Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Trump Era Defining Films (So Far)
My vote is for LOWLIFE.  It's MACHETE by way of PULP FICTION + WAY OF THE GUN. It's an amazing fuck you to ICE and the garbage who exploit Latinos trying to make it to the promised land/believing the American Dream.

"Lord help me Jesus, I've wasted it so"

"Bitchin'! Is this in 3-D?"

"No, but your face is."

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

I disagree with the premise of the thread topic.

That said, the correct answer is GET OUT.
home taping is killing music
Said it before, but the third season of Fargo is my pick for definitive post-Trump take.
THE WOLF OF WALL STREET and HATEFUL EIGHT are the definitive Trump films, made Pre-Trump, of course.
Avengers: Infinity War

....cause this DJT shit seems to have been going on forever.
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me. -Grandpa Simpson
(08-19-2018, 12:10 PM)schwartz Wrote: Said it before, but the third season of Fargo is my pick for definitive post-Trump take.

Ding ding ding.

If anything, GET OUT feels more definitive of the Obama era.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
2 Girls, 1 Cup
Please let the pee tape be labeled "Two Girls, One Trump.."
It might be due partially to timing, but 'Logan' felt very Trump-era with it's futuristic/present day setting of "Fine if you're a wealthy white individual. Sucks if you're not."
Though I haven't seen it yet, BEATRIZ AT DINNER looks like it fits the bill.

Also, I found this on indiewire...

“The Boss Baby” is a crude, unfunny movie about a megalomaniacal toddler in an oversized suit who cries his head off when he doesn’t get what he wants. Other babies understand him, but rational adults cannot. He’s played by Alec Baldwin. At the end, the Boss Baby almost gets innocent people killed in a rocket attack because nobody gave him the love and attention he needed as a child (or, um, as an even younger baby). This terrible movie got an A+ CinemaScore and made more than half a billion dollars. A sequel is being threatened for early 2021. We are doomed.
my pick would be THE DEAD ZONE.
If we’re talking Fargo, then the second season of Legion absolutely fits the bill here.

“I’m a good person. I deserve to be loved.0
"Why did she do it?"
"Why are you the fucking Police?"

(08-19-2018, 12:10 PM)schwartz Wrote: Said it before, but the third season of Fargo is my pick for definitive post-Trump take.

How so? (I don't mean that challengingly. I mean that genuinely. S3 of Fargo is the one that felt the most abstracted and elusive to me.)
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Sicario 2 kind of came and went, but it definitely seems to either be an indictment of our gruesome immigration policies or a love letter to them.
(08-19-2018, 05:34 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: my pick would be THE DEAD ZONE.

It wouldn't be too surprising to see him pull the "baby as shield" move.

If we're including movies that predate Trump's political career, A Face in the Crowd feels like a candidate.
(08-19-2018, 06:24 PM)MichaelM Wrote:

How so? (I don't mean that challengingly. I mean that genuinely. S3 of Fargo is the one that felt the most abstracted and elusive to me.)

I've talked about it at length in the Fargo threads and Schwartzblog.  A pertinent excerpt:

Quote:Or maybe I’m way off base.  Maybe too much cable news has me reading current events in what is just a straightforward story about a powerful international criminal with Russian ties propping up a dim-witted “billionaire on paper” for his own ends, while said billionaire is flummoxed by a phony sex tape and demands to release his tax information, as the investigation into their connection is stymied because those in charge of it would much rather end it quickly and quietly than catch the actual culprits. 
Ah, that's right. Thanks.

(Reminder again: I am terrible at the kind of readings you and Bart seem to do effortlessly.)
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Let's not forget the ones from before he was President...

BACK TO THE FUTURE PART II (1989): Alternate reality Biff Tannen, anyone?
THE SUPER (1991): A New York slumlord with a wealthy father forecloses on the poor; Joe Pesci even sports a similar haircut.
IDIOCRACY (2006): A nation of dummies elect a pseudo-charismatic celebrity to the White House.
THE INTRUDER (1962)

Probably the scariest monster movie Roger Corman ever directed. Shatner is very Trump-like in it.
"He's like if a puka shell necklace was a person."
Maybe not quite in the spirit of the thread, but I submit Mad Max: Fury Road for consideration.  On a purely (mostly) allegorical level.  Again, slightly pre-dates the actual Trump era, but captures many of its themes with disturbing prescience.
BAD BATCH is another dystopian film capturing the mood of the times.

"Lord help me Jesus, I've wasted it so"

"Bitchin'! Is this in 3-D?"

"No, but your face is."

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

Green Room.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
It.

Sewer-dwelling clown feeds on fear, is defeated by young people.
Boss Baby
Schwartz is right about FARGO season three.

Although if we're talking TV, we gotta talk HANDMAID'S.

One of the interesting things to think about is how we're just now coming into that period where films are being made in direct response to the past few years. So much of what we think of as Trump-defining films were greenlit before he was elected/made during the 2016 election. Something like THE POST was probably the first major film made in direct response to him. So the films have finally caught up to the times.

BEATRIZ AT DINNER (also shot during and before the election) is a great example because I think points the way towards how a lot of films are going to respond to the Trump era. Trump is one of those singular figures - like, say, Elvis or Bob Dylan - that making him into a character in a drama played by an actor is a tremendous, almost impossible challenge. So I think you're going to see a lot of movies made where he's a figure on the television, or he's referred to obliquely, or there's a character who is an obvious stand-in for him (as in the case of Beatriz).
PUPPET MASTER: THE LITTLEST REICH (2018)

"Lots of terrible shit happens to people who don't deserve it."

The only thing missing was a puppet wearing a little MAGA hat.
"He's like if a puka shell necklace was a person."
THOR: RAGNAROK.

Themes: The kingdom was never great. It's myth of its own greatness is wallpaper over a badly kept history of darkness. Saving the kingdom from its chickens coming home to roost may not even be feasible.
"Looking at the Trump administration, I'm starting to think I was too hard on the characters in Prometheus."  --  MrBananaGrabber
(08-20-2018, 11:53 AM)Reasor Wrote: THOR: RAGNAROK.

Themes: The kingdom was never great. It's myth of its own greatness is wallpaper over a badly kept history of darkness. Saving the kingdom from its chickens coming home to roost may not even be feasible.

Not enough about Hela's e-mails.
I watched Infinity War again and....if it were Trump running against Thanos....I'd honestly have to think about it. That's kinda sad/scary. That actual SUPERvillains seem rational or reasonable or even PREFERABLE to our actual "leadership." That's how far we've fallen..
Trump would be kissing Thanos' ass 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, in the hopes of saving his own.
"Looking at the Trump administration, I'm starting to think I was too hard on the characters in Prometheus."  --  MrBananaGrabber
While I think its theme are a lot more universal then the Trump era, FIRST REFORMED is one of the few films that really captures the feel and dread of the moment.
Honestly, he'd probably see him as a kindred spirit...big, oddly colored, tyrant with psychotic tendencies who lets his fucked up kids make a mess of things and has an odd relationship with his daughter.

If Trump had evaporated from existence, I'd probably be tempted to just leave well enough alone and not reverse things..
Thanos will at least stop killing people once the country's population is halved. And the Snap isn't nearly as regressive in its implementation as the current GOP tax plan.
(08-19-2018, 10:03 PM)somewhere Wrote: Maybe not quite in the spirit of the thread, but I submit Mad Max: Fury Road for consideration.  On a purely (mostly) allegorical level.  Again, slightly pre-dates the actual Trump era, but captures many of its themes with disturbing prescience.

I went to a screening of the B&W cut a week before the election, and the person introducing the film made a crack about how it was a preview of what Clinton would do to Trump next week. That joke... didn't age well.

Fargo S3 is a great call.
Watching both Sorry to Bother You and Blindspotting, I sensed a strong subtext of "Trump's America" -- or at least "the ugly side of contemporary America, regardless of who happens to be in the White House" -- especially the former. Not overtly, but more the way Repo Man and Aliens are very much Reagan Era movies.
Originally posted by Schwartz on Cool as Ice ("When a girl has a heart of stone, there's only one way to melt it. Just add Ice."):
"It's not just a mixed metaphor, or that the stone is one that is melting...but the ice is actually making it melt. (kisses fingers) Magnifique."