The Trouble City Forums
SHAUN OF THE DEAD discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Main Street (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focused Film Discussion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: SHAUN OF THE DEAD discussion (/showthread.php?tid=69169)

Pages: 1 2

SHAUN OF THE DEAD discussion - andrew joe - 08-20-2004

..........You've got red on you.

- kreizler - 08-20-2004

Is this going to be wide, or eventually wide?

- robotpals - 08-20-2004

Loved this movie. Worth every bit of hype, if you can call a few geeks on internet boards gooing over it hype...

- andrew joe - 08-20-2004

Quote:

Originally Posted by robotpals

Loved this movie. Worth every bit of hype, if you can call a few geeks on internet boards gooing over it hype...

ditto, loved the repetition of key moments from the first half hour used in a completely different context, their dialogue is excellent stuff. Exceptional gore as well, the best Romero zombie film that's not Romero. Hundred times better than Dawn of the Dead 2004 in about every aspect. You feel for the characters, you want them to make it through the film.

- z-man - 08-20-2004

This movie reminds me of Hedwig and the Angry Inch: I read about it, it sounded like a fun movie, right up my alley, and when I finally saw it it lived up to all expectations, but at the same time ended up being something much more than I had hoped for. It's not just a great zombie comedy, it's a great movie. Period.

- moovyphreak - 08-23-2004

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kreizler

Is this going to be wide, or eventually wide?

Last I read, it was going wide on opening day (September 24th.)

- robotpals - 08-23-2004

Quote:

Originally Posted by moovyphreak

Last I read, it was going wide on opening day (September 24th.)

So it won't be up against RESIDENT EVIL? Damn! Of course, since SHAUN OF THE DEAD has zombies in it, it wouldn't be like the movies have anything in common, but it still would've been neat if SHAUN slapped Alice down.

- bladezero - 08-23-2004

This is one of those films you'll never tire of. I mean this movie had me rollin' at alot of parts, it's really what the comedy genre needed to breathe new life into it. Hopefully this film has a good stateside release, as this is a film that should create itself as a landmark, I can't even wait to see the damn Shaun cameo n shit in Land of the Dead HAHA.

I can't believe it! - ash88 - 08-25-2004

I'm from the UK and i saw Shaun of the Dead some months ago. Now i really liked it but i can't believe how hyped its got on its upcoming US release! I mean, this is NOT the best comedy ever made and NOT the best Zombie film ever made! Now that's what people are hyping it up to be. You see, even though it comes close it has so many british refrences i just can't see the americans are digging it. But they are...they are!!! TOTAL MADNESS!!!

Now i would give this movie a 8/10 but not 9/10 or 10/10 like all these critics are giving it on these film sites! It's gd but i fear its being over-hyped which will ruin it.

Maybe i have to see it again as i only saw it once????

Maybe!

But please don't over-hype this film! Even though it kicked the dawn of the dead's rear ass all the way to the north pole!

But i'll be buying this, to get a proper opinion on it. Im a fan of american and british humour by the way!

anyway c ya all round
ASH

- ash88 - 08-25-2004

by Dawn of the Dead i mean the remake just in case u rear fiery demons upon my house!

- andrew joe - 08-25-2004

Quote:

Originally Posted by ash88

by Dawn of the Dead i mean the remake just in case u rear fiery demons upon my house!

Oh it's too late, the demons are on the way.

Caught a trailer of it before Garden State and the audience fucking loved it, and the guy behind me burst with laughter when the title popped up. It's actually really odd to tell people about a movie called "Sahun of the Dead" when I was watching the trailer in Pc class a few months ago the guy walking by stopped and watched it and asked me if it was a real movie.

- ken savage - 08-26-2004

This is a fantasic film, I was going to write a review for the readers section but have yet to get round to it (and much better scribes than i already have). Its not Spaced though - don't go in expecting spaced but do go in expecting one of the best comedy horror films you will ever see.

- dan whitehead - 08-26-2004

Just watched the US trailer. Plus marks for using the L7 song, massive negative marks for Cheesy Voiceover Guy who pretty much negates the deadpan humour of the footage. Also, I think it's amazing that this supposedly green-band trailer still contains the line "fucking hell!" which slipped into the UK promos as well. Listen out when Shaun and Ed leap up from the couch (just after the "from his sofa" line from Voiceover Guy).

- andrew joe - 08-26-2004

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Whitehead

Just watched the US trailer. Plus marks for using the L7 song, massive negative marks for Cheesy Voiceover Guy who pretty much negates the deadpan humour of the footage. Also, I think it's amazing that this supposedly green-band trailer still contains the line "fucking hell!" which slipped into the UK promos as well. Listen out when Shaun and Ed leap up from the couch (just after the "from his sofa" line from Voiceover Guy).

I think because "Oh FUCKING 'ell!" is buried under a lot of commotion they didn't realize it. I do agree the movie voice guy is completely un-neccesary. Shame that the films only weakness right now is that most normies don't know what it is, EW didn't even cover it in their Fall preview, those bastards.

What's the other song in the trailer besides the L7? From when they have the "Ever feel like you're turning into....a zombie?"

PS: Bad review - http://www.rte.ie/arts/2004/0407/shaunofthedead.html

- elbraminano - 08-27-2004

Possibly my favorite film ever made. I was able to catch it with my best friend at a screening in Chicago and meet Pegg, Frost and Wright afterwards. I have my Spaced DVD box signed by the trio. For those of you all who love the film, I suggest joining the Shaun Squad online community.

http://www.shaunsquad.com/shaunsquad/?u=Rick

- andrew joe - 08-28-2004

Lucky man, Vancouver never really gets anything like that.

Enjoy this wallapaper y'all: http://www.shaunofthedead.co.uk/cont...llpapers/1.jpg

Been busy trying to play the flash agme on the films website, damn it is that game ever hard to play with a laggy mac, I HATE macs.....

- andrew joe - 08-28-2004

*Deleted due to double post* sorry

- moovyphreak - 09-03-2004

I saw the film last night at the CHUD screening in Atlanta and absolutely LOVED it! This film is a perfect representation of why Brit comedies are so much more enjoyable than most mainstream U.S. crap. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost were hilarious as flatmates Shaun and Ed, who battle the zombie infestation of London while hilarity ensues.

This film is certainly one of my favorites this year and I can't wait to see it again when it opens in a few weeks. It was also great seeing Lucy Davis and Martin Freeman from The Office in the film in supporting roles.

I cannot recommend this film enough, especially to fans of Dawn of the Dead and other zombie flicks.

8.7 out of 10

- micah robinson - 09-03-2004

After seeing it on the big screen and enjoying a hilarious Q& A with the stars/writers/director, it's my number one this year easy. So well-made, so well-acted, so creative, and so funny.

- Kevin Matchstick - 09-03-2004

I loved it because it was great.

- agent 86 - 09-03-2004

I love it because it is great.

- micah robinson - 09-03-2004

It was great because I loved it.

- agent 86 - 09-03-2004

Great it was, I loved it because.

- oppressedwriter - 09-03-2004

Loved it that I did, great it was.

- Kevin Matchstick - 09-03-2004

For this, I am sorry.

- martianman - 09-03-2004

I'll add to the love fest...very funny movie. I saw it with the other CHUD folk last night. Comedy/horror done much better than "Club Dread", IMO. And I liked "Club Dread" as well, but this just combined the comedy/horror aspects much more effectively. And my wife didn't get the "I'm sorry..." joke until I explained it to her after the movie.

- flyarz - 09-03-2004

Will hilarity ensue in this thread?

Hilarity, oh yeah. - oppressedwriter - 09-03-2004

Hilarity will ensue in about 35 minutes. So if you want to just drop by then I'm sure we can meet your humor needs.

- andrew joe - 09-04-2004

I was talking online with someone who watched some of the comic extras on the Shaun DVD that fills in the missing bits like where Dianne goes at the end and what happens to Shaun when he lures the zombies away.

especially love when they're sitting there listening to the newscaster say there's chaos on the motorways and how grim everything is and Ed just goes "Think this is the same thing?"

Hope to see this with a packed audience raking in fat sacks of cash this month.

- batty [roy] - 09-04-2004

"Can I get - - - any o' you cunts a drink?"

This is the first comedy/zombie movie, that I've EVER liked.

I laughed out loud many times during this movie.

- rob rocco - 09-07-2004

I had a great time at this movie. There were so many huge laughs I'll have to see the film a couple more times to catch all the dialogue.

Highlights that spring to mind: The couple necking outside the pub; 'White Lines' with a guest chorus; "Sorry, Shaun."; Shaun in front of the ice cream freezer at the convenience shop; sorting through the record bin...too many great moments to list.

The Q/A with Wright, Pegg, and Frost was a bit uneven at times thanks to some truly bizarre questions, which Wright and Pegg handled with patience and class. It was nice to get out to see the local Chewers again too.

Thanks again for the pass, Nick!

[most of this post was cribbed from the Atlanta Stuff > Shaun of the Dead passes thread]

- ken savage - 09-07-2004

I to bought the dvd last night, there are some simply fantastic extras that come with it. The best of which is the man who would be shaun which is Nick Frost and Simon Pegg re-doing a scene from the film in the style of Shaun Connery and Micheal Caine.

But the film itself is still one of the best i have seen this year and it deserves the hype,

- Misfit - 09-07-2004

Believe the hype. It's as good as everyone says.

- yellowsamuel - 09-08-2004

Amazing DVD, genuinely hilarious extras, like the afformentioned 'Plot Holes' comics, and 'The Man Who Would Be Shaun'. There's also an original, very long Shaun story comic on the DVD which I havent read properly yet, and some hilarious outtakes and such. The 14 extended scenes are all fairly minor, but the commentry that compliments them is very intuative. I havent started on any of the 4 commentries or the many docs yet.

Amazing package, and despite all this, still a single discer. Makes you laugh at some of the Studio 2-discers with maybe one commentary on disc one and then two docs on the second disc. Here we have the film, 14 extended scenes, 4 comentries, about 4-5 docs, trailers/TV spots, TV sequences from the film in full, and even MORE other features I can't be bothered to type up. It's absoultely packed, with no loss at all in picture quality.

- jim barg - 09-08-2004

Lucky bastards. Just caught a peek at the future booking list at work today, and we'll be getting this on the 24th. I can't wait...