The Trouble City Forums
DUMBO (Live Action) Pre Release Thread - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: DUMBO (Live Action) Pre Release Thread (/showthread.php?tid=160348)

Pages: 1 2

DUMBO (Live Action) Pre Release Thread - Judas Booth - 06-13-2018

First trailer:

I love the original cartoon and I'll be honest, this live version looks charming as hell. This feels like it might be the right pairing of director and material.

RE: DUMBO (Live Action) Pre Release Thread - boone daniels - 06-13-2018

The Burton-DeVito-Keaton reunion has a lot of potential. This looks like it's set in a more "grounded" world than some of Burton's more recent material, and he's always best when he has to have the "mundane" world run up against the odd. I want to hear dialogue but it looks fun.

RE: DUMBO (Live Action) Pre Release Thread - Judas Booth - 06-13-2018

Man, I absolutely love all of the shots of Dumbo that we're seeing. He looks amazing.

RE: DUMBO (Live Action) Pre Release Thread - bartleby_scriven - 06-13-2018

This is a really great video about how animated films influence people, specifically Mikey here, and the section on Dumbo points out just how bonkers the old movie is:

MichaelM and I made fun of Burton quite a bit on Facebook this morning, but I do think this movie has potential to at least have some pretty visuals.

Also hilarious to see Burton's next wife Eva Green show up again.

RE: DUMBO (Live Action) Pre Release Thread - MichaelM - 06-13-2018

I can't wait to learn Dumbo's backstory about his emotionally unavailable father!

Elephant doesn't look particularly special to me. It's photo-real in the way that CGI often is. Too smooth.

(06-13-2018, 10:14 AM)boone daniels Wrote: Elephant doesn't look particularly special to me. It's photo-real in the way that CGI often is. Too smooth.

Note to self: Boone has no soul.

There's no texture to it. Rest of the movie looks good! The elephant needs work.

RE: DUMBO (Live Action) Pre Release Thread - Richard Dickson - 06-13-2018

If nothing else, "Pink Elephants on Parade" directed by Burton should be quite the show.

(06-13-2018, 10:25 AM)boone daniels Wrote: There's no texture to it. Rest of the movie looks good! The elephant needs work.

It's not out until next year, so we'll probably see a few more passes through rendering.
Still, I think he looks great, and those eyes are perfect.

RE: DUMBO (Live Action) Pre Release Thread - vtran - 06-13-2018

So, we're just doomed to have live action/CGI versions of all the old Disney animated movies?

Yup. I believe Emma Stone as Cruella de Vil is up next after Favreau's Lion King.

(06-13-2018, 10:35 AM)vtran Wrote: So, we're just doomed to have live action/CGI versions of all the old Disney animated movies?

Why do something new when people are more than content to cough up money for shit they've already seen?

RE: DUMBO (Live Action) Pre Release Thread - bailey - 06-13-2018

No sad piano version of When I See An Elephant Fly? Fuck this trailer!

Dumbo is my favorite Disney movie. I'm not even going to give this the chance to become my least favorite Disney movie.

Oh shit, I'd forgotten Guy Ritchie's Aladdin is before Lion King and Mulan is after.

Aye yi yi.

I'll admit to being genuinely excited/hopeful for Mulan. But that's because it'll feature primarily humans and isn't just a photoreal digitally animated version of the 2D animated version. (Though I'm sure it'll be full of digital effects and scenes.)

This Dumbo seems an organic reaction to adapting to live action, adding more human characters (and not having the animals talk?).

I can't even imagine Favreau's Lion King. Unless you add, like a poacher subplot or something it's his Jungle Book without a single human character.

So...an animated movie. Like the original.

There's also a MALEFICENT (along with CINDERELLA the best one of these so far) sequel coming.

surprised a BAMBI live action movie hasn't been announced.

or has it?

Gimme Hercules with an actual Greek guy in the lead.

Then Hunchback, with Jason Alexander reprising his classic role. "I'm losing to a bird!"

I think they're going to burn through some (all) of the Disney Renaissance titles before we get to Bambi.

We've also got MARY POPPINS RETURNS coming.

Given some of the controversy over the casting of the HUNCHBACK stage musical, I think we may have to wait a while for the remake - which probably won't include gargoyles.

I look at these the way I look at the Marvel or Star Wars movies, where the execution is what matters rather than the idea altogether. Unlike Marvel, but more like Star War, it tends to be pretty filmmaker dependent on their success. Branagh, Favreau, and Condon have all done good to excellent work. I also think a lot of it has to do with "how much do they flesh out the world, while still feeling true to the original text in some regard?" Beauty was probably the least successful at that. Maleficent's a good case study.

Cinderella was very good. Blanchett is fierce in it!

I can't hold Beauty and the Beast against anyone, because my wife and daughters love it and they're the target audience.

RE: DUMBO (Live Action) Pre Release Thread - Dent6084 - 06-13-2018

How dare they put Baby Mine through the "sad/creepy trailer remix" machine.

Should've been Pink Elephants on Parade.

RE: DUMBO (Live Action) Pre Release Thread - mike j - 06-13-2018

Looks as dull as the other live-action adaptations.

RE: DUMBO (Live Action) Pre Release Thread - hammerhead - 06-13-2018

Without talking animal characters, how does this version get to "Pink Elephants on Parade"? Does the little girl get Dumbo drunk?

RE: DUMBO (Live Action) Pre Release Thread - Codename - 06-13-2018

I thought that was a delightful trailer.

RE: DUMBO (Live Action) Pre Release Thread - simbob - 06-13-2018

I'm liking what I saw of the trailer. Forgot this was even coming up, but now I'm kind of interested.

(06-13-2018, 10:35 AM)vtran Wrote: So, we're just doomed to have live action/CGI versions of all the old Disney animated movies?

I thought this hadn't been known since 2010 when they announced their live action plans for their cartoons along with Fincher's 20000 Leagues Under the Sea and Del Toro's Haunted Mansion movie. 

(06-13-2018, 10:38 AM)MichaelM Wrote:

Why do something new when people are more than content to cough up money for shit they've already seen?

Hey, Disney didn't destroy US copyright for nothing you know.

RE: DUMBO (Live Action) Pre Release Thread - Andy Bain II - 06-13-2018

Needs more racially stereotyped crows and talking mice.

Also, that train had better fucking sing.

RE: DUMBO (Live Action) Pre Release Thread - Paul C - 06-13-2018

(06-13-2018, 10:01 AM)MichaelM Wrote: I can't wait to learn Dumbo's backstory about his emotionally unavailable father!

To be fair, a movie about Dumbo’s backstory and angst over his parents is basically... Dumbo. All he needs is a gender swap on the mum to get those daddy issues in.

Googled it and I’m stunned they didn’t do a straight to video Dumbo II (though it turns out they very nearly did). The further adventures of flying Dumbo is about the only classic Disney sequel pitch that you might actually do something with.

I’m betting there will be a lot more flying stuff here than just at the very end.

(06-13-2018, 03:00 PM)Codename Wrote: I thought that was a delightful trailer.

Thank you.  Glad to know that I wasn't the only one who enjoyed that trailer.

RE: DUMBO (Live Action) Pre Release Thread - Dent6084 - 06-13-2018

I assume Farrell and his kids will provide whatever daddy issues Burton requires. Also, I think Farrell's character only has one arm?

Anyway, w/ the original: it's a charming film that has two of the absolute standout Golden Age sequences in Disney history (Baby Mine and Pink Elephants on Parade) but isn't quite up there with, say, Pinocchio, so I'm fine w/ them taking another swing at it.

There seems to be a lot of bad faith, as always, that anything shred of criticism about something automatically equates to "not enjoying" something. And people wonder why the boards have problems.

RE: DUMBO (Live Action) Pre Release Thread - episode29 - 06-13-2018

I kinda love this trailer.... Right up until the "Screenplay by Ehren Kruger" credit. That part greatly concerns me. And Burton isn't known for recognizing serious script issues.

(06-13-2018, 04:12 PM)boone daniels Wrote: There seems to be a lot of bad faith, as always, that anything shred of criticism about something automatically equates to "not enjoying" something. And people wonder why the boards have problems.

Criticism is one thing.  Plenty of people are in FUCK THIS SHIT mode in the thread already, though.  That's their right, but man.

Right, I'm just pointing out that, per your last post, you're not "the only one" who enjoyed the trailer.