The Trouble City Forums
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=155331)

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 06-01-2018

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Judas Booth - 06-01-2018

[Image: oAxVD.gif]

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - hammerhead - 06-01-2018

This gpddamn thread.

Anyway, I think the most commonly-identified origin for "darlink" is Eva Gabor on Green Acres.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 06-01-2018

thank you hammerhead!!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 06-01-2018

No! Don't help him!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 06-01-2018

it's too late!

the information has already been uploaded to my neural network

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - shaunh - 06-01-2018

(06-01-2018, 03:20 PM)MichaelM Wrote:
(06-01-2018, 03:02 PM)shaunh Wrote: I like you.

[Image: sad_face.gif]

Watch the Making of Alien 3 multi-hour documentary, followed by a rewatch of Alien 3, and all shall be forgiven.

I've watched the special edition of the film, and watched at least some of the BTS stuff.

I'm good with that.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - shaunh - 06-01-2018

(FYI this is from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory)

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - carnotaur3 - 06-01-2018

I thought there was only one Chocolate Factory movie directed by that guy who used to make Batman films?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 06-01-2018

(06-01-2018, 01:22 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: But then again I'm always pretty annoyed by how much Spielberg seems to marginalize TEMPLE OF DOOM whether consciously or not.

It has to be conscious. It annoys me, too.

(06-01-2018, 03:03 PM)fatherdude Wrote: Fact: TEMPLE OF DOOM has the best soundtrack.

I still opt for the harder edge of RAIDERS, but TEMPLE OF DOOM is arguably the most frenzied, over-the-top thing John Williams has ever done, and it's spectacular.

(06-01-2018, 05:41 PM)carnotaur3 Wrote: I thought there was only one Chocolate Factory movie directed by that guy who used to make Batman films?

[Image: dwtroy.gif]

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - bartleby_scriven - 06-03-2018

Nooj recently turned me on to this blog Temple of the Seven Golden Camels, by a storyboard artist who works for Disney. This particular entry from 2008 (at the time Crystal Skull was coming out and the author, Mark Kennedy, has several posts on Indy from that time) is a really great character examination of Indy in Raiders: https://sevencamels.blogspot.com/2008/07/why-character-arcs-in-raiders-makes.html

It really contextualizes the first scene with Marcus:

Marcus - "Indiana, yes, the museum will buy them as usual, no questions asked. Yes, they are nice."
Indy - "They're worth at least the price of a ticket to Marakesh."

It's worth noting that, as far as I remember, this question of cost is never brought up again in the series. Really shows how different the character was approached at first.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 06-03-2018

It's been a while since he's updated his blog. I also don't know if he's still at Disney.

But I learned a lot about visual storytelling principles from his blog over the years.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - bartleby_scriven - 06-03-2018

I believe he’s still head of story, Walt Disney Feature Animation. He’s described as such as recently as Zootopia.

Perhaps he’ll get to do storyboards for Indy 5!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - filmnerdjamie - 06-03-2018

*Reads the last several pages*

[Image: aHR0cCUzQSUyRiUyRnJ1bmVhdHJlcGVhdC5jb20l...4&format=j]

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mola ram - 06-04-2018

(06-01-2018, 01:22 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: One thing I was annoyed with about the ending of CRYSTAL SKULL was the absence of Short Round at Indy's wedding. But then again I'm always pretty annoyed by how much Spielberg seems to marginalize TEMPLE OF DOOM whether consciously or not.

It is rather annoying. Dude should be more proud of Temple, from a directing standpoint it's one of the best things he's ever done.

If there's any sequel Spielberg should be apologizing for, it's The Lost World.

(05-30-2018, 09:06 PM)ravi Wrote:
(05-30-2018, 09:03 PM)Overlord Wrote: There are people that don't like The Last Crusade?

It's well embraced by the public and mainstream critics, but on movie message boards, there's a sizable group of film geeks who bash on the film. We even used to have a few vocal Crusade haters on CHUD many years ago. Remember Litmus for example?

A lot of 90's kids hold Last Crusade in very high regard, even rank it over Raiders.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - ravi - 06-04-2018

(06-04-2018, 02:34 PM)mola ram Wrote: A lot of 90's kids hold Last Crusade in very high regard, even rank it over Raiders.

Seriously dude? Crusade was seen as being a return to form even back in the 80's. It's got nothing to do with growing up in the 90's and more to do with many (myself included) finding it to be the most satisfying of the sequels.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Darkmite - 06-04-2018

So help me I read this whole thread. Big Grin

People who are complaining about all the fan service origins in Solo should be happy they take place over 2 hours and not (holy crap) 8 MINUTES like the TLC prologue.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 06-05-2018

(06-03-2018, 12:05 PM)bartleby_scriven Wrote: Nooj recently turned me on 

[Image: bujbyKr.gif]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=884]
[Image: attachment.php?aid=885]

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - cd underbelly - 06-05-2018

What the hell Nooj, you gonna spam that same exact post in every thread now? lol

Can I take credit for inspiring you, or was that merely coincidence?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 06-05-2018

BARRY's post in the KENOBI thread inspired it!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - cd underbelly - 06-05-2018

Nooooooooooooooooooooo!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - bartleby_scriven - 06-05-2018

(06-05-2018, 01:43 AM)Nooj Wrote:
(06-03-2018, 12:05 PM)bartleby_scriven Wrote: Nooj recently turned me on 

[Image: bujbyKr.gif]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=884]
[Image: attachment.php?aid=885]

hawt

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - rexbanner - 06-05-2018

(06-04-2018, 11:23 PM)Darkmite Wrote: So help me I read this whole thread. Big Grin

People who are complaining about all the fan service origins in Solo should be happy they take place over 2 hours and not (holy crap) 8 MINUTES like the TLC prologue.

I think - hope? - that Solo's box office problems might be giving Disney execs pause about rebooting Indiana Jones without Ford. If a single actor has played a role, especially one that originated with him, for 40 years, the poor bastard tasked with stepping into his shoes can't fail to come across as 'not Indy'.

I retain high hopes for Indy V though. If all they do is ditch KOTCS's bloomy, washed out cinematography, it'll be a big step forward.

EDIT: Having read that back to myself, I've realised how stupid that sounds. There's no way in hell Lucasfilm sits on the Indiana Jones name for long post-Ford.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 06-05-2018

Was the television series really that bad?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 06-05-2018

The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles is worth a look, but it's essentially educational programming aimed at young audiences. It was also a pretty expensive show that genuinely shot around the globe, but they had to pay for it by shooting in 16mm...oh yeah, and by getting cancelled in the middle of the second season.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 06-05-2018

(06-05-2018, 04:28 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: Was the television series really that bad?

It was terrible.  It represented a fundamental misunderstanding of the character (Indy should more closely resemble his flashback in Last Crusade or his portrayal in ToD) and was poorly conceived from the get-go, including an abysmal choice as lead actor.  

That being said, if you want to check it out, I'd recommend the following (this list is "all-inclusive")

1.)The first "half" of the Phantom Train of Doom (they combined two different episodes into one for a home "movie" version ... in any event, it's the first hour or so, until the "Train" storyline is concluded.)

2.)Daredevils of the Desert:  The best cast, best acted, most complete story arc of the entire Indy television run. Don't look up the actors/actresses that appear. It's better to be surprised.

3.)Treasure of the Peacock's Eye.  Literally the ONLY treasure-hunting episode.  It suffers from the same problem as Phantom Train of Doom in that they combined two different episodes into one for the home-release and only the first "half" or so is good.  This story ties back into Temple of Doom in a couple of interesting ways.  

**Honorable mention to the Dracula episode, which is not a good episode of television, but is worth watching for the simple outlandishness of it all.  It's also the only Indy T.V. episode to deal with the occult. That's right, there was only one "treasure hunting" Indy episode and only one "occult" episode.  

There are no other episodes that have more than a few good moments. They actually had Harrison Ford return to do a cameo and not only is it for arguably the very worst episode of the entire series (Mystery of the Blues), Ford's cameo is godawful and is capped off by an absolutely idiotic and unfunny denouement.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - hammerhead - 06-05-2018

All hopes for a viable Young Indy franchise died with River Phoenix.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - slim - 06-05-2018

I remember liking "Mystery of the Blues". Indy's college roomie was Eliot Ness.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Dent6084 - 06-28-2018

Jon Kasdan has taken over the script from David Koepp.

http://collider.com/indiana-jones-5-jonathan-kasdan/?utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=collidersocial&utm_medium=social

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 06-28-2018

heheheh

I hope the movie is the Last Crusade opening for the entire 2 hour runtime!

OBVIOUS JOKES

freeman is going to be so happy about this news!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - atomtastic - 06-28-2018

Anyone is a step up from Koepp!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 06-28-2018

It did seem like Koepp wouldn't have been able to continue juggling this project with prepping that Blumhouse movie he is shooting this fall.  At any rate he had been on Indy 5 for over two years, and reported last fall that everyone was close to satisfied, so he had probably made whatever contribution to the project he was capable of.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Paul C - 06-28-2018

Can't say I'll miss Koepp. He's had his moments but he's one of those blandly competent journeyman types that big names like Spielberg fall back on a little too easily IMO. Like John Logan or Steve Zaillian.

I'd still quite like to see this happen, but I'm not holding my breath at this point. This cycle of "everything's going great, we're all happy with the script!" followed by starting over with a new writer feels a bit too familiar, and it's harder to get away with that kind of dilly dallying when your star's pushing 80.