The Trouble City Forums
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=155331)

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 01-26-2019

I do firmly believe that unless Spielberg feels he can deliver something great, he's not going to do it. This is not a movie that will be made out of obligation (as I kind of think CRYSTAL SKULL was) if it does get made.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - carnotaur3 - 01-26-2019

No question, Skull was made to please Lucas. It was his baby, and not Spielberg's. If there is any obligation left for him, it's washing the taste of that mediocrity out of our mouths. But I'm with Belloq here, it's either gonna be great or not going into production.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - noirheaven - 01-26-2019

See, I agree that Spielberg wants to make the best film he can. He seems truly motivated here judging only from afar, whereas with Crystal Skull it never quite came together for him, even when he went on little monologues about how he wanted to revisit the Marion-Indy relationship and make it like the 1970s film Robin and Marian. At the same time just as there was a powerful entity that was driving the film more than anyone else in his friend George Lucas there is another arguably even more powerful entity genuinely calling the shots here, and while I'm sure Disney wants to be as accommodating and pleasing to Spielberg as possible, they also want this film made likely no later than in the next couple of years because they want to start making oodles and oodles of money with firstly the Spielberg-Ford sendoff and subsequently with all of the reboot movies and spin-offs we all know are ineluctably coming down the road.

The good news is that Spielberg seems to have at least a large part of his heart in this one. West Side Story is reportedly viewed by him as his next Lincoln, i.e., something intensely personal. So the fact that at one point he was actively attempting to choose which of the two films--West Side Story or Indiana Jones 5--to make next indicates that no matter how blase he plays it he wants to make this soon and he also recognizes that for Ford, and more especially John Williams and Michael Kahn, the clock is ticking.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - arjen rudd - 01-26-2019

Also, if he wants to just make a pulpy action movie, I figure he’ll make that Blackhawks thing instead.

Which he might just do, at this point. Time is running out on Indy, and it got sidelined for West Side Story.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - carnotaur3 - 01-26-2019

Michael Kahn, shit, is that guy still editing on a Steenbeck?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - noirheaven - 01-26-2019

(01-26-2019, 09:21 PM)carnotaur3 Wrote: Michael Kahn, shit, is that guy still editing on a Steenbeck?

Haha. Moviola. Love him.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 05-01-2019

Indy 5 gets yet another screenwriter. Jon Kasdan has been replaced by Dan Fogleman of CARS and THIS IS US fame.  The rumor is that this is a substantial rewrite, although Kasdan has apparently been tapped to head a WILLOW television series for Disney's streaming service - which is insane news in and of itself.  The Kasdan script, allegedly, concerned the so-called Nazi gold train in Lower Selisia.  Making Star Wars has the scoop:

https://makingstarwars.net/2019/05/dan-fogelman-to-write-indiana-jones-5-what-was-the-premise-of-the-kasdan-indy-script/

Whatever they're doing, they better have it done by the time Spielberg has wrapped WEST SIDE STORY.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 05-01-2019

Fogleman does not inspire any confidence or excitement on my behalf WHATSOEVER.

The Nazi train could have been a promising element of a plot.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 05-01-2019

The new Indiana Jones story....from the writer of THIS IS US!

Anyone else get chills?!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 05-01-2019

I dunno, I'm still so grateful Koepp isn't writing this I don't care if it's the writer of KIRK CAMERON'S SAVING CHRISTMAS at this point.

Of course, the continuing turnover of writers isn't doing much to mollify my skepticism that this will get made. The window is truly shrinking now.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 05-01-2019

(05-01-2019, 08:19 PM)fatherdude Wrote: I dunno, I'm still so grateful Koepp isn't writing this I don't care if it's the writer of KIRK CAMERON'S SAVING CHRISTMAS at this point.

Of course, the continuing turnover of writers isn't doing much to mollify my skepticism that this will get made.  The window is truly shrinking now.

They need to do the Fountain of Youth as the MacGuffin so they can de-age Indy MCU style.

Hell, just give me a whole movie of de-aged Indy.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - history buff - 05-02-2019

(05-01-2019, 08:47 PM)Overlord Wrote:
(05-01-2019, 08:19 PM)fatherdude Wrote: I dunno, I'm still so grateful Koepp isn't writing this I don't care if it's the writer of KIRK CAMERON'S SAVING CHRISTMAS at this point.

Of course, the continuing turnover of writers isn't doing much to mollify my skepticism that this will get made.  The window is truly shrinking now.

They need to do the Fountain of Youth as the MacGuffin so they can de-age Indy MCU style.

Hell, just give me a whole movie of de-aged Indy.

I like that idea, give me Indy circa Raiders squaring off against Nazis. If they went The Irishman route and de-aged Ford for the entire movie, the budget would be through the roof (though its not like Disney can't afford it) plus who the hell knows how much longer it would take before it ever makes into theaters.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - filmnerdjamie - 05-02-2019

This is never going to happen (with Spielberg and Ford, at least).

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 05-02-2019

(05-02-2019, 01:31 AM)filmnerdjamie Wrote: This is never going to happen (with Spielberg and Ford, at least).

I agree with nooj that they should recast with Chris Pratt and find a committed younger director.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Judas Booth - 05-02-2019

Recast with Chris Pine.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - filmnerdjamie - 05-02-2019

Dan Stevens (assuming he doesn't take on Batman).

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 05-02-2019

Chris Pratt is just all wrong for Indy. I can’t tell if so many people either just don’t get Pratt or don’t get Indy.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 05-02-2019

hahaha go ahead and cast mr peanutbutter

see how that goes

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - freeman - 05-02-2019

Who??

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - superlaser - 05-02-2019

Pine is the superior Chris for the part.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 05-02-2019

Fuck, I never even thought of casting Pine in the role. And he's actually almost exactly the same age as Ford was for RAIDERS.

I'd be on board for that.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Misfit - 05-02-2019

Hey, Chris Klein is only 40. *everybody beats the shit out of me*

I've been optimistic about a 5th Indy because I felt like Spielberg must have a really great idea, but if they're having this much trouble getting a script I'm starting to think it's time to leave well enough alone. I can't really see the LIFE ITSELF guy being the missing magic ingredient.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 05-02-2019

The struggle is doubly interesting because with Lucas presumably not involved, you're spared the usual impediment of Spielberg and Lucas shooting down each other's ideas.  Maybe Bob Iger is taking the Lucas role this time.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - commodorejohn - 05-02-2019

(05-02-2019, 05:52 AM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: Chris Pratt is just all wrong for Indy. I can’t tell if so many people either just don’t get Pratt or don’t get Indy.
I've said it before, but he'd be a fine choice for an Indy spoof. He's just all wrong for the real deal.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - superlaser - 05-02-2019

Pratt would be good as Indy's fuck-up son trying and failing to be as cool as his father.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Stale Elvis - 05-02-2019

Seann. William. Scott.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 05-02-2019

I am disappointed to see so many of you eager to give up on a Ford-headlined INDY 5 before he and Spielberg officially throw in the towel.  You do realize replacing Indy with a young actor is going to happen regardless?  This project is supposed to be about the opportunity to end the "original recipe" series on a shot that doesn't see Shia LaBeouf walking out of a church. There will be plenty of time to fan cast the shitty reboot after Spielberg redeems what he broke, or at least takes his best swing at it.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - sean blackwell - 05-02-2019

That can still happen if you simply refuse to acknowledge that film's existence. Making a 5th one just feels like trying to clean ketchup out of the carpet with a handful of french fries...

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - atomtastic - 05-02-2019

Olyphant can still do it. A little hair dye and he's good to go.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 05-02-2019

(05-02-2019, 09:33 AM)commodorejohn Wrote:
(05-02-2019, 05:52 AM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: Chris Pratt is just all wrong for Indy. I can’t tell if so many people either just don’t get Pratt or don’t get Indy.
I've said it before, but he'd be a fine choice for an Indy spoof. He's just all wrong for the real deal.

What made Ford's characterization of Indy work was that he played it as if he was an old man in a younger body, whereas Pratt's appeal is the opposite. Pratt is great in comedic parts like Starlord, but Indy has never been a particularly "funny" character.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - carnotaur3 - 05-02-2019

I don't know how "inspiring" a train full of Gold is. Or how it could hold any supernatural or religious powers.

How did that end up becoming a script?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Judas Booth - 05-02-2019

The thing about Ford is that nobody is able to project tired/beat up better than him. That effect is inherent to Indy and his appeal. Pratt doesn't have that ability at all. Pine has it to a degree and can work on it to get the characterization right.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - ryoken - 05-02-2019

Im kinda wondering why instead of a fifth Indy film, none one has tried to give Dirk Pitt a third try at big screen success.

Also, I cant be the only one dreading the posibility of a digitally de-aged Indy film with Ford, right?

I think Cussler himself has completely nixed any further Dirk Pitt movies.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 05-02-2019

(05-02-2019, 11:39 AM)ryoken Wrote: Im kinda wondering why instead of a fifth Indy film, none one has tried to give Dirk Pitt a third try at big screen success.

I'm guessing the character name has something to do with it. I don't think it's something you can get away with, unironically, in 2019. Or even in 2009.