The Trouble City Forums
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=155331)

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 02-14-2020

I was strictly speaking about the use of soft filter, I never said it looked like exactly like VERTIGO.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 02-14-2020

(02-14-2020, 06:46 PM)fatherdude Wrote:
(02-14-2020, 06:41 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote:
(02-14-2020, 06:26 PM)fatherdude Wrote: Can't believe how many babies want them to go for the de-aging.  Let me see every fucking wrinkle on Ford's face, and leave the vaseline off the lens this time.  It sucks how radical it is to propose that a movie look like a movie.  If Kaminski shoots this through pantyhose again I am feeding myself into the rock crusher.

Hey, pantyhose look great on movies. Movies like SUPERMAN '78 looks perfect with that blooming aesthetic. The problem with KOTCS is that the color timing was naff.

The color palette was a lesser offense.  The lighting and filtration was overwhelmingly what made CRYSTAL SKULL look like SKY CAPTAIN.

I thought it was great how Spielberg, et al. mentioned how important it was to honor the originals by trying to recreate Slocombe's style, sticking to practical effects, using on-location shooting, and then they proceeded to do absolutely none of that.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 02-14-2020

(02-14-2020, 07:03 PM)Overlord Wrote: I thought it was great how Spielberg, et al. mentioned how important it was to honor the originals by trying to recreate Slocombe's style, sticking to practical effects, using on-location shooting, and then they proceeded to do absolutely none of that.

To be fair they actually did, but it wasn't very representative of the whole picture so they were pretty much fudging the facts. They filmed the nuclear blast with practical effects, that's a fact, but then there's so much else that were done with CGI that it overwhelmed the practical elements.

As for supposedly recreating Slocombe's style to the point Spielberg said he and Kaminski "swallowed their pride", yeah, I don't get THAT at all. If they did, it must have only been in very small moments because otherwise it's very much using Kaminski's film chemical processing technique he's used since first collaborating with Spielberg. His college scenes look no different than how he filmed the mansion scenes in THE LOST WORLD.

[Image: jurassic-lost-world-movie-screencaps.com...?strip=all]

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - kyle reese 2 - 02-14-2020

They did actually film scenes in Connecticut, though. You can't fake Connecticut.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - chief zabu - 02-14-2020

That looks like a 'bleach bypass" shot. Colour is drained out. That may be fine for some films but the colour in Indy movies should be saturated as hell.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - atomtastic - 02-14-2020

Crystal Skull, like all Kaminski Spielberg collabs, looks terrible!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 02-14-2020

Some new quotes from Ford as THE CALL OF THE WILD junket continues.  On Ellen he said that they "hope" to film this "summer" which is more equivocal.  But what he told IGN is tantalizing:

Quote:“Well, I’m not going to share the story with you because that doesn’t seem like a good idea,” Ford began. “But we’ll see new developments in his life, his relationship. We’ll see part of his history resolved."

Ford added, “It’s a very good script. I’m looking forward to it."

The fact that there is a story for Ford to be evasive about is progress, for sure.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 02-14-2020

And it sounds like he's certainly seen a recent(ish) draft. I don't think he'd B.S. anybody about that.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - scottieferguson - 02-14-2020

(02-14-2020, 07:17 PM)kyle reese 2 Wrote: They did actually film scenes in Connecticut, though. You can't fake Connecticut.

They did, but you can, especially when they just digitally stuck Harkness tower into the background of the the backlot diner exterior.

Random side note, we shot an Indiana Jones movie as kids at Yale almost 15 years before KOTCS. I played Marcus.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 02-14-2020

I know without seeing it that you guys honored Slocombe better.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - scottieferguson - 02-15-2020

I dunno about that. It was a bunch of 7th graders with an 8mm vhs handycam doing stupid shit. Don't really remember it, and afaik no copies exist. I think I got shot in the arm, but that later translated into a limp the next weekend.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 02-18-2020

Word is that the first four films are receiving a new 4K Blu-ray box set in 2021, as Disney/Paramount intend to capitalize on both the fifth movie and the fortieth anniversary of the series.

https://www.thedigitalfix.com/film/home-releases-news/indiana-jones-4k-blu-ray-2021/

Most tantalizingly, the rumor is that new bonus features may include, for the first time, deleted scenes from the series.

Ironically CRYSTAL SKULL may stand to benefit the most from an upgrade, as it used a 2K DI flow.  I suspect they'll just use the pre-existing 4K (upscaled) master though, as I cannot imagine that redoing all of CGI for 4K could possibly be justified.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mike j - 02-18-2020

I'm sure the transfer will be good from a purely technical standpoint, but man, Crystal Skull is an ugly-looking film.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 02-18-2020

Yeah, nothing could realistically make CRYSTAL SKULL look better to me. The issues are too baked-in.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 02-18-2020

Indeed. The issues CRYSTAL SKULL has, it came home from the hospital with.

Stoked to see the deleted scenes, though. Hopefully we get to see Pat Roach's LAST CRUSADE role after all these years.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Judas Booth - 02-18-2020

I wonder how much additional 'Indy on the periscope' footage is out there that we haven't seen.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - arjen rudd - 02-18-2020

What could be better than all that screen test footage from the big BluRay set? Selleck looks like he would have been pretty good.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Judas Booth - 02-18-2020

(02-18-2020, 05:31 PM)arjen rudd Wrote: What could be better than all that screen test footage from the big BluRay set? Selleck looks like he would have been pretty good.

I think he would have been great as well, but it definitely would have been a different feel without Ford.  Ford's big acting gift is to act tired and beat-up better than anyone else.  Selleck simply has too much energy to portray the weariness that Ford brought to the character.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 02-18-2020

I want to see the deleted Willie material that explains how she goes from escaping thuggee goons in the Temple to being suddenly a captive 20 minutes later. There's a whole sequence (depicted in the novelization, and I'm 99% sure was shot) of her back in the palace trying to get help where she's subsequently captured.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 02-18-2020

(02-18-2020, 06:16 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: I want to see the deleted Willie material that explains how she goes from escaping thuggee goons in the Temple to being suddenly a captive 20 minutes later.  There's a whole sequence (depicted in the novelization, and I'm 99% sure was shot) of her back in the palace trying to get help where she's subsequently captured.

Funny thing is that because I grew up with the VHS they cropped out her escaping so it never occurred to me that she actually did in that shot.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - commodorejohn - 02-18-2020

(02-18-2020, 05:44 PM)Judas Booth Wrote:
(02-18-2020, 05:31 PM)arjenrudd Wrote: What could be better than all that screen test footage from the big BluRay set? Selleck looks like he would have been pretty good.
I think he would have been great as well, but it definitely would have been a different feel without Ford. Ford's big acting gift is to acttired and beat-up better than anyone else. Selleck simply has too much energy to portray the weariness that Ford brought to the character.
Reading this exchange and thinking back to Magnum P.I., it strikes me that he basically would've been pretty much what people who advocate for Chris Pratt taking over as Indy don't seem to understand would be the result, except better and he'd somehow make it look cool.

(02-18-2020, 07:05 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: Funny thing is that because I grew up with the VHS they cropped out her escaping so it never occurred to me that she actually did in that shot.

I think I similarly just assumed she was captured with Short Round, but then the DVD showed that, in fact, she runs out of the scene!

Although I think I'd read the novelization by that point.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mola ram - 02-18-2020

(02-18-2020, 06:16 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: I want to see the deleted Willie material that explains how she goes from escaping thuggee goons in the Temple to being suddenly a captive 20 minutes later.  There's a whole sequence (depicted in the novelization, and I'm 99% sure was shot) of her back in the palace trying to get help where she's subsequently captured.

They tease it in the outtakes/deleted scenes for the blu ray too (at the 1:30 mark). Never understood why they never released much of the deleted scenes from the movies.

Proof!

As for why we've never seen more extensive deleted scenes, I think Spielberg generally doesn't like including them.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mr. stockslivevan - 02-18-2020

(02-18-2020, 11:11 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: Proof!

As for why we've never seen more extensive deleted scenes, I think Spielberg generally doesn't like including them.

Certainly. You have to go back to one of the LaserDisc releases to find the deleted scene with Harrison Ford in ET. 

David Lynch used to not include deleted scenes for his movies but has become incredibly more lenient, allowing over an hour's worth of deleted scenes for BLUE VELVET and FIRE WALK WITH ME. If only other filmmakers would follow suit!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mola ram - 02-18-2020

Ford goes into more detail about Indy 5. If they don't start filming this by summer, I don't see this happening.

At the 3:30 mark

I think if Ford didn't believe it was really happening soon, he'd be saying stuff much less definitive and more vague. He seems locked in.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - scottieferguson - 02-19-2020

So, does Alex Hyde White finally get his moment in the sun as young Henry? Guy gets cut out of an Indy movie, and has his Fantastic Four movie buried.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 02-19-2020

Those are good quotes from Ford about the state of the production.  It is particularly hopeful that he speaks of "refining" elements of the script, and I wonder what production personnel he refers to that they are trying to schedule around?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - filmnerdjamie - 02-19-2020

Karen Allen, I bet.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 02-19-2020

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - simbob - 02-19-2020

(02-14-2020, 08:26 PM)atomtastic Wrote: Crystal Skull, like all Kaminski Spielberg collabs, looks terrible!

War Horse looks fantastic. It looks so good and is lacking in Kamiński usually overblown shit O was actually surprised to see it was still him. I thought maybe Spielberg had gotten someone new for War Horse. War Horse actually made me kind of want Spielberg to give Indiana Jones another go, 'cause now I'm a little hopeful it'll look like that as opposed to Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 02-19-2020

(02-19-2020, 07:56 PM)fatherdude Wrote:

Well, that sounds a little more waffle-y!

I like his point though, and it's one I've suspected Spielberg also has had; he was only going to come back if he thought he could deliver something truly fantastic.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Neil Spurn - 02-19-2020

Like TFA and RoS!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 02-19-2020

Ford doesn't care about STAR WARS or Han Solo anywhere close to the degree he does about Indiana Jones.

And I'd argue he's very good in both TFA and TROS.