Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Horror RECOMMENDATION or WARNING thread.
(03-02-2018, 04:29 AM)electrichead Wrote:

I've been looking for Lake Bodom myself. Did you stream it somewhere?

It's a Shudder exclusive so I did sign up for the service again and that was how I streamed it.

(03-02-2018, 06:30 AM)love machine Wrote:

Yep, everyone who visits Chud needs to see Train to Busan.  Maybe the best horror movie of the last couple of years IMHO (I've yet to see Get Out because I'm clearly an idiot).

You shouldn't feel bad; I got to see Train to Busan theatrically (regrettably it wasn't the best experience due to two cretins but I've talked about that before) and it wasn't until Saturday night that I finally watched Get Out. It was part of a movie marathon that AMC Theatres presented of half of the Best Picture nominees. Getting to see it with a big crowd was nice; they loved Rod and especially how the film ended. As it was great I feel foolish for not having seen Get Out March of last year.

(03-02-2018, 06:46 PM)call me roy Wrote: AChecked out Lake Bodom today.

Snooze fest...

I thought the movie was fine but I understand your opinion.

(03-02-2018, 07:38 PM)mike j Wrote:

Play it while wearing these glasses:

Yeah, Christopher Lee wearing that outfit and those glasses in Howling II was the height of absurdity.

(03-03-2018, 07:24 AM)mrsaxon Wrote:

Netflix suggested I watch 2013's Shelter (listed, oddly, on Rotten Tomatoes as 8 Souls) last night 

And IMDb has it as a 2010 movie called 6 Souls, but if it's no good then its name is pretty irrelevant.

Hopefully people know how to sign up for this site (the password thing is... act like you lost your password) and all the regulars return.
"If they made CITIZEN KANE now, it would star Danny McBride and Rosebud would be the title of his favorite spank magazine when he was a teenager. "-- engineer, talking about modern movie making

My Letterboxd Page
Train to Busan is awesome. Seoul Station, the animated prequel from the same director, is available on Shudder and is also worth a watch. Haven't got to Yeon Sang-ho's earlier films yet, but it is something I intend to do. Very impressed by his work.
I don't know what possessed me, but I watched the two sequels to Dracula 2000 (fun fact: Dracula 3000 is not a sequel).  

Dracula II: Ascension was particularly bad, never really doing much of anything; the characters never even realize which vampire they're dealing it.  There's a twist because everything needs a twist nowadays, but the one offered just makes things worse.

Dracula III: Legacy starts off where Ascension stopped, and it somehow takes that flick's garbage and turns it into mildly-fun trash.  It expands beyond an abandoned warehouse into a Romanian adventure where vampires have infiltrated politics and humans have started a resistance; it's far more ambitious than it needs to be.  Plus, Rutger Hauer plays Dracula a few years before he played Van Helsing for Dario Argento.  I mean, this is still bad and all, but I've seen far worse direct-to-video crap.

Weirdly, Roy Scheider appears briefly in both of these movies.  He deserved better.
I actually like Dracula 2. I mean I didn't buy the one guy taking the blood directly after seeing everything he saw but otherwise it was strong for straight to video.

The 3rd one however is really rough.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
How's The Ritual? Keep hearing good things about the creature, but I'm always wary of a lot of direct-to-Netflix stuff because it's so easy to be deceptive. Before, you could tell direct-to-video stuff was 99% terrible because the lack of budget and/or creative talent could be seen from a visual standpoint; however, the quality of equipment today is so good despite being affordable that it's easier to fool people. And I ain't got that kinda time.
General consensus is that The Ritual is pretty great.
I watched The Ritual last week and was pleasantly surprised.

Question: anyone seen 2011’s Kidnapped, An Uninvited Guest or You Are Not Alone?

Read a top ten list of home invasion films on Bloodydisgusting.com and those piqued my interest.
(03-06-2018, 01:22 PM)call me roy Wrote: You Are NitcAlibe?

?

Kidnapped absolutely sucked but the director redeemed himself with the post apocalyptic low budgeter Extinction a couple of years later.
Appreciate the feedback!
(03-06-2018, 12:43 PM)shaunh Wrote: How's The Ritual? Keep hearing good things about the creature, but I'm always wary of a lot of direct-to-Netflix stuff because it's so easy to be deceptive. Before, you could tell direct-to-video stuff was 99% terrible because the lack of budget and/or creative talent could be seen from a visual standpoint; however, the quality of equipment today is so good despite being affordable that it's easier to fool people. And I ain't got that kinda time.

THE RITUAL is a real movie.  It's a quality production.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
Knocked out season 1 of a rather cool Swedish TV series called Jordskott on Shudder. Moody foreign mystery shows are a dime a dozen but this one has more of a supernatural flavour and is considerably stranger than most, with lots of weird folklorey stuff going on. I think I have become addicted to those gorgeous, dense, mysterious Northern European forests (see also The Ritual, Lake Bodom). Recommended, if you can handle the fact that it is much more leisurely paced than the typical US show. Stick with it and you'll be rewarded. Onto season 2.
(03-05-2018, 09:47 PM)Adam_72 Wrote: Train to Busan is awesome. Seoul Station, the animated prequel from the same director, is available on Shudder and is also worth a watch. 

I love Busan yet I haven't seen Station, although that will change pretty soon.

(03-06-2018, 04:14 AM)iron maiden Wrote: I don't know what possessed me, but I watched the two sequels to Dracula 2000 (fun fact: Dracula 3000 is not a sequel).  

I only saw Dracula 2000 once, at least 15 years ago. I recall it being alright; I never bothered with the sequels due to their reputation.

(03-06-2018, 01:22 PM)call me roy Wrote:  Question: anyone seen 2011’s Kidnapped, An Uninvited Guest or You Are Not Alone?

No to all of them although Guest and Alone can be streamed via Amazon.

(03-06-2018, 06:39 PM)Adam_72 Wrote: Knocked out season 1 of a rather cool Swedish TV series called Jordskott on Shudder.

I am not much of a television watcher at all but that does sound intriguing.

Tonight I rewatched something I saw like 7 years ago and hated. Turns out, I still passionately dislike [Rec] 2. The person who long ago said that everyone acts like Hudson from Aliens... you are still spot-on with the description. I can't stand any of the characters, it is not that scary, there are many dumb moments, and yet it's the 3 teenagers that totally sink this. That is why I have never watched the 3rd and 4th ones, which are in general not as well-liked anyhow. It is a shame as the original [Rec] I always thought was pretty good.
"If they made CITIZEN KANE now, it would star Danny McBride and Rosebud would be the title of his favorite spank magazine when he was a teenager. "-- engineer, talking about modern movie making

My Letterboxd Page
(03-07-2018, 04:36 AM)the perfect weapon Wrote: Tonight I rewatched something I saw like 7 years ago and hated. Turns out, I still passionately dislike [Rec] 2. The person who long ago said that everyone acts like Hudson from Aliens... you are still spot-on with the description. I can't stand any of the characters, it is not that scary, there are many dumb moments, and yet it's the 3 teenagers that totally sink this. That is why I have never watched the 3rd and 4th ones, which are in general not as well-liked anyhow. It is a shame as the original [Rec] I always thought was pretty good.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of any of the [REC]s beyond the first one.

I also, controversially, do kind of enjoy the American remake, QUARANTINE, even if only to see the differences between the two iterations of the same story.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
(03-07-2018, 04:36 AM)the perfect weapon Wrote: Tonight I rewatched something I saw like 7 years ago and hated. Turns out, I still passionately dislike [Rec] 2. The person who long ago said that everyone acts like Hudson from Aliens... you are still spot-on with the description. I can't stand any of the characters, it is not that scary, there are many dumb moments, and yet it's the 3 teenagers that totally sink this.

Yeah, I hated this one back then too. Funnily enough, was thinking about giving it a second chance some time in the next few days while I still have an active Shudder subscription. But I love the original and it is hard to get past the traumatic memories of the sequel pissing all over its perfection.

Rewatched an old fave, Lake Placid. Why can't every movie be this entertaining? So much gold in there.

"I would cut him down, but there is this odd look of mayhem in his upside down face."

"Aren't you supposed to say go in karate?"

"This is the second time I've been hit with a severed head, and it upsets me!"
I finally caught Jack's Back, which didn't do a whole lot for me.  It's certainly gained a minor reputation over the years, so I was disappointed.  I mean, it's mildly entertaining and would probably pass with a rowdy midnight crowd, but the pieces fell into place a little too easy and it's not particularly well shot.

I did like "Red Harvest" by Paul Saax, though.  Funnily enough, my first thought was, "This sounds like a ripoff of Peter Gabriel's 'Red Rain,'" and that turned out to be right.  From what I read, the film was originally going to be called "Red Rain," and the director wanted to buy the rights to the Gabriel track.  Due to budgetary constraints, he had to settle for Paul Saax:

This song has never been released on CD, cassette or vinyl from what I'm seeing.
Adam_72 - thanks for the 'Jordskott' turn on. A lady comes back home when her father dies, and she becomes aware of a series of children dissapearing in the town. I'm 3 episodes into it and have avoided the ffwd button. It is slow but well photographed and acted, it pulls you into the on-going problem. With 'the woods' being held with such quiet respect by the locals it gives you an 'elemental forces' feeling of dread, kinda like the films The Ritual, Evil Dead or hints of Lovecraft. In an early episode a semi-comatose child is found by a nurse, standing at the window with one of her hands in the dirt of a potted flower. The nurse slowly pulls the girl's hand free of the dirt, and there's small roots growing out from the ends of her fingers! It's like you said, Swedish but there's English subtitles. I'm going ahead with watching season one.
Kinda makes me wonder about the end of this 1st series, knowing there's a 2nd series. Are they going to resolve anything or just continue into next season's show?
~The Ritual. I saw this way early on and wanted to comment on it here, but thot saying that it was a confirmed monster movie gave away the intent of the filmmakers. The movie has these guys experiencing stuff with no real evidence of the threat--one assumes it's the locals, but there's an elemental woodland creature they worship and we do get to see the monster at the end. Telling folks that yeah, there's a monster took a lot of the first view power of the movie. Eventually someone here used the M word and the mystery was ruined. Keep that in mind when you post, show some self-control and keep surprises to yourself for a while.
'Ask Klingon or Krell, my posts are swell'
I went ahead and started a sci-fi thread:

SciFi RECOMMENDATION or WARNING.
(03-08-2018, 12:17 PM)steve hauk Wrote: Kinda makes me wonder about the end of this 1st series, knowing there's a 2nd series. Are they going to resolve anything or just continue into next season's show?

Without spoiling too much, the main plot threads are mostly all resolved by the end of season 1, and in a surprisingly beautiful way. But with plenty of places still left to go in season 2 (those "elemental forces"!). Glad you're enjoying it.

(03-08-2018, 07:02 AM)iron maiden Wrote: I finally caught Jack's Back, which didn't do a whole lot for me. 

Spader gives a solid performance as always but otherwise Jack's Back sucks. And I'm usually a fan of weird Ripper related stories. Jack vs H.G. Wells in Time after Time. Jack vs Sherlock Holmes in Bob Clark's Murder by Decree. Jack vs Dracula in that old indie comic book "Blood of the Innocent". Jack vs Zach Galligan in Waxwork II, and David Hasselhoff in the TV movie Bridge Across Time (which takes place in Arizona lol)

I also recently used a free redbox on the Batman vs Jack the Ripper movie Gotham by Gaslight, which was ultimately kinda lame and stymied by the limits of what DC animated movies are allowed to show, but it had one HELL of a twist in there. One that I absolutely did not see coming, and did not remember from the old comic all those years ago.
Last weekend, I drove out to the Valley to the only theater in L.A. that was playing "Death House," a sort of horror movie "Expendables." Alas, it suffers from the same thing I don't like about "The Expendables:" it's mostly just old people standing around. The plot of "Death House" is completely incomprehensible. It's set in a prison with VR or whatever, and these two FBI agents show up, and they have amnesia for some reason, and they take a platonic shower together, and they put the same clothes back on after their shower, and there's a prison riot, and everyone wants to go to the ninth subterranean level of the prison to escape, and Tony Todd is menacing some woman in what is pretty much a different movie altogether.

Anyway, it's opening in more markets this weekend. You have been warned!
(03-07-2018, 01:10 PM)belloq87 Wrote: Yeah, I'm not a fan of any of the [REC]s beyond the first one.

I also, controversially, do kind of enjoy the American remake, QUARANTINE, even if only to see the differences between the two iterations of the same story.

The one time I saw Quarantine I thought it was not bad, even if a key plot point was changed.

(03-07-2018, 11:42 PM)Adam_72 Wrote: Yeah, I hated this one back then too. Funnily enough, was thinking about giving it a second chance some time in the next few days while I still have an active Shudder subscription. But I love the original and it is hard to get past the traumatic memories of the sequel pissing all over its perfection.

Well, you can still see it if you want, although there is a lot to see on Shudder so watching something else is understandable.

(03-08-2018, 07:02 AM)iron maiden Wrote: I finally caught Jack's Back, which didn't do a whole lot for me.

I did like "Red Harvest" by Paul Saax, though.

I do laugh at the thought of a famous Peter Gabriel song being in such a film.

(03-08-2018, 12:34 PM)mrbananagrabber Wrote: I went ahead and started a sci-fi thread:

Neat. I'll have to post in there whenever I see anything in the genre.

(03-09-2018, 02:59 AM)bradito Wrote: Last weekend, I drove out to the Valley to the only theater in L.A. that was playing "Death House," a sort of horror movie "Expendables."
The movie is not playing anywhere near me, which apparently isn't anything I should sweat. It has a very notable cast and while I rate highly the first two The Expendables on a fun level, what you said about the plot (it was written by Gunnar Hansen!) makes it sound like it would give me a headache trying to figure out what in the blue hell was going on.

My Letterboxd Page
Gunnar Hansen has a weird cameo.
(04-11-2016, 09:03 PM)mangy Wrote:

Just watched the German slasher Angst (1983) on Shudder (appears to be available on Amazon Streaming for a price as well).

HOLY HELL. A psychopath is let out of jail and immediately decides to kill a family. The cinematographer was an Oscar-winning Polish animator, and this is kinda like a slasher film in the same way American movie posters compare to Polish movie posters. Arty and bonkers. There's only one really gory kill, and it gets slightly tedious at times, but the film's style is so weird that it's worth checking out.

This Austrian film (although yes, the language spoken was German) is what I just finished watching. Yeah, it's not the easiest thing to view due to its incredibly bleak tone and how it was based on an actual serial killer and much of the narration was based on what other serial killers have said in the past. What you said was true and it was shot in a very interesting manner... mostly high-angle, which includes running scenes... I hear that was done via a complicated rope system. There is a creepy electronic score, as well. It was a message movie about how mental illness wasn't (and still isn't) treated right by the legal system, but as this was banned in many European countries... oh, and GASPAR NOE is a huge fan who saw it as a kid (!) and I am not sure if that says more about him or the movie.

I am glad I saw it, although it's not something I'd watch again due to its subject manner and how it can be compared with Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer. At least the dachshund dog did NOT die.

(03-09-2018, 03:30 AM)bradito Wrote: Gunnar Hansen has a weird cameo.

I can see then the film has been on the shelf for awhile, which more often than not is not a good sign for its quality.

My Letterboxd Page
Last night, I saw "Return to Return to Nuke Em High*," the sequel to "Return to Nuke 'Em High." I generally like Troma movies that are produced in-house, and this was no exception. The humor gets so meta, at one point we cut to Lloyd Kaufman in the editing room, arguing with his co-producer wife about a masturbation scene.

*Actual film title
Look, I'm not exactly blowing anyone's mind here by saying Demonic Toys 2: Personal Demons is bad.  It's really bad.  But, it has Leslie Jordan playing a cranky, old guy in an abandoned castle stealing shit.  And Baby Whoopsie is back to call people "shithead" and wonder where the blow is in the castle.

I don't know, maybe I just have shitty tastes in comedy.  I probably wouldn't have laughed as much without watching it with a friend, so make sure not to watch this one alone.

I've seen the first movie and that one with Corey Feldman where they meet up with the Puppet Master dolls, but that's it.  There's, at least, one more in the early 90s.
(03-11-2018, 06:06 AM)iron maiden Wrote: Look, I'm not exactly blowing anyone's mind here by saying Demonic Toys 2: Personal Demons is bad.  It's really bad.  But, it has Leslie Jordan playing a cranky, old guy in an abandoned castle stealing shit.  And Baby Whoopsie is back to call people "shithead" and wonder where the blow is in the castle.

I don't know, maybe I just have shitty tastes in comedy.  I probably wouldn't have laughed as much without watching it with a friend, so make sure not to watch this one alone.

I've seen the first movie and that one with Corey Feldman where they meet up with the Puppet Master dolls, but that's it.  There's, at least, one more in the early 90s.
Oh how I long for the days when the Demonic Toys took on Dollman and his Shrunken radio station girlfriend. Also not so fun fact but the one with Feldman wasn't actually done by Fullmoon which is why it wasn't even a tiny bit fun. Watching Feldman try and play an old man was pretty great though.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Thread:

[Spoiler Alert!]

https://twitter.com/PhilNobileJr/status/...7622881286

"It was neat to see THE RITUAL and ANNIHILATION in close approximation to one another. I liked both movies quite a bit, and both use a slasher/survival/AND THEN THERE WERE NONE model to tell their stories." "Both involve a trip into the unknown, motivated by guilt and mourning, a protagonist reconciling with their own moment of weakness. People die and the protag is left to confront both the external threat and their own internal conflict."

"But THE RITUAL's trip is only a wake - self-serving and morose, its hero so self-absorbed by his own emotional baggage that his destruction of something ancient is seen as heroic." "ANNIHILATION pits its hero against something unprecedented that's - despite the title - all about creating something new. And the hero's goal is, as opposed to destroying, literally going deeper, learning about and understanding the new thing. (Sorry, trying to avoid spoilers)"

"They're telling two different stories, and it's always unfair to pit movies against one another, but the similarities and differences between each throw the other's concerns into sharper relief."

"Anyway, interesting double feature, I'd think!"

As somebody said, I think FANGORIA is in good hands.

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

There’s a tiny little horror film newly on Netflix called Nails, and it’s pretty damn good. Not going to blow your mind or anything, but like The Ritual, several cuts above average for a straight to streaming horror flick.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(03-11-2018, 10:18 AM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote:
(03-11-2018, 06:06 AM)iron maiden Wrote: Look, I'm not exactly blowing anyone's mind here by saying Demonic Toys 2: Personal Demons is bad.  It's really bad.  But, it has Leslie Jordan playing a cranky, old guy in an abandoned castle stealing shit.  And Baby Whoopsie is back to call people "shithead" and wonder where the blow is in the castle.

Oh how I long for the days when the Demonic Toys took on Dollman and his Shrunken radio station girlfriend. Also not so fun fact but the one with Feldman wasn't actually done by Fullmoon which is why it wasn't even a tiny bit fun. Watching Feldman try and play an old man was pretty great though.

If I caught the Dollman movie or not, I can no longer remember. If I can find it, I might have to give it a whirl.
I watched the new Strangers movie. Ehh...
Yes, I also thought that was kind of shitty.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(03-12-2018, 12:22 AM)iron maiden Wrote:
(03-11-2018, 10:18 AM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote:

If I caught the Dollman movie or not, I can no longer remember. If I can find it, I might have to give it a whirl.

It really is a good time.
Watched Adam Green's Digging up the Marrow. This was great fun. For the longest time I though it was a documentary, would have got to it a lot sooner if I had known it was Found Footage. Too bad monster nut and FF skeptic Darkmite doesn't post here anymore, I feel like this one could have turned him into a believer.

Also decided to check out a thriller called Don't Blink, after Hulu suggested it for me. One of those recent low budget unknowns where I wasn't really sure at first, but ended up glad I took a chance on it (like Altitude). Apparently this was directed by a Winnie the Pooh voice actor. He's got skills! Starring Mena Suvari, Brian Austin Green from Beverly Hills 90210, and one of the bullies from A Christmas Story (who has exactly the same face but on an adult body). Nifty Ten Little Indians riff about a group of friends who decide to meet at a lodge in the mountains, only to find the place completely deserted... Then the disappearances start. Solid reco for a rainy day or a slow Sunday afternoon.
Bums me out about The Strangers sequel. From the way they were handling the marketing and the way the film looked in general, I was hoping for a sleeper hit. Might catch it at a matinee with a few beers next week anyway.
I saw it on a double bill with Hurricane Heist, so the evening wasn't a complete bust.
[Image: DYHPhVHWAAEonWl.jpg:large]

I'm geeking out at this announcement! A holy grail.

https://twitter.com/KLStudioClassic/stat...4094368769

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"