Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Dead Celebrity Thread
(03-24-2019, 01:53 PM)isao kanemasa Wrote: Q was my very first R-rated movie that my dad took me to (I was 10) because he thought it was some dopey monster movie from the poster. 

I want to believe that seeing David Carradine's name listed and thusly associating the film with the gently soothing presence of TV's Kwai Chang Caine helped lull your dad into a false sense of security.
Only to be met with the madcap energy of Michael Moriarty!

Return to Salem's Lots is criminally underrated.  Sam Fuller as a vampire hunter, what more can you want?
I think I just begged him to take me when I saw that full page ad in the newspaper, or the coming soon poster hanging at the local theater.

Actually, in looking at what other films were out around that time, it turns out I had seen FIRST BLOOD w/ my dad earlier that month. But other than the Vietcong knife carving across his chest or the self-stitching scene, the graphic violence in it hadn't stood out that much. Maybe it's because I had such a comfortable relationship w/ Sly through ROCKY 1-3.
The most important thing in life is broads. Broads!
If I had a kid that age I would probably be ok with taking them to see First Blood. And telling them that Galt had it coming.

(03-24-2019, 02:36 PM)atomtastic Wrote: Return to Salem's Lots is criminally underrated.  Sam Fuller as a vampire hunter, what more can you want?

Fuller is hilarious in Return. So old and cranky. A must see for fans of his work and persona.
Great 2012 article by Cohen on directing Bette Davis' last film - https://www.filmcomment.com/article/i-ki...tte-davis/
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
Joe Pilato, Captain Rhoades from DAY OF THE DEAD, has passed.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/news/35525...o-died-70/
Oh man, I just saw him in Effects.
who is gonna run this monkey farm now??
Goddamn. He made a lasting impact in DOTD too. RIP, another fave 80's horror icon.

Now let me tell an anecdote about how we smuggled in this VHS to watch in my high school class in Japan after finals week...
The most important thing in life is broads. Broads!
I love how everyone in Day of the Dead is just yelling the whole time.
Hope he told Death to choke on it. RIP Joe.
-"You're not going insane - you're going sane in a crazy world!"
-The Tick
There was a while - from maybe 2002 to 2005 or so - where Joe Pilato was the board's semi-honorary mascot. Lot of threads about that guy's delivery.
home taping is killing music
By coincidence I just rewatched Pulp Fiction, and there is Pilato in the background at Jack Rabbit Slims. Great "movie stuff I just realized" timing there.
French New Wave legend Agnes Varda, 90.

British cinema's go-to American (actually he was Canadian), Shane Rimmer, 89.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
(03-29-2019, 05:50 PM)hammerhead Wrote: British cinema's go-to American (actually he was Canadian), Shane Rimmer, 89.

I know he wasn’t but it sure seemed like he was in every Bond movie until GoldenEye.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
"Whatsa matter, crewman? Ya never seen a Major take a shower before?"
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
That's the exact line that I was thinking of..
Seymour Cassel. Seems like the last gasp of a certain kind of character actor.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/s...84-1102383
Like a lot of people, I think, I mostly know Cassel from his small roles in Wes Anderson's movies, but he was always wonderful and memorable in those.
Originally posted by Schwartz on Cool as Ice ("When a girl has a heart of stone, there's only one way to melt it. Just add Ice."):
"It's not just a mixed metaphor, or that the stone is one that is melting...but the ice is actually making it melt. (kisses fingers) Magnifique."
Fun fact - Cassell's son was friends with a young Saul Hudson, who Cassell dubbed "Slash."

So, yeah, he gave Slash his nickname.

A Hawaiian shirt is like a cash gift - always appropriate
Charles Van Doren.

The real ending to Big...
Hopefully he was able to take the third part last.
UFO's keyboard/guitar player Paul Raymond died of a heart attack
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/paul-ray...dRsrIJSsE8
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!
Scifi writer Gene Wolfe.
God dammit. Terminus Est.
A true titan of the genre.
"Dictatorships foster oppression, dictatorships foster servitude, dictatorships foster cruelty; more abominable is the fact that they foster idiocy."

Xbox Live Gamer Tag: Strider Ryoken / PSN: Kenryo81 /Steam: Ryoken81
Georgia Engel, best known for playing Georgette on THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW, at age 70.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
Wow, I thought she was older than that, given how long ago the MTM show aired.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(04-16-2019, 09:25 AM)MichaelM Wrote: Wow, I thought she was older than that, given how long ago the MTM show aired.

Same here.

----------

(04-15-2019, 11:07 PM)turingmachine75 Wrote: Scifi writer Gene Wolfe.

Damn. I just started getting into "The Book of the New Sun" (read The Shadow of the Torturer, still looking for the right edition of The Claw of the Conciliator with the rad cover art because that's something I care strongly about for some reason). Definitely a weird, immersive world he created there.
Originally posted by Schwartz on Cool as Ice ("When a girl has a heart of stone, there's only one way to melt it. Just add Ice."):
"It's not just a mixed metaphor, or that the stone is one that is melting...but the ice is actually making it melt. (kisses fingers) Magnifique."
One of my favorite series. Still don't understand half of it.
Kazuhiko Katō, also known as Monkey Punch, the creator of Lupin III. 81 years old.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20...ay/.145797
“That which doesn't kill you wasn't done right.”—Khaya Dlanga
(04-16-2019, 02:53 PM)turingmachine75 Wrote: One of my favorite series. Still don't understand half of it.

I should give it another try. My first attempt was a couple of decades ago at least. Maybe my reading tastes have caught up to the series.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(04-16-2019, 03:48 PM)michael shaver Wrote: Kazuhiko Katō, also known as Monkey Punch, the creator of Lupin III. 81 years old.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20...ay/.145797

Oddly enough, I just rewatched THE CASTLE OF CAGLIOSTRO a week ago.  Such a fun movie.
Gene Wolfe is the writer that got me back into reading. There was a lull of a few years after high school where I only read the occasional book, some Philip K Dick here and there if I needed something for a long flight. When I picked up Shadow and Claw from the library, Wolfe showed me things I'd never seen before in any medium.

I voraciously devoured his output after that. I had all 13 Sun books on my shelf within 2 years (all brilliant, but I still don't get most of Return to the Whorl). Latro in the Mist, Island of Doctor Death and other and other short story collections, loved them all.

I had fantasized about being able to meet him one day, maybe pick his brain over afternoon tea. He's one of the greatest literary minds in recent history.
Writer Kazuo Koike, author of Lone Wolf and Cub, has died at the age of 82. That's two big losses in the world of manga in as many days.

https://www.cbr.com/lone-wolf-and-cub-ka...sses-away/

----------