The Trouble City Forums
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=155331)

- Richard Dickson - 01-29-2018

Quote:

Originally Posted by RexBanner View Post

I like that a great deal. The image of an old Arthurian knight knocking on Indiana Jones's door in the 1970s is really great.

My thinking is that it's not the actual knight, but a druid or some other caretaker.  Since the Grail Knight wouldn't be able to leave the cave without instantly dying of old age, he'd need to have someone come take the sword to Indy.

- ryoken - 01-29-2018

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boone Daniels View Post

just fucking adapt planetary if that's the case

Im more than ok with this.

- Overlord - 01-29-2018

What about Indiana Jones and the Tree of Life?

**you could call it something else to avoid connotations with the 2011 film.

Variations of the Tree of Life myth appear in many cultures, giving Indy an excuse to globe trot.  It has the "rejuvenation, rebirth" angle that could play into an older Indy.  We haven't had any of his adventures set in Africa (well ... Egypt).  Plus, the mythos itself lets you pull any cult/entity out of the mists of the past and put them into the present as quasi-immortal adversaries.

- boone daniels - 01-29-2018

Tree of Life could also tie into the weirdo 60s/70s paganism idea. I'm for it.

- Overlord - 01-29-2018

Quote:

Tree of Life could also tie into the weirdo 60s/70s paganism idea. I'm for it.

Have the villains be 1800s colonialists from Europe (the sap of the tree of life giving them longevity), and the 60s/70s occult/paganism could be their spreading their influence.  Indy is in Oxford, on some sort of lecture tour, a pagan cult comes after him, and we're off.

The thing about the sap of the tree of life is once you've tasted it, you have to keep drinking it or you die.  Indy will have to face that choice in the film.

- boone daniels - 01-29-2018

I like it. Plus, emphasizing the European colonists angle gets you Nazis without actual Nazis (kind of like the Drakka novels).

- user_32 - 01-29-2018

A[quote name="ryoken" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/2280#post_4460852"]
Fuck it. Make this with Del Toro and Spielberg together, cast Tom Cruise as an eldritch controlled scientist/cult leader 
[/quote]

I would actually love to see Tom Cruise play the villain to Ford’s Indiana Jones.

- Overlord - 01-29-2018

Quote:

I like it. Plus, emphasizing the European colonists angle gets you Nazis without actual Nazis (kind of like the Drakka novels).

Proto-Nazis.

Indiana Jones and the Tree of Eden

- shaunh - 01-30-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by User_32 View Post

At least he waited until Anakin was of age until Padme "seduced" him.

Aside from the awkward opening midnight-crowd laughter...

The memory that stands out the most from this moment was me thinking, "How you gonna throw on that number, pose next to a fireplace in the dark, then act confused over the guy about to have a heart attack!"

Sorry for the derail. Anakin's not the only one suffering here.

- user_32 - 01-30-2018

AShe is in all our very souls, tormenting us.

- noirheaven - 02-01-2018

Looks like they are tentatively planning a spring-summer 2019 shoot. During which Spielberg will cast West Side Story (probably to roll in 2020) and, in the meantime, if he's struck by another passion project out of left field like The Post, something small and easily done (by his herculean standards) he could potentially quickly shoot that later this year, but the odds are he spends '18 preparing for the two epics to come.

Also makes it sound like the screenplay's really not ready as it stands right now although Koepp seems confident that they generally know where they are going with the story at this point.

- fatherdude - 02-01-2018

AIs this sourced from some new article?

If the script still needs work, then the delay is reasonable, but man, I do not look at Harrison Ford and see a guy who needs to age eighteen more months before he stars in an Indiana Jones movie.

- dephremogaster - 02-15-2018

I just hope they bring back the groundhogs from Crystal Skull. Three different scenes of them goofily reacting to things was nowhere near enough.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 03-09-2018

A new article from Variety makes it sound definite that INDY 5 is Spielberg's next movie.

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/steven-spielbergs-west-side-story-1202722086/

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - carnotaur3 - 03-09-2018

INDIANA JONES AND THE CAN'T WE JUST GET THIS OVER WITH ARTIFACT

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 03-10-2018

(03-09-2018, 09:37 PM)fatherdude Wrote: A new article from Variety makes it sound definite that INDY 5 is Spielberg's next movie.

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/steven-spielbergs-west-side-story-1202722086/

As it should be.  Literally every day that passes is a day that the completion of this film becomes more of a task for several of the most key players (Ford and Williams).

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - carnotaur3 - 03-10-2018

At this point, I'd want to see the film for Spielberg, Ford, and Williams' sake. It may not be good, but at least it'll satisfy that curious itch of "what if" if any one of these three ever passed away before it was made.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 03-10-2018

Yeah, for better or for worse this will be the last crack at Indy by the original team, and it seems they're coming from a place of wanting to make up for CRYSTAL SKULL. I want to see what that looks like. Then Disney can head into reboot land.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - bradito - 03-10-2018

I think it should just be a movie about Indy giving a class lecture about all of his adventures.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 03-19-2018

Spielberg says filming begins in April 2019 in the UK. Thank goodness we are back overseas.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/931105-indiana-jones-5-filming-to-start-in-april-2019

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - carnotaur3 - 03-19-2018

"...but then we location move to Hawaii!"

UGHHHH!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 03-19-2018

There is no excuse not to make a good movie here. Koepp had reported in the fall that the script was nearing completion. They have twelve more months to polish it to a shine, prep the hell out of the production, and keep Ford off of airplanes.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - ryoken - 03-19-2018

(03-10-2018, 03:11 PM)bradito Wrote: I think it should just be a movie about Indy giving a class lecture about all of his adventures.

I still support the "Indy moves to Leipzig, only to fort him and his students to realize mid class that he may had killed one or more of his students parents or brethen during his nazi killing adventures".
Cue chase scene.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - carnotaur3 - 03-19-2018

(03-19-2018, 11:28 AM)fatherdude Wrote: ...and keep Ford off of airplanes.

I thought we wanted REAL stunts and PRACTICAL fx?!   Rolleyes

But seriously, how long have they been working on the script? Seems like three years at this point.

Koepp was hired this time in 2016, so it will be three years by the time the cameras roll. Since there is no indication of infighting about the story this go round, that should be plenty of time. I hope to hell Lucas more than Koepp was to blame for the story issues last time, because Koepp and Spielberg seem to have had a free hand with this one.

Barring something unexpected, I am not as concerned about Ford's health now as I am about John Williams and Michael Kahn. These guys are in their 80s, and I would hate to lose either of them considering this project is meant to represent the last Indy from the original team.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 03-19-2018

(03-19-2018, 11:53 AM)fatherdude Wrote: Barring something unexpected, I am not as concerned about Ford's health now as I am about John Williams and Michael Kahn. These guys are in their 80s, and I would hate to lose either of them considering this project is meant to represent the last Indy from the original team.

This is my concern, too. I'd feel a lot better if production was getting underway this year.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - shaunh - 03-19-2018

All of these guys are going to eventually die, so the timing will never be convenient.

Captain Obvious: Out!

I'm sure Lucas was asked by Spielberg for some ideas. These guys are buddies, not enemies. But I'm also sure Spielberg did not feel beholden to Lucas this go around because it is not his company anymore.

Lucas seems to be taking pride in his public declarations of being involved with nothing, but yeah, who knows what goes on behind closed doors.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Dent6084 - 03-19-2018

(03-19-2018, 01:50 PM)fatherdude Wrote: Lucas seems to be taking pride in his public declarations of being involved with nothing, but yeah, who knows what goes on behind closed doors.

The one thing Lucas seems to be really involved with these days is his museum, which coincidentally finally broke ground in LA last week.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 03-19-2018

With Spielberg and Lucas being as close as they are, I have every certainty that Spielberg has been running ideas by him. The difference here is that Spielberg is not required to accept Lucas' suggestions.

Exactly. I mean, it could be just Spielberg calling him up by phone or just having lunch together and then ideas start to pop up. If you're around somebody a bit, and you were both involved in a previous property, it's gonna pop up.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - shaunh - 03-19-2018

Perhaps he's speaking with George to determine what not to do this time.

(I keed.)

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 03-26-2018

An interviewer got Spielberg to speak about Indy 5 for about a minute and a half.  The takeaways:

1) The script is still being worked on.
2) The story is set in the 1960s.
3) Indy probably won't meet The Beatles.

It's all at the top of this radio interview:

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - boone daniels - 03-26-2018

INDIANA JONES VS. THE WICKER MAN, just do it, Steve.