The Trouble City Forums
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion (/showthread.php?tid=155331)

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Shreds - 02-19-2020

Ford is very good in Crystal Skull as well. His performance is not what lets the film down.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 02-19-2020

I agree with that.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - noirheaven - 02-19-2020

Yep. Ford brought his A-game to "Crystal Skull." One of the major components of the film that is wildly successful. Sadly the screenplay did not give him enough to actually do (and how certain takes were chosen such as, "Part time," still mystifies).

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - arjen rudd - 02-20-2020

That is exactly what you’d want to hear from him. And if they don’t end up making it? Hey, no harm no foul, thanks for looking out!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 02-20-2020

"We're not going to make another Indiana Jones unless we're in a position to kill it" is completely the right mentality, for sure.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - kyle reese 2 - 02-20-2020

"When we kill it, we're going to make sure it stays dead this time!"

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 02-20-2020

The message here seems to be, "We have a script we consider solid.  There are screws to tighten, but nothing we aren't confident we can address before a summer shoot.  The bigger obstacle at the moment is lining up everybody's schedules."

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 02-20-2020

Anyone recall what Ford was saying just prior to KOTC? Was it similarly reassuring platitudes?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 02-20-2020

No doubt, but the thing has to get to production before we can graduate to fretting over its quality.

Looking back on the CRYSTAL SKULL timeline, there was a Lucasfilm press release in January 2007 announcing that a script had been agreed upon and that filming would start that year.  Filming ended up beginning in June 2007, for a May 2008 release.  If things are shaping up as well as Ford is insinuating, we shouldn't be far from an official announcement.  It would be comforting to hear Spielberg acknowledge the project again.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - bluelouboyle - 02-22-2020

On the comic con video for CRYSTAL SKULL Ford said "we're making a DYNAMITE movie".

Yeah, dynamite of shite. Although to be fair he gave it his all.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 02-22-2020

I already posted this in the Conan thread, but what the heck:

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - simbob - 02-23-2020

(02-19-2020, 10:06 PM)Shreds Wrote: Ford is very good in Crystal Skull as well. His performance is not what lets the film down.

And as the trailer shows, they aren't even always using his best takes.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - mola ram - 02-23-2020

(02-20-2020, 08:44 AM)MichaelM Wrote: Anyone recall what Ford was saying just prior to KOTC? Was it similarly reassuring platitudes?

Same exact crap. "We wanna make this the best Indiana Jones film and make sure the script is good," Spielberg also said similar things.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 02-23-2020

Thought so.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - bradito - 02-23-2020

It'd be funny if they were honest for once. "Well, we locked in a release date, so we're going to start shooting with an unfinished script. But we'll try to fix all the gaping plot holes with reshoots, and if that doesn't work, oh well. We hit our release date."

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 02-23-2020

The difference between this and the lead-up to CRYSTAL SKULL is that the players (Spielberg, certainly) are very aware of the fan perception of that movie. So when Ford talks about wanting to kill it, what I hear is, "We're not doing it unless we can deliver something much better than the last one."

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - boone daniels - 02-25-2020

I watched RAIDERS and LAST CRUSADE this weekend, and then about 40 or so minutes of CRYSTAL SKULL.

I will say that as much guff as Harrison Ford gets for CRYSTAL SKULL, I do think he's actually trying to make the material work. It's probably one of a few latter-day Ford performances where he clearly gives a shit - MORNING GLORY and FOR WAKENS are the others, IMO.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - waaaaaaaalt - 02-25-2020

(02-25-2020, 10:47 AM)boone daniels Wrote: I watched RAIDERS and LAST CRUSADE this weekend, and then about 40 or so minutes of CRYSTAL SKULL.

I will say that as much guff as Harrison Ford gets for CRYSTAL SKULL, I do think he's actually trying to make the material work. It's probably one of a few latter-day Ford performances where he clearly gives a shit - MORNING GLORY and FOR WAKENS are the others, IMO.
Yeah is it ok to say that I don't actually hate Crystal Skull anymore?

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - bradito - 02-25-2020

No, it's lame.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - boone daniels - 02-25-2020

I've become more fond of CRYSTAL SKULL than I was when I first saw it, but ultimately, there are too many things that feel off about it that don't make it fully come together. I think I like it slightly more than Temple of Doom, but that's because I've never really liked Temple.

I did think that, given we're on the cusp of the Hollywood Community ™ embracing Shia Le Beouf again, it might be fun to have Mutt be the "big bad" of INDY 5 or whatever. Have it be that Mutt has gone full 1960s hippie and is leading some pagan cult or whatever under a different name, and we don't learn it's Shia until the mid-point. Let Shia reconcile with his sensei Spielberg and give us some long-haired crazy eyes over the top acting!

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 02-25-2020

The heart wants what it wants, waaaaaaaalt.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 02-25-2020

(02-25-2020, 11:13 AM)boone daniels Wrote: I've never really liked Temple.

[Image: tumblr_odl282uOs11rxmai6o6_500.gifv]

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - hammerhead - 02-25-2020

I'm still of the opinion that there's Raiders, and everything else is optional.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 02-25-2020

Well, RAIDERS and FATE OF ATLANTIS.

I should say I came to Temple very late. I wasn't allowed to watch it even though I could watch RAIDERS and CRUSADE (and other Spielberg adjacent stuff like Jurassic Park, Twilight Zone movie, and Back to the Future). So by the time I'd watched it, I had heard a lot of the stories around it and what was in it - and the movie I had in my head was much scarier than the one that I saw.

I also really don't like how that movie treats Willie. I do think the movie is a rather fascinating entry into the "Spielberg/Lucas divorce canon!"

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Neil Spurn - 02-25-2020

Boone clearly does not like Indians/ South Asians. Shame on you, Boone.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Belloq87 - 02-25-2020

(02-25-2020, 12:33 PM)hammerhead Wrote: I'm still of the opinion that there's Raiders, and everything else is optional.

I mean, RAIDERS is one of the greatest movies of all time. In comparison, TEMPLE and CRUSADE are just some of the greatest adventure flicks of all time.

(02-25-2020, 01:05 PM)boone daniels Wrote: I should say I came to Temple very late. I wasn't allowed to watch it even though I could watch RAIDERS and CRUSADE (and other Spielberg adjacent stuff like Jurassic Park, Twilight Zone movie, and Back to the Future). So by the time I'd watched it, I had heard a lot of the stories around it and what was in it - and the movie I had in my head was much scarier than the one that I saw.

I also really don't like how that movie treats Willie. I do think the movie is a rather fascinating entry into the "Spielberg/Lucas divorce canon!"

Fair enough. I like that they went in a radically different direction from Marion, but I've always understood why Willie doesn't work for people.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - commodorejohn - 02-25-2020

TEMPLE would be much more satisfying if A. they had taken the time to re-calibrate Willie's characterization (okay, sure, Marion would be Best Indy Girl in any universe, but the basic notion for her could've worked,) B. they had stopped to figure out what the plot was and why any of the characters were in it (neither of the other films has anywhere near so many elements that are there just because "uh, and then...something happens!") and C. they had actually given anything in the story room to breathe. As-is, it's a full-on coke-fueled manic episode of a film and all the GO GO GO just kinda blurs together into white noise after the first half-hour or so.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - filmnerdjamie - 02-25-2020

Would it be cool? Sure.

But have a hard time imagining the Beard kissing and making up with Shia. I mean it took a special breed of stupid to go from being the Golden Boy of the most powerful guy in the business to being a leper. All because you had a big mouth.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - MichaelM - 02-25-2020

"Oh, hey, I know I said we film in two months but, um, yeah, we now have some scheduling problems (and unfinished script)."

never

ever

happens

(02-25-2020, 01:41 PM)commodorejohn Wrote: As-is, it's a full-on coke-fueled manic episode of a film

For me, this is its biggest selling point. It's Spielberg Unleashed, in a way we've never seen since. The last 40 minutes reach a pretty remarkable, frenzied pitch.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - Overlord - 02-25-2020

After The Maple Edit completely saved the Hobbit trilogy for me, I have a mildly renewed interest in fan edits.

Has anyone seen or heard of a KOTCS fan edit that improves upon the original? The rough sketch in my mind would result in a much shorter movie ....

To follow up with what Commodore was saying, I put Temple in the same category as Goonies, which are both movies that feels like they're ALL YELLING, ALL THE TIME.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - fatherdude - 02-25-2020

I can't stand THE GOONIES, while TEMPLE OF DOOM sits for me as some sort of criterion of an all-momentum action/adventure movie.

And then there's YOUNG SHERLOCK HOLMES, which feels like a weird missing link between them while also functioning as a HARRY POTTER prototype.

RE: INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion - arjen rudd - 02-25-2020

Young Sherlock Holmes is under appreciated. Can you imagine a movie that weird getting made now?