Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2.88 Average
Star Wars IX: The Rise of Skywalker - A "pain without end" Overlord discussion thread
that's more like it BARRY!!
Rainbow lightsaber or GTFO.
[Image: Rainbow-light-saber.jpg]
So glad you two are cosigning on what your good buddy Fett posted hours ago.
Well, if he wasn't a troll that I had on ignore, I'd know about it.
That's the joke!
As jokes go it's pretty good.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
One of my many faults is that I like pretty much everyone who's not CTM or DRPK, so any inter-Chewer drama would bum me the eff out if I didn't take the mick out of it.
I don't believe you like me for a second!
I like people who don't believe me most of all.
Bucho likes me. Thanks Bucho!
Git' in under mah belly!
Bucho and and me get along great.

I don't care what color the lightsabers are, just as long as this movie doesn't do anything stupid like change the backstory of Rey's parents. I like that she isn't destined to be who she is. She just wants to use her natural talents to do good.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.
I like that Rian took one giant step away from the Force being a hereditary talent exclusively. I like that it's both.
(11-29-2018, 04:09 AM)barry woodward Wrote: No saber. In the years since the events of THE LAST JEDI, she's transcended the need for one. She's now so powerful in the Force that she can shrink to a microscopic size to party with the Whills and give the midichlorians wedgies.

(11-29-2018, 08:40 PM)freeman Wrote: I like that Rian took one giant step away from the Force being a hereditary talent exclusively.  I like that it's both.

I thought the Force was like God. You either believed in it or you didn't. But the greater your belief, the stronger you were with the Force.

Granted, I consider the prequels to be apocryphal.
Surely there's characters who have the force who aren't believers in the canon somewhere... Is Rey a believer to start?
I call it luck!
(11-29-2018, 08:40 PM)freeman Wrote: I like that Rian took one giant step away from the Force being a hereditary talent exclusively.

George Lucas beat him to the punch.
(11-30-2018, 01:10 AM)bradito Wrote:
(11-29-2018, 08:40 PM)freeman Wrote: I like that Rian took one giant step away from the Force being a hereditary talent exclusively.  I like that it's both.

I thought the Force was like God. You either believed in it or you didn't. But the greater your belief, the stronger you were with the Force.

Granted, I consider the prequels to be apocryphal.

The Force has more to do with Buddhism than typical God belief. “Let go. Trust your instincts.” The Force is often referred to as an energy field. It’s less anthropomorphic and more Consciousness based, where all is one and one is all. “Reach it out with your feelings.” Zen teaches you to stay out of your intellect (thinking) because it gets in the way.
But but but... midichorides! The Whills!
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

(11-30-2018, 02:12 AM)barry woodward Wrote:
(11-29-2018, 08:40 PM)freeman Wrote: I like that Rian took one giant step away from the Force being a hereditary talent exclusively.

George Lucas beat him to the punch.

Yeah, I always interpreted that everyone is connected to the Force. Medichlorians wasn't meant to explain that there's only a subset of people that can tap into the force like many fans falsely interpreted, it was just a way to explain why the Skywalker bloodline is exceptional. Keep in mind, JEDI was the first film to make it explicit that the Skywalkers are special with The Force and why Leia would be the next best hope after Luke. THE PHANTOM MENACE simply continued that line of thinking by adding technobabble to it, for better or worse.
My problem with the Midichlorians as an element of the story is that it takes this big, spiritual concept of "The Force" and makes it mundanely quantifiable via what are, essentially, bacteria. It removes a lot of the mystery and romance just so that Lucas can emphasize (through exposition, no less, not deeds) that Anakin is powerful.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
Bellosh gets it.
Luckily it's pretty easily ignored.
I didn't need anymore exposition about The Force then what Obi-Wan gives in ANH. That and Yoda's. "Luminous creatures are we; not this crude matter."
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.
I'm crude matter.
(pinches brad)
*sharts*
lookit that crude matter!
[Image: 2nxkzg.jpg]
Not as crude as that CGI.
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

Well this thread is top quality.
You could chalk Qui-Gon’s foolish midichloreans statement as people in the past who had the best understanding at the time of The Force and that nobody I realized how much less physical it ended up being.
(12-02-2018, 01:22 AM)carnotaur3 Wrote: You could chalk Qui-Gon’s foolish midichloreans statement as people in the past who had the best understanding at the time of The Force and that nobody I realized how much less physical it ended up being.

Wow.  You made it even worse.
Midichlorians are forgivable. Virgin-birthing Anakin isn’t.