The Trouble City Forums
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=155331)

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 08-01-2019

Darabont sorta had a gag along those lines in his INDY 4 script, where a drunken, pink-slipped Indy attempts to swipe the monkey idol from Brody's museum, only to trigger the alarm.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fraid uh noman - 08-01-2019

I don't think I'd play it that way. And it'd totally be silly fan service. But, bookending it with something that looks like it's out of a Mission: Impossible movie I think would give it a similar thing to the end of Last Crusade. It's insane with Indy's timeline almost catching up with the actual release date of the real first movie.

If I didn't end it that way, I'd probably re-do the entire first scene from Raiders but when it shows Indy's face it's Chris Pratt. And then the camera backs out of the screen to a filled movie theater with old Indy in the audience, shaking his head like, "what is this bullshit?"

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Neil Spurn - 08-01-2019

I love that idea, Fraid!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 09-10-2019

A story is making the rounds that the writers of A QUIET PLACE were invited by Lucasfilm to pitch on STAR WARS and INDIANA JONES.  They ultimately turned down being assimilated into the franchise Borg, and I think this spitballing would have been for post-Ford projects as opposed to INDIANA JONES 5, which we can only hope has a script that is at the spell-checking phase, but it's interesting nonetheless.

WEST SIDE STORY will wrap in a few weeks, so it's kind of now or never for INDIANA JONES 5.  The thing is slated for an April 2020 shoot, so if this movie is getting made, we should be getting meaningful updates in the near future about a completed script and/or prep work getting underway.  Any "delay" that occurs now, whether it be script problems or Spielberg deciding to squeeze in another project, is cancellation by another name.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 09-10-2019

This will never happen.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Judas Booth - 09-10-2019

I'm more and more convinced that this will never happen either. Years and years of punting while Harrison continues to get older (and he's starting to show his age, too) makes me think that whatever window that they had for making this has passed.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 09-10-2019

I agree but I was mostly just taking the piss.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Evi - 09-10-2019

I hope it happens. Best case it makes me feel better about Skull Island and ends the series on a high note, worst case it remains a "trilogy". They've already failed to recapture the magic once so I wouldn't feel too bad if it happened again.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Judas Booth - 09-10-2019

I don't know.  I look at Harrison in clips like this and I simply don't see any oomph.  He's looking old.  Granted, he looked old in CRYSTAL SKULL and pulled it off and he's in better shape for his age than most of his contemporaries, but still...he's fucking old.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - carnotaur3 - 09-10-2019

Harrison seems very sad.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - atomtastic - 09-10-2019

He’s just high

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Misfit - 09-10-2019

If you knew that Letterman was (mostly) retired and you were going to have to talk to Jimmy Fallon every time you had a movie coming out, wouldn't you be a little bummed? That being said, he doesn't seem to be showing his age any more than you'd expect at this point. I still think he's gone one more in him.

(09-10-2019, 01:30 PM)atomtastic Wrote: He’s just high

This was my assumption as well.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Paul755 - 09-10-2019

His interviews on Conan pre-Tonight Show are still legendary.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 09-10-2019

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - simbob - 09-11-2019

I still kind of want them to give the sci-fi movie thing a shot and have it not suck this time. It's such a fun idea to take Indiana Jones and drop him into a different genre as if Raiders of the Lost Ark were actually a old series, and the later movie is playing with something that's more in vogue. But Crystal Skull never really commented to the idea, it basically just plays like Raiders and Crusade but with Russians and the religious item being grey aliens. It's so weird how much they fucked that up since cults like the one in Temple of Doom being tied into aliens is such a pulp thing.

Seems like they could pretty easily do Quatermass and the Pit but in some jungle or something and it wouldn't really be out of the ordinary with Indiana Jones at all. Do something like Indiana Jones At the Mountains of Madness...wasn't Spielberg involved in a At the Mountains of Madness movie at some point?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Neil Spurn - 09-11-2019

Nah, Mountains of Madness was, as I recall, going to star Cruise and be adapted/directed by Guillermo Del Toro. I think Speilberg got rid of his horror bug by ghost-directing Poltergeist.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 09-11-2019

(09-11-2019, 09:41 AM)Neil Spurn Wrote: I think Speilberg got rid of his horror bug by ghost-directing Poltergeist.

Not really, surprisingly enough. In the mid '90s, he was involved in trying to get a new adaption of THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE off the ground as director; the project morphed and he eventually was no longer able to direct it, so that's how we ended up with Jan De Bont's version from DreamWorks in 1999.

There's also conjecture that Stephen King's ROSE RED miniseries was born out of conversations King and Spielberg had about collaborating on an original haunted house film.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 09-11-2019

Yeah I wouldn't count out Spielberg doing a horror film.  POLTERGEIST apparently led him to veto a haunted castle concept for the second and then third INDY, but that was based more on how close together the productions were than any objection on principle, I believe.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Neil Spurn - 09-11-2019

Huh! Didn't know about any of that, interesting!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - carnotaur3 - 09-11-2019

I remember being so disappointed in Rose Red

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 09-11-2019

It is said that Diane Thomas of ROMANCING THE STONE fame got as far as delivering a first draft of a haunted castle INDY 3 for Lucas before she was killed in a car crash.  If true it is too bad that one never leaked.  But the infamous MONKEY KING script for INDY 3 that Chris Columbus wrote had a haunted castle teaser, which was probably residue from that angle.  It is sort of an Indy tradition to dust off ideas that were discarded from the previous movie, starting with TEMPLE doing set pieces that were originally intended for RAIDERS (rolling gong, water rapids, minecart chase) before budget and pacing realities got in the way.

I am sure I've regurgitated all this before, but the ocean of unused Indy ideas is so comprehensive and interesting. Lucasfilm should compile a giant bound volume of all rejected drafts for all the sequels. The franchise is such a sandbox for crazy pulp scenarios, it would be a kick to see how various screenwriters sunk their teeth into the opportunity over the years. Any Indy script would be a blast to read, even when the material is ridiculous and ill-advised. The stuff we do have access to suggests so, anyway.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - arjen rudd - 09-11-2019

Always been curious what M Night’s would have been.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 09-11-2019

Indy IV is such a missed opportunity.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 09-11-2019

There's a fourth Indiana Jones movie?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Judas Booth - 09-11-2019

Yep. While it's the weakest of the 4 films, it's also not the worst movie ever made. It's over-hated.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 09-11-2019

I don't believe you! I would've seen it!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 09-11-2019

(09-11-2019, 12:03 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: Yep. While it's the weakest of the 4 films, it's also not the worst movie ever made. It's over-hated.

With only a few tweaks, CRYSTAL SKULL could have been very good.

1. Consolidate the number of characters. Mac would be a good candidate to drop.
2. Make Indy more proactive (or at least more conflicted) during the middle section, where he seems to have no problem helping the Commies.
3. Ditch the "Indy's a suspected Soviet agent" angle because it is entirely useless to the plot.
4. Hire a different director of photography.
5. Don't allow ILM to field test a new digital foliage program during the biggest setpiece in what is supposed to be a throwback action-adventure film.
6. Let Indy to kill people.
7. Eliminate digital animals, except for the necessary ants.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 09-11-2019

(09-11-2019, 11:55 AM)MichaelM Wrote: There's a fourth Indiana Jones movie?

I appreciate the effort.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Judas Booth - 09-11-2019

Honestly, my main issue is that he's definitely a passive character for a big chunk of the movie. Having him go 'What now, Ox? Where to, Ox? What do you see, Ox?' for what feels like an hour doesn't help.

The look of the film is off and the special effects overwhelm in the third act, but those are not deal breakers for me. It's not a GREAT movie by any stretch but it's watchable enough entertainment with a couple of really solid scenes in it (especially the motorcycle chase at the university). And Shia's fine as Indy's son. Any flaws in that character are the script's fault, not his.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - arjen rudd - 09-11-2019

The fact that they crafted an Indy’s son role for which Shia was appropriate casting is certainly an issue.

We seem to re-litigate KotCS every few months. Can we move on now?

(09-11-2019, 12:36 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: We seem to re-litigate KotCS every few months.  Can we move on now?

Yes!

Let's talk about those Star Wars prequels! And Batman!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - commodorejohn - 09-11-2019

TPM > KOTCS

*mic drop*

I honestly don't know how to make that call. I think I'd have to go with KOTCS simply because Spielberg still enjoys directing actual humans.