The Trouble City Forums
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=155331)

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - carnotaur3 - 05-28-2018

Been watching the Indy films on the Paramount channel. It’s hit me that there hasn’t been a villain since Raiders that has challenged Jones more personally. Given Ford’s age, it might be appropriate to have the villain be a young archeologist - a new, naive, but expertly and technologically advanced new blood that challenges the vulnerability of Indy’s old way of uncovering artifacts... and fisticuffs. We love Indy because he’s seemingly outmatched, and now that his age can’t really be ignored, it’s about time they used that to the film's advantage.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 05-28-2018

That could be an interesting angle.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 05-29-2018

"Hi everyone. This is Professor Henry Jones Jr. Please LIKE, SHARE, and SUBSCRIBE to my patreon page to show my competition that you can still teach an old dog new tricks..."

(turns off webcam)

"Jesus Christ... it's the years AND the mileage..."

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - carnotaur3 - 05-29-2018

Vintage, 1960’s YouTube channels were the bomb!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 05-29-2018

damned street racing young punks!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - arjen rudd - 05-29-2018

That sounds like the role Ryan Gosling kinda maybe hinted at pursuing.

And also the villain in Cars 3

Armie Hammer could be a good foil for Indiana McQueen!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - scottieferguson - 05-29-2018

I caught a bit of Raiders over the weekend before leaving for work. There was something conspicuously missing from the promo spots for said marathon. Not sure what... scratches skull, sorry, head.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mola ram - 05-29-2018

It's officially been a decade since Crystal Skull came out.

Happy 10.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - headless fett - 05-29-2018

Hard to believe it's been almost 30 years since the last Indiana Jones movie came out. Hopefully they'll do another one someday.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 05-30-2018

(05-29-2018, 02:07 AM)mola ram Wrote: It's officially been a decade since Crystal Skull came out.

Happy 10.

Goodness. I joined CHUD around the same time that movie came out to discuss it. Hard to believe a whole decade has already passed.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Paul C - 05-30-2018

I'm pretty sure the thing that finally spurred me to join was people ragging on Last Crusade too much in the pre-release threads, and I was like "this madness must not stand". And I've been fighting that battle ever since...

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 05-30-2018

Last Crusade is so nice!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Judas Booth - 05-30-2018

I just watched LAST CRUSADE a week ago while killing time on a flight. It's not quite up to RAIDERS in terms of quality, but it's the closest in terms of tone and it's a lot of fun. Connery, in particular, is charming as hell in it and alleviates most of the problems that the film has through sheer force of will.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Misfit - 05-30-2018

(05-28-2018, 10:33 PM)carnotaur3 Wrote: Been watching the Indy films on the Paramount channel. It’s hit me that there hasn’t been a villain since Raiders that has challenged Jones more personally. Given Ford’s age, it might be appropriate to have the villain be a young archeologist - a new, naive, but expertly and technologically advanced new blood that challenges the vulnerability of Indy’s old way of uncovering artifacts... and fisticuffs. We love Indy because he’s seemingly outmatched, and now that his age can’t really be ignored, it’s about time they used that to the film's advantage.

I know it could be really cliche but...Belloq's son?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Stale Elvis - 05-30-2018

LAST CRUSADE has a blinding soundtrack. The Grail themes are sublime.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Judas Booth - 05-30-2018

(05-30-2018, 01:14 PM)Stale Elvis Wrote: LAST CRUSADE has a blinding soundtrack. The Grail themes are sublime.

I particularly enjoy the score during the opening River Phoenix section.  It's probably Williams at his most playful.

Also, the 'here are the Nazis' recurring leitmotif is really strong.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Stale Elvis - 05-30-2018

(05-30-2018, 01:25 PM)Judas Booth Wrote:
(05-30-2018, 01:14 PM)Stale Elvis Wrote: LAST CRUSADE has a blinding soundtrack. The Grail themes are sublime.

I particularly enjoy the score during the opening River Phoenix section.  It's probably Williams at his most playful.

That first part of the score Indy's First Adventure is my least favourite of the whole soundtrack - it's good but it's soooo hectic to listen to outside of the movie.

The tracks The Penitent Man Will Pass and Father's Study are just the best and take me right back to that summer of '89.

Funny how Williams is so good at making themes for the bad guys:

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - bartleby_scriven - 05-30-2018

(05-29-2018, 02:07 AM)mola ram Wrote: It's officially been a decade since Crystal Skull came out.

Happy 10.

A beautiful young and naive Bart's defense of Crystal Skull in December 2008: http://citizens.trouble.city/showthread.php?tid=108066&pid=2463228#pid2463228

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 05-30-2018

I just wanted to get on the record as loving LAST CRUSADE.  I think it was a welcome return to form after the absolutely bonkers - and absolutely wonderful - TEMPLE OF DOOM.  It really feels like a very fitting conclusion to a very satisfying trilogy.  RAIDERS is obviously the king, but TOD and LC are only a couple of notches below.  Adventure cinema simply doesn't get much better than those three movies.

The primary Grail theme demonstrates Williams' gift for religiosity and reverence.  I particularly love the two statements of it that begin at 1:54 in this track...

The first one is weighty and almost ominous, then the second brings in these luminous strings that feel so cathartic and mythic.

(05-30-2018, 01:25 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: Also, the 'here are the Nazis' recurring leitmotif is really strong.
I prefer the more abrasive Nazi motif from RAIDERS, but the one in LAST CRUSADE definitely has an earworm quality that stays with you.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 05-30-2018

(05-30-2018, 11:29 AM)Paul C Wrote: I'm pretty sure the thing that finally spurred me to join was people ragging on Last Crusade too much in the pre-release threads, and I was like "this madness must not stand". And I've been fighting that battle ever since...

I've definitely softened on THE LAST CRUSADE over the years. The Ford/Connery dynamic really makes the movie. My gripe then was that it wasn't kinetic and dirty as RAIDERS and TEMPLE OF DOOM and that it cribbed too many elements from RAIDERS, but I now accept the third film for what it is and understand that Spielberg had become a different filmmaker by that point. He wasn't just gonna do another Indy adventure, he needed that father/son dynamic. Seems that's what he tried continuing with CRYSTAL SKULL, but with lesser results.

I still don't think it's this giant disaster of a film that so many make it out to be, but can understand after nearly 20 years it's not the film to bring back Indy. Really hoping Indy V plays out more properly. I will not expect a RAIDERS, but hope we get at least a solid send off better than CRYSTAL SKULL.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 05-30-2018

There are people that don't like The Last Crusade?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - ravi - 05-30-2018

(05-30-2018, 09:03 PM)Overlord Wrote: There are people that don't like The Last Crusade?

It's well embraced by the public and mainstream critics, but on movie message boards, there's a sizable group of film geeks who bash on the film. We even used to have a few vocal Crusade haters on CHUD many years ago. Remember Litmus for example?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 05-30-2018

(05-30-2018, 09:06 PM)ravi Wrote:
(05-30-2018, 09:03 PM)Overlord Wrote: There are people that don't like The Last Crusade?

It's well embraced by the public and mainstream critics, but on movie message boards, there's a sizable group of film geeks who bash on the film. We even used to have a few vocal Crusade haters on CHUD many years ago. Remember Litmus for example?

I don't recall him personally, but I've heard of his test.

Back then I used to call bullshit on the Indy films being referred to as this great trilogy as I thought RAIDERS was the only genuinely great film, with the sequels varying in quality. This was before CRYSTAL SKULL and the "there's only a trilogy" sentiment fans adopted.

But I also think post-STAR WARS the concept of trilogies has become too idealized among fandom. As if a trilogy is this perfect set of films and what many filmmakers should strive for when it comes to a series of films. Like when Disney hyped up Rian Johnson's new trilogy of Star Wars films. What we call the "original trilogy" wasn't even by design, it was because Lucas got exhausted and decided put a break on making more Star Wars films after JEDI indefinitely.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 05-30-2018

Not in my experience, but at some point on the internet it became fashionable to love TEMPLE only by bashing CRUSADE, or vice versa, when most sane people quietly felt that they are both of about equal quality.

TEMPLE's better though.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - ravi - 05-30-2018

Temple's certainly fun and has great moments. However, it has flaws like poor pacing, the lack of a solid treasure hunt (all Indy does is stumble into the temple by accident), Willie's shrillness and the insensitive monkey brain feast which relegate it to third place for me.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 05-30-2018

TEMPLE has the better adventure.

CRUSADE has the better arc.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - commodorejohn - 05-30-2018

I'm gonna be that guy and say that about the only things Temple has going for it are A. Harrison Ford in his prime and B. Steven Spielberg firing on all cylinders during the action bits. It definitely has its highs, but its lulls are by turns awkward and uncomfortable or just marking time, and none of the cast have the kind of chemistry Ford and Connery showed in Crusade. Its highs may be higher, but Crusade is a vastly more consistently enjoyable film.

Plus, that Grail theme. Damn, John Williams, you weren't content with merely composing the ultimate "eerie reverential awe" theme for Raiders, you had to follow it up with the ultimate "sacred quest" theme?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - bartleby_scriven - 05-30-2018

The problem with Temple of Doom is Mola Ram doesn’t show up until like an hour and a half in. He looks cool and rips out a heart, but what’s his motivation? Something about toppling the Christian God. Pretty vague stakes.

The actual sequence in the temple, with the Thuggees and slave children, is shorter than most people remember and strangely truncated.

(05-30-2018, 10:29 PM)bartleby_scriven Wrote: The problem with Temple of Doom is Mola Ram doesn’t show up until like an hour and a half in. He looks cool and rips out a heart, but what’s his motivation? Something about toppling the Christian God. Pretty vague stakes.

I feel actor Amrish Puri does a good job as Mola Ram and appears to be having fun. The writers failed him though by introducing him an hour in and we never see him get all five stones, so the battle never has a sense of urgency like when Indy's racing against the Nazis.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 05-30-2018

Mola Ram's great! But yes, perhaps a bit underused.

Even so, I have to love a baddie who's so clearly enjoying being evil. He's almost always smiling or laughing, even at the very end when he and Indy are hanging from the bridge and he's trying to tear out Indy's heart. Plus he gets a delightfully silly "adventure movie" death.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - simbob - 05-31-2018

(05-30-2018, 09:01 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote:
(05-30-2018, 11:29 AM)Paul C Wrote: I'm pretty sure the thing that finally spurred me to join was people ragging on Last Crusade too much in the pre-release threads, and I was like "this madness must not stand". And I've been fighting that battle ever since...

I've definitely softened on THE LAST CRUSADE over the years. The Ford/Connery dynamic really makes the movie. My gripe then was that it wasn't kinetic and dirty as RAIDERS and TEMPLE OF DOOM and that it cribbed too many elements from RAIDERS, but I now accept the third film for what it is and understand that Spielberg had become a different filmmaker by that point. He wasn't just gonna do another Indy adventure, he needed that father/son dynamic. Seems that's what he tried continuing with CRYSTAL SKULL, but with lesser results.

I still don't think it's this giant disaster of a film that so many make it out to be, but can understand after nearly 20 years it's not the film to bring back Indy. Really hoping Indy V plays out more properly. I will not expect a RAIDERS, but hope we get at least a solid send off better than CRYSTAL SKULL.

The creation of the PG-13 rating really hit Indy hard, especially when it comes to Crystal Skull. It's kind of funny watching them all back-to-back, seeing what they could get away with in Raiders of the Lost Ark, and where it ends up in Crystal Skull.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - arjen rudd - 05-31-2018

Funny how little that matters now. This next Indy could have a scene where Indy rips off a guy’s arm and beats him to death with it, and it would be PG-13