The Trouble City Forums
anime theatrical releases outside of Japan - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: The Arts and the Literatures (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Comics & Anime (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: anime theatrical releases outside of Japan (/showthread.php?tid=159243)

Pages: 1 2

anime theatrical releases outside of Japan - justinslot - 04-02-2017

Didn't see a thread for this purpose exactly? Occasionally an anime will get a movie theater release in the US/Canada (and elsewhere I'm  sure) but they usually seem to be limited engagements these days, like the recent Shin Godzilla release (which obviously wasn't an anime but it was a Funimation release and they seem to be the main entity bringing anime to American theaters right now.) They're blink-and-you'll-miss-them releases so a thread like this might be useful.

Anyway: recent domestic megahit Your Name (it has already beaten Spirited Away's global box office) is coming to theaters in the US and Canada this weekend in both subbed and dubbed flavors:

https://www.funimationfilms.com/movie/yourname/

- Nooj - 04-02-2017

not totally related, but the Seattle Cinerama is gonna be having this going on in late April/early May:

https://cinerama.com/cdn/images/event_0000000011.pdf

- wendelleverett - 04-02-2017

When I was in college in Los Angeles, I remember making the trek to small releases of Perfect Blue, Wings of Honneamise, Princess Mononoke, and X The Movie, which ranged from very good to pretty bad.  Part of the problem was that most of the good stuff wasn't movies: Vision of Escaflowne, Neon Genesis, Macross Plus and Sword of Berserk would circulate as fan subs and eventually show up on VHS.  It was pretty hard for Hollywood to get ahead of the trend, except for Disney which scooped up a exclusivity deal with Ghibli.  I think the Final Fantasy movie was a real attempt to do a blockbuster Hollywood anime co-production, and once that shit the bed Hollywood pretty much gave up.  You also had cool spin-offs like Animatrix, Batman: Gotham Knight, and Riddick Blind Fury, but Hollywood also seems to be over that now that DVD is dead.

Anime is like westerns or musicals.  Hollywood will put one out every once in a while, but they'll never be mainstream in the US.

- justinslot - 04-11-2017

Your Name is getting another week in my area (Philly) so ticket sales must be okayish.

- Nooj - 04-11-2017

I was thinking about going to see that tonight.

- shan - 04-12-2017

Back in 2001 when we still had the much regarded Valhalla Cinema in Sydney, I made the trek to see Perfect Blue. We also had a screening at another cinema of Cowboy Bebop: The Movie. After a brief murmur of surprise that it was in Japanese with subtitles (not by me), no-one left and everyone shut and watched the movie. We've been well trained to watch movies with subtitles in Australia thanks to SBS TV.

Also have seen at the cinema here in Sydney, Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 (saw 1.0 in Japan - no subtitles either, that was fun) and 009 Re:Cyborg, which to date is the only 3-D film to ever give me a headache and is quite possibly the most anti-Semitic thing I've ever seen.

- Nooj - 04-12-2017

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

I was thinking about going to see that tonight.

I decided to go tomorrow instead!

- Nooj - 04-12-2017

AYOUR NAME is really nice and sweet!

SO CHIBI!!

- Nooj - 04-12-2017

http://www.scmp.com/culture/film-tv/article/2057414/please-dont-see-my-film-says-your-name-director-shinkai-i-dont-want

hehehe

"oh god, stop watching my movie!!"

- could432 - 04-12-2017

AI don't generally like anime much outside of Ghibli, but I thought Your Name was great.

- justinslot - 04-14-2017

I agree, Your Name was great. I recommend going unspoiled other than being aware that the movie involves body-swapping. About half way through I was thinking to myself "this is cute and all, but it's kind of conventional...how did this become a big hit?" And then came the twisteroo.

- ska oreo - 04-14-2017

A[quote name="mcnooj82" url="/community/t/159243/anime-theatrical-releases-outside-of-japan#post_4268775"]http://www.scmp.com/culture/film-tv/article/2057414/please-dont-see-my-film-says-your-name-director-shinkai-i-dont-want

hehehe

"oh god, stop watching my movie!!"
[/quote]

Heh. I see where hes coming from, though.

- justinslot - 10-28-2017

I don't know what this movie is but it's in limited release around the country:

http://www.elevenarts.net/asilentvoice

RE: anime theatrical releases outside of Japan - justinslot - 01-17-2020

The Your Name guy has another movie in wide release starting today:

https://gkids.com/films/weathering-with-you/

RE: anime theatrical releases outside of Japan - justinslot - 04-27-2021

That Demon Slayer movie is in wide release in American theaters right now...apparently it's set between two seasons of the show. The popularity of this property baffles me, from the little I've seen it looks like pretty standard action stuff but the movie has somehow eclipsed Spirited Away as the highest grossing Japanese movie ever.

RE: anime theatrical releases outside of Japan - hammerhead - 04-27-2021

It's certainly doing above average at my theatre. I'd never heard of it before.

RE: anime theatrical releases outside of Japan - isao kanemasa - 04-28-2021

My 17 year old daughter dressed up in character to go to a local AMC's sold out screening last Friday to see this w/ her friends. 1st time she's been to a theater in over 16 months. She had a proper blast.

RE: anime theatrical releases outside of Japan - engineer - 04-28-2021

Before my local Regal got locked down by Corona, they would regularly save one of their thirteen screens for Asian film. I recall them playing YOUR NAME, WEATHERING WITH YOU, PROMARE, some Ghibli re-issues and lots of live action stuff too like the remake of A BETTER TOMORROW, the Chinese version of MIDNIGHT DINER, THE MERMAID and THE WANDERING EARTH.

I've been fortunate enough to see some Miyazaki and COWBOY BEBOP: THE MOVIE on the big screen, as well as AKIRA and GHOST IN THE SHELL and INNOCENCE a couple times each.

RE: anime theatrical releases outside of Japan - bradito - 04-28-2021

Akira on the big screen is really something.

RE: anime theatrical releases outside of Japan - engineer - 04-28-2021

Right?

"BRADITOOOOOOO!!"

The score in surround sound: incredible.

RE: anime theatrical releases outside of Japan - Nooj - 04-28-2021

ugh, I'm so tired of your SCORE talk, brad!!!

I only talk about good ones, so it's v rare!

RE: anime theatrical releases outside of Japan - Nooj - 04-28-2021

it IS an amazing score, to be fair!

RE: anime theatrical releases outside of Japan - commodorejohn - 04-28-2021

Aw, I miss having Lightning Slim around to complain about people geeking out over film scores.

RE: anime theatrical releases outside of Japan - Nooj - 04-29-2021

enough chatter!

TIME TO TALK ABOUT COLOR GRADING!!!

RE: anime theatrical releases outside of Japan - bradito - 04-29-2021

I give this topic an F.

RE: anime theatrical releases outside of Japan - hammerhead - 04-29-2021

Just reaizing that there's probably a corner of the interwebs where people furiously take sides on the issue of frames-per-second in hand-drawn animation.

Drew McWeeney on the '80s All Over podcast definitely had his thoughts on the subject.

RE: anime theatrical releases outside of Japan - Nooj - 04-29-2021

you can already see it with all these youtube channels that take beautiful animation and force HFR onto them

it's gross

24fps or GTFO.

RE: anime theatrical releases outside of Japan - simbob - 05-03-2021

(04-27-2021, 09:32 PM)justinslot Wrote: That Demon Slayer movie is in wide release in American theaters right now...apparently it's set between two seasons of the show. The popularity of this property baffles me, from the little I've seen it looks like pretty standard action stuff but the movie has somehow eclipsed Spirited Away as the highest grossing Japanese movie ever.

When it comes to the show, it's one of the better animated shows in years. The action scenes are pretty fantastic. The manga is also huge. I'm pretty sure it was big before the show, but after the first season it became one of the best selling manga of all time. It's a very good show, with some pretty cool fights in it.

RE: anime theatrical releases outside of Japan - ska oreo - 05-11-2021

(04-27-2021, 09:32 PM)justinslot Wrote: That Demon Slayer movie is in wide release in American theaters right now...apparently it's set between two seasons of the show. The popularity of this property baffles me, from the little I've seen it looks like pretty standard action stuff but the movie has somehow eclipsed Spirited Away as the highest grossing Japanese movie ever.

The appeal of Demon Slayer is that its classic shounen tropes done extremely well.  It doesnt' do any thing particularly new, but it looks absolutely amazing, has some really fun fights and cool characters.  It's not my favorite anime in the last couple of years (that goes to Jujutsu Kaisen which is very much the show that revolutionizes the genre), but it's not hard to see why people are into it.

The movie is good, but it's pretty much just there to set up the next major arc.

RE: anime theatrical releases outside of Japan - doc happenin - 08-15-2021

Not sure where else to post this, but Amazon Prime has the entire Evangelion ReBuild series available for viewing. Neon Genesis is my all time favorite anime series, so I'm excited.

Didn't feel it warranted an entirely new thread!

RE: anime theatrical releases outside of Japan - mondguy - 08-30-2021

In the same vein, Gkids has announced their multiple editions of the Evangelion series (including Death/Rebirth and End of Eva)

https://store.gkids.com/pages/neon-genesis-evangelion#ultimate-edition