Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
It's CHRISTMAS !

Naked double berry protein smoothie hoisted. Merry Christmas!

AWife got me the shirt I wanted.
[Image: 400]

Apparently I sent my sister and her new husband a Christmas card addressed to her... and the boyfriend she dated prior to him. I'm so in the dog house right now that I may as well stick a bone in my mouth and run around on all fours like an idiot.

AAhahahahaha!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

Apparently I sent my sister and her new husband a Christmas card addressed to her... and the boyfriend she dated prior to him. I'm so in the dog house right now that I may as well stick a bone in my mouth and run around on all fours like an idiot.

Ha! I once called my (now ex-)wife's best friend's fiancee by the name of the guy who had competed for her.

I still laugh about that.

AGood Christmas here! Everyone liked what they got, and my sister made a killer roast.

My haul includes a capture box and 2TB portable drive, this kick ass wood barrel liquor dispenser and some really nice whiskey glasses. Also a grip of gift cards.
A[Image: 400]

Wife and I are about to commit to this 50oz bottle of Anchor Steam seasonal we won at her work’s Xmas party. See you on the other side.
AWow, that thing is huge!

That's a good sized bottle of beer as well. Wink
AJiminy Christmas Saxon, that's quite the pickle!

For years a cousin we spend a bunch of time with had a fella named Zane. Now she dates a gentleman named Dane. How is that even close to fair on my effed up old brain box?

Then again, I went from a long term gf named Ren to one named Rii so maybe it's just karma.

Meant to post this earlier, but here's our Christmas card from this year:

The original idea was me nerdsplaining to my gf that she was dressed as a Stranger Things character dressed as a Ghostbuster, while I was dressed as a Ghostbuster.  But instead of making fun of me for nerdsplaining, it just read as me nerdsplaining.

I'm out of rep, but Cheers HT !

In a side note, if I may - because the FAQ on this is lacking for answers...

How does one get 'rep' ?

Is this based on how many comments you leave on others' entries?

Based on how many 'rep's you get in response to a post of yours?

So... it's getting to be Christmas time!

I'm going to make a concerted effort to watch a lot of Christmas movies/TV specials this year, and while I'm not going to treat it exactly like the October Horror Movie Challenge (I have no goal I'm trying to hit), I am going to log my viewing here and write some mini-reviews for what I'm taking in.

Others are welcome to do the same!  Or just generally talk about the season, share favorite Christmas music, decorating, traditions, etc.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
I was going to suggest the same!

I’ve already watched about 20 Hallmark channel original Christmas movies about the farm/orphanage/community outreach center being closed down on a Christmas Eve!

I can’t get enough Candace Cameron (Bure).

THE CHRISTMAS THAT ALMOST WASN’T (1966) - Courtesy of Mystery Science Theater 3000
[Image: the-christmas-that-almost-wasnt-1966-300x425.jpg]
Solid episode of MST3K, but if one sets aside the riffing and tries to judge just the movie itself, we’re left with some festive Italian weirdness... and not much else.  The movie has a bit of a “half-drab/half-storybook Euro Christmas” sort of thing going on visually that is kind of interesting, but beyond that, it’s a total dud!  Horrible dubbing and music, too.

Christmas Season Viewing (Ranked by Preference)
1.    THE CHRISTMAS THAT ALMOST WASN’T (1966)
THE CHRISTMAS CHRONICLES (2018)

“Kurt Russell is Santa Claus” should be enough of a selling point to pull a movie across the finish line, but unfortunately he’s the only notable element in this otherwise very conventional piece of holiday programming.  And I say “programming” rather than “cinema,” not just because it’s a Netflix presentation, but also because this just has a very made-for-television feel about it in its execution, while also being packed with obvious, too-cloying sentimentality and some of the more obnoxious inclinations we often find in family/kid-centric comedies.  There’s no real depth (though it’s striving for some), and none of the extra, intangible seasonal richness that we see in the best Christmas movies.  It’s just a lot of contrived “We have to find a way to save Christmas!” shenanigans... albeit shenanigans bolstered by the presence of Russell; he’s an actor who can sell almost anything, and he’s pretty fun here as sort of a cool, no-nonsense incarnation of Santa that we haven’t really seen before (though still with the requisite warmth), but I don’t think he alone is reason enough to watch this.  It’s a close call, though.  

1.    THE CHRISTMAS CHRONICLES (2018)
2.    THE CHRISTMAS THAT ALMOST WASN’T (1966)
I’ve been listening to John Williams’ HOOK this evening, and while it’s not strictly-speaking a Christmas score, the finale cue does have a wonderful feel of the season.  Starting at 6:09 below, climaxing in wonderful fashion at 9:13 with warm, sweeping statements of Wendy’s theme.

Incidentally, this theme - which is something of a cousin of one of HOME ALONE’s themes - is so good that most other movies would kill to have it as their main theme, yet in HOOK it’s merely about the sixth or seventh best theme.  The score is that incredible and that packed with melody.

Anyway, it put me in a Christmas mood, so I’m sharing it here!
Only tangentially a Christmas movie (a good chunk of it does take place around Christmas and New Year’s), but I’m including it anyway!

ON HER MAJESTY’S SECRET SERVICE (1969)
[Image: 21081_1.jpg]
What a film!  

I’ve always been an admirer, and it’s always been one of my top Bond movies, but this viewing has cemented it not just as a great entry in the series, but as a great film PERIOD.  Everything about this works for me -- it’s got a fantastic plot (courtesy of a screenplay very faithful to Ian Fleming’s novel), it’s gorgeously-shot (the very rich cinematography works in conjunction with some stunning Alpine scenery to give the film a full-on epic feel... with even a touch of some Christmas iconography, as well), the action is inventively-staged (and - in the second half - pretty copious), and it features terrific turns from Diana Rigg and Telly Savalas, who go down as the series’ best leading lady and villain, respectively.  

Arriving at the very tail-end of the 1960s, there’s something so wonderfully “Bondian” about this production from top to bottom, a result - perhaps - of the filmmakers preemptively attempting to compensate for their new leading man by enhancing all the other elements of the production with extra energy and richness.  And what of that leading many, anyway?  Whatever else you might want to say about him, George Lazenby is credible (enough) throughout, particularly in the action, but in the moments that are most important for the character -- everything involving Bond’s relationship with Tracy -- Lazenby absolutely sells it, and his final moment in the movie remains one of the most well-played bits of acting in the entire franchise.  

And tying everything together is John Barry’s masterpiece of a score, which is not only the series’ best, not only Barry’s best, but one of the best film scores of all time.

At their best, the Bond films can function akin to a delightful, well-crafted cocktail or dessert.  This one (and I’d argue FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE, too) is a satisfying, full-course meal.   I love this movie.

Incidentally, the Blu-ray looks absolutely STUNNING.

1.    ON HER MAJESTY’S SECRET SERVICE (1969)
2.    THE CHRISTMAS CHRONICLES (2018)
3.    THE CHRISTMAS THAT ALMOST WASN’T (1966)
Here's the official James Bond Christmas song...

EMMET OTTER’S JUG-BAND CHRISTMAS (1977)
[Image: latest?cb=20060912223139]
Pure, wholesome, holiday sweetness.  This offers characteristically excellent puppeteering from Jim Henson and company, alongside some pretty great production design that evokes a rural/country feel in an effective way.  Even more than the Muppet movies and TV show, it is this production that feels like the closest thing to a dry run for Henson’s more ambitious projects like THE DARK CRYSTAL, because unlike the Muppets, this story is not taking place in our world and there are no humans, so everything we see had to be designed and built specifically to accommodate the all-puppet cast.  Toss in the good, catchy songs from Paul Williams, and you’ve got a very charming and earnest piece of work.

2.    EMMET OTTER’S JUG-BAND CHRISTMAS (1977)
3.    THE CHRISTMAS CHRONICLES (2018)
4.    THE CHRISTMAS THAT ALMOST WASN’T (1966)
River bottom Nightmare Band!
Yes!

I love how that song basically boils down to "We're terrible folks!"
Wife and I got our tree yesterday.

Is that for real? What a setting!

Getting my tree in the next couple days.
Fringe benefit to living on the edge of the Cascades. The White House Xmas tree came from the same forest this year.
Nice!
Put some finishing touches on my Christmas tree this evening...

BLACK CHRISTMAS (1974)

Something of an older cousin to both HALLOWEEN and WHEN A STRANGER CALLS, this remains a thoroughly chilling experience.  It’s pretty much the definitive Christmas horror film, not just because it’s very well-made, but also because it very much captures the darker, spookier atmosphere that can sometimes accompany the holiday.  The movie does an excellent job of making a fairly innocuous environment - a sorority house - feel unnerving through eerie POV camerawork and the knowledge we are given in the very first scene that that our unseen killer is prowling around the attic unbeknownst to the sorority sisters; it’s a really effective setup.  While it wouldn’t be classified as a full-on horror-comedy, the movie is often quite funny, too, which goes a long way towards giving it a unique personality.  Overall, the acting is good, the direction is great, and it gets a lot of very potent mileage out of marrying fairly classic horror and suspense ideas to seasonal iconography.

2.    BLACK CHRISTMAS (1974)
3.    EMMET OTTER’S JUG-BAND CHRISTMAS (1977)
4.    THE CHRISTMAS CHRONICLES (2018)
5.    THE CHRISTMAS THAT ALMOST WASN’T (1966)
Finally got our tree up.  Against my better judgement, we got this 10 foot behemoth:

[Image: IMG-0467-1.jpg]

Finally kicking off the holiday movies this week too, with SILENT NIGHT, DEADLY NIGHT 3 and ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE.  Its nice to see OHMSS getting a significant critical reappraisal these past few years.  Its probably a top 3 or 4 Bond flick for me.  Pretty much echoing Belloq here: Lazenby and Rigg are terrific, this is without question the best Blofeld, and the ski sequence is a real showstopper.  And its got more Christmasy stuff in it than SILENT NIGHT, DEADLY NIGHT 3!

In order of enjoyment:
1. OHMSS
2. SILENT NIGHT, DEADLY NIGHT 3
That's a beautiful tree.

Sounds like SILENT NIGHT, DEADLY NIGHT 3 is skippable!
Some damned nice trees there.
CHRISTMAS WITH THE KRANKS (2004)
[Image: Christmas-With-the-Kranks.jpg]
Why did I do this to myself?  Well, let’s chalk it up to perverse curiosity.  In any case, this was arguably even worse than I was anticipating -- it’s horrifyingly bad.  This thing is filled with the most well-worn, hackneyed, hokey, lazy nonsense; nothing is inspired, nothing has any energy, every gag and joke just sits there, limp and soggy instead of crisp and punchy.  Based on a John Grisham book (of all things!), the movie wants to be a holiday comedy with heart, but the hideously broad humor is paired extremely uneasily with an attempted emotional throughline that falls utterly flat.  It’s also a cheap-feeling movie, one clearly filmed out-of-season as evidenced by the sad, scattered piles of snow which are all the budget could apparently allow until the ending sequence.  But the most unfortunate thing is that there are talented performers here, but they are weighed down by the abysmal script from Chris Columbus, who is no stranger to quality holiday fare -  having written GREMLINS and directed HOME ALONE - but who comes up spectacularly short here.  It culminates in one of the most nuts final moments (relative to what precedes it) I’ve seen in a long time; it’s really quite something, and an appropriate capper to an awful movie.

2.    BLACK CHRISTMAS (1974)
3.    EMMET OTTER’S JUG-BAND CHRISTMAS (1977)
4.    THE CHRISTMAS CHRONICLES (2018)
5.    THE CHRISTMAS THAT ALMOST WASN’T (1966)
6.    CHRISTMAS WITH THE KRANKS (2004)
Speaking of Black Christmas...

[video=youtube]http://[/video]
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.
That's a pretty good appreciation piece. He hits upon a lot of the qualities that make the movie so effective.
(12-06-2018, 09:45 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: CHRISTMAS WITH THE KRANKS (2004)

I’m not sure who’s to blame (Tim Allen is my guess), but KRANKS has this weird undercurrent of ultra-conservatism that’s kind of off putting. I hate the scene at the tanning salon, where Jamie Lee Curtis is essentially slut-shamed by a priest and half the town for.... wearing a two piece bathing suit?

Mentioned ALL THE CREATURES WERE STIRRING in the horror thread already, but I still need to throw it on this list. A breezy 80 min anthology, very low budget but there’s some neat stuff sprinkled throughout.

In order of enjoyment:
1. OHMSS
2. ALL THE CREATURES WERE STIRRING
3. SILENT NIGHT, DEADLY NIGHT 3
(12-07-2018, 12:59 AM)fuzzy dunlop Wrote: I’m not sure who’s to blame (Tim Allen is my guess), but KRANKS has this weird undercurrent of ultra-conservatism that’s kind of off putting. I hate the scene at the tanning salon, where Jamie Lee Curtis is essentially slut-shamed by a priest and half the town for.... wearing a two piece bathing suit?

I think it's less an ideological thing (intentional or not) and more just the weird fixation the screenplay has on these two leads being the center of attention of all the other characters we encounter. There are literally multiple scenes where crowds amass out of nowhere for no reason other than to watch the characters squirm in compromising or wannabe-funny situations.

It's dire, dreadful stuff.