Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The All New Top 10 Favorite Films Ever Thread
Sometimes when I'm shooting my mouth off I mis-speak. I'm not saying we should feel bad or not watch these movies. Hell, I legitimately enjoy the Landis segment of TWILIGHT ZONE. But it's something that, I feel, we should at least keep in mind when thinking about them and discussing them. And for the record, in my humble, Miller is about as far from Landis as you can get. Big Grin And stuff like this does still happen, particularly on independents, particularly to below-the-line crew. I didn't know Sarah Jones, but I know people who did:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/m...man-685976

Anyway, sorry for the derail. RERAIL.
home taping is killing music
I forgive you...for now. Carry on. Wink
(03-15-2018, 04:46 PM)boone daniels Wrote: But it's something that, I feel, we should at least keep in mind when thinking about them and discussing them.

Fair point, and I agree.

And I definitely recall hearing about the Sarah Jones story, now that you mention it. Awful stuff.
I'll take a stab at this.  Here's what my Top 10 looks like today, in no real order...

I always feel like I'm committing a crime by leaving off LOTS of movies that I truly love, but if pressed, those 10 are pretty definitive for me.  Also, it's nice to see that I'm not the only one who appreciates THE THIRD MAN!
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
I generally don't care for lists as trying to condense my favorite films is very difficult, it constantly changes based on mood. I'll give it a shot, though.

1. Once Upon a Time in the West
2. Blues Brothers
3. Sex & Fury
4. Female Prisoner Scorpion: Jailhouse 41
5. Hero
6. Sparrow
7. Miller's Crossing
8. The Band Wagon
9. Hard Boiled
10. Conan the Barbarian
Nice! Last I checked, Female Prisoner Scorpion: Jailhouse 41 is on Amazon Prime.
Meiko Kaji is so iconic in that role, sort of odd that I should Sex & Fury over Lady Snowblood but Sex has that nude Swordfight scene so advantage Sex & Fury.
I'll dig up my old list in a bit. It probably hasn't changed much. My criteria are:

At least 20 years old, to minimize hype
Not appearing on most other lists
De-emphasizing genre and franchise picks, because internet
Would recommend to anyone

The Man Who Would Be King

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir

Love and Death

Day For Night

Joe Versus the Volcano

Local Hero

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

The Sea Hawk

Gold Diggers of 1933

Porco Rosso
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
Hell yeah to THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING and THE SEA HAWK.
Porco Rosso is a killer pick.
Nice call on Gold Diggers, too. I really enjoy those Warner Bros. musicals, and, when it comes to Golden Age stars, Joan Blondell rarely gets enough appreciation.
She's particularly great in Dames. But Gold Diggers of 1933 is the definitive Depression-era musical.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
I’ll bite, I’ve been meaning to do one for a while. Top 4 are pretty consistent

1. Ghostbusters
2. Raiders of the Lost Ark
3. Jurassic Park
4. Jaws
5. The Martian
6. Back to the Future
7. Avengers Assemble
8. Spider-Man Homecoming
9. Highlander
10. Commando
Nothing of interest to add here

Facebook: Ken Savage
(03-24-2018, 04:34 PM)hammerhead Wrote: She's particularly great in Dames. But Gold Diggers of 1933 is the definitive Depression-era musical.

Oh, absolutely. "Remember My Forgotten Man" is a hell of a closing number. I'm also fond of Footlight Parade. Blondell and Cagney made for a great pairing.
It's a shame that Convention City, supposedly her Pre-Code peak, is apparently a lost film.
(03-24-2018, 04:46 PM)ken savage Wrote: I’ll bite, I’ve been meaning to do one for a while. Top 4 are pretty consistent

1. Ghostbusters
2. Raiders of the Lost Ark
3. Jurassic Park
4. Jaws
5. The Martian
6. Back to the Future
7. Avengers Assemble
8. Spider-Man Homecoming
9. Highlander
10. Commando

don't have time to deal with transformers the movie eyyyy???

DEAD TO MEEEE!!!
In no particular order:

1. Mad Max: Fury Road
2. Prince of Darkness
3. Arrival
4. Conan the Barbarian
5. Drive
6. Charade
7. Cold in July
8. The Great Dictator
9. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
10. Starcrash
[Image: local-media712059160668172575.jpg]
Mangy Wrote:TCM 2 is like sentient cocaine.
For years (around adolescence), I would have told you The Empire Strikes Back. But it, and the Star Wars trilogy as a whole, as much as it held a special place in my heart growing up, went considerably down. 

It's hard to sum it up with one film, let alone ten. But any time I've thrown my $.02 on this list over the years, the same three films are always written down first, followed by everything else:

[Image: 220px-Dawn_of_the_dead.jpg] [Image: Excalibur_movie_poster.jpg]  [Image: 212px-WIZARD_OF_OZ_ORIGINAL_POSTER_1939.jpg]

The real ending to Big...
Can't argue with any of those three picks.
Looks like there's a tonne of cool stuff to read here, after I put down my picks.  These are, in no particular order, NOT the ten best movies, but the ten that most impacted me, at a particular point in time and the ten that I keep going back to over and over.

[Image: is?swgaAwWdhCxGetJ8zXo6OQIASUUYAEfzLt7dp...height=280]Zulu (1964) Cy Enfield

[Image: is?yPNzCxjKPSt6Ef_GpoRP9Kd-1gYTA3Qtdiz0E...height=224] Bullet in the Head (1990) John Woo

[Image: is?c0ZHM5JxxWt6hbIOkwTxIqJ0YtgeYCGb_roVc...height=313]  A Fist Full of Dynamite (1971) Sergio Leone

[Image: is?c08emBOoE0rWCOsntbj6T0qrXCTAWFZnqX4a-...height=341] Kagemusha (1980) Akira Kurosawa

[Image: is?2dxtEWaZoBgLg_dv2eUqt6GaEEdPNillr4dtw...height=341] A Bridge Too Far (1977) Richard Attenborough

[Image: is?L67idCnf8QM2-om3JzkmtaA36S1OeSRO_6g0s...height=213] Le Samourai (1967) Jean-Pierre Melville

[Image: is?lJ7h2wiM86EK-5LP0PtT44CJSqR8S1ERzjdaI...height=302] In the Mouth of Madness (1994) John Carpenter

[Image: is?jYThPJcw1K2YLKgdDcC1ASKhV857SCepj2Q7-...height=341]Monty Python's The Meaning of Life (1983) Terry Jones

[Image: is?ErXrpQzY6anIKlNEZV5upbS6-n5oCr54pJbde...height=258] Conan the Barbarian (1982) John Milius

[Image: is?eOKT8u9N0BFYMeoJpvPlKfdsiQOwZUYSITwaw...height=340] The Third Man (1949) Carol Reid
Some damned fine picks in there, Andronicus. Nice to see ZULU and LE SAMOURAI get some love.
A BRIDGE TOO FAR is criminally underrated, Andronicus!
I love Zulu because it's such a weird outlier for a 1960's British war film. The Zulu's are treated respectfully, not demonized, the movie (aside from a few really, really, weird choices) is amazingly historically accurate, and the photography i just so damn beautiful...the fact that it's a 'rousing adventure story' is just icing on the cake. Le Samouri is just stunning in it's aesthetic and Delon is just so damn cool in the flick, I'm kind of glad I saw it after The Killer, however, otherwise it would have killed my love of Chow-Yun Fat a little. A Bridge Too Far, to me, at least, really drives home what a genius screen-writer Goldman is. He managed to wring a coherent, interesting script out of a series battles that covered a large geographic area and lasted a couple of weeks without sacrificing historical accuracy or the compelling human stories it contained....and what a murders row of a cast!
(05-26-2018, 12:41 AM)andronicus Wrote: and what a murders row of a cast!

Absolutely. A BRIDGE TOO FAR just may be the greatest cast assembled in that era. It's certainly in the conversation, at least.
(03-15-2018, 12:57 PM)Judas Booth Wrote:
(03-15-2018, 12:47 PM)fuzzy dunlop Wrote: There's that incredible stunt in ROAD WARRIOR where the guy wrecks his bike and gets launched over the handlebars.  To this day, I'm shocked that the stuntman actually survived.

I seem to remember hearing that that guy broke his leg or something. 

Guy Norris did break his femur on that shot (he wasn't supposed to pinwheel like that) but continued to work with Miller. He only retired after driving the big truck flip at the end of Fury Road.

https://www.wired.com/2015/05/mad-max-st...ordinator/
Love me "A Bridge Too Far". It does suffer the same problem as "The Longest Day" in being so comprehensive, when I tend to prefer a more focused narrative in my war movies. But seeing as there's no "Saving Private Ryan" equivalent for  Operation Market-Garden (outside an episode of "Band of Brothers" I guess), it's as good as it gets. And, yes, what a goddamn cast.
Our sanitariums are full of men who think they're Napoleon... Or God.
After thinking about it for a few days, I've decided to add two more.  One is a grossly overlooked masterpiece and the other is more of a 'litmus test' movie for me.

[img]After thinking about it for a few days, I've decided to add two more. One is a grossly overlooked masterpiece and the other is more of a 'litmus test' movie for me.[/img]  The Duellists (1977) Ridley Scott

[Image: is?uFruUQRmw8iorMLTpsN4S3WET7sUvc1wpJBrj...height=341]  Hudson Hawk (1991) Michael Lehmann

The last one isn't  great movie but it is entertaining, in a goofy kinda way...I'll stand by it to my last day.
You have my sword on THE DUELLISTS. Great movie, and I think that Keith Carradine is very strong in it.

HUDSON HAWK? You're on your own there. sorry.
I have a lot of affection for HUDSON HAWK, but the days of it appearing on my personal top 10 are long gone.

I rewatched it a year or two ago, after having many years between viewings. I still liked it, but I was a lot more aware of the elements that don't work. I don't blame anyone who still holds it high. I just can't join you on it, beyond finding it mostly fun and batshit insane.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
1: Return of the Living Dead
2: Creepshow
3: Gremlins
4: Kung Fu Hustle
5: Terminator 2
6: A Nightmare on Elm Street
7: The Silence of the Lambs
8: Carnival of Souls
9: Blood Feast
10: Corpse Grinders
The Terminator
Ran
Halloween
Star Wars
Blade
Die Hard
First Blood
Jurassic Park
Death Rides a Horse
Iron Man
Almost Famous (Cameron Crowe, 2000)
Blow Out (Brian De Palma, 1981)
E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (Steven Spielberg, 1982)
JFK (Oliver Stone, 1991)
Kill Bill (Quentin Tarantino, 2004)
Léon: The Professional (Luc Besson, 1994)
Magnolia (Paul Thomas Anderson, 1999)
The Right Stuff (Philip Kaufman, 1983)
Something Wild (Jonathan Demme, 1986)
The Thing (John Carpenter, 1982)
Damn....The Thing.

See, that's what's fucked about Top 10 lists. Hell a top 100 list would probably leave some gems out. I buy the movies that I love and if I love, truly love, a movie, I'll rewatch it at some point. So....I guess that to know my favorites, I'd have to list every single film I own. From The Cabinet of Dr Caligari to Black Panther. Because if I own it...it sparked something in me in some way. I found something striking about it.

Barry has a far more eclectic and mature list than I would've guessed..
Are we doing this again?!

Jaws (1975)
The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)
Rocky (1976)
Star Wars (1977)
Halloween (1978)
Blade Runner (1982)
Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan (1982)
Aliens (1986)
Raising Arizona (1987)
Batman (1989)

The caveat here is when I say Star Wars, I really mean about half that series; when I saw Halloween, I really mean every Carpenter movie he made between Halloween and They Live; when I say Aliens I mean Alien-Alien 3; and when I say Batman I mean both Burton's movies.

Yes I have seen movies before 1975. I've also seen movies in the last 30 years! But I've accepted that these are my cream of the crop.
"I'd rather have hope...than nothing at all."
-Illyana Rasputin, X-Men: Omega #1

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."
-Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Twitter: @BartLBishop
Are these meant to be personal faves or what we would semi-objectively rank as the top ten best movies?
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear