Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
THE TERROR on AMC
There can't be any way they're planning for a second season. That would be preposterous.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
They are hoping to make it an anthology, based on an interview I heard with the writers. I have no idea what that means for the second season, but I could do with some more historical horror, I guess. It's an underserved niche.
Doing an anthology about unexplained/unsolved historical weirdness could be fertile ground if they can find another real event as mysterious and compelling as the Franklin Expedition.

Roanoke and the Dyatlov Pass Incident feel like they'd have potential, but they've also been well-covered by this point.
(04-06-2018, 10:57 AM)schwartz Wrote: They are hoping to make it an anthology, based on an interview I heard with the writers.  I have no idea what that means for the second season, but I could do with some more historical horror, I guess.  It's an underserved niche.

I'd be up for that. I really hope they're not intending to stretch the source material past one season.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
The writers were pretty clear that this season covers the entire book. But AMC wants their own American Horror Story, I guess. Though given the period production values and more esoteric focus of this series, I don't see how this could ever turn into that.
It's not going to be AHS (which is good, because that thing has been off the rails since the third season), but I do think THE TERROR could fill a certain - classier - genre niche.
Roanoke or the Mary Celeste could both make for a solid continuation. Especially since they're taking a more fantastical approach here. Not familiar with the source material, but seriously hoping for the "eskie" woman to be this show's Ripley.
(04-06-2018, 01:08 PM)scottieferguson Wrote: Mary Celeste

That would be a great choice. Close to the same time period, and another nautical mystery.
I had several people rave about this book to me. They couldn't recommend it higher. I don't think I made it much past the halfway point. Great atmosphere and concept, absolutely tedious plotting and exposition overload.

Since I didn't make it far enough to actually have the mystery revealed, I'm wondering if I should read a synopsis of the novel's ending or just dive into the show.
I don't usually recommend this, but I'd read a summary. The ending is really, really not what I expected and it might be better to be forewarned.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

Dan Simmons is nothing if not long winded. The Terror worked for me, it's probably my favorite of his books, but he's written a number of things that are simply overwritten to death. There's a novel he wrote called Drood, which has the tremendous conceit going for it (sort of an Amadeus story about Charles Dickens and Wilkie Collins, with a great undercurrent of Victorian mysticism, and a truly haunting and disturbing twist ending), and throttles it to death with 850 pages. It would be pushing it at half the length.

Guillermo del Toro wants to make a movie out of it, and that's a fantastic idea. It's one of the reasons I'm a little leery of a full season of The Terror, though. By making it a series, they'll also be adapting Simmons's worst tendencies too.

But the Winter Fair sequence is probably going to be awesome. Should be the midpoint?
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
There is no circumstance under which reading a summary of a story's ending before reading/watching it play out in its intended format is the optimal route.
(04-06-2018, 01:40 PM)Overlord Wrote: I had several people rave about this book to me. They couldn't recommend it higher. I don't think I made it much past the halfway point. Great atmosphere and concept, absolutely tedious plotting and exposition overload.

Since I didn't make it far enough to actually have the mystery revealed, I'm wondering if I should read a synopsis of the novel's ending or just dive into the show.

While I agree with MichaelM that some could be taken aback by the ending (in a not good way), I think you can just jump into the show. Three episodes in, it's moving at a decent pace and isn't as padded out as I was expecting it to be.
I also am not sure what part of the ending people found so jarring. It's been a decade since I read it, but I feel like the end felt fairly inevitable for at least the back half.
I didn't find it "jarring" so much as I was a bit deflated by it. It may have more impact on the screen than on the page, though.
The measured amount of enthusiasm I have is draining by the moment ...

And while I agree with Geordi that you're usually better off absorbing the ending in its original format, the book is such a fucking slog it's not going to happen for me.
What Belloq said.

(04-06-2018, 07:54 PM)Overlord Wrote: The measured amount of enthusiasm I have is draining by the moment ...

And while I agree with Geordi that you're usually better off absorbing the ending in its original format, the book is such a fucking slog it's not going to happen for me.

I didn't even mean the book. Just that if you're going to watch the show, watch the show.  And it's really good so far!
How did you get episode 5?! Episode 4 hasn't aired yet!
(04-07-2018, 11:14 AM)Belloq87 Wrote: How did you get episode 5?!  Episode 4 hasn't aired yet!

I was thinking the same thing.

Torrents are a hell of a thing....
-"You're not going insane - you're going sane in a crazy world!"
-The Tick
(04-07-2018, 01:43 PM)Anjin Wrote: Torrents are a hell of a thing....

They are but you actually don't have to use them in this case if you don't want to. AMC Premiere has the entire season up for like 2 weeks. That's where the torrents are being copied from.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Either way, I've only seen the first five episodes in the wild.

I'm really digging this show so far, but as a New Englander I can't help but look at these freezing men cursing the weather and think: "That doesn't look any worse than last Tuesday!"
-"You're not going insane - you're going sane in a crazy world!"
-The Tick
I'm not terribly concerned with how people are watching the show, but I would request we keep the discussion focused on the episodes as they are broadcast weekly on AMC.

That way we're all on the same page together for conversation purposes!
(04-08-2018, 01:21 AM)Belloq87 Wrote: I'm not terribly concerned with how people are watching the show, but I would request we keep the discussion focused on the episodes as they are broadcast weekly on AMC.

That way we're all on the same page together for conversation purposes!

Seconded.

Thirded.

"If I can shoot rabbits, then I can shoot fascists" -  The Manic Street Preachers

Steam ID: iammrsaxon / Blizzard ID: MrSaxon#2283 / Xbox ID: MR SAX0N
(04-03-2018, 01:15 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: I still think the "bear" is being portrayed as too much just a bear, but we'll see where they're taking it.

I haven't even read the book but this is my main concern because I want MONSTERS, damnit! The atmosphere is so Lovecraftian and also reminiscent of Alien, The Thing, etc. and I basically always want horror to go more in that direction so if it's just like an extra big slightly monsterized polar bear that'll be lame. And for that reason I was disappointed to hear that Neville Page designed it, cause I find his work too same-y and unimaginative. But I could still be pleasantly surprised, and from what you guys are saying it sounds like in the book it's NOT just an unusually large and vicious bear, so that gives me hope. I guess we'll see...
(04-08-2018, 03:51 PM)dan benenson Wrote: I haven't even read the book but this is my main concern because I want MONSTERS, damnit! The atmosphere is so Lovecraftian and also reminiscent of Alien, The Thing, etc. and I basically always want horror to go more in that direction so if it's just like an extra big slightly monsterized polar bear that'll be lame. And for that reason I was disappointed to hear that Neville Page designed it, cause I find his work too same-y and unimaginative. But I could still be pleasantly surprised, and from what you guys are saying it sounds like in the book it's NOT just an unusually large and vicious bear, so that gives me hope. I guess we'll see...

I would say be patient.  I have to think they'll eventually get into what makes the beast so unusual and interesting in the book.
Oh I’m definitely sticking with it, everything else about the show has been fantastic so far
Just finished the third episode. It's been terrific so far, and the mounting tension and sense of doom could become nearly - ahem - unbearable before the season ends.

They've done a fantastic job of merging practical sets with digital environments and vistas. The show looks great, and every penny appears to be onscreen.

My only complaint is that the otherwise excellent Jared Harris is too old for Crozier, but I'll admit that's based on knowing the source material and how that plays out.

(04-08-2018, 06:48 PM)MichaelM Wrote: My only complaint is that the otherwise excellent Jared Harris is too old for Crozier, but I'll admit that's based on knowing the source material and how that plays out.

Crozier as a character definitely reads somewhat more youthful in the book, so in that sense I'm with you about Harris. However, the real-life guy was actually in his early 50s during the expedition, and that's totally in an appropriate range for Harris to play.

In any case, I think Harris is doing some very fine work.
Yeah, they actually cast actors pretty close to the historical figures' ages at the time of the events.

Harris is doing great work, no argument.

Super atmospheric episode tonight, but also one where it feels like some padding is starting to appear. Still, it really hammered home what a frozen hellscape the ships are trapped in, even without a monster stalking them.

They’re ramping up the tensions and conflict among the crew in a pretty effective way, too. The punishment that was handed down towards the end was impressively brutal, even for somebody who has seen many such scenes before.
Goddamn, boys get shit punishment. That was tough to watch.

I can't think of a single bad thing to say about this hypnotizing and relentless and horrifying show. It's just so damn engrossing to watch and filled with oodles of dread. Oodles I say!

Was definitely not expecting Sir John to leave so early and FUCK that was equally tough to watch. He was kind of a well-meaning fuck up but shit he did NOT deserve to die that...badly.

I'm really curious what exactly the connection is between the beast and Lady Silence. She definitely doesn't seem to actually be controlling the thing but it seems affectionate of her. Is it like, the spirit of her grandfather or something? People who've read the book feel free to not connect me.
"I mean don't get me wrong fucking the wolf man is impressive but ugh." - Waaaaaaaalt
Did Sir John deserve to die like that? I won't go that far but we'd basically just witnessed his pride overriding the welfare of the crew of two ships. His complete refusal to admit they were fucked and subsequent Victorian verbal thrashing of Crozier revealed him to be a dick of some magnitude.

I haven't watched last night's ep yet (DVR!) but I'm looking forward to it.