01-29-2018

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryoken View Post

Lets be real here: We wont see an Indy V set in China or dealing with China related myths/history because a Cold War Indy film would display the Red Army and PRC as the villains.

So that's a no go.

Yeah, the Chinese pretty much own half of Hollywood at this point. So, no more Chinese villains for a while, if ever again.

- user_32 - 01-29-2018

That's why you bring Short Round back as an adult played by one of these dudes and you've got it covered.

http://www.scmp.com/magazines/style/people-events/article/2119595/10-highest-paid-chinese-actors-are-all-men

- boone daniels - 01-29-2018

Telling you guys, combining King Arthur with weirdo British celtic 1960s paganism/mysticsm is the way to go:

INDIANA JONES AND THE SWORD OF THE KING

INDIANA JONES AND THE ISLE OF AVALON

- Belloq87 - 01-29-2018

Coming up with era-appropriate villains for INDY V can't be an easy task.  The time period would suggest the Soviets again, but Spielberg and co. already whiffed on that front in CRYSTAL SKULL, so I don't seem them being revisited.  Nazis-in-exile somewhere in the jungles could be fun, but Spielberg isn't likely to pursue Nazis ever again in cartoonish context.  Plus the think-pieces-in-waiting about how "INDIANA JONES V is the most timely and relevant and important movie in the franchise!" would fill me with a powerful feeling of dread.  Indiana Jones should be timeless, not timely.

As we've discussed a bit before, I think some form of weird/scary cult could be the best way to go.  TEMPLE OF DOOM did it already, but there are only so many basic templates for antagonists that can work in this series.

- Overlord - 01-29-2018

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoirHeaven View Post

Yeah, the Chinese pretty much own half of Hollywood at this point. So, no more Chinese villains for a while, if ever again.

Well.  No fictional versions.

Still waiting for that Tiananmen Square film.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boone Daniels View Post

Telling you guys, combining King Arthur with weirdo British celtic 1960s paganism/mysticsm is the way to go:

Yeah, this is to me the most exciting possibility.

Bring in Damian Lewis or someone of that "sort" as the villain and you have something. Plus it's so distinct from the previous four adventures. Seeing Indy run around foggy English countrysides against weirdo British neo-pagan cultists feels right.

- Belloq87 - 01-29-2018

Quote:

Quote:

Bring in Damian Lewis or someone of that "sort" as the villain and you have something. Plus it's so distinct from the previous four adventures. Seeing Indy run around foggy English countrysides against weirdo British neo-pagan cultists feels right.

I like this direction.

Give us the oft-discussed haunted castle sequence for the teaser, then have Jones shanghaied into the main plot just as he's about to head home.

- Pither - 01-29-2018

Quote:

Quote:

​I'd love it if the villain was basically a variation on Lord Summerisle from The Wicker Man.

- user_32 - 01-29-2018

We've had two King Arthur themed films that failed last year (one of which was a Spielberg project) so I doubt they're approaching it at this time.

Stonehenge, baby.  Throw in a sect of benevolent druids ala the Brothers of the Cruciform Sword.

- fatherdude - 01-29-2018

One nice opportunity that is possibly suggested by a movie set in Great Britain is the reprisal and broadening of Jim Broadbent's character, allowing him to be something more than a stand-in for Denholm Elliot.

- user_32 - 01-29-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherDude View Post

One nice opportunity suggested by that angle is the reprisal and broadening of Jim Broadbent's character, allowing him to be something more than a stand-in for Denholm Elliot.

He can introduce Indy to Narnia.

Indiana Jones and the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pither View Post

​I'd love it if the villain was basically a variation on Lord Summerisle from The Wicker Man.

Yes, that's pretty much exactly what we seem to be going for here, haha. I'd love it, too.

- Overlord - 01-29-2018

Indiana Jones and the Cult of Dagon.

Oh no, please not Excalibur.  Please.

Give us something new.  While I'm sure Spielberg wouldn't want to be told to look at videogames for inspiration, every entry of Uncharted (particularly 2-5) are all radically better "lost region/trinket" storylines than Crystal Skull.

- Belloq87 - 01-29-2018

Quote:

I could be on board for a Lovecraftian angle, though it would lack a connection to the real-world mythologies that have - thus far - grounded the series.

I keep advocating for Fassbender as "Lord Summerisle" (I think in this very thread!), but Lewis would be a good choice. I also like David Morrisey.

- ryoken - 01-29-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Dickson View Post

Stonehenge, baby.  Throw in a sect of benevolent druids ala the Brothers of the Cruciform Sword.

Bay already has us beat. Indiana Jones and the HOLY SHIT TRANSFORMERS WERE BEHIND ALL OF MANKIND'S HISTORY!

Quote:

Well.  No fictional versions.

Still waiting for that Tiananmen Square film.

Indiana Jones and the Square where nothing horrible ever happened (originally a Simpsons joke)

Quote:

Fuck it. Make this with Del Toro and Spielberg together, cast Tom Cruise as an eldritch controlled scientist/cult leader

- ryoken - 01-29-2018

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belloq87 View Post

I could be on board for a Lovecraftian angle, though it would lack a connection to the real-world mythologies that have - thus far - grounded the series.

Dagon was a Sumerian god, so that would work

- Belloq87 - 01-29-2018

Quote:

Dagon was a Sumerian god, so that would work

You learn something new every day!

Quote:

Bay already has us beat.

Fuck Michael Bay.  Like Spielberg would let daring to trod on Bay's toes so much as make him blink.

The idea of "ancient aliens" is largely a 20th century creation, so now that we've established that as being fair game, Lovecraft could work. It'd require some heavy lifting but:

You could also do something riffing on the idea that, (if you take Native American/First Nations out of the equasion, which I think you'll have to), American folklore is, by and large, a much newer thing than some of the other mythologies the series has dealt with. The whole idea of the Cthulu mythos is akin to something like Pecos Bill or Paul Bunyan or even George Washington and the cherry tree - these stories rooted in fact that have become legend.

Or, you could do something where the power of collective imagination and nightmare can be channeled to release these creations and destroy the world. I think the LOVECRAFT graphic novel and Warren Ellis did something like this - that Lovecraft was basically inspired by these cosmic beings as a way to bring them into the world. That could have fun parallels with the idea of Indy as this legendary figure - sort of a Man Who Shot Liberty Valance/Last Jedi vibe, where the myth has far outpaced the man.

Or, hell, just have Disney buy Time Warner and give us INDIANA JONES AND THE ONE RING OF POWER. A shame Jimmy Broadbent's already been in these - he'd be a fun Tolkien.

Indy's chilling at home, enjoying his retirement, when a knock at the door reveals a robed figure carrying a familiar-looking sword.  "This belongs to you, Last Knight of the Grail."

And off we go.

- ryoken - 01-29-2018

Quote:

Fuck Michael Bay.  Like Spielberg would let daring to trod on Bay's toes so much as make him blink.

They did make the first Transmorphers together...no idea what happened afterwards.

- rexbanner - 01-29-2018

Quote:

Indy's chilling at home, enjoying his retirement, when a knock at the door reveals a robed figure carrying a familiar-looking sword.  "This belongs to you, Last Knight of the Grail."

And off we go.

I like that a great deal. The image of an old Arthurian knight knocking on Indiana Jones's door in the 1970s is really great.

- ryoken - 01-29-2018

lets take this further:

Indiana Jones and the Man of Bronze!

just fucking adapt planetary if that's the case