Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.19 Average
Trumpocalypse Now
Remember when Apple bought back its own shares after Congress' tax cut?  Big mistake:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-investm...1545925184

But, hey, we'll always have the deficits as a fun reminder, right?
[Image: 8ab243f0d55001366bb8005056a9545d]
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
(12-30-2018, 03:05 AM)Iron Maiden Wrote: Remember when Apple bought back its own shares after Congress' tax cut?  Big mistake:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-investm...1545925184

But, hey, we'll always have the deficits as a fun reminder, right?

I read “big mistake” in Jack Slater’s voice.

I love this whole John Kelly zero-fuck thing about how it’s not a wall. Someone has to be crying about this heartbreaking revelation that we don’t have this second coming of the Great Wall of China here.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
If you thought 2018 was missing one more piece about what Trump supporters think, here's one about female, college Republicans:

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/11/...al_twitter

Quote:“I have never felt oppressed in my life because I’m a woman,” said Caitlyn. “I feel oppressed at this campus because I’m a conservative,” said Cammie.

While Cammie conceded that sexism did indeed exist, she said she didn’t see it as an “overall trend. It happens more on an individual basis now,” and therefore, she said, “there’s no need for feminism in our modern society. We’ve reached a point where everyone is fairly equal among the sexes. Like, of course I would have been a feminist in the 1920s and 30s, but in 2018 I have never had any limitations set on me because I was a woman. If anything, I think there’s a slight bias to try to give women opportunities.”

Over discussions of the wage gap, the unequal number of women in management positions, and other indications of systemic sexism, the young women were ready with conservative talking points as counter-arguments. But the main issue on which they diverged from the majority of their peers was abortion. “I am strictly pro-life and I’m never gonna change,” said Cammie. “I believe life begins at conception."

“Yes, so do I,” Caitlyn said. “Like, ‘Thou shall not commit murder.’ When you get an abortion, you’re breaking one of the Ten Commandments."

And what about in the case of rape? I asked.

“It’s not that baby’s fault that it happened,” Caitlyn said. “When I hear about people who have abortions, it kind of upsets me ‘cause it’s just an inconvenience to them to have that baby, right? And, like, incest accounts for only a small portion of cases.”

Cammie looked thoughtful. “I think Plan B is morally permissible because conception can occur anytime in the six days after sex. So I think it’s O.K. And Plan B is, like, perfectly accessible—you can get it at Walmart and Target. If I was raped, I would do that."
"Get this fucking thing out of me!"  A secondhand recounting from a family member when their super conservative, pro-life girlfriend learned she was pregnant.  Yeah, both the pregnancy and the relationship were terminated.
It's stunning she pulls the "OF COURSE I'D BE A FEMINIST IN THE 1920S" and then doesn't seem to understand the issues of dictating what a woman does with her body.

They're all fucking idiots.
"Why did she do it?"
"Why are you the fucking Police?"

"Of course I'd want the right to vote.  That's what feminism is, right?"
I stopped humoring pro-lifers when they began treating the white unborn better than the minority already-born. Fuck them and their broken bible.
Why are they interviewing college students about anything but what they drank last night? Those half-formed nitwits are still laboring under the delusion that they'll get their dream job right out of school and pay off their debts in no time.
(12-30-2018, 05:09 PM)bradito Wrote: Why are they interviewing college students about anything but what they drank last night? Those half-formed nitwits are still laboring under the delusion that they'll get their dream job right out of school and pay off their debts in no time.

[img]blob:http://citizens.trouble.city/bada5955-b041-47dd-b1be-86b474300bfd[/img]
...don't do it
This is the same mechanism for why we have anti-vaxxers today, and it’s the height of uninformed privelege.

You only get the luxury of looking around and saying “See? My neighbors aren’t dying of measles and polio, so I don’t see the need to vaccinate my kids” because the generations before you TOOK THEIR FUCKING MEDICINE.

This attitude of “Things aren’t so bad, I don’t see why folks are complaining” is just so goddamn infuriating. And is ONLY found among white middle and upper class wastes of oxygen. The inability to acknowledge what you’ve benefited from, and the baked-in assumption that once a battle is won it’s somehow guaranteed to STAY won without you having to work to maintain the progress that’s been gained, just coasting by on the efforts of those who came before you.... shits unforgivable. The only consolation of this place devolving into Gilead would be watching these people have to deal with their husbands treating them like furniture.
Yes... this.
That's what MAGA is. GREAT AGAIN? who wants to go backwards in time? WHITE MEN. (and maybe those too stupid to know better.)  Not one person of colour, gay or trans,
or an intelligent women looks backwards and says "ya, those were the days, let's go back".  It's all steeped in white male (and stupid white female) privilege.  The show "Mad Men" was not parody for some.  It stoked an idyllic longing for 'white men king of the world' syndrome, sipping daytime scotch while slapping your hot secretary's ass, and going home to June Cleaver in heels serving you your potroast.  It infuriated me that during the campaign, how little MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN was not pointed out as pure racism and sexism and white privilege distilled.
Whenever someone longs for the olden days, the better days, the glory days of the 50s.... they are either old, white, stupid, or racist, or all 4.
Kurt's an asshole:

(12-30-2018, 05:48 PM)Iron Maiden Wrote: Kurt's an asshole:

How fast do you think he'll delete that post like the coward he is?

All of this is a combination of ego, ignorance, and above all else--fear.

They're terrified of the notion that there is no god, there is no heaven, and once you die all that awaits you is non-existence for all of eternity.  So they intentionally keep their heads in the sand and ignore anything that goes against the nice and neat narrative that lulls them into a false security. Anything that challenges that is met with hostility.

Because at the end of the day--they know we're right.
"Why did she do it?"
"Why are you the fucking Police?"

I didn't know about that story, or the existence of Kurt Schlichter, but I'll second your opinion.  He can go schlicht himself.  It's fun to say, for the not dead kids... schlicht...
(12-30-2018, 06:00 PM)ska oreo Wrote:

They're terrified of the notion that there is no god, there is no heaven, and once you die all that awaits you is non-existence for all of eternity.  So they intentionally keep their heads in the sand and ignore anything that goes against the nice and neat narrative that lulls them into a false security. Anything that challenges that is met with hostility.

See, even that doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. Because if you believe in Hell, holy fuck would these guys get front row seats to the human buffet.
I didn't even see the "I don't care" at first. And then, suddenly SUPERASSHOLE. I like to punch him in his throat and then tweet a picture of it saying I DONT CARE..
(12-30-2018, 06:17 PM)analog olmos Wrote: See, even that doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. Because if you believe in Hell, holy fuck would these guys get front row seats to the human buffet.
This got a bit of coverage during the campaign and the initial months of the Worst Presidency (back when some people still thought this might shake out as a normal-ish level of sleaze rather than an endless unprecedented scandal and were busy trying to read the tea leaves before the "tea" was revealed to be toxic waste,) but a lot of these people essentially subscribe to a branch of theology that says that God would only bless the righteous (conveniently ignoring all those bits in the Psalms where the psalmist bitches about how good the wicked have it on this earth) and since they're rich and not a member of an oppressed minority, they must therefore be righteous and so obviously whatever they do, think, or say is okay with the Almighty. And if He does exist, they're going to have one Hell of a surprise in store for them.

Dammit, don't scare me with possible news about Kurt Russell in this thread!
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
Commodore, there’s also a sizeable group that subscribe to the ‘God uses flawed vessels’ ideas. This allows them to overlook any evidence the Trump fellates goats because he’s ‘doing the work of the Lord’.

It’s very convenient that way.
(12-30-2018, 06:00 PM)ska oreo Wrote:

Of course they know which is why they can act like that, they don't really believe in hell.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
This one's probably worth a subscription to the Washington Post all on its own...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/...laims-day/

Highlights:

Drumpf has lied 7600 times in less than 2 years in office.

Over 5600 of those lies are from this year alone, averaging 15 lies per day, or triple his first year's pace.

In October, just before the election, he cranked it up to 40 lies per day. That's eating-a-whole-wheel-of-cheese impressive.

On the bright side, only 30% of polled people believe him. That sounds suspiciously like the % of Republicans... but is also a really low number to try to win an election with.
Gamertag: Tweakee
Because the new board's search function sucks, I can't find the original post but boone's about to lose a bet with me. (I.e., Trump will still be president as of 12:01 AM January 1, 2019.)
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Odds on that bet for 1/1/2020 feel too close to call, though...
Or 1/20/21 for that matter.
(12-31-2018, 08:57 AM)MichaelM Wrote: Because the new board's search function sucks, I can't find the original post but boone's about to lose a bet with me. (I.e., Trump will still be president as of 12:01 AM January 1, 2019.)

Congratulations! You have won the grand prize - more Trump.
Superlaser speaks for me from now on.

-Bart
I'd much rather have lost the bet, because that would've meant actually winning.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
That actually makes complete sense in this nifty Nietzschean transvaluing world we're quickly engineering.
Keep an eye on this:

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/stat...9289285632

Quote:Interesting. Government just filed a joint status report under seal for Sam Patten, a Manafort/Kilimnik associate who pleaded guilty in August to failing to register as a foreign agent and admitted to steering foreign funds to Trump's inaugural. He's been cooperating ever since.
Our President wishes the nation a happy new year:

“While I’m at the White House working, you’re out there partying tonight. But I don’t blame you,”

He packs so much lame into so few words.
Partying like it's whine-teen whiney whine!
So busy working, he has time to tweet.
Tweeting IS work.

*wipes brow with comically oversized forearm*
happy new year....wait, we're still dealing with the asshole...shit.

This could have gone in the religion forum but it seems more appropriate here.
Grifters gots to stick together...

Jerry Falwell Jr. can’t imagine Trump ‘doing anything that’s not good for the country’
Quote:You and other white evangelical leaders have strongly supported President Trump. What about him exemplifies Christianity and earns him your support?

What earns him my support is his business acumen. Our country was so deep in debt and so mismanaged by career politicians that we needed someone who was not a career politician, but someone who’d been successful in business to run the country like a business. That’s the reason I supported him.

The deficit and debt have increased during his first two years.

Yeah, Congress, the spending bill that they forced on him in order to get the military spending up to where it needed to be — he said that would be the last time he signed one of those. But he had no choice because Obama had decimated the military, and it had to be rebuilt.

Is there anything President Trump could do that would endanger that support from you or other evangelical leaders?

No.
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson

What I find depressing is that both sides could use that image as campaign material as-is.