Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite closing lines?
Not a best quotes threads, we have enough of those. But i was watching Fight Club the other day and that final line felt so good. "You met me at a very strange time in my life" just works and works in spades to close the film.

What other great lines close films?

Let's try not to go Casablanca, Gone with the Wind here. More obscure (and i know i didn't go obscure but still)
"Thanks for coming, please stay for the end credits, if you're wondering who the best boy is, it's somebody's nephew, um, don't forget to validate your parking, and to all you good people in the Midwest, sorry we said fuck so much."
Also on the Fincher / Pitt tip, Se7en's closing line is great:

"Ernest Hemingway once wrote, 'The world is a fine place, and worth fighting for.' I agree with the second part..."
Dawn of the Dead.

"How much fuel do we have?"
"Not much."
"Alright."

Such a great segway from the uplifting moments of Peter kicking ass, fighting through hordes of zombies, not getting bite and getting to the chopper in the nick of time getting out alive with Frannie. Then that little moment basically telling us "They're fucked."
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tati
View Post
Not a best quotes threads, we have enough of those. But i was watching Fight Club the other day and that final line felt so good. "You met me at a very strange time in my life" just works and works in spades to close the film.

What other great lines close films?

Let's try not to go Casablanca, Gone with the Wind here. More obscure (and i know i didn't go obscure but still)

The final voice over at the end of Fallen Angels.

I just watched the end of Notorious the other day, and I love how the move ends with the Nazi's calling Claude Rains into his house. Such a strange way to end, but perfect all the same. The line itself is fairly innocent sounding. "Alex? Please come in here. We have something to discuss with you." But it tells you everything you need to know.

Not really obscure, but I like the last exchange in Touch of Evil.
"Nice shootin', son. What's your name?"
"Murphy."
If someone tries to tell you that they either didn't cheer or pump their fist after this line, they are a liar.
"Shut up and deal" and "Nobody's perfect!" are classics, I guess, but damn Wilder and Diamond knew how to send you out with a big fucking grin on your face.

I really love "Baby, you are gonna miss your plane". Just the right level of both wish fulfilment and ambiguity - a perfect combination.

Too soon to mention, "This just might be my masterpiece"?
Not exactly obscure, but:

"I used to hate the water."
"I can't imagine why."

For me this was a triumph of tone. JAWS is swimming with tonal shifts, from suspense to high seas adventure to horror, and I love the way this last exchange ends the film with just a taste of brightness. It's a perfectly succinct little tension breaker.
I've not ever really seen the movie get much love, but I always liked the closing monologue from 'Fallen', seeing as it pretty much turns almost everything that's just happened on its head.
Shane! Come back!

That one brings tears to my eyes, dammit.

Also, no matter how you feel about it, "Memento"'s final line is pitch perfect:

Now... where was I?
Another big one and fairly recent. On the first Pirates of the Caribbean "Now... bring me that horizon"

Sums up the spirit of the character and the freedom of piracy the film tried to evoke. And sends you out cheering.
'Well, there's some good and there's some bad news. The good news is you're right - I'm a cop and I've gotta take you in. The bad news is I've been suspended and I don't give a fuck.'

END MOVIE

From 'Cop', starring James Woods. It encapsulates everything that his character has gone through to a T.
Its kinda cheesy, but I still love it 8saw it a few nights ago on cable)

"For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home. " (Gattaca)

Also, gotta give Nic Cage some love for how great he sells this one:

"Honey? Uh... You wanna know who really killed JFK? " (The Rock)
"Thank you boys, thank you."-Dead Poets Society

The line and the look on Mr. Keating's face when he says it makes me tear up every time, and I've seen Dead Poets Society dozens of times.
For those of us without encyclopedic recall of all films, requesting that you cite the film the line is from? Most of the above posts do, but it'd be cool to know what movie you're quoting.

ryoken's quote from Kiss Kiss Bang Bang would've been the one I cited.
"The truth is....
I am Iron Man."

and

"Hey what's wrong baby??"
( THEY LIVE)
Also:

"Oh, it's you....okay."-The Departed
Childs: What do we do now?
MacReady: Why don't we just wait here for a little while... see what happens...
Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelM
View Post
For those of us without encyclopedic recall of all films, requesting that you cite the film the line is from? Most of the above posts do, but it'd be cool to know what movie you're quoting.

ryoken's quote from Kiss Kiss Bang Bang would've been the one I cited.

Mine's from ROBOCOP, in case you were curious.
And then I woke up...

NCFOM
"I'm finished"

/win
"Hey Yankees, you can take your trophy and your apology and shove'em straight up your ass!

And another thing, wait till next year!"

Followed by the kids dumping beer on each other to the strains of "Toreador" from Carmen. I love THE BAD NEWS BEARS.

"This is Ripley, last survivor of the Nostromo, signing off. Come on, cat."

Can you beat ALIEN? No you can't.

"I am the blacksmith."
"And I am the King of England."
"I am the blacksmith."

From KINGDOM OF HEAVEN.

I could throw GLADIATOR on here, too. Maybe I just love Ridley Scott too much.

edited for spelling
"HEY BLONDIE! YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE? YOU'RE JUST A SON OF A---"

AHHuhhhAHHHuhhhAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
"Yes, yes he does" - Con Air.

Because somehow, everyone's really happy that total psychopath gets to wander off into the night.
"Two more months..."
"Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it."-Big Trouble in Little China
Quote:

Originally Posted by Parker
View Post
"HEY BLONDIE! YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE? YOU'RE JUST A SON OF A---"

AHHuhhhAHHHuhhhAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

That's the winner for me. Well played, sir.
"My name? If you knew that, you'd be as clever as me"

One of my favorite endings of any film from the 2000s.
Al Czervik: Hey everybody, we're all gonna get laid!
"I'm in insurance"

- Twelve Monkeys
Sorry, I know nothing reeks of "quote thread" like a line from Fletch, but I love Chevy's voiceover sign-off:

"By the way, I charged the entire vacation to Mr Underhill's American Express card. Want the number?"
"You know somethin', Utivich? I think this might just be my masterpiece."
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Thomas
View Post
Too soon to mention, "This just might be my masterpiece"?

Not for me. I'd also support The Thing (obviously.) Perfect.
"The Killing Fields" last line can really destroy you:

"Nothing to forgive, Sydney. Nothing."

Also, "Run Lola Run" ends up in such a great note:

"What's in the bag?"
"Stand still, Godfrey, it'll all be over in a minute."