Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.19 Average
Trumpocalypse Now
The faux debate about civility reveals that it is a lost cause. Now is the time to fight back with all we have.

Furthermore, the media wants to play up the distractions, like Melania's coat or Fuckabee's latest hurt fee-fees.

Fuck that. We have to stop them from bullshitting the narrative.
The media being more about entertaining the public than informing it also played a big role into getting us into this mess.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.
(06-27-2018, 01:41 AM)history buff Wrote: Hilary calling them deplorables should have been just the beginning.
I mean, by all means debate what if anything is the appropriate course now - but this? Good fucking gracious no. I don't care how salty anyone still is over the outcome of the 2016 election, the fact is that Clinton saw the fringe right digging her grave and decided to hand them all as many shovels as they could possibly have asked for. The "deplorables" business, promising to put coal miners out of work...the list of boneheaded gaffes that played perfectly into her opponents' narrative is so mind-boggling it makes Mondale's promise to raise taxes look like the apex of political savvy.
(06-27-2018, 01:41 AM)history buff Wrote: Taking the high road is what has put us in this situation. So obviously that hasn't worked. Though I don't always agree with Bill Maher he always makes the point that Democrats don't stand by what they say and believe. Hilary calling them deplorables should have been just the beginning. She should have stood by her comment and double downed, stand by what you say. At least you go down swinging.

Yeah, I said that at the time. What she said wasn't an insult; it was the truth. By apologizing, she didn't gain anything from the people who would never vote for her anyway, and looked weak to everyone else.

That's the lesson for today... When an asshole sheds crocodile tears for being called an asshole... call them a crybaby asshole.

Or in Huckabee's case, respond to her missing a meal by... using all your strength to avoid the obvious joke, and say, "Maybe if she stopped being an active participant in destroying innocent lives and the country itself, people would want to have her in their restaurants? Until then, I hear they still sell TV dinners."

We all need to stop acting like the abused spouse making excuses for their abuser. People don't support evil because we didn't pay enough attention to their feelings. They support evil because they want to. They're not going to stop supporting evil if we're extra-super-nice to them, but they might if their beliefs and actions have real and repeated consequences.

Being shunned and openly despised by 60% of the country may not bother Drumpf, but I bet it would bother some of his underlings and followers.

Two other bits I just saw:

Ryan is demanding that Waters apologize for suggesting people tell Team Trump what they think of them, loudly. I hope she instead finds a nice way to tell him to go fuck himself.

And after some big progressive primary wins, I saw some questions about whether a Democratic Tea Party was forming... Which has to be the stupidest comparison I've seen a non-Republican make in a long time. Progressive Democrat candidates are generally not the stupidest, most hateful members of the party. Progressives have some very promising ideas, while the Tea Party is still working on their first.
Gamertag: Tweakee
Wasn’t the Tea Party’s big issue that out of control budget? Stupid fucking racists.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(06-26-2018, 08:04 PM)michael shaver Wrote: Sanders gets her own temporary Secret Service detail:

http://thehill.com/homenews/administrati...ome-report

Is the Secret Service going to force people to serve her?

A Hawaiian shirt is like a cash gift - always appropriate
Unsurprising considering the tax cuts, but the deficit is ballooning under GOP rule:

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/06/2...rds-651929

Quote:The nation’s fiscal outlook looks ever bleaker, thanks in part to deficit spending during President Donald Trump’s first term, Congress’ nonpartisan budget scorekeeper projected Tuesday. 

Within 16 years, the federal deficit is expected to be the largest in history, outpacing even the fiscal shortfalls that followed World War II, according to Congressional Budget Office estimates. 

Congress’ recent tax and spending laws — along with ballooning costs of programs like Social Security and Medicare — also are driving up the amount the government pays in interest on money borrowed to make up for the gap in cash coming in and going out. 

Indeed, those interest payments will exceed the cost of all Social Security spending within decades, CBO predicts. Interest costs also will be higher than discretionary spending, which amounts to all federal dollars Congress controls. 

Debt is projected to reach 78 percent of gross domestic product by the end of this year — the highest level since about 1950. 

At this rate, that debt would actually exceed the size of the economy within a decade, breaking the historic record of 106 percent by 2034. 

Get ready for Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid to take the full front of the blame.
EDIT: Edited my edit due to MichaelM's edit.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
Yeah, I've deleted the post because we don't have credible sourcing for the quote.

Looks like the H-D operations move is not as simple as being presented:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/26/trump-sa...xcuse.html

The company announced last year that it would be moving production to Thailand. No operations are being moved to Europe.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
This was posted on another forum I frequent. It is where we are...

Quote:Fintan O’Toole: Trial runs for fascism are in full flow
Babies in cages were no ‘mistake’ by Trump but test-marketing for barbarism

To grasp what is going on in the world right now, we need to reflect on two things. One is that we are in a phase of trial runs. The other is that what is being trialled is fascism – a word that should be used carefully but not shirked when it is so clearly on the horizon. Forget “post-fascist” – what we are living with is pre-fascism.

It is easy to dismiss Donald Trump as an ignoramus, not least because he is. But he has an acute understanding of one thing: test marketing. He created himself in the gossip pages of the New York tabloids, where celebrity is manufactured by planting outrageous stories that you can later confirm or deny depending on how they go down. And he recreated himself in reality TV where the storylines can be adjusted according to the ratings. Put something out there, pull it back, adjust, go again.

Fascism doesn’t arise suddenly in an existing democracy. It is not easy to get people to give up their ideas of freedom and civility. You have to do trial runs that, if they are done well, serve two purposes. They get people used to something they may initially recoil from; and they allow you to refine and calibrate. This is what is happening now and we would be fools not to see it.

One of the basic tools of fascism is the rigging of elections – we’ve seen that trialled in the election of Trump, in the Brexit referendum and (less successfully) in the French presidential elections. Another is the generation of tribal identities, the division of society into mutually exclusive polarities. Fascism does not need a majority – it typically comes to power with about 40 per cent support and then uses control and intimidation to consolidate that power. So it doesn’t matter if most people hate you, as long as your 40 per cent is fanatically committed. That’s been tested out too. And fascism of course needs a propaganda machine so effective that it creates for its followers a universe of “alternative facts” impervious to unwanted realities. Again, the testing for this is very far advanced.
[cont]
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
Steve Schmidt covered a lot of the same ground on Chris Hayes last night:

It looks like Trump got played.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/sate...id=UE07DHP

Back to an earlier post of mine. I do believe that Trump and his supporters should be comforted with facts and called out on their lies as much as possible. I do think that can be done without sinking to their level. Their level being nothing to offer other than insults and conspiracy theories.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.
Sad but true:

https://mobile.twitter.com/daveweigel/st...7120286721

(06-27-2018, 11:02 AM)chaz Wrote: It looks like Trump got played.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/sate...id=UE07DHP

Back to an earlier post of mine. I do believe that Trump and his supporters should be comforted with facts and called out on their lies as much as possible. I do think that can be done without sinking to their level. Their level being nothing to offer other than insults and conspiracy theories.

1. Is anyone actually surprised by NoKo's actions?

2. Cheeto supporters don't give a shit about facts. Or truth. Or actually loving the disenfranchised, despite their Lord and Savior explicitly telling them that doing so was in effect loving Him. Confronting them with facts only makes them dig in deeper and they'll just shout "Fake news" the entire time.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

See, that's what floors me on the whole evangelical support for the GOP right now. What Trumpism espouses is so incredibly against the teachings of Jesus that it's scary. If Jesus were to return right now, he'd walk into the white house and turn over every table that he could find.
Not American Jesus! American Jesus loves his guns and his followers individual rights!

And while it sort of floors me, too, it shouldn't. Evangelicals have been wholly willing participants in the manipulation game for decades now, reaching back to the early part of the 20th Century. Falwell Sr forming the Moral Majority was directly complicit in powermongering with Republican strategists.

And while I still hold some core Christian ideals sacred, when you tell your people to be sheep, no one should be surprised when it's revealed they suck at thinking for themselves.

I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
Religious hype has nothing to do with policy preference. Evangelicalism is a political stance, it should only ever be treated as such.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but the SCOTUS decision would seem to legitimize class-based discrimination so long as there is a 'plausible justification'.

As always, the Roberts court is victim of unbelievable short-sightedness. Charitably speaking.
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.
(06-27-2018, 12:45 PM)zhukov Wrote: Religious hype has nothing to do with policy preference. Evangelicalism is a political stance, it should only ever be treated as such.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but  the SCOTUS decision would seem to legitimize class-based discrimination so long as there is a 'plausible justification'.

As always, the Roberts court is victim of unbelievable short-sightedness. Charitably speaking.

While the decision/idea could be considered short-sighted, it most assuredly has been based on long term planning by conservative/libertarian assholes who worship at the alter of Ayn Rand-ian greed of which there is a huge overlap with the evangelical movement.

Behind a Key Anti-Labor Case, a Web of Conservative Donors
(06-27-2018, 09:40 AM)MichaelM Wrote: Yeah, I've deleted the post because we don't have credible sourcing for the quote.

Looks like the H-D operations move is not as simple as being presented:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/26/trump-sa...xcuse.html

The company announced last year that it would be moving production to Thailand. No operations are being moved to Europe.

I suspect it is both things. According to that article, the earlier plan was to serve Asian markets. It makes sense to further rebalance if you want to avoid the tariffs too. Given its plans to move to Thailand were already public, it would odd and counter-productive to restate them with a different excuse.
The tariffs only apply to bikes built in the US, so HD can move production to facilities anywhere else and avoid losing 25% of every sale. The only loser is... the American worker.

Winning!
Kennedy's retiring.

https://twitter.com/KimberlyRobinsn/stat...2143431683

Fuck.
Perfection...

Attached Files Image(s)

we're so fucked
home taping is killing music
Just want to give a shout out to all of those liberal assholes that sat out the 2016 election or voted for Trump. Hope you ESPECIALLY enjoyed these last few weeks. Today is truly the cherry on top.
I think these screen captures and giant (Dildi? Is there a plural?) are just the next step in the JJ Abrams online adventure series. Very slyly played, Bitches Leave.-Tom Fuchs
He couldn't have fucking waited until the end of the year. God Dammit.
(06-27-2018, 02:04 PM)Dent6084 Wrote: Kennedy's retiring.

https://twitter.com/KimberlyRobinsn/stat...2143431683

Fuck.

Kennedy's a Reagan appointee, and while his replacement is likely to be further right, we're hardly losing an ally. He's probably retiring now to try to ensure that the Right has enough votes to push through his replacement.

Democrat politicians get one more chance to find their balls (and lady-balls) and block the vote. Or they can be "civil" and lose a seat on the Court for 40 years.
Yeah, this is the fight now, guys. We have to walk and chew gum, obviously, but goal one is block that fucking seat until November.
Well, I think we can count on the Democrats to fold like a card table then tweet about how they're going to "keep fighting."
Uhhh, unless I missed something, Republicans have control of the Senate and have nuked the Judicial Filibuster for all appointees. Unless Trump nominates someone so unqualified for the job that even Republicans can’t vote for him or her - not an impossible scenario with Trump - Trump’s nominee will be confirmed.

I guess maybe you could persuade Collins/Murkowski to vote against someone who super vocally anti-abortion. But as long as they get someone who waits to state his or her desire to gut Roe until he or she is on the bench, I don’t think that is likely.
(06-27-2018, 02:15 PM)boristhecheese Wrote: Just want to give a shout out to all of those liberal assholes that sat out the 2016 election or voted for Trump.  Hope you ESPECIALLY enjoyed these last few weeks.  Today is truly the cherry on top.

Thanks, Jill Stein/Gary Johnson voters! Thanks, Bernie Bros!

Here's the question, though: how exactly do they block the vote? The Senate is 50-49, and McConnell has already killed the judicial filibuster. There are probably ways, but nothing coming to mind at the moment.

And yeah, they'll nominate someone who will make moderate noises about Roe to "pacify" Collins/Murkowski and then gut it next term. Gay marriage is probably getting murdered too.
I feel like the only way to block it is some sort of Occupy action that prevents the Senate from even being able to convene.
Roe v. Wade will be overturned in . . . Let's go with two years.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
If I had a shred of hope left, I'd say that we all need to do everything to block a vote from even coming to the floor. Including occupying the Senate.

Whatever it takes. I don't give a shit.

(06-27-2018, 02:33 PM)Mangy Wrote: Roe v. Wade will be overturned in . . . Let's go with two years.

Which means, thanks to trigger laws, abortion could be illegal throughout large portions of the U.S. overnight.

This is the nightmare scenario.

Abolish the GOP.