Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR - Post-Release Thread
(04-30-2018, 10:42 PM)Nooj Wrote: and whoa whoa whoa now.... marvel movies have brought (and can't help but bring) real world(ish) politics to this stuff on their own!

Just to clarify, by "this stuff," I meant the discussion here.  And I meant that I don't like to wade into it, which is why I said I should have probably just moved along.

ANYWAY!

Good movie!
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
ohhh hohoh no no no noooo

YOU STAY

YOU STAY RIGHT HERE

WE FINISH THIS

THE BILL

COMES

DUE

ALWAYS!!!
There's a lot of talk (and rightfully so) about the pairing of Tony and Strange... but I also really enjoyed Tony and Quill sniping at each other verbally. I'd kind of like to see them pair up some more. I'm guessing Tony bites it in Avengers 4... but if RDJ can be coaxed to stay a while I'd really love to see him join the Guardians for a movie or two. If not as part of the crew, part of the story.
-"You're not going insane - you're going sane in a crazy world!"
-The Tick
Caught this tonight. I'll post more after I have a chance to read the thread.

Vision`s final words to Wanda wrecked me.
Regarding "Why doesn't Thanos do this or that with the power of the stones," I like to think that it's just because he lacks imagination.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
(04-30-2018, 08:30 PM)nickp Wrote:
(04-30-2018, 08:21 PM)simbob Wrote:
(04-30-2018, 08:17 PM)nickp Wrote: People suggesting a giant mech suit.  Did you watch the movie?

What does that even mean?

Just that your ideas are the worst. 

THE WORST

I'm not Kieron Gillen. Anyways, I didn't say they should give him a giant robot. I said Iron Man went off to find a anti-celestial armor at one point in the comics, said armor is big in the comic; they could make it SMALL if they wanted to in the movie is also something I said.
(04-30-2018, 11:25 PM)Anjin Wrote: There's a lot of talk (and rightfully so) about the pairing of Tony and Strange... but I also really enjoyed Tony and Quill sniping at each other verbally.  I'd kind of like to see them pair up some more.  I'm guessing Tony bites it in Avengers 4... but if RDJ can be coaxed to stay a while I'd really love to see him join the Guardians for a movie or two.  If not as part of the crew, part of the story.

Either Tony or Thor would be great paired with the Guardians. Everything with Thor on the Milano after his rescue was pure gold.
According to Gunn the Guardians' ship in this is 'The Benatar.'
(04-30-2018, 11:32 PM)hammerhead Wrote: Regarding "Why doesn't Thanos do this or that with the power of the stones," I like to think that it's just because he lacks imagination.

I'd like it if at some point during the epic big fight scene between Thanos and just about everyone else (do you think he'll also get new lackeys or the old ones will be resurrected or a combination of both?), he does something along the lines of using the Reality Stone to show them all what the Earth will eventually look like if they try to reverse what he did.

It's why The Winter Soldier is my favourite MCU film and the scene with Steve, Natasha, and Arnim Zola is my favourite scene in that film. It's because the takeover was more insidious, more silent, and more complex than just having a villain to hit and Hydra won by coming in under the radar.

By the same token, showing that reversing what Thanos did and even vanquishing him would only at best be a defeat deferred or even snatching defeat from the jaws of victory (victory in the sense that Thanos's way was the only realistic way to save the planet in the long run lest they end up Titan one day) could pose quite the dilemma to our heroes when they're confronted with no easy or quick answers.
(05-01-2018, 12:58 AM)Fafhrd Wrote: According to Gunn the Guardians' ship in this is 'The Benatar.'

And so it fucking should be.  "Heartbreaker", bitch!
Not a hard man to track. Leaves dead men wherever he goes.
(05-01-2018, 01:50 AM)shan Wrote: By the same token, showing that reversing what Thanos did and even vanquishing him would only at best be a defeat deferred or even snatching defeat from the jaws of victory (victory in the sense that Thanos's way was the only realistic way to save the planet in the long run lest they end up Titan one day) could pose quite the dilemma to our heroes when they're confronted with no easy or quick answers.

I think the less time spent spelling out the logic of Thanos's plan, the better.  When you realize that half the Earth's population only puts us roughly at what we had circa 1970, and that there's less global poverty now than there was back then, turning half of everyone to ash doesn't make any sense.  In the short term you get planetary chaos as everyone cleans up ash and the wreckages of thousands of simultaneous plane crashes, and in the longer term you would just see the population rebound right back to where it was within a generation or two.

Thanos surely knows this, so perhaps his true agenda is not that he's offering a one-time fix free of charge as he claims, but he's hoping to turn this into a long-term service contract that requires him making repeat visits.
Mean Tweets

Thor sad? THOR SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!
Git' in under mah belly!
(04-30-2018, 01:23 PM)hammerhead Wrote:
(04-30-2018, 11:12 AM)shaunh Wrote: I loved when Thanos was ultra-combo'ing him and whipped a knee into his dome.

Makes me wonder if they're going to do a thing where Bruce learns to box, exponentially powering up Hulk.

OH SHIT, give me a montage of Banner being trained by Thor scored by Vince DiCola!!! DO IT, FUCKING DO IT!!!

I'd mark out if we got to see Hulk applying an armbar or a rear naked choke!
-"You're not going insane - you're going sane in a crazy world!"
-The Tick
(05-01-2018, 02:59 AM)hughj Wrote: Thanos surely knows this, so perhaps his true agenda is not that he's offering a one-time fix free of charge as he claims, but he's hoping to turn this into a long-term service contract that requires him making repeat visits.

Extended service warranties are such a fucking scam. THANOS IS A TRUE MONSTER!
I can't stand to see myself go through the motions, that bring me back into these same old sad emotions.
(05-01-2018, 08:37 AM)bartleby_scriven Wrote: The one thing that bothered me about the movie (besides Dinklage's iffy but fine performance and the fact that Cap just doesn't have much to do) is the tendency the Russos have had since Civil War to set all of the action in isolated places.

Before superhero movies got destruction crazy and climaxed with Man of Steel, part of the fun of a big fight was the heroes catching civilians and leading them to safety while juggling fisticuffs.

But here, although it's certainly internally justified why Knowhere and Titan aren't inhabited, why not a few passers-by in Edinburgh? A lady with a baby hiding behind a bench in Central Park that Spidey has to swing to safety?

So much fear of collateral damage, they don't even engage with it anymore.

I remember Tony being focused on helping people when the attack in NYC first happened. I think that was how they paid lip service to it.
(05-01-2018, 07:33 AM)Anjin Wrote: I'd mark out if we got to see Hulk applying an armbar or a rear naked choke!

Flying triangle submission FTW.
One thing I disliked about the movie - It's got my little nephew thinking it's pretty cool to go around calling everyone "Sweet Rabbit". He told the waiter, "Thank you, my sweet rabbit." when he got his order.

He liked Rocket before but he absolutely loves him now because of Thor.
Sunset with a long nose.....
that's ADORABLE
(05-01-2018, 02:22 PM)Nooj Wrote: that's ATHORABLE
(05-01-2018, 12:53 PM)Overlord Wrote:
(05-01-2018, 07:33 AM)Anjin Wrote: I'd mark out if we got to see Hulk applying an armbar or a rear naked choke!

Flying triangle submission FTW.

The universe is saved by Bruce Banner's mastery of the Moss Covered Three Handled Family Credenza.
[Image: Xw0myqBzMnaOATlThl7p3lO8hbENF-ihrURalPLi...c480c9d198]
"I mean don't get me wrong fucking the wolf man is impressive but ugh." - Waaaaaaaalt
(05-01-2018, 03:04 PM)bartleby_scriven Wrote: Film Crit Hulk’s take: http://observer.com/2018/04/avengers-inf...s-endgame/

Disagree with most of his major opinions and find him inconsistent in the reasons why he likes some MCU movies and dislikes others (particularly his discussion of villain motivation). I think the biggest failing of his entire "take" is his repeated (and, frankly, odd) refusal to to evaluate Infinity War not as a self-contained narrative but rather as a summation or weaving of existing multi-film arcs. Looking at Infinity War in this reductive manner might lead to many of his conclusions, but it's a misleading way to approach the narrative, IMHO.

Also, when an author asks something like "why does X parent love Y child?" and intimates that they need more information to find that dynamic believable I can only immediately conclude that the author doesn't have children ... and for some reason needs to have this very basic emotional connection explained to them. Parents love their children. Adopted or otherwise. The most evil, murderous sons of bitches on earth usually still love their little girls. I looked up film crit hulk (Mike Symonds) and don't see any info as to whether or not he has kids, but I'd wager I'm right.
"these are definitely not movies."

Mmm. Yes. Quite.
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.
(05-01-2018, 03:29 PM)zhukov Wrote: "these are definitely not movies."

Mmm. Yes. Quite.

This guy teaches film criticism, apparently.

The article is another solid reminder of why I normally avoid professional film reviewers.  Head-up-own-ass syndrome is all too common in the profession.
The main problem with the 'real movie' argument he's making is that the abstracted checklist he is presenting - characters learn and grow, stakes are established and resolved, etc. - is ignorant of cinematic history.

Because you would have to contort this argument to unsustainable ends to say Buster Keaton's filmography qualifies as 'real movies'. Nobody learns shit, stakes are arbitrary, its just zany plots happening that hopefully people enjoy.
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.
I thought it was a well-articulated (and over-articulated, as usual) piece... knowing the views the guy tends to come from.

Doesn't prevent me from enjoying the movie a bunch as I do, but I see what he's saying.

I thought Symonds taught (or used to teach) screenwriting at RocketJump Film School. I don't think they teach criticism necessarily. I think they focus on the filmmaking.
(05-01-2018, 03:33 PM)Overlord Wrote:
(05-01-2018, 03:29 PM)zhukov Wrote: "these are definitely not movies."

Mmm. Yes. Quite.

This guy teaches film criticism, apparently.

The article is another solid reminder of why I normally avoid professional film reviewers.  Head-up-own-ass syndrome is all too common in the profession.

I’m pretty sure he runs some kind of tiny scam film school in L.A.
(05-01-2018, 03:38 PM)zhukov Wrote: This guy teaches film criticism, apparently.

Quote:I’m pretty sure he runs some kind of tiny scam film school in L.A.

Any for-profit school, particularly one that is arts-centric rather than STEM/technical in orientation, I generally assume to be a scam.

Quote:
(05-01-2018, 03:42 PM)Nooj Wrote: I thought it was a well-articulated (and over-articulated, as usual) piece... knowing the views the guy tends to come from [ED. What?]

Well-articulated ... do you agree with it, or not?  Anything can be "well-articulated."
I agree with some things. Not others.

From reading his pieces over the years, I know how he tends to approach what a movie is or should be (which tends to be for movies to be singular experiences that can stand on their own with their own ethos).

Based on that, I get why he feels a certain way without needing to agree with him. I think he articulates his points pretty well about it even though I may not feel the same way. I agreed with him about Civil War back when he wrote about that (even though I enjoyed the movie a bunch), but I don't necessarily agree with everything he said about Infinity War. But I get his frustrations about the wheel-spinning.

That's why I usually read these things AFTER seeing the movie to begin with. I wanna know the hows and whys of why someone responded the way they did towards a story/movie/show/etc.
(05-01-2018, 04:05 PM)Nooj Wrote: I agree with some things.  Not others.

From reading his pieces over the years, I know how he tends to approach what a movie is or should be (which tends to be for movies to be singular experiences that can stand on their own with their own ethos).  

Based on that, I get why he feels a certain way without needing to agree with him.  I think he articulates his points pretty well about it even though I may not feel the same way.  I agreed with him about Civil War back when he wrote about that (even though I enjoyed the movie a bunch), but I don't necessarily agree with everything he said about Infinity War.  But I get his frustrations about the wheel-spinning.

That's why I usually read these things AFTER seeing the movie to begin with.  I wanna know the hows and whys of why someone responded the way they did towards a story/movie/show/etc.

I dislike your measured response to his article and attempt to orient yourself towards his viewpoint in order to better understand where he's coming from.  

Please insert more sturm und drung.
TOO BAD FOR YOU!!!

I'm curious as to why he asks why HULK refuses to come out. It was pretty obvious he was scared after his one appearance of being pummeled by Thanos, right?
(05-01-2018, 04:10 PM)Nooj Wrote: TOO BAD FOR YOU!!!

I'm curious as to why he asks why HULK refuses to come out.  It was pretty obvious he was scared after his one appearance of being pummeled by Thanos, right?

Were you more baffled by his confusion over that point, or that he felt he needed more information in order to credibly buy that Thanos (villain that he is) loves his adopted daughter?  

**yes, that was my immediate read, and it seems like the very obvious one.
Despite all the doom and gloom...

This movie introduced 'Hulk-a Hulk-a Burning Fudge' as an ice cream flavour and that makes me happy.
"I mean don't get me wrong fucking the wolf man is impressive but ugh." - Waaaaaaaalt