The Trouble City Forums
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=155331)

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - noirheaven - 06-04-2019

(06-03-2019, 07:07 PM)engineer Wrote: Indy and Marion are in Paris on their honeymoon when they happen by a cabaret run by well-known singer, Willie Scott.  Willie's (and maybe/maybe-not Indy's?) daughter Jeanna Scott (Emma Stone) is performing on stage, who soon goes missing trying to help a close friend in trouble: former University of San Francisco professor of antiquities and alleged US fugitive criminal Wan Li (Short Round).  Special appearances by JFK, Fidel Castro, John Coltrane, Rod Serling, the Dalai Lama and the Titan Intercontinental Ballistic Missile.

And, with that, an unnamed Steven Spielberg cameo as he lights Rod Serling's cigarette for him (and therefore helps to kill him).

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 06-04-2019

(06-02-2019, 07:54 PM)Nooj Wrote: also, it’s too late now, but Kyle Chandler would’ve been great as an Indy-type character

Damn, that's really great casting.

And I'm both relieved and surprised to find Chandler's older than me. (Barely, but he is older!)

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 07-28-2019

Let's try this again.  INDY 5 slated to start shooting in London in April 2020:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1155509681894375425

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 07-28-2019

De-age the shit out of him.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fraid uh noman - 07-28-2019

Gonna have to de-age me by the time this comes out..

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 07-28-2019

I will not believe this is happening until they actually start shooting.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Nooj - 07-28-2019

say the line, belloq!!

[Image: small_1526323591_00025.jpg]

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - filmnerdjamie - 07-29-2019

(07-28-2019, 08:33 PM)fatherdude Wrote: Let's try this again.  INDY 5 slated to start shooting in London in April 2020:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1155509681894375425

Steve... Harry...

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=13919368]

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 07-29-2019

As long as Chris Pratt isn’t cast.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 07-29-2019

Should have recast with Chris Pratt.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Amos - 07-29-2019

Michael Shannon

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 07-29-2019

Chris Evans

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Dent6084 - 07-29-2019

Rick Dalton.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - carnotaur3 - 07-29-2019

London. Hm...

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - history buff - 07-30-2019

So many are seemingly against the idea of recasting, which I've never understood. If you get the right actor I'm all for it. Disney is going to milk the Indy character just like they're milking Star Wars, Ford isn't getting any younger so a recast seems inevitable.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Amos - 07-30-2019

It's because the right actor doesn't exist. The raw charisma of 35-year-old Harrison Ford is without equivalent in modern Hollywood.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - noirheaven - 07-30-2019

I'm for a re-casting once Spielberg and Ford, Williams and Khan, etc., have all walked away from the character/franchise.

IF they're going to re-cast now, I can guarantee that Spielberg, et. al. will just walk away. The whole point of this film is effectively to let the Old Guard have one last day in the sun with this protagonist before Disney transmutes it into some ugly, crass money-making machine like they do with everything else.

(Using some hyperbole with that final sentence for fun and effect!)

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Amos - 07-30-2019

Any new Indy under Disney is already DOA because Indiana Jones needs to fucking kill people. It's foundational to the pulpy origins of the character, and they'll almost certainly abandon it as they chase the broadest audience possible.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - noirheaven - 07-30-2019

To be fair, that element seemed to be more or less shaved off of him with Crystal Skull. One of the reasons it felt as though it possessed only so much bite.

Indiana Jones needs Nazis, too. Indy without Nazis feels like Star Wars without a villain in black armor.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - carnotaur3 - 07-30-2019

No Nazis. No soldiers. They should come up with something like the cult from Doom. Something fresh.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Alt-molt - 07-30-2019

Isn't it about time for Indy to go to The 'Nam?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Pither - 07-30-2019

(07-29-2019, 07:41 PM)Dent6084 Wrote: Rick Dalton.

Only if Fabian's not available.

(07-30-2019, 12:54 AM)carnotaur3 Wrote: No Nazis. No soldiers. They should come up with something like the cult from Doom. Something fresh.

It's been said plenty of times, but, Wicker Man cult!

The idea bounced around in this thread many months ago on a British pagan cult works for me. Cast Damian Lewis as the villain, maybe bring Mark Rylance in as an ally (whose fate is probably not a happy one) and you should be off and running. Or not. But yeah, no more Nazis. Or Soviets.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - commodorejohn - 07-30-2019

I suppose if you wanted some continuity, you could lean into the extent to which a lot of the early-to-mid-20th century pagan revivalism movement dovetailed neatly with Aryan-supremacist mythmaking hogwash, but that might be a little overly complex for an Indy film.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 07-30-2019

There doesn't need to be Nazis in every Indy film, just like there didn't need to be Soviets in every James Bond film.

Only now did I remember that a Damian Lewis/Mark Rylance mashup would make for quite the "Wolf Hall" reunion. Funny.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 07-30-2019

I wonder if the hiring of Dan Fogelman is a signal that they are taking the dual narrative approach we have sometimes postulated.  I have never watched THIS IS US, but the multiple timeline thing is the conceit of the show, yes?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Richard Dickson - 07-30-2019

Indy vs. gangsters. We need Indy vs. gangsters.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Stale Elvis - 07-30-2019

a 1960s era Indy vs some Nazi plot to take over Hollywood.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 07-30-2019

I hope the U.S. isn't even referenced in this movie.  CRYSTAL SKULL was shot exclusively here.  Staying overseas should be part of the comprehensive course correction any worthy fifth film will represent.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 07-30-2019

Yeah, I'd like to see Indy out of the States as much as possible. Put him in locations that will appear almost timeless.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - carnotaur3 - 07-30-2019

I hope we never see the college again. They've mined that nostalgia for three films. Just have it start somewhere else and let the trek play out.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - noirheaven - 08-01-2019

I'm fine with Jones returning to the United States and that college, but only in the film's epilogue, the way the wedding service was Crystal Skull's. Or something that is as iconic but with a somehow-slightly-original flavor as the sunset shot that closes Last Crusade.

But, yeah, 98% of this adventure story needs to be set somewhere else.

There were rumblings the last few days that the script is being beefed up right now as Spielberg gets periodical updates while shooting WSS. That should be the case with filming reportedly set to begin in April--only eight months away now.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fraid uh noman - 08-01-2019

I've always liked the idea (I can't even remember whose it was) of it ending with the Idol from Raiders in a high tech place being guarded by laser alarms and all kinds of stuff that they could've had by the 70's-80s and Indy breaking in, re-stealing it...the alarms not going off and him grinning and leaving..