The Trouble City Forums
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=155331)

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Richard Dickson - 09-24-2019

I can't see them doing an "Indy is dying" Indy V and ending it any other way than him becoming the new Grail Knight and living forever.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - scottieferguson - 09-24-2019

Sudden image in my head of Indy navigating the Petra temple ruins, going down into the pit to retrieve the grail, sitting down next to Elsa's decayed corpse, and giving her a sarcastic toast. "The Jones boys both declared war on Germany, you Nazi bitch."

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fraid uh noman - 09-25-2019

Indiana Jones and the Head of Walt Disney

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Stale Elvis - 09-25-2019

Indiana Jones and the Lost Sequel Treatments of Lucas.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fraid uh noman - 09-25-2019

I wouldn't be surprised if they have him looking for the Ark again..

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - commodorejohn - 09-25-2019

...but this time it's a newer, bigger Ark with a slightly different name!

Noah's Ark!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 09-25-2019

The Hebrews had a Site B.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Richard Dickson - 09-25-2019

And this new Fourth Reich has somehow taken over all of Europe...

Those "top men" weren't very good dudes either..

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - serpico jones - 09-25-2019

This will never happen.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - noirheaven - 09-25-2019

(09-24-2019, 11:19 AM)carnotaur3 Wrote:
(09-24-2019, 09:46 AM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: I imagine Spielberg’s mandate is “I want a story, not a plot”, and it’s all a scrambling to find one that piques his interest, when any other filmmaker would be like “Indy searches for artifact x, and go!”

I think this is correct. But I also think part of the reason why Crystal Skull doesn't work is because the Skull feels very loosely connected to the movie's themes.

Whereas each previous movie connected to his character's needs.  The Ark "represented everything he got into archeology for in the first place". The Sankara Stones were his "fortune and glory" and his transition from searching for riches to enriching a community. And the grail represented his reconnection to his father, whose parenting style actually created Indy's journey as an archeologist. 

The Crystal Skull is many rewrites away from making those kind of deep connections to Indy's character. He doesn't even get actually somewhat interested in the skull until halfway through the movie and then he wants to return it at the beginning of the third act because it "told" him to. Then there's something about knowledge at the end of the movie but who really knows.

Beautifully stated!

I think you can see that there are some efforts to infuse Crystal Skull with that kind of character-driven connective tissue; some lunges toward that, and in the first act, I would contend, they at least sort of succeed. Indiana's sense of being in a time he does not understand, a dire situation that we all must face in old age should we reach same, is visually rendered with his pondering the mushroom cloud (the hyper-sensitive fans went crazy over denouncing "the fridge" while missing the whole point of the sequence--which, granted, the prairie critters detracted a touch from, too). As the film unspools, however, it loses its bearings in relation to where Indiana is in his life, abandoning the early attempts to at least begin bridging the trilogy to the world of the late 1950s U.S. and world it is depicting. That "Robin and Marian" vibe of which Spielberg spoke before lensing commenced brought up beforehand in this thread seems to display seedlings of its would-be eventual fruitfulness, but somewhere in the process it was at least largely lost. Effectively sidelining Indy as a "considerable supporting" player in the second half of the movie as others have bemoaned, with his tracking down Oxley's previous adventure, and seeming to serve as conduit between the past in Oxley and future in Mutt (though I agree that the "hat" symbolism was clearly intended to suggest that for all of his increased grumpiness, Indy was not done with his adventures just yet) makes most of that first-act good work recede in importance, however, and understandably so.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 10-17-2019

No news is bad news.  From the new Forbes interview with Frank Marshall:

Quote:"With regards to the next Jurassic World movie, we are in full pre-production at Pinewood Studios in London, England. We plan to begin shooting in February of next year, so that is all very much in motion,” he updated. “As far as the fifth Indiana Jones movie goes, we’re still working on the script.” 

To quote Indy, "How hard were you trying?"

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 10-17-2019

Our situation has not improved.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 10-17-2019

Everything about this situation reminds me of how much Hollywood has lost as it has moved away from the "spec script" way of doing things.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-et-st-spec-scripts-20171219-htmlstory.html

Indiana Jones, and umpteen franchises, desperately need fresh voices.  And that means "spec scripts."  But, as a whole, that's just not really how Hollywood works anymore PARTICULARLY in regards to established IPs.  Some of the reasons are touched upon in that article, but I think a big one is not mentioned:  litigation.  If a producer reads a spec script, passes, and then ANY idea that arguably appeared in that spec script shows up in a later film based on that IP you're going to get sued.  Eventually, Hollywood started buying scripts they never intended on making just to ensure they won't have a lawsuit later.

And, eventually (and inevitably), Hollywood decided the easiest way to avoid the problem is to just stop soliciting or reading them.  So we've got an insular group of talent-lacking ... IMHO ... writers that Spielberg "trusts" who keep passing Indy back and forth.

At this point, I don't think this will ever happen.

** I would also note that a lot of that litigation was probably well-deserved. Hollywood brutally steals from writers all the time.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 10-17-2019

In order to make the July 2021 release date, they have to be shooting by the end of Summer 2020.  Six months of pre-production is not uncommon for a big movie.  The window that a finished script must be approved by is rapidly shrinking, and there is no indication that they are any closer than they were when this was announced in 2016.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - arjen rudd - 10-17-2019

The worst part is there’s got to be literally hundreds of good-to-great Indy spec scripts out there.

The problem of course being that to find them, you’ve got to read a great many bad ones. Ratio’s probably pretty high too.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Jones - 10-17-2019

Fascinating, I didn't realise the era of the spec script had come to an end. So much for my still-born AvP idea.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 10-17-2019

(09-25-2019, 10:24 AM)serpico jones Wrote: This will never happen.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - carnotaur3 - 10-17-2019

Anyone want to read my Indy rip off script about a Master Thief in search of the Nazi Bell?

It’s called “Carter Shay or the Device of Secrets”

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Neil Spurn - 10-17-2019

That there is no need for any further Indy movies is now proven. While we can all come up with great new Indy movie ideas, the creators clearly no longer have the will or desire.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fraid uh noman - 10-18-2019

I'll gladly accept it if we get it but won't sweat it if (when?) we don't..

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - headless fett - 10-18-2019

Crystal Skull was Indy's death dream after he climbed into that fridge. 

Change my mind.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 10-18-2019

(10-17-2019, 11:25 PM)carnotaur3 Wrote: Anyone want to read my Indy rip off script about a Master Thief in search of the Nazi Bell?

It’s called “Carter Shay or the Device of Secrets”

Sure.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - carnotaur3 - 10-18-2019

What’s your email, my lord?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 10-18-2019

(10-18-2019, 02:23 AM)headless fett Wrote: Crystal Skull was Indy's death dream after he climbed into that fridge. 

I am intrigued by your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Paul C - 10-18-2019

It continues to boggle my mind that they find it so difficult to come up with functional Indiana Jones scripts. They are, at the end of the day, action movies based on old serials. Just imagine if they were this bad at it in the 30's - they wouldn't get past three episodes!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 10-18-2019

As I brought up before, I think Spielberg only wants to do another if there's a strong emotional hook and the writers are having a hard time coming up with one that wins him over. Spielberg already filled his need to make a James Bond adventure with RAIDERS, and I don't think he merely wants to just repeat himself by doing yet another Indy plot, he wants a story.

If anything, LucasFilm should just give this project to a filmmaker that's actually hungry to do an Indy film, rather than to someone who doesn't honestly need to.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 10-18-2019

(10-18-2019, 10:32 AM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: As I brought up before, I think Spielberg only wants to do another if there's a strong emotional hook and the writers are having a hard time coming up with one that wins him over. Spielberg already filled his need to make a James Bond adventure with RAIDERS, and I don't think he merely wants to just repeat himself by doing yet another Indy plot, he wants a story.

Yes but: eleven years?  If Spielberg was passionate about this project, the story would have been found because he would have involved himself in the process.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 10-18-2019

(10-18-2019, 11:00 AM)fatherdude Wrote:
(10-18-2019, 10:32 AM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: As I brought up before, I think Spielberg only wants to do another if there's a strong emotional hook and the writers are having a hard time coming up with one that wins him over. Spielberg already filled his need to make a James Bond adventure with RAIDERS, and I don't think he merely wants to just repeat himself by doing yet another Indy plot, he wants a story.

Yes but: eleven years?  If Spielberg was passionate about this project, the story would have been found because he would have involved himself in the process.

That's the thing, I don't think he's really that passionate about it, and it's probably a mistake that LucasFilm is treating the project like it can only be done by Spielberg when he'd rather be doing other films during the past eleven years.

Either let this series rest or find other filmmakers that actually want to make an Indy film.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - barry woodward - 10-18-2019

If they ever get around to making this film it'd be rad if they titled it RAIDERS OF THE (fill in the blank).

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Paul C - 10-18-2019

Raiders Of Jurassic Park.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fraid uh noman - 10-18-2019

The macguffin is Polybius. Raiders of the Lost Arcade..

Ok....I was joking but....the more I think about it, the more I see how that could almost be an actual thing. Polybius allows you to apply a macguffin to stuff like CIA mind control/MK Ultra. Have them be the bad guys! It'd be like a high tech mirror of Temple of Doom in some ways..

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Neil Spurn - 10-18-2019

Had to look Polybius up. Fascinating!