The Trouble City Forums
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=155331)

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - headless fett - 02-03-2020

I don't want this.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 02-03-2020

I am looking forward to THE CALL OF THE WILD proving that Harrison Ford can still anchor an adventure film past his 75th birthday.  It is not an apples-to-apples comparison with an Indiana Jones movie, but it will still be a useful one.  The press junket for it will also be where our next INDY 5 updates come from, as it will not be an avoidable topic for Ford.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 02-03-2020

(02-03-2020, 03:28 PM)headless fett Wrote: I don't want this.

Neither do I.

I really don't think we have to worry. This never happens.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Richard Dickson - 02-03-2020

Set it in the '60s and have whoever's opposing Indy in his quest for the MacGuffin be some kind of SPECTRE-style organization. Then Spielberg could do his pseudo-Bond movie.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - hammerhead - 02-03-2020

(02-03-2020, 02:08 PM)Amos Wrote: Someone's probably already made this joke, but maybe the film's plot takes Indy to the deserts of Tunisia, where he encounters a young American filmmaker shooting a science fiction picture about two robots looking for an old man named Ben.

It was me! And probably a bunch of other people in other threads

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 02-03-2020

(02-03-2020, 03:48 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote: Set it in the '60s and have whoever's opposing Indy in his quest for the MacGuffin be some kind of SPECTRE-style organization.  Then Spielberg could do his pseudo-Bond movie.

And the villain wears a nehru jacket rather than a white suit.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - hammerhead - 02-04-2020

He definitely ought to be on the Masons' radar.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Misfit - 02-04-2020

(02-04-2020, 04:26 AM)hammerhead Wrote: He definitely ought to be on the Masons' radar.

He is. My dad and I are both big fans of the series.

(My last name is Mason.)

(Heh, heh.)

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - scottieferguson - 02-04-2020

(02-03-2020, 02:08 PM)Amos Wrote: Someone's probably already made this joke, but maybe the film's plot takes Indy to the deserts of Tunisia, where he encounters a young American filmmaker shooting a science fiction picture about two robots looking for an old man named Ben.

This would be bad.  I want this.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 02-06-2020

Ford, out promoting THE CALL OF THE WILD in Mexico City yesterday, did some advocating for science, then this:

Quote:Ford also shared a little movie news: He said a fifth Indiana Jones movie was moving closer to fruition, noting the filmmakers were “close” to having a script ready.

I mean.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 02-06-2020

(02-06-2020, 09:36 AM)fatherdude Wrote:
Quote:Ford also shared a little movie news: He said a fifth Indiana Jones movie was moving closer to fruition, noting the filmmakers were “close” to having a script ready.

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 02-06-2020

They've been "close" for years at this point.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 02-06-2020

That's literally true:

https://ew.com/movies/2017/09/04/indiana-jones-5-shia-labeouf-not-returning/

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 02-13-2020

In this excerpt from a new interview with CBS Morning News, Harrison Ford says he starts on INDY 5 in "about two months."

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 02-13-2020

He looks in good-enough shape for me to suspend my disbelief, I can say that.

I also think, as he hints at in there, that he's aware of making sure he's not going to be doing anything that would look completely ridiculous. And I also think that his evident love of that character (in contrast to Han Solo) counts for a lot, too.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - commodorejohn - 02-13-2020

"We still don't have a script, but we figure we'll just save time and have Bob Iger come down to the lot and tell us what to do each day."

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - noirheaven - 02-13-2020

If that is true, then, credit where credit's due, insofar as Disney/Spielberg/Ford/whoever have kept the lid on this as tight as possible.

Guess we'll know by the first of spring whether or not this is actually happening or actually not happening...

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 02-13-2020

If this were any other project, I'd say Ford's quote makes this a sure thing. But I'm waiting on the press release.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Paul C - 02-14-2020

He sounds like he's talking off-handedly here, I think he might've just meant 'I'll be doing it pretty soon' rather than that they'll literally be in production in two months.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - scottieferguson - 02-14-2020

Most likely, but part of me wants to hope they're trying to fly this under the radar as much as possible, El Camino style. Then boom, trailer drop in front of West Side Story. Crowd goes wild. Wishful thinking, I know.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - filmnerdjamie - 02-14-2020

Normally I would disregard. But Ford would know and Spielberg can (and most certainly, has) work F-A-S-T.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 02-14-2020

Two months is pretty specific, and it squares with the April 2020 start date that DiscussingFilm reported last summer.  That wasn't an official announcement, but I think it's credible that they learned through the grapevine that Lucasfilm had booked London production offices for that month.

What makes me skeptical is, Spielberg had once reported an April 2019 start date, so it's not like these bookings are written in stone.  They represent an intention based on the assumption that the script will be ready.  The paranoid interpretation of this would be, sure, Ford was last told April 2020 is the aim, but is the script in fact complete this time?

Admittedly it seems a stretch to think Ford would be that out of the loop, but on the other hand the project getting pushed back a year happened alarmingly soon after Spielberg publicly made the "We shoot next spring" remark in 2018.  And the development history of this project does not promote benefit of the doubt.

noirheaven is right that if this thing is really shooting so soon, they have done an incredible job of keeping things hush hush.  For the fourth movie, Lucasfilm was shouting it from the rooftops that they had achieved an agreed upon script.  Production happened six months later.  We pointedly haven't heard anything about casting, locating scouting, and all the usual gossip (or even official releases) that would normally go along with a big movie gearing up.  What we have heard instead, as recently as this month, is that they were still working on the script.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 02-14-2020

(02-13-2020, 10:33 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: He looks in good-enough shape for me to suspend my disbelief, I can say that.

I haven't been concerned about Ford's age since I saw what the MCU de-aging tech has accomplished over the past few years.

**Of course, they actually have to use the aforementioned tech.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Paul C - 02-14-2020

He looks a little digitally smoothed just in that interview.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 02-14-2020

This

Never

Happens

Ever

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Judas Booth - 02-14-2020

I'll believe that this is happening when a picture is posted of the first day on set. Until then, this is just blowing smoke.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 02-14-2020

Weird thing occurred to me with CRYSTAL SKULL. In his iconic jacket and fedora, Ford looked so great for his age he easily looked convincing as man in his 50s, as that's how old Indy was supposed to be in 1958. Despite that, he actually looked much older specifically during the college scenes. Maybe it's just the college clothes that really added to the grumpy old man vibes.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 02-14-2020

Can't believe how many babies want them to go for the de-aging.  Let me see every fucking wrinkle on Ford's face, and leave the vaseline off the lens this time.  It sucks how radical it is to propose that a movie look like a movie. If Kaminski shoots this through pantyhose again I am feeding myself into the rock crusher.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - commodorejohn - 02-14-2020

Heaven forbid that old people actually look old.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 02-14-2020

(02-14-2020, 06:33 PM)commodorejohn Wrote: Heaven forbid that old people actually look old.

commodorejohn gets it.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 02-14-2020

(02-14-2020, 06:26 PM)fatherdude Wrote: Can't believe how many babies want them to go for the de-aging.  Let me see every fucking wrinkle on Ford's face, and leave the vaseline off the lens this time.  It sucks how radical it is to propose that a movie look like a movie.  If Kaminski shoots this through pantyhose again I am feeding myself into the rock crusher.

Hey, pantyhose look great on movies. Movies like SUPERMAN '78 looks perfect with that blooming aesthetic. The problem with KOTCS is that the color timing was naff.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - kyle reese 2 - 02-14-2020

He meant he starts stem cell injections and radioactive gene therapy in 2 months. Gotta get in shape first.

(02-14-2020, 06:41 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote:
(02-14-2020, 06:26 PM)fatherdude Wrote: Can't believe how many babies want them to go for the de-aging.  Let me see every fucking wrinkle on Ford's face, and leave the vaseline off the lens this time.  It sucks how radical it is to propose that a movie look like a movie.  If Kaminski shoots this through pantyhose again I am feeding myself into the rock crusher.

Hey, pantyhose look great on movies. Movies like SUPERMAN '78 looks perfect with that blooming aesthetic. The problem with KOTCS is that the color timing was naff.

The color palette was a lesser offense.  The lighting and filtration was overwhelmingly what made CRYSTAL SKULL look like SKY CAPTAIN.

(02-14-2020, 06:46 PM)fatherdude Wrote: The color palette was a lesser offense.  The lighting and filtration was overwhelmingly what made CRYSTAL SKULL look like SKY CAPTAIN.

I always assumed the filtered look was Spielberg trying to reflect the aesthetics of 1950s cinema. As it was set in 1958, the same year VERTIGO came out and used a lot of that kind of filter, though the lighting was not as aggressive.

It doesn't look anything like VERTIGO, which has filmic texture, motivated lighting and doesn't give off the impression of its environments having been made by a renderer.