Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Star Trek Thread

Funny, I was just thinking about those future wars on the road to Federation myself.

Re: Riker, I haven't re-watched much of TNG since it aired and I still remember how distracting it was that he was being set up as a Kirk surrogate. I remember seeing Frakes at a convention that year-- he'd grown the beard and was hoping the show would let him keep it.

Pardon the ALL CAPS RODDENBERRY speak I was doing, but that's how I "hear" Roddenberry when described by other people.  Roddenberry's quotes in Stephen E. Whitfield's ancient "The Making of Star Trek" are in all caps, and I would swear that's how Roddenberry also comes across through quotes and memos described in Shatner's books.  Gene was apparently a very tall man with experience in both military and police work, but again, when you actually hear interviews or see old video footage, Roddenberry comes across as a very gentle soul.  A man of many contradictions, I guess.

ARegarding the future wars, at least before FIRST CONTACT, I think Roddenberry's idea was that humanity had reached such a low point that there was just a general fatigue over war and conflict, pivoting humanity to what it eventually became by Kirk's time.

It was always kept vague, which I'm glad because I think Moore and Braga's idea of humanity recovered was well summed up in FIRST CONTACT. It's a very optimistic take, but I roll with it because after all that humanity has gone through, the arrival of the Vulcans ultimately open their eyes that they're part of a much larger community. I especially like the touch that it wasn't something done overnight. Even after making first contact with Vulcans, humanity still had another 50 years to sort their shit out, and then ENTERPRISE showed that took another 50 years to even venture out into space.

But yeah, it's a good thing Gene became less involved. I do think the "NO CONFLICT!" thing tends to be exaggerated because we ultimately see in TNG that people are still very flawed much like in TOS. Like Data taking command of a ship and having to deal with an obstinate first officer. Riker and Jellico not getting along simply because they rub each other the wrong way, which is totally natural.

The most famous is Gene's "in the future, people accept death easily". He shot down a script about a grieving child on the enterprise losing his parents from an away mission. Piller cleverly twists that by showing the boy initially acting calm, and then Troi tells Picard, that this isn't normal, that the boy needs to grieve otherwise he'll let those bottled up emotions harm him as he grows up. I like it even has Wesley confront Picard, having him express how angry he was at him for surviving when his dad didn't.
AEarly Crusher and Troi though...

Troi could always have been put to better use, but as it was, most of the time whe was just there to state the obvious.  I think Beverly had some good scenes early on with Wesley and Picard, but I'm not sure what unique personality traits I would use to describe her to someone unfamiliar with the show.  Troi kind of falls into that trap as well.  I can describe their positions on the ship, but I'm not sure who they are as people.

AMy favorite use of Troi was when she was abducted by Spock's underground movement, surgically altered into a Romulan operative. Because of her empathic abilities, she's able to act the role necessary by manipulating the emotions of those around her. Sirtis is very good at holding her own. And really, as a therapist with empathic abilities, she could have been put to better use overall. In fact, she never displays her abilities at any pint in the movies except NEMESIS where she's inexplicably mind raped by Tom Hardy.

But yeah, she was AWFUL in the pilot that even she's surprised that she didn't get fired after that performance.

My favorite use of Troi is never.

Actually, I will admit that there was a time when I read a few Trek novels.  Imzadi aint that bad, from a "gotta find something to like about Troi" perspective. Although, the selling point of the book for me was its usage of the Guardian of Forever, the time portal appearing in the TOS episode "City on the Edge of Forever".  Also put to great use in the 1992 novel Yesterday's Son.

In my defense, I read both those book waaay back in very late 80s/early 90s high school, and I have managed to have sex since then. Several times.

A[quote name="Stale Elvis" url="/community/t/115578/the-star-trek-thread/5100#post_4130679"]I've just got Netflix and having burned through Starnger Things over 3 nights I've now turned my head towards ST: The Next Generation.

I've never been a Trek fan outside of the original movies and I remember trying to watch this as a teenager and never really warming to it. The transfer or broadcast quality over here in the UK made it look like it was shot on home video plus it was overly talky with only one or two standout episodes every now and again.

This new Hi-Def remastering with the remastered effects go a long way in improving it. But I've just forced myself to sit through Encounter at Farpoint and that was a fucking slog, let me tell you.

Episode 2 now - The Naked Now. Let's see if I have it in me to see this out to the end. The bitter end.[/quote]

Have you seen much of the original series? That's the go-to for me.
AEh, I've tried to watch the original series when I was a kid and again when the remastered HD versions came out a few years ago but I have to be honest they just come off overly dull and ponderous - I just couldn't get into them. I know they deal with some heavy-hitting themes but as a kid who was raised on Star Wars, original Star Trek just couldn't compete. It's the same reason I could really get into watching Doctor Who as a kid - there just wasn't the same fun or production values etc.

I love the original cast movies - the characters work well in those spaces for the allotted 2 hour run times, plus there very little staginess about the whole thing. The original series may have bee ground breaking sci-fi but to me it's just looks hokey now and I cant enjoy it for that reason alone. What can I say? I'm shallow.

I may well give the original series another go one day.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stale Elvis View Post

Eh, I've tried to watch the original series when I was a kid and again when the remastered HD versions came out a few years ago but I have to be honest they just come off overly dull and ponderous - I just couldn't get into them. I know they deal with some heavy-hitting themes but as a kid who was raised on Star Wars, original Star Trek just couldn't compete. It's the same reason I could really get into watching Doctor Who as a kid - there just wasn't the same fun or production values etc.

I love the original cast movies - the characters work well in those spaces for the allotted 2 hour run times, plus there very little staginess about the whole thing. The original series may have bee ground breaking sci-fi but to me it's just looks hokey now and I cant enjoy it for that reason alone. What can I say? I'm shallow.

I may well give the original series another go one day.

I felt the same way for a long time, but a recent curated experience with TOS has led me to really appreciate it. I did tend to avoid the, what I like to call, pizza monster episodes, but notables like "Balance of Terror", "City on the Edge of Forever" and "Space Seed" are must-sees.

TNG, however, can go to hell and die.

You, Sir, are a monster.

And that monster, sir, calls itself a Horta.

the new US Trek stamps.

A[quote name="stevehauk" url="/community/t/115578/the-star-trek-thread/5130#post_4130887"]

the new US Trek stamps.
[/quote]
Oh, I like those.
A[quote name="Hammerhead" url="/community/t/115578/the-star-trek-thread/5150#post_4130884"]And that monster, sir, calls itself a Horta.
[/quote]

?

He's saying you live in the dark and like to touch minors.

I was referring to the 'pizza monster' comment.

But really, aren't we all pizza monsters?

AHmm, dunno if TNG or any series will work for you Elvis.

"Code of Honor"

When you think of it, it's the first true TNG episode that isn't a pilot or remake/sequel. That said, fuuuuuuuuuuck. I'll just skip to it and say everything about this is just awful. Likely the worst of the season. But I'll give it some minor positive points below.

Data and Geordi: The first episode to pair them, and the chemistry already clicks. It's just one scene, but it's a nice diversion from the shit most of this episode gives.

The alien of the week have a the old school TOS transporter effect, so much it's even mentioned as such in dialogue as "old style".

Speaking of old style, Fred Steiner from TOS was to be a regular composer for this series along with McCarthy and Jones. As such, this may be the most TOS sounding score of TNG that it may as well have been an old recording they just took out of archives. Because of that, he got fired thus scoring duties were left to McCarthy and Jones.

You can hear most of it on this video:

[video]https://youtu.be/moOU1_2QoAY[/video]

Is it worse than Enterprise episode "Rajiin" (3x4)? I somehow made my way through this earlier despite it being absolutely terrible. I mean, I'll give the writing crew some props for attempting an "alien seductress" story as it's the type of thing you'd have found in TOS but, on the other hand, it's an "alien seductress" story and this isn't TOS.

"Actually, it's a phaser in my pocket but I'm also pleased to see you."

Also, is it me or does Scott Bakula seem like a really unlikely romantic hero? I just can't take him seriously when he's rubbing his hands all over a woman. It's like trying to imagine your father being sexy. It's just not right.  Then again, the weird flirtation scenes between Rajiin and Hoshi aren't any better. Or the scene where Rajiin and T'Pol have a fight in their pyjamas. There's not a lot in this episode that's better than anything really.

I suppose I liked the Xindi weapon that sticks on walls and then destroys everything near-by. It's nice to see actual alien weaponary instead of different colored laser beams flying around. And, uh, the fact that they remembered "Extinction" had happened and had Archer still recovering at the beginning.

I give this episode three sexy space rapists out of ten.

AI've been trudging through them and have just finished Episide 13 of season 1 - Datalore.

They're certainly not as plodding as the original series but the thing that bugged me as a kid still bugs me as an adult - Riker is an insufferable smug utter utter c. I detest him from his head to his toes and pray he'll get blown out into space although I know he won't. Honestly, on an away mission I'd shoot him in the back, I'd do the time and sleep like a baby.

Oh and everyone needs to stop being mean to Wesley.
ASeason one of TNG is a wasteland. Everybody knows that.
A[quote name="Stale Elvis" url="/community/t/115578/the-star-trek-thread/5150_50#post_4131048"]I've been trudging through them and have just finished Episide 13 of season 1 - Datalore.

They're certainly not as plodding as the original series but the thing that bugged me as a kid still bugs me as an adult - Riker is an insufferable smug utter utter c. I detest him from his head to his toes and pray he'll get blown out into space although I know he won't. Honestly, on an away mission I'd shoot him in the back, I'd do the time and sleep like a baby.

Oh and everyone needs to stop being mean to Wesley.[/quote]

It's Beardless Riker. Everything about it feels wrong.
ARiker likes jazz. I hate this man with a passion.
AJazz is great, you peasant!
AWait, Stale Elvis is hating on jazz?

I'll put up with a lot of shit, but that is going too fucking far.
AJazz is the epitome of bourgeois music.
A[Image: giphy.gif]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stale Elvis View Post

Riker likes jazz. I hate this man with a passion.

Wait... he loves Dixieland Jazz. Doesn't that put him in a more proletariat musical category?

AHe doesn't like Dixieland because "you can't dance to it".
AAlso what kind of sap falls in love with a computer simulation?

Picard walks in on him while he's doing the 24th Century's equivalent of flinging one out over Xhamster and neither of them are embarrassed by this.
ARiker is shameless. He falls in love with whatever moves every week. The holodeck is literally the place for him to get his rocks off.

[video]https://youtu.be/6lobo3c0NFg[/video]
ATh floor of the holodeck must be a stinky, sticky mess. I don't think anyone so emotionally unstable should be in second of command of the Federation flagship.

Ugh, Dixieland. That stuff's for tourists.

AIf I was the ship's computer subroutine responsible for jacking the crew off in the holodeck, I'd go berserk and try to kill the crew three times every season, too.
AIs it a surprise that we would invent anything in the future and ask "can I fuck it?"